shape
carat
color
clarity

I went to Intergem today - and bought a spinel!

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all, we had Intergem today. I went and visited Elke & Bill at VanceGems (I really do like them!)
I bought a blue spinel. Its dark but I do like the blue. Bill says its cobalt blue (looked at it with filter) with apatite inclusions
stats:
3.08 ct
9.5 x 8.8
Sri Lanka

I'm wondering if a recut might help to brighten it? But I'm assuming since Bill cut it - that's probably not too possible.... hmmmm

_993.jpg

_994.jpg

_995.jpg

_996.jpg

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
few more pics

_997.jpg

_998.jpg

_999.jpg

_1000.jpg

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice! Good size, too. Is it going in that setting?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any better pics? I know it is dark but in some pictures, I cannot even make out the colour. I am doubtful a recut will improve its performance.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful color! Some cameras deepen the color of the stones, so perhaps it is not overly dark IRL?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great size! Looks good in that setting - is that it's new home? How exciting to go to intergem!! Lucky :appl:

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks all!
Its definitely a dark stone - but not black dark. I'm happy with the blue. Here are a few more pic now that its daylight here...
Yes, I'm hoping the ring you see it in will be its new home. Though I may try out some other settings just for fun when I go to the jeweler...

_1002.jpg

_1003.jpg

_1004.jpg

_1005.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Nice big blue spinel. I'm sure you had lots of pretties to look through. I can see the blue flashes in your photos that this stone gives off.

Aren't Elke and Bill great? I visit them each June when Intergem comes to my town, and this year I picked up my pink star sapphire from Bill. It is my favorite ring these days. I'm so glad they bring beautiful stones to town, and let me look through them at the show. A real treat.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just my opinion. The stone is large, and blue spinels are rare, and the color is beautiful. Sometimes a recut may improve performance, but the price will go down. I always ask to set such stones maxilally high, no halos, nothing to block access of light from the sides. It helps. Also, have you looked at it under Chelsea filter? It may be cobalt-bearing.

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks FlyGirl! I do really like Bill & Elke. They are so nice and make it so much fun! They are always happy to just pull stuff out for you to see. I don't really shop with anyone at Intergem except Vance and Prima. What a beautiful way to spend an afternoon :D And I LOVE that star you got from them - just beautiful! :love:

Thanks Ark! - you know I was having the same thought. When I go to the jeweler I'm going to bring this ring with me. But I'm also going to try it in some plain solitaire mounts and compare to see if one makes the stone look better than the other. Great idea, thank you!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the deep color with light blue flashes.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yes, bring the spinel along to see which type of setting best suits it. My guess would be an open setting to allow lots of light with some bling accents on the shank. Definitely try out different metals too.

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
Jbkhere what a lovely blue stone! I have a smaller but equally lively blue spinel. It is set a little high and i love the glints of lighter blue that happen. Look forward to seeing it set.

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1348360027|3273006 said:
Oh yes, bring the spinel along to see which type of setting best suits it. My guess would be an open setting to allow lots of light with some bling accents on the shank. Definitely try out different metals too.

Thanks Chrono! I'm limited to rose gold or platinum. Do you think this stone would look OK with RG? I suppose I could do a plat or RG shank with a yellow gold head...

Thanks Wordie! I think I may have the same illness as TL as I love halos! :lol: But I think I agree that this stone will be better served in a higher set non-halo setting.....

I go to see my jeweler tomorrow :appl:

ieatbugs

Shiny_Rock
jbkhere|1348269086|3272495 said:
Hi all, we had Intergem today. I went and visited Elke & Bill at VanceGems (I really do like them!)
I bought a blue spinel. Its dark but I do like the blue. Bill says its cobalt blue (looked at it with filter) with apatite inclusions
stats:
3.08 ct
9.5 x 8.8
Sri Lanka

I'm wondering if a recut might help to brighten it? But I'm assuming since Bill cut it - that's probably not too possible.... hmmmm

HEY me too! Elke was wonderful and chatty and I got some sphene from her!! She had some excellent specimens there, too bad they don't have an online store :( Would love to purchase from her in the future.

Also bought an andalusite garnet at Primagems. The cut is PERFECT!!!

Wasn't the radisson that the show was in weird? I felt like I walked down a million hallways to finally get to the convention center wya in the back!

ieatbugs

Shiny_Rock
jbkhere|1348395168|3273124 said:
Chrono|1348360027|3273006 said:

Thanks Chrono! I'm limited to rose gold or platinum. Do you think this stone would look OK with RG? I suppose I could do a plat or RG shank with a yellow gold head...

Thanks Wordie! I think I may have the same illness as TL as I love halos! :lol: But I think I agree that this stone will be better served in a higher set non-halo setting.....

I go to see my jeweler tomorrow :appl:

PS Do you have a jeweler you can recommend for having things set if you're in a similar area to me? :)

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
ieatbugs|1348408428|3273157 said:
jbkhere|1348269086|3272495 said:
stats:
3.08 ct
9.5 x 8.8
Sri Lanka

HEY me too! Elke was wonderful and chatty and I got some sphene from her!! She had some excellent specimens there, too bad they don't have an online store :( Would love to purchase from her in the future.

Also bought an andalusite garnet at Primagems. The cut is PERFECT!!!

Wasn't the radisson that the show was in weird? I felt like I walked down a million hallways to finally get to the convention center wya in the back!

You know, I was walking around wondering if there were any other PS'ers there! :wacko: Isn't Elke great? She's so much fun AND they have such pretties to see too!

I parked at the far end of the building. Just had to walk in and go down a flight of stairs straight into the show. But I just got lucky when I parked!
Your garnet is beautiful, congrats!! :appl:

I'm in Delaware. The jeweler I use (and I think he is GREAT) is Lenny at DelHaven Jewelers. The have a store in the Concord Mall and a store down in Newark in Peoples Plaza.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results