shape
carat
color
clarity

I want your input - Stone and setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock

Hello all. I’ve been lurking on the forum for a long time.

10.gif
I am trying to decide on a diamond and setting. I hope everyone will give me some input. I am a big-time procrastinator and will have a hard time making up my mind alone. The hubby says buy whatever I like, so he’s not much help! When we have looked at the B&M stores, we have very similar tastes, so I do know he won’t be looking at my choice and thinking it’s ugly. He’s pretty easy going. My budget and goal is to not go over $6000 for the diamond and setting. I have a preference for quality over size. That being said, the diamonds I’ve looked at wind up being somewhere around .7 to .75 in size to fit into this budget. I would love to go up to a carat, but I am really wanting the best symmetry, color, and inclusion (or lack thereof) that fits my budget. I have read on posts that if I go with a hearts and arrows diamond, I can forgo a bit of color and clarity. But when I search for diamonds, I can’t really seem to find the “one” that I would go with. I am only looking for round stones.

My story is – I have a Diana platinum/18k gold band (size 4) that was my original wedding ring over 11 years ago. (First marriage 8 years before that was an itty bitty .3 carat yellow gold tiffany setting with a gold band – size 3) I hadn’t wanted to duplicate that same ol’ same ol’ the second time around, and always told my husband he “couldn’t afford” what I’d want, so I’d wait. About 4 or so years ago, he got me a very nice channel set eternity band, .05 stones, size 4.5. I know wear that eternity band on my left hand, and my Diana band on my right. I have very small hands, stubby fingers, and am only 5’ tall.

I am now to the point that I don’t want to wait any longer! Jeez, we have one kid about to be a senior in high school, one in middle school, and one in elementary – all girls! We’ve talked about getting the ring, and while I could spend more, I really feel that the $6k is where I am comfortable indulging.

Ok, long post – sorry. I am not known for short stories! Or quick decisions…

23.gif

Stones:
So far, I have been really impressed with Whiteflash and their selection of stones. I have listed two below, and I’d like to solicit responses from anyone interested in chiming in to help me make this decision, look at every option, and maybe head in a different direction if I’m off base.

Here are two stones I like:

#1 Stone: http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-231926.htm

0.745 ct G VVS2 A Cut Above H&A
$3,965.00
Item Code: AGS-8302305
. Report: AGS
. Shape: A Cut Above H&A
. Carat: 0.745
. Depth %: 61.6
. Table %: 55.6
. Crown Angle: 35
. Crown %: 15.7
. Star : 54.5
. Pavilion Angle: 40.8
. Pavilion %: 42.9
. Lower Girdle %: 75.6
. Girdle: Thin to Medium
. Measurements: 5.82-5.84X3.59
. Light Performance: 0
. Polish: Ideal
. Symmetry: Ideal
. Culet: Pointed
. Fluorescence: Negligible
Stone #1 does not have the hearts posted. It has a larger measurement, and is slightly less.

#2 Stone: http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-191592.htm

0.728 ct G VVS1 A Cut Above H&A
$4,158.00
Item Code: AGS-8125002
. Carat: 0.728
. Depth %: 61
. Table %: 56.2
. Crown Angle: 34.9
. Crown %: 15.3
. Star : 50.5
. Pavilion Angle: 40.6
. Pavilion %: 42.8
. Lower Girdle %: 74.8
. Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick Faceted
. Measurements: 5.76-5.79X3.55

Any ideas on other stones you see on Whiteflash that might have larger measurements? Sparkle, sparkle, sparkle, that’s what I want most though.

Settings:
Since my hands are so small, I think I’ll go with just the ering band, but either of these I could go with the wedding band as well. I’d just need to up my budget… But 5 mm is probably too big. Could do setting A though with both bands.

#A setting: http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/The--Legato--with-Micro-Pave_1071.htm
$1,495 in platinum
2 mm band. I assume that this legato head could be done for a round stone. I like the thin band. I like the legato head. But would a stone the size that I’m considering look too small in this head? I want the stone to appear “large” on my hand, and not be too encased in the head.

#B setting: http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/-Diamonds-for-an-Eternity-_998.htm
$1,695 in platinum
2.5 band. I love this band as well. Head seems a bit cheesier, but I’m not opposed to it. But would my size diamond sit up too high? This band retains some of the "eternity" feel of the band I currently wear. This one is a shared prong band.

Whatever I pick, I’d plan on wearing it everyday. I will definitely go with platinum.
My one other question – platinum head for sure, right? I can’t image having a white gold head. Seems weird. Do you know what Whiteflash normally does? I’ve not talked to them yet.

At the B&M, I saw the A. Jaffe micro pave setting with the square shank. LOVE the square shank. Does Whiteflash order in from any designers?

Well, I better end this post! Thanks for reading...and thanks to those who have enough time to respond.
26.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi and welcome to Pricescope!
36.gif

Firstly the settings - they are both beautiful! I am pretty sure if the setting is platinum, the head will be too.

Now the diamonds - is there any reason for the VVS1 and VVS2 clarity? If you were willing to go for an SI1 which is eyeclean you could save some money
9.gif

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/15/2007 2:18:33 PM
Author:cinnamon013

That being said, the diamonds I’ve looked at wind up being somewhere around .7 to .75 in size to fit into this budget. I would love to go up to a carat, but I am really wanting the best symmetry, color, and inclusion (or lack thereof) that fits my budget. I have read on posts that if I go with a hearts and arrows diamond, I can forgo a bit of color and clarity.

Hey Cinnamon,

You are on the right track...

G is a very nice color decision, but VVS clarity is overkill, because you are paying for something you can''t see and does not increase light performance...

VS2 stones will be completely eye-clean-- in fact, many VS2 inclusions are hard to find to an untrained eye even under a 10x loupe...

So, that being said, I think you should be looking for G/VS2 stones, in which case you can increase the size accordingly without any sacrifice in observable quality.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you were willing to go to an ''H'' you could save a significant amount of money -

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-232031.htm

But if you want to stay with a ''G'' you could still save money by going to SI1 too.... if its eyeclean. The vendor will tell you and explain their definition of eyeclean too.

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-231176.htm

I am sure there are loads more to show you but I will wait to hear what you think so far
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi cinnamon,

Congrats on your new ring!!

I'm going to just address the stone first. I'm not sure just how much you've read on here, but cut is what makes a diamond sparkle, not color or clarity. Color is a personal thing, and G is a great way to go, but yes, in a well cut stone, of this size, you could definitely go H and be safe. Also, the clarity levels you're looking at are, honestly, way overkill.
2.gif
There is absoloutely no need to start any higher than VS2, that will almost always assure the stone being eyeclean., However, there are many, many SI1's and even some SI2's that can be eyeclean.

If you don't want to be able to see anything from any distance, at any angle, then tell the vendor that. If you take all this into consideration, you can go bigger/save money.

Having said all this, I would not recommend the two you've picked, just because of the clarity.

Here are some examples I found, of what I would suggest/buy, and I'm picky.
2.gif
(assuming any SI1's are eyeclean, you'll need to ask)

http://whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-232069.htm#

http://whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-232043.htm#

http://whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-191623.htm

http://whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-191612.htm

ETA I see you got some other good suggestions while I was posting.
5.gif

BunniBling

Shiny_Rock
cinn:

Hello & congrats on your upcoming purchase!

The previous posters have given you great advice; unless you''re "married" (ha) to the idea of VVS or VS, I would absolutely consider looking at eye-clean SIs. In a well cut stone, you will not be able to see the inclusions; you''ll get a little more size bang for your buck. Also, IMO a round can tolerate more color than fancies; you owe it to yourself to at least check out an H or two before you make a final decision.

Also, I love the settings you''ve chosen. Like you, I have relatively small paws (4.25 - 4.5) and short, non-piano playing fingers.
3.gif
It''s always exciting to find fairly "skinny" shanks that still have style!

Good luck!

-J

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
This is good info for me. If indeed VS2 can''t be seen by me or others, then I will look at these also. Knowing they don''t affect light quality is important. Going to the SI1 is something I''ll to have to think about a bit more. Eye clean I always see talked about, but do these inclusions at the SI1 level not affect light?

I guess some of my feeling about inclusions go back to that first solitaire I got when I was 21 from my first husband. It had an inclusion in it that I could see when I held the ring sideways. Looked like a line across the bottom 1/3 of the diamond. I always felt a bit funny about that. So now I''m paranoid that I''m actually going to choose the diamond and want to make sure I can''t "spy" those.

