shape
carat
color
clarity

I want a RED Front Door!!

Phdecorate

Shiny_Rock
Benjamin Moore has a Confederate Red that is a gorgeous red with a blue undertone and a bit of a pinkness to the red. I used to have it in my dining room. I don't know if you can get it in outdoor paint but maybe they can match the color. With all that bee balm outside you need a red that has some pink to it in my opinion. Otherwise you would need really red flowers, like geraniums or red roses, to go with a darker red door.

Did you know red doors are considered a sign of welcome? Not quite sure where I picked up that tidbit, but evidently it's true. At least, I always liked the idea of it! I wish I could go back to a red door myself but this house is not the right color combo for it at all.... :((

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, thanks Ksinger! I googled the color, and I'm guessing this is not it: https://www.thesamplesstore.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2823. I mean, it's a poor representation of the color, right? I am going to try to make it to SW this weekend, maybe this afternoon. I found a reference to the color on some random blog post from 2009 (no pictures, of course!), so that's not too long ago. I noticed the paint you linked says it can be used on metal, which is promising. I think I need to strip what is on the door now. Hopefully, the folks on SW can advise on how best to do that. I read a disturbing post on a garden forum yesterday, where the poster stripped and painted their steel door 3X and the paint rippled when it dried! They were dealing with humidity though, which is not an issue here, atm. Oh, and duh, I figured out why the paint on the bottom of the door is peeling. Metal door + snow/rain = rust! Some people on that gardening forum were saying to use rustoleum paint. I like the idea of going to paint store because I'll have more confidence in their advice than say Home Depot. So, SW it is! Thank you!!! Oh, do you think it's close to any of these: http://www.sherwin-williams.com/sea...red&y=15&x=52&allColors=true&siteSection=home Maybe real red?

Phdecorate, Thanks for your post! I did notice the BM confederate red! See, this is how I can be terribly indecisive, folks. Helppppppppppppp! Funny thing about the bee balm is that I do have some red bee balm in the front yard. If I had switched the two, I'd have my red/red issue solved. Here's the confederate red: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/confederatered

Enerchi, Are you a designer? FB Blazer is nice: http://houseandhome.com/design/blazer-farrow-ball Looks like we do have a retailer about an hour away, but I think I'll just go to SW or BM. BM Rapture is very similar to the Confederate Red: http://www.benjaminmoore.ca/en-ca/paint-color/rapture and also OneCatOneDog's Raspberry Truffle. What's a girl to do? I'm finding Phdecorate's point about the bee balm very convincing! I like Ksinger's paint though because I'm hoping it works well on metal!!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Glad you are narrowing down some choices! If you can buy little test pots, that would be ideal. Then you can paint up a bristol/poster board with two coats of the paint and watch how the colour relates to your siding/the light your front door gets/day and night comparisons. Some reds turn muddy in the evening when you have your porch lights on. Always best to test... but it *is* a front door, so it's not like you are committing to a whole house of the colour. Choose the one that you love when YOU use the door the most - that's what counts - making sure YOU are happy. I always tell clients that, when I do a decor consult, that I don't live here, I only come and go. It has to be what THEY like the best.

Colour selection can be overwhelming, but it sure is fun!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loves Vintage|1335538142|3182175 said:
Wow, thanks Ksinger! I googled the color, and I'm guessing this is not it: https://www.thesamplesstore.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2823. I mean, it's a poor representation of the color, right? I am going to try to make it to SW this weekend, maybe this afternoon. I found a reference to the color on some random blog post from 2009 (no pictures, of course!), so that's not too long ago. I noticed the paint you linked says it can be used on metal, which is promising. I think I need to strip what is on the door now. Hopefully, the folks on SW can advise on how best to do that. I read a disturbing post on a garden forum yesterday, where the poster stripped and painted their steel door 3X and the paint rippled when it dried! They were dealing with humidity though, which is not an issue here, atm. Oh, and duh, I figured out why the paint on the bottom of the door is peeling. Metal door + snow/rain = rust! Some people on that gardening forum were saying to use rustoleum paint. I like the idea of going to paint store because I'll have more confidence in their advice than say Home Depot. So, SW it is! Thank you!!! Oh, do you think it's close to any of these: http://www.sherwin-williams.com/sea...red&y=15&x=52&allColors=true&siteSection=home Maybe real red?

