shape
carat
color
clarity

I think we''re about the join the ranks of homeowners!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
What a wild ride it has been!!!! After three months (which felt like an eternity, even though it''s relatively short) of INTENSE househunting, I think we''ve finally found a home!
36.gif

We have done ridiculous amounts of homework, and I think our poor real estate agent needs a new pair of shoes from us wearing out the treads on hers with all the showing. We literally went into more than 35 homes, and we separately drove by at least another 30. The benefit: Not only did we learn very definitely what we want and what is a good value, but we''ve learned a lot more about where local streets are.
3.gif

This is new construction on a single lot in an established neighborhood....the lot used to belong to the next door neighbor, and he sold it to the builder. It''s a center-entrance colonial.....last house on the right on a dead end street. It''s nearly .50 acres of land, but much of it is conservation land (protected plants and a small stream that is 50 ft. from the house), so the portion we have to mow/maintain is probably closer to 7500 sf. (F&I, thanks for the suggestion, but Rich dismissed the goat idea----he''s now decided it would make him ultra cool to get a riding mower......hehehehehe. Men and their toys!)

We saw this house when it was roughed, but Rich is more visual and less visionary, so it helped for us to go back last weekend and see it again. It now had siding/shutters, walls, and began to look like a home. We''ve also angsted because we really didn''t want to chip up the extra money, but since we won''t "upgrade" or move until retirement, it seemed wise to stretch a bit. Also, the builder came down a bit more, and that''s rare on new construction, so we felt like it was a fair price.

Our offer was accepted last Saturday (after which I had an "oh, damn, now we have to PAY for this" moment!), and we met on Monday night with the builder to go over finish details. We are closing FