shape
carat
color
clarity

I tried again - dress shopping with pics (round 3)!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks booswim! i LOVE your dress on you - and i love the price too - it was meant to be!

Bee - i agree! i was torn on this whole batch too - i like all three of those.
33.gif

Thank you happyanniversary - i know what you mean about the fabric - that confused me too - it wasn't too shiny in real life, but then you are going to have your stinking photograph taken all day long, so who knows....the wedding is winter, so i wouldnt' mind the shiny as much as i would if it was any other time of year. We are going to have a really wintery theme, with blue and silver and sparkly things all around - lots of candle light. I would say i felt great and bridal-y in #1, #5, #6, #4 and #7 - i understand that doesn't really narrow it down - ha!

thank you both elrohwen, thing2, and Ebree ! #1 is popular :)

Beachrunner - these are good points you make...all of them. i like the lace and the beading too...i don't have a picture of the back of #7 because it was three sizes too big and it was clamped up so much i didn't think it would show anything at all that made sense! I agree about both silver dresses - they were not very flattering, particularly in the photos!

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/14/2009 9:48:31 AM
Author: Loves Vintage
I like the Casablanca No. 2 from your other thread the best. I think it is most flattering! Have you considered a dress with a similar shape, but shorter train.

I worry that the shimmery fabrics in the other dresses may not translate well in photos.
Hi Loves Vintage! on the fabric - i am hearing you on that one and have been considering just the same things...i don''t know yet how i feel about it. There seems to be a difference between the shimmer/reflectiveness of the satin, silk dupioni, and the taffeta.
***Regarding the casablanca - I have struggled with this in my head....i know the lines are flattering, and i completely agree that similar dresses would give the same effect, but unfortunately it''s just not me. In a dress like that, i feel like i am in a costume, and i really don''t want to feel like that on my wedding day....even with a shorter train, the skirt was WAY too full for my taste. So, i guess i''d rather feel the most beautiful in a more form fitting dress, than look a little better to everyone who attends....thoughts?

Thanks xoxo! the back of #1 is sensational i think.

Fleur -de-lis - thanks for that complement! i love the heart shape too, and i think there were lots of great choices in this batch too - thank goodness! the last round had me a little worried...

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I LOVE #7! But you look gorgeous in all of them...it''s going to be a tough choice!

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
I like #1 the best...it is sooo flattering on you - really accentuates your small waist - gives you an hourglass figure. And, the back is gorgeous, too. I can just imagine if it was perfectly altered to fit you how amazing it would look.

#7 is my next choice. It looks really well made.

Best of luck on your search! Can''t wait to see what you decide.

islandgirl16

Rough_Rock
Violet3 - You''re most welcome! I''m glad to be of help although I know picking a gown can be sooooo confusing. Ugh!

I suggest limit it to the top 2 or 3 that you like, then ask your Mom and friends for their opinion. But by all means include us in your poll, hehe!

Best of luck!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I like #1 and #7 the best - they strike me as being the most flattering for your figure, by far

pan_manda

Rough_Rock
I looove #1 on you... the shape and the v in the back are so flattering! But I also like 5 and 7!

Now I understand why my BM kept telling me that she was glad that she didn''t have to make a decision when I was trying on dresses... it''s hard when so many look good on a person!

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks shimmer! you''re very sweet to say such nice things...isn''t 7 soft and pretty? i never thought i would like it all that much until it was on and then i really did! i loved the top.... do you think that dress will be ok for a winter wedding? or do you think it''s soft and whimsical looking for that time of year?

Rock of Love - thank you! 1 and 7 seem to be everyone''s favorites... dress #7 is significantly more expensive than dress #1 is....

Great suggestion island girl on narrowing it down to the top 3 dresses...now how do i do that????
33.gif

Thank you AmberGretchen!!!

