shape
carat
color
clarity

I think we''re about the join the ranks of homeowners!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thanks again. My husband and I are planning to install the carpeting ourselves (house is from the 70s, not new construction & doesn''t have a warranty). Maybe this isn''t such a good idea! Our new house is 1800 square ft, but we''re only carpeting about 6-800 square feet (can''t remember the exact dimensions) and the rest will have hard wood (which we''re also installing). . .lol The ultimate result will either look beautiful or hillarous! I''ll stock up on 40 watt light bulbs just in case we need to hide all the mistakes

2.gif

My husband does work in the construction field and he''s done hardwoods so we''re actually safe here. All the warnings and advice about carpets though has freaked me out! I''ll have to call around PLUS forward your posts to my husband''s email box. He wanted to read the posts, but I can''t have him reading HERE or he''ll discover all my talk/plotting for future baubles.

Michelle

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/5/2004 10:54:48 AM
Author: fire&ice

Sounds like a really nice open floor plan. Sounds very much like an American four square. It's always a good choice w/ established neighborhood new construction. Congrats & I hope all goes well.

Just one thought, we have hardwood stairs. Aesthically they look nice; but, in all practicality, I don't like it. But, if the upgrade isn't expensive, it's best to have it put down now. You can always carpet later. One tip about carpet, consider commercial carpet. It's cheaper & you can't kill it. We love it because it doesn't have a high pile & feels good on the feet. Regardless of carpet choice, make sure you get a really good pad. And, a little secret that all many including myself find out after the fact - Berber is cool; but, it stains horribly. And, it's hard to clean.

Sounds great! Keep us posted w/ pics.

If you want really durable carpeting that is easy to keep clean, you should get 100% nylon commercial carpeting, at least 28 oz.(heavier is better) from one of the three major carpet manufacturers. I did not know whether it was appropriate to list them here but a carpet dealer will know. If you buy an off brand, you may not get the weight you are paying for.

It should have a factory installed stain repellent. There was a study done on carpets ( I think it was Consumer Reports) and this is what they recommended. We used it in the hallways of our beach condo and it looks like new after about five years. It is cleaned a few times a year.

That being said, I have Oriental rugs on my hardwood floors in my home and they literally stay clean forever with just vacuuming twice a week. Our living room rug has an ivory background and I have had it down for over fifteen years and never had it cleaned. I've had wine, coffee and food spilled on it and was able to get it out with a wet cloth and mild soap. That might be something to consider. And if you move, you can take them along with you.

I got some inexpensive machine made copies of Oriental rugs for my son's apartment. He had an 18 year old cat who stopped using the litter box and he was able to get the stains out.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/8/2004 5
6.gif
3:37 PM
Author: MichelleCarmen

He wanted to read the posts, but I can''t have him reading HERE or he''ll discover all my talk/plotting for future baubles.

Michelle

You little

11.gif
, you sound as bad as me!
35.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2004 2
6.gif
6:30 PM
Author: sevens one

Date: 11/8/2004 5
6.gif
3:37 PM

He wanted to read the posts, but I can''t have him reading HERE or he''ll discover all my talk/plotting for future baubles.

Michelle

You little

11.gif
, you sound as bad as me!
35.gif

9.gif

We are naughty, naughty, gals aren''t we? lol

noobie

Brilliant_Rock

Why don''t you guys want to have your husbands read this? I know I''d rather have an idea what my wife wants rather than trying to guess.

As long as it''s not excessive ....... opps, nevermind

11.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2004 5:12:48 PM
Author: noobie

Why don''t you guys want to have your husbands read this? I know I''d rather have an idea what my wife wants rather than trying to guess.

11.gif

Well Noobie- do I need to spell it out for you?????

Not all husbands are like you. We wives have to be creative sometimes.

embeer.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

11.gif

hahaha. . . this is your sense of humor showing, right??? lol My husband has absolutely NO facination with diamonds and runs from the room whenever I come up with another creative design of mine.

9.gif
He agrees to endulge me periodically, but only if I do not talk about the diamonds or clean them in front of him
20.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2004 5:17:10 PM

11.gif

hahaha. . . this is your sense of humor showing, right??? lol My husband has absolutely NO facination with diamonds and runs from the room whenever I come up with another creative design of mine.

9.gif
He agrees to endulge me periodically, but only if I do not talk about the diamonds or clean them in front of him
20.gif

Mine swears that he could log in and find me without looking at SMTR or something else obvious. I think it would be an interesting test, but so far, his interest hasn''t been strong enough to really do it.

If he does, I might point him to read Noobie''s posts tho for inspiration!

emidea.gif

noobie

Brilliant_Rock

Actually, I wasn''t really joking. Don''t you think it''s much more fun to get your partner something they really want and not something that you think they want? My wife is very gracious about anything I give her, but I''m much happier giving her something she likes.

lop, your husband could spot you from the golf club expertise!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock

Hey Noobie- you''re still missing it. I''ll put it plainly for ya

Hey AIN''T Givin'' and I AIN''T gettin''

Can you hear me? Can you hear me now?

9.gif
35.gif

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/9/2004 6:37:45 PM
Author: sevens one

Hey Noobie- you''re still missing it. I''ll put it plainly for ya

Hey AIN''T Givin'' and I AIN''T gettin''

Can you hear me? Can you hear me now?

9.gif
35.gif

Don''t you mean YOU ain''t givin and HE ain''t gettin''

9.gif
11.gif
until he starts givin'' and you start gettin''

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Wrong again, Buddy!
31.gif
9.gif

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Oh yeah, I forgot ... seven kids
emhug.gif
emhug2.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Watch it Noob!! Them''s fightin'' words!
face21.gif
emteeth.gif

noobie

Brilliant_Rock

homerknockout.jpg

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2004 6:31:22 PM

lop, your husband could spot you from the golf club expertise!

yeah, unfortunately, that is the only part he would be interested in....

I agree that giving things you know the other one wants make the best gifts. We rarely surprize each other with big gifts anymore, but try to involve the other in the purchase. That means I won''t be getting consumer electronics anymore, and he won''t be getting golf clubs as gifts! We''re both happier now.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results