Saving the money on the diamond is not the most important thing, unless it helps me go up in size. For instance, I''ll be happy spending the $4000-4500 on the diamond. So - if there is a larger size that has the VS2 or SI1 eyeclean inclusions, but still G, then yes, that would be good.

FYI, the diamonds I pulled had the highest or second highest cut quality. I also kept polish at the 2 highest choices. I assume what you are both saying is that these are more important than the inclusion level. Light return with the cut being the biggest deal.

So, between the G and the H, what would I notice?

Saving the money on the diamond, would in fact, help me buy the wedding band to make the set. Oops, I think I am now sort of contradicting myself...I told you I''m a mess.
28.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did the "inclusion" look something like this?

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/girdle-reflection.3285/

As for inclusions interferring with light return, no, SI1 is not a problem, or even SI2, as long as it doesn't have too may clouds.

As for what difference you are going to see in a G vs. H? That depends on your eyes. You might be able to tell the difference side by side, but seperate, I doubt you'd notice anything.

If you keep polish at Ideal or Very Good, you will not be able to see the difference.

BunniBling

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/15/2007 3:31:34 PM
Author: cinnamon013
This is good info for me. If indeed VS2 can''t be seen by me or others, then I will look at these also. Knowing they don''t affect light quality is important. Going to the SI1 is something I''ll to have to think about a bit more. Eye clean I always see talked about, but do these inclusions at the SI1 level not affect light?

I guess some of my feeling about inclusions go back to that first solitaire I got when I was 21 from my first husband. It had an inclusion in it that I could see when I held the ring sideways. Looked like a line across the bottom 1/3 of the diamond. I always felt a bit funny about that. So now I''m paranoid that I''m actually going to choose the diamond and want to make sure I can''t ''spy'' those.

Saving the money on the diamond is not the most important thing, unless it helps me go up in size. For instance, I''ll be happy spending the $4000-4500 on the diamond. So - if there is a larger size that has the VS2 or SI1 eyeclean inclusions, but still G, then yes, that would be good.

FYI, the diamonds I pulled had the highest or second highest cut quality. I also kept polish at the 2 highest choices. I assume what you are both saying is that these are more important than the inclusion level. Light return with the cut being the biggest deal.

So, between the G and the H, what would I notice?

Saving the money on the diamond, would in fact, help me buy the wedding band to make the set. Oops, I think I am now sort of contradicting myself...I told you I''m a mess.
28.gif
I''m in agreement with you; I (personally) would never be happy with being able to see such an obvious pavilion inclusion w/ the naked eye. My SI comfort level is definitely on the conservative side. Some SIs (mine) have a small inclusion or two in the table, which are completely hidden by the facet pattern. Nothing ugly or icky is visible!

Seems everyone has a different color (or tint) tolerance. I''ve always found that round excellent/ideal cuts can face up (and "side up", too) nice and bright, all the way to ''J'' color. I would have never believed it, had I not looked and looked and looked some more. Of course, a ''D'' is a ''D'', but when you''re talking about ''G-H'' and even ''I'', it can be really hard sometimes to pick up any warmth that might be there. In certain lighting conditions, it may be a tad more obvious (to YOU), but we''re still talking about a nice white stone. Pretty...
1.gif

-J

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/15/2007 3:47:20 PM
Author: Ellen
Did the ''inclusion'' look something like this?

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/girdle-reflection.3285/

As for inclusions interferring with light return, no, SI1 is not a problem, or even SI2, as long as it doesn''t have too may clouds.

As for what difference you are going to see in a G vs. H? That depends on your eyes. You might be able to tell the difference side by side, but seperate, I doubt you''d notice anything.

If you keep polish at Ideal or Very Good, you will not be able to see the difference.
Yep, that''s what it looked like!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2007 3:54:13 PM

Then I guess from that thread, you realise it wasn''t an inclusion, but a reflection of the girdle (that all diamonds have)?
2.gif

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/15/2007 3:56:35 PM

Date: 4/15/2007 3:54:13 PM

Then I guess from that thread, you realise it wasn''t an inclusion, but a reflection of the girdle (that all diamonds have)?
2.gif
So much info here! Yes, now I realize that after you pointing out that post. Thanks!