PanManda - thanks so much - if you don''t mind my asking, how do you like these compared to the maggie from the last thread???? Oh, and thank you for saying many of the dresses look good on me - there were actually so many dresses that did NOT look good. p.s. i HEART that pronovias gown you picked
36.gif

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
I like #1, but I think #4 is my favorite! Don''t know what the back of it looks like though. I don''t like the gathering too much on the back of #1.

Do you have a picture of the back of #4?

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
In looking back, I also like #5 and #7. But I still think #4 is pretty!

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/15/2009 1:43:57 PM
Author: luvthemstrawberries
I like #1, but I think #4 is my favorite! Don't know what the back of it looks like though. I don't like the gathering too much on the back of #1.

Do you have a picture of the back of #4?
Surely! i didn't post it because it didn't fit me all the way (even though it did fit me in November - grrrr) and i felt embarrassed
emembarrassed.gif
- it's pretty though - i'll post!

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sorry! here you go - the back of #4.

i like 5 and 7 too! Here''s a quick question for you - #5 is in the 500$ range and #7 is closer to $900 - i am trying very hard to stay on a strict budget, so the less expensive the better. (Finding a dress in my price range that i really really like has been challenging - i think i must have expensive taste!
28.gif
) Having said that, do you like one of these two more than the other 5 and 7 that is (disregard #4 for right now)?

edenbridaldroppedwaistback.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2009 12:06:19 PM
Author: violet3
hey there jstar! i know you like that silver maggie
28.gif
and so did i - my mom said it came down too far on the hip to be flattering to my figure. that's why she liked the other (but i see that it didn't photograph nearly as well as it looked in person - i hate when that happens). I like 7 also, but i have to go back and see which one is #4 - i forgot! BRB....EDIT: oh yeah! i like #4 too - it's really clean looking in the lines, and subtle which i liked.

Interesting regarding 2 and 3 (the silver Maggies) - your mom and I are in polar opposite camps regarding how flattering they are. I think you ROCK the asymmetrical dropped waist of 2. 3, on the other hand, does nothing at all for your figure IMO. And you're right; the fabric doesn't photograph as well as 2. The only thing I like better about 3 is the sweetheart neckline.

I took another look back at 4, which I still like, but I noticed that the fabric also doesn't seem to photograph well. I think it's still doable, but I'd probably pick 7 before 4.

Might as well just give you my thoughts on all of them since I'm halfway there!
1) Pretty and flattering, but seems kinda generic/boring to me.
2) You already know this is my pick! Different from the usual white dress and very flattering.
3) Not loving the shape or the fabric...I'd pass.
4) Simple without being boring - love it, but it doesn't photograph well.
5) Also the same shiny fabric as 4 - doesn't photograph well. The shape is nice but I prefer a little more subtle sweetheart like 4 has.
6) I normally LOVE straps, but I think you look better in the strapless. This one has a boxy look for some reason.
7) Really pretty without being overdone, nice neckline, would be my choice if the first silver Maggie were out of the running.

ETA: Regarding the Casablanca, I'm totally with you on getting a dress that's more "you" and doesn't feel like a costume. I made the mistake of exchanging my original dress choice (a beautifully simple destination wedding-style dress, trumpet shape, plunging neckline halter top, no beading, sweep train) for one that I didn't feel quite right in (strapless, A-line, chapel train, beaded corset top). Why? All because my mom told me my FI wouldn't like my original dress. She was right about his opinion (I showed him pics after the exchange and he hated the original), but I feel like I should have stuck to my guns. Now I'm trying to insert some more "me" into my dress by adding a halter strap, but alterations get expensive and may not look right...

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
I still LOVE #7, the Maggie. I love the beading, and the top, and it looks great on you. It doesn''t photograph "shiny" either. The other ones have that shimmer to them, which you may like, so I don''t know.

