shape
carat
color
clarity

I want GSS pearl earrings but I don't think they are right for my skin tone

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Takahashi has been posting gorgeous GSS drop earrings lately. One pair is exactly my style and SO tempting. But I have always felt that GSS just don't look right with my skin tone.

My mom has one pair of GSS earrings. I borrowed them to take a pic. I'd love opinions...

IMG_1708.jpg

Rhd3

Shiny_Rock
I always thought GSS were unflattering to my skin tone until I tried on a very deep golden color. It might be a matter of finding the right tone but I know that's practically impossible to do online. I suspect you might just need more depth.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I always thought GSS were unflattering to my skin tone until I tried on a very deep golden color. It might be a matter of finding the right tone but I know that's practically impossible to do online. I suspect you might just need more depth.

Yes, it’s tricky to figure out what shade will work. Perhaps I should just focus on peacock Tahitian drops next.

But this pair is so pretty. I wish someone else would buy them!

02DFC227-89F3-4B18-9EE9-01EEE6F0AD24.jpeg

Rhd3

Shiny_Rock
Yes, it’s tricky to figure out what shade will work. Perhaps I should just focus on peacock Tahitian drops next.

But this pair is so pretty. I wish someone else would buy them!

02DFC227-89F3-4B18-9EE9-01EEE6F0AD24.jpeg

They are really pretty! They look to be a deeper tone than your mom's earrings but Takahashi is final sale, aren't they? I probably wouldn't take the risk unless I was pretty confident. Too bad you can't try them on virtually.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
They are really pretty! They look to be a deeper tone than your mom's earrings but Takahashi is final sale, aren't they? I probably wouldn't take the risk unless I was pretty confident. Too bad you can't try them on virtually.

Yes, it would be final sale. I adore the blue Akoya drop earrings I have from them, but I’m just not sure I love the way GSS look on me…

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
I considered that Takahashi GSS drop earring as well - it is so pretty. But I decided the pearls seem to be about the same color as my below shoulder-length hair. I worried that the pearls wouldn't be visible because they would just blend in with my hair. I'm hoping a PSer buys them and posts some ear shots as I'd love to see them.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I considered that Takahashi GSS drop earring as well - it is so pretty. But I decided the pearls seem to be about the same color as my below shoulder-length hair. I worried that the pearls wouldn't be visible because they would just blend in with my hair. I'm hoping a PSer buys them and posts some ear shots as I'd love to see them.

Me too! They are so tempting! Hope they stay ‘in the family.’ :)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GSSs are tough. There’s body colour but then there’s also iridescence colour, and you might have strong personal preferences on both!! Pearl Paradise is my go-to for GSS because of their no-hassle free return policy - especially if you’re buying your first pearls.

Two of my GSS bracelets on me and against Caucasian skin. The champagnes are from Takahashi, and have mostly pink overtones. The deep golds (I have two of these bubble bracelets) mostly have green overtones, and all my deep GSS are from Pearl Paradise.

DFAF50E9-FC27-4073-9AC4-BA1084C6D414.jpeg

8D450D81-DF17-4736-BEDC-215BA11BD8D1.jpeg

8EBC9D57-142C-4F4A-BC07-CE0D811DA513.jpeg

D5053027-3D87-45D1-8DBF-0A5DAAE51720.jpeg

I personally think very light golds (like @Ann’s) are pretty much universally flattering, but for those who shine in deep golds - it’s a sight to behold!! My skin is both a bit too warm and not quite dark enough for the “24k gold” pearl colour IMO.

Last edited:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@yssie Thanks for this GSS color/ skin comparison and please thank your DH too! :)

I appreciate your input! I’ll stick with the safe route and look at Pearl Paradise. I think what I want is a deep golden color.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had deep golden SS pearls (pendant and drop earrings), which I thought looked great on me when I had medium brown hair and then light blonde hair, but once I transitioned fully to silver/gray hair, the deep goldens became unflattering to my eyes ... it was the green overtone ... I no longer wear any shade of green next to my face/hair, whether clothing or jewelry ... the green seems to drab out my whole look.

I did keep a couple lighter gold SS loose pearls, for a harvest-style bracelet I hope to complete this year.

@lulu_ma, maybe you could order a 2 loose GSS pearls from Pearl Paradise, one deeper and one lighter gold, and check them out on your skin tone/next to your ears before ordering the earrings? Just so you get the chance to compare colors? Or perhaps you could purchase two pairs of earrings, pick the set that works best for you and return the other.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I had deep golden SS pearls (pendant and drop earrings), which I thought looked great on me when I had medium brown hair and then light blonde hair, but once I transitioned fully to silver/gray hair, the deep goldens became unflattering to my eyes ... it was the green overtone ... I no longer wear any shade of green next to my face/hair, whether clothing or jewelry ... the green seems to drab out my whole look.

I did keep a couple lighter gold SS loose pearls, for a harvest-style bracelet I hope to complete this year.

@lulu_ma, maybe you could order a 2 loose GSS pearls from Pearl Paradise, one deeper and one lighter gold, and check them out on your skin tone/next to your ears before ordering the earrings? Just so you get the chance to compare colors? Or perhaps you could purchase two pairs of earrings, pick the set that works best for you and return the other.

@marymm thanks! that’s a great suggestion. I have never seen any deep golden GSS irl.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results