Phdecorate, Thanks for your post! I did notice the BM confederate red! See, this is how I can be terribly indecisive, folks. Helppppppppppppp! Funny thing about the bee balm is that I do have some red bee balm in the front yard. If I had switched the two, I'd have my red/red issue solved. Here's the confederate red: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/confederatered

Enerchi, Are you a designer? FB Blazer is nice: http://houseandhome.com/design/blazer-farrow-ball Looks like we do have a retailer about an hour away, but I think I'll just go to SW or BM. BM Rapture is very similar to the Confederate Red: http://www.benjaminmoore.ca/en-ca/paint-color/rapture and also OneCatOneDog's Raspberry Truffle. What's a girl to do? I'm finding Phdecorate's point about the bee balm very convincing! I like Ksinger's paint though because I'm hoping it works well on metal!!

Wow right back! I didn't even think to try to Google it. Amazing. No, that's pretty close actually,
although my monitor renders with what appears to be a bit more orange in the color,
and a bit lighter than the real paint. But it's darn close. I'm sure the finish makes a difference
too: my door is high gloss, which also seems to increase weather resistance IMO.

I know there are many really good paint formulations these days, with great coverage, etc.,
so if you go with any of those lines, I'm sure you'll be fine. But I've used SW a bunch in my
house, and I've never been disappointed with their products - from flat, to satin, to gloss.
So take that for what it's worth.

Of the swatches you linked, the Positive Red looks closest to my eye,
but for some reason all the SW current red selections look a bit washed out to me.

Just go in there. I can only speak for me, but I think shopping for paint colors is just fun.
I always love an excuse to go pull paint sample cards. As you can see, I love them so
much I KEEP them! ;-)

Take pics when you finally get it finished. I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd love to see the
end product!
!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Ksinger. I will definitely post photos of the before and after. I now see the door was painted green and also black previously, so stripping it is probably in order. I'll have some questions for my friends at SW in that regard!!

Enerchi - I'll definitely try some samples and will check them during different times of the day. Fun, fun!

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Our houses seem to have similar coloring. My front door is a BM color, though I can't remember the name off the top of my head. It does appear a little brighter than in this pic.

Red door.jpg

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LS, Your house is beautiful! I especially love the brick and the long windows in front. You must have a very bright home! I really like your red door too! ::) I may go to BM to pick up colors.

So, I did go to SW yesterday. Ksinger - they did have a swatch of Pompeii Red in the regular swatch area. They also have a shade called Poppy Flower, which I think is similar to the BM colors referenced earlier in this thread. She didn't advise on samples. Said they would be hard to mix because of the white base. :confused:

Anyway, so I'm just working from chips, and I'm contemplating now. May go to BM to get confederate flag/raspberry truffle/rapture samples.

She also said I could just scrape and sand the door, which according to my DH, means we don't have to take it off the hinges, which sounds good to me!!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would agree - but also throw in cleaning it with TSP (Tri sodium phosphate) and it will also loosen and prep the door for colour. Exterior doors take a lot of elemental abuse. Any prep is preferred.

With the colour chips, if you can - don't tape them to your front door. That only allows you to compare the contrast between the old and the new paint - "yeah, that colour is different" - is about all your brain will compute. Tape to the siding or trim for a proper evaluation of the new colour. If you can - use something to block off your front door from your peripheral vision. If not possible - go to a corner of your house where siding meets window meets trim - KWIM?

I'm a big fan of the Rapture if you are going with something to match up with the monarda/bee balm plants you had posted!

Have fun!! :bigsmile:

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TSP, huh? I will put it on DH's Lowe's list. Just mix it with water and rinse with the hose? Use sparingly?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Loves Vintage|1335704882|3183396 said:
TSP, huh? I will put it on DH's Lowe's list. Just mix it with water and rinse with the hose? Use sparingly?

not certain how to prep it. I think my DH has bought in liquid concentrate form as well... each formulation would be different... then again, maybe it wasn't TSP he bought :rolleyes: Best to check the container!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I also have a red front door. Love it!! We just moved into this house last July, and the previous owners painted it, so I have no idea what the name of the color is:( I'm sorry, that was no help!! But I will be following this thread closely, because I'm sure we'll have to repaint it at some point eventually.
Whenever I'm looking for ideas, I just go through tons of home decorating blogs and pics and usually find tons of stuff there. I bet you'll get a million and one ideas just from that. Then when you find a few you like you can head to the paint store and get a few samples.

Best of luck with your project, can't wait to see the end result!!! :appl:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its just a door
two coats won't even take a litre of paint
just paint it your favourite red !
If you don't like that shade paint over it !

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So this was revived 9 YEARS later over door color?! :wall:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results