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s some other stones I''ve found that are interesting:
1:
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-191620.htm#
.772 ct G VS1 A Cut Above H&A
$3,800.00
Item Code: AGS-8125302
. Carat: 0.772
. Depth %: 62
. Table %: 56.4
. Crown Angle: 34.8
. Star : 50.4
. Pavilion Angle: 40.7
. Lower Girdle %: 75.8
. Measurements: 5.87-5.89X3.55

2:
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-191594.htm#
0.771 ct H VVS2 A Cut Above H&A
$3,645.00
Item Code: AGS-8125004
. Carat: 0.771
. Crown Angle: 34.7
. Crown %: 15.2
. Star : 52.3
. Pavilion %: 43
. Lower Girdle %: 77.2
. Girdle: Thin to Medium Faceted
. Measurements: 5.91-5.93X3.62

3:
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-232002.htm#
0.805 ct H VS1 A Cut Above H&A
$3,596.00
Item Code: AGS-8343303
. Carat: 0.805
. Table %: 57
. Crown %: 15.1
. Star : 52.9
. Lower Girdle %: 78
. Measurements: 6.00-6.02X3.67
4:
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-232034.htm#
0.794 ct H VS2 A Cut Above H&A
$3,318.00
Item Code: AGS-8343404
. Carat: 0.794
. Depth %: 60.8
. Table %: 57.3
. Crown %: 14.9
. Star : 55.2
. Pavilion %: 42.9
. Lower Girdle %: 75.6
. Measurements: 5.97-5.99X3.64
There''s H color stones here, one G. Still all ideal polish, ideal symmetry. Prices not that significantly different.

So far, several of you have said to go with G. What do you think of these stones? Would you go with a G, or would you go with any of these H''s?

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Those all look great . . . I''d go with an H to get a better price or a bigger diamond but if you are comparing a G with lower clarity to a H with higher clarity, I would go with a G . . . color over clarity for me.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Cinnamon, I''m a total clarity snob. I had an IF diamond and I loved it. That being said, the diamond I have now is an SI1 and I cannot see anything without a loup. I am completely satisfied with the clarity of it. If you want a larger diamond you can definitely go lower in clarity and still get something completely eye clean that does not have inclusions that interfere with light performance.

I think an F G H color is really wonderful for a RB stone. You could go down to an H with no problem.

Still you have a very nice budget to work with and 75-80 points will look fab on your small hands. If you wanted to stay in the G VS2 range you will still be able to get a very nice setting for your diamond.

As far as settings, it is sooooooo personal. I like a solitaire because I don''t have to worry about the side diamonds, but they do add to the sparkle and glitter.

Good luck with your search. You are on the right track!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Out of those 4, I''d go with the H VS2.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/15/2007 8:08:26 PM
Out of those 4, I''d go with the H VS2.

Is that because you think it''s the best value for the $?

I swear, these are the last 2 I''m going to post. These are a return to the G color. Still ideal polish and symmetry. But SI1''s that I will ask WF if they are eye clean.

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-232043.htm#

0.831 ct G SI1 A Cut Above H&A
$3,553.00
Item Code: AGS-8343504
. Carat: 0.831
. Depth %: 61.3
. Table %: 57.4
. Crown Angle: 34.6
. Crown %: 14.8
. Star : 57.4
. Lower Girdle %: 76
. Measurements: 6.03-6.05X3.70

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-232068.htm

0.812 ct G SI1 A Cut Above H&A
$3,467.00

Item Code: AGS-8343605
. Carat: 0.812
. Depth %: 61.9
. Crown Angle: 34.9
. Crown %: 15.4
. Star : 53.4
. Pavilion Angle: 40.9
. Pavilion %: 43.1 t
. Lower Girdle %: 76.3
. Measurements: 5.97-5.99X3.70

Most of these are all pretty close in price.
22.gif
(Including those I''ve already listed - except for that $4k one on my very first post. Ditch it out of the consideration. How does the measurements come into play with which one you would pick? Althought the carat weight can be slightly more, the measurements are not that much different... It seems like all of the ones I''ve listed, since they are all ideal in cut, would all pretty much seem like they are the same size. Therefore, with price being so close, I''d want to factor in some other criteria to make a decision. What would that be with so many of the measurements and other specs being the nearly the same?