Have you tried calling Pearls Place and asking them to quote all this gowns? I was SHOCKED when they quoted me over half off the Mori Lee 2181 I have posted about.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jstar - you are so helpful!!! thanks for taking your time to give me all of your honest opinions on all the dresses...i think you and i tend to agree on most points here. I agree on the maggies completely - i also agree about the straps vs. strapless, and i am bummed about that because i kind of wanted straps since NEARLY EVERYTHING seems to be strapless.

I am having a hard time with the fabric issue - mainly because i really really like #4 and #5. i agree with what you are saying regarding the two fabrics...they are both taffeta. I like that they are lightweight, and i really like them in person...i don't even mind the little swoooshing noise it makes. But the photos...i just don't know about it. My mom said she thought the professional photos wouldn't be so reflective, but.... i'll have to think about that.

EDIT: Beachrunner: Great idea!!! i am soooo going to call Pearls Place!
9.gif

HappyAnniversary

Shiny_Rock
Have you picked your photographer? You could show him the pictures and ask how he thought the fabric would photograph.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I like #1 the best and then #7 after that. I think #1 is the most flattering but I love the details on #7.

rockin11

Shiny_Rock
I adore #1! Looks beautiful on you! It is very elegant and flattering. You will look stunning in whatever you choose. Are you leaning towards a few or 1 in particular? Can''t wait to see what you decide on.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2009 9:47:56 AM
Author: bee*
It''s a toss up between 1, 5 and 7 for me. I think that they look great on you.

Ditto - If I had to choose one it would be #1, but those three in my opinion flatter your figure. It really depends on the look you want from there. BTW, I like the shiny fabric. I think it makes the dress stand out more, especially in B&W photos if you are doing those.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi HappyAnniversary! I haven''t yet picked my photographer, but that would be a very good idea. I figure if i pick one of the shiny ones, i''ll just be shiny for the day and not really worry about it
10.gif
. I asked my sister about this, because i see that they photograph differently, but for some reason i am not all that bothered by it....and i thought i would be!

Clairitek - thanks! i think #1 is the most flattering as well...

hey there Rockin11! thanks so much - i am leaning toward #1 and #4 and #5 from this thread - i love #7, but i think it''s more than i want to spend and the fabrics are lightweight and whimsical feeling, which i don''t think i want for a december wedding...i dunno. I am also considering the pink (only not in pink)midgley/sottero from my last thread, and the limited edition maggie from the last thread.....i think i have a trip or two left in a couple of other areas before i choose.

Littlefirecracker - thanks for that opinion! i thought i was the only one who didn''t mind the shiny fabric - it seemed irridecent to me, which i really wasn''t bothered by any more than i would be by a shiny satin - just seems to be a different kind of shiny,if you know what i mean.

pan_manda

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/15/2009 12:25:54 PM

PanManda - thanks so much - if you don''t mind my asking, how do you like these compared to the maggie from the last thread???? Oh, and thank you for saying many of the dresses look good on me - there were actually so many dresses that did NOT look good. p.s. i HEART that pronovias gown you picked
36.gif
Hi Violet... I have had computer issues recently... I promise I wasn''t ignoring you!!

I think I like #1 the best still. I like the shape of that Maggie, but I love the neckline along with the v and ruching on the back of #1.

And oh I know of dresses not looking good... not fun! I''m glad you like mine, I promise you that all the work is worth it once you decide on ''the one''!!!

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2009 11:22:44 PM
Author: pan_manda

Date: 2/15/2009 12:25:54 PM

36.gif
Hi Violet... I have had computer issues recently... I promise I wasn''t ignoring you!!

I think I like #1 the best still. I like the shape of that Maggie, but I love the neckline along with the v and ruching on the back of #1.

And oh I know of dresses not looking good... not fun! I''m glad you like mine, I promise you that all the work is worth it once you decide on ''the one''!!!
Thanks Pan Manda! computers are a pain, aren''t they? thanks for the opinion - i''m glad you think that because the maggie was far far more expensive than the mori lee dress. I think i am going to put that dress on hold until my sister can come and look at it and let me know what she thinks....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results