shape
carat
color
clarity

I, VS1 versus H,SI1

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

The Gipper

Rough_Rock
I've been looking at lots of diamonds both at B&M and online. Two stones:

1.095 K
H, SI1
HCI = 0.7
6.71-6.73x4.04
Table = 56.4
Depth = 60.1

The other:

1.09 K
I, VS1
HCI=1.2
6.67-6.69x4.09
Table = 55
Depth = 61.2

Both are internet stones, so are sight-unseen. Both are GIA. Any comments are welcome. The first one is $500 more than the second (they are from different sites).

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

SI1 stones are vey different from one to another... so obvisouly,
you'll prefer to see it before buying.

Also, why would you want to buy a VS1 while you have lower I color?
I would prefer something like a VS2-H or a SI1-H... but it's
a matter of taste.

Good luck,

Tirchrome.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
What sort of metal mounting will this stone be set in? We were originally looking at an old 1930's style 'I' stone set in platinum and I really couldn't see tinges of yellow, though I am sure many other people might?

What many people would tell you is to take the higher color vs clarity, BUT when you are on the cusp already with an SI1 on an internet purchase, I would suggest going H, VS2 if you won't see the stone before purchasing. Or if you can see closeups of the stone with the inclusions blown up, that might work for an extremely eye-clean SI1. I couldn't get all the vendors I was working with to give me closeups and so didn't feel comfortable purchasing an SI1 unseen. If you can see the closeups of the stone and inclusions, then the H, SI1 would probably work fine in a platinum mounting. I think many people would not highly recommend an I in a plat mounting though.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just ran a quick search, and found the following:

NiceIce.Com
1.055c
H, VS2
AGS 000, H&A
HCA: 1.1 (ex,ex,ex,vg)
Table: 57
Depth: 61.2
Sym: Ideal
Polish: Ideal
Cut: Ideal
Proce: $5620

Check it out, NiceIce has all sorts of images, closeups etc of their stones.

Also, I ran a quick search on Pricescope general looking for price comparisons, since your post did not list $$, and found a SuperbCert diamond that matches your second diamond in your post (I, VS1, 55% table, 61.2% depth, same exact measurements, GIA excellents looks like) and it looks like this diamond is $5488.

If this is indeed the same diamond (2nd one), then if you got something like the NiceIce diamond, it would only be around $150 more for an H, VS2. Seems like you could definitely up the color AND clarity for your same $$.

From what I have read, both co's are reputable, so it might just come down to what is more important. From my perspective, if I could go up in color to H and clarity to VS2 vs. SI1 on an internet purchase for basically same price, why not?

Good luck in your search!

The Gipper

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input.

------
"Also, why would you want to buy a VS1 while you have lower I color?
I would prefer something like a VS2-H or a SI1-H... but it's
a matter of taste."
-------

Thats what I don't know. I need to stay under $6000 and I want 1K. I'm new to this, but I've spent about 20 hours educating myself on the 4C's, HCI, etc. I'm hesitant on the 'I' color. I don't want yellow or too dark. My thought was that if I stay with a top quality cut (H&A, SuperbCert, AGS000, etc), and a high HCI, then an 'I' would still have that 'sparkle affect'.

Am I wrong in this assumption?

Mara - yes you are correct on the second one. As far as mount, I am actually replacing my wife's original ring (.42 H, SI1) from 16 years ago with this new one. The new 1K stone will be in the center, with her original .42, and a new .37-.42 on each side (3 stones total). Her original is 14K yellow, and I think she will want to stay with that type of mounting.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you discussed with the jeweler what an I center stone and an H side stone would look like together? Is the other side stone going to be H too or have you not found that one yet? I know that H is right next to I on the diamond color scale, but I have seen opinions where people feel that I is where the light tinges of yellow just begin to show up. If the setting will be yellow gold, then you might have a little bit of leeway as platinum is more white. But I would think that if you are putting three stones together in a ring they should be graded the same so that nothing looks even the slightest bit 'off'?

From what I saw on Pricescope yesterday, you could definitely get a 1c, and maybe even a 1.10 for around $6k. That one NiceIce stone I pulled just because it already was scored on HCA, so it was the perfect example of what you could get for the same money. Also, I would definitely take something like the NiceIce stone for H, VS2 at $5600 over an H, SI1 for $6000. Did you check out GoodOldGold? I've seen many stones around 1c for reasonable pricing on Jonathan's site, and he gives you Bscope images, blowups of the diamond, Sarin reports, etc..anything he has. It seems like a very thorough way to buy.

:wavey:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results