Ladies and gents - you are the best for helping me out on a Sunday afternoon.
37.gif

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
What about this stone?

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2246/
With the pricescope discount = $4799, 0.904 E, SI2

Is this too high for your budget?
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131&item=1024783
With the pricescope discount = $4890, 0.95 F, SI1

This one is nice and spready
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131&item=859911
With the pricescope discount = $4320 0.93 G, SI1

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, I was picking that H VS2 for the value.

And yes, these are all basically the same size.

So compared to the two new ones, I would pick one of the G SI1''s, as you get a higher color for very little money. The first one looks like it could definitely be eyeclean. If they both were, I''d have them look at them and pick the one they like.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/15/2007 8:55:22 PM
Yes, I was picking that H VS2 for the value.

And yes, these are all basically the same size.

So compared to the two new ones, I would pick one of the G SI1''s, as you get a higher color for very little money. The first one looks like it could definitely be eyeclean. If they both were, I''d have them look at them and pick the one they like.
Great! I''ll be calling WF in the morning to have them check these out. I agree with the first one. Measurements good, weight good, color good, price good.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/15/2007 8:41:29 PM
Author: InlovewithJHK
What about this stone?

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2246/
With the pricescope discount = $4799, 0.904 E, SI2

Is this too high for your budget?
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131&item=1024783
With the pricescope discount = $4890, 0.95 F, SI1

This one is nice and spready
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131&item=859911
With the pricescope discount = $4320 0.93 G, SI1
The settings I like are both Whiteflash settings, one is $1495 and the other is $1695. So that means I have a self imposed limit of $4300-$4500 for the stone. And since these settings are WF, I''m looking only at diamonds in their inventory.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s the 2 stones I''m choosing from after speaking with Lesley at WF today. Very nice lady.

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-191620.htm
#

.772 ct G VS1 A Cut Above H&A
$3,800.00
Item Code: AGS-8125302
. Carat: 0.772
. Depth %: 62
. Table %: 56.4
. Crown Angle: 34.8
. Star : 50.4
. Lower Girdle %: 75.8
. Measurements: 5.87-5.89X3.55

The one above would have more fire. The one below more brilliance. This is really only according to the specs. Visually, Lesley says all the stones I had in mind are the same. Having these two side by side, the one below would appear larger.

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-232043.htm#

$3,553.00

Taking price out of the equation, which one would you pick? Larger measurements? Can you look at the Aset and Ideal scope images, and let me know what you think? Is this just splitting hairs at this point since they are really close? Call you tell from the photos if you''d go with one over the other?

This is likely the setting:
http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/The--Legato--with-Micro-Pave_1071.htm

Thanks!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
both are lovely. i would go with the *slightly larger* g/si
3.gif

the legato is sooo pretty! love that head!

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
I would also go with the slightly larger G SI combo.

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
If you''ve been assured the G/SI1 is eye-clean from a distance you are comfortable with, then I would go with that one.

kohdy

Shiny_Rock
Personally I would go for G VS1. I guess I am the minority here, but I do get bothered with SI''s even if they are eye clean-it has to do with all those marks you see on the certificate. I just don''t seem to get over them even if I don''t see them with naked eyes! For this reason, I would not consider anything less than VS quality even for stud earrings. But like I said, it is something personal. Maybe I am just a little too picky and unreasonable?
6.gif
As for the setting, the first one you listed looks WONDERFUL! Good luck!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2007 12:16:08 AM
Author: boston_jeff
If you''ve been assured the G/SI1 is eye-clean from a distance you are comfortable with, then I would go with that one.
Ditto.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
YIPPPPEEEE!
41.gif

Thanks for everyone''s input! I did it! I really, really did it! My hubby is glad as well. He really likes the setting, so I know he''ll like looking at it. I flail my hands a lot when I talk, so it''ll be real noticeable!

I went for this stone! As you know by my post, I just couldn''t decide. I worried about this and that. Lesley at WF called and connected me with Brian. Wow, he is awesome. He spent time addressing my concerns and was absolutely the best.

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-232043.htm# (Notice the SOLD! yay!)

$3,553.00

This is my setting, platinum, size 4.5:

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/The--Legato--with-Micro-Pave_1071.htm

I''ll post some pics when I get it.
2.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
excellent choice. Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results