shape
carat
color
clarity

I Want One!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
FI and I really want to get a pet, but are limited to what we can have since we live in a townhouse. We both like cats and dogs and are allowed to have either (dogs have to be less than 30 or 50 lbs, can''t remember which), but FI really really wants a dog. He''s been saying forever that he wants a husky which is bigger than what we''re allowed to have (and in my opinion it would be unfair to keep a husky in a townhouse w/o a fenced in backyard) whereas I like smaller dogs. We''d been joking forever about getting a "mini husky" which we were sure didn''t exist...

...until I searched for it online today and actually found something! It''s called the Alaskan Klee Klai and they''re so cute! They come in 3 sizes: toy, miniature and standard. FI said toy is too small and I think the standard is just a touch too big, so we''ve agreed that if/when we get one it''ll be the miniature which are 13-15 inches long and 10-15 lbs.

The closest breeder is about an hour and a half away and I''ve sent her an email asking when she''ll have puppies available and what the approximate cost is. I''m kind of worried that they''ll be very expensive since they''re considered a rare breed and haven''t been around very long. I can''t wait to hear back though!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I hope you get a puppy that is sweet and healthy. Do lots of research first about the breed, etc.!!! Good luck to you and FI.

gail013

Shiny_Rock
Hi Robbie-

Dogs are so much fun, and those puppies are so darn cute. If you have never had a dog though, you will want to consider how much exercise a dog like this will need. Any breeder who is serious about what she does will ask you a ton of questions-be prepared. This last year when I was looking for a puppy ( I ended up with two!), I felt like an adoptive parent having to fill out questionaires about our history and what WE could provide for the dogs! They will want to know how much time is the dog alone, and what kind of fence will you have for it-that kind of thing.

Also ask what kind of health problems they may be prone to. There are some breeds predispositioned to certain things. While any dog will develop something, there are others you may want to avoid. Take your time, there is a perfect dog out there for you. There is also a website called Petfinder, which is a national data base and allows you to search for dogs that need a home by your zip code which is kinda neat. You will also want to find out how much upkeep they are-do they shed etc.

I have also been told by other breeders that there is no guarantee of dog sizes. I know I was looking at the mini goldendoodle which is darn cute, but the breeders did day they couldn''t promise I wouldn''t have a fluke and get one bigger. So I went another route and hoped for the best. Some of those designer dogs are upwards of $1200.

I Don''t mean to discourage you, just want you to know a few things to look for-good luck

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys! I''m not new to the dog world. I''ve had dogs my entire life. This will just be my first one since moving out from my parents house. FI had a dog while growing up as well.

I''ve read everything I can find so far about the breed and apparently there are no major health problems. I''m going to keep reading up on that though because that just sounds too good to be true.

These dogs do shed a lot, which I''m not crazy about, but FI isn''t really crazy about any of the non-shedding breeds and I grew up with dogs that shed all over the place so it won''t be too much of a shock. I actually had a husky mix at one point while I was growing up.

I looked on petfinder, but only 3 dogs were listed under this breed and they weren''t in my area. Honestly I''d be ok getting a mut from a shelter, but FI really has his heart set on a husky. These look like huskys, but according to what I''ve read so far, they''re great dogs for people who don''t have a whole lot of space. We have a 2-bedroom townhouse which would be a great size for a smaller dog.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
The mini does sound like a nice size... our mini schnauzer is around 12 inches and 18lbs. Shes perfect in our 1800sqft townhouse. Always plenty of room for her to run around when its nasty weather, and a decent little backyard for her. Too bad your FI doesnt like the non-shedding... growing up with black and yellow labs, I love being hair free!

If you are planning on having kids, I would check and make sure they get along with them as well, specifically small children. Smaller dogs tend to live a long time (15-20 years) and would need to tolarate a tyke! I know when we were looking, we took some breeds off our list at the mention of not liking smaller children.

Im off to find a pic of them!

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
My fiance''s aunt is actually one of the few breeders of Klee Kai''s in the country. They are still a developing breed so the litters are all closely monitored. I don''t want to discourage you but from what I know they are very expensive and there are usually waiting lists years long for puppies. They are darn cute though!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Awe, maybe that''s why the breeder I wrote to hasn''t responded
8.gif
. Any idea what the approximate range is that your FI''s aunt charges?

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not sure what she charges (I know it is a lot!) but I will ask when I see her on Christmas. I''ll try and take some pics cause hers is CUTE!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Please please do your homework and find out as much as you can about this breed. I was in love with a breed that was less common and not a lot of breeders were in the States and I passed...I got Maya (the Chessie) instead, because a family member breeds them and has been for 20 years, and is also a vet and shows them. She asked around about the breed I wanted and really could not give me enough good info...so please do as much as you can in preparation. You do not want to pay a fortune and fall in love and have it not work out!

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I have researched this breed a bit myself and know that they are quite rare and expensive. I have found prices from $1100 to $1600 to be the average.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
awe man, that''s a bit out of our price range for a dog
8.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Robbie, that is pretty standard for a pedigreed dog. What about going to the local shelter or going on line to that breed and seeing if they have a rescue organization for them? My cousin raises Newfies and runs a rescue org for people who cannot keep their dogs...do know a lot about your breed, but there might be a rescue option. Just do your research about the pros and cons of the breed and any others you might like...save you a lot of issues down the road...

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Please do at least check out your local shelter. It really bothers me when people give so much money to breeders when dogs die each day because there is no one to love them. Shelter dogs make just as good of pets as pedigreed dogs do, sometimes better as those of us know who have dogs eternally greatful for rescuing them.

Also, just about any breed you can imagine besides the newer/rarer breeds have several rescue organinzations so you can still get a purebred and save a life. If you simply type in boxer rescue, boston terrier rescue, german shepard rescue etc. in google, rescue organizations will pop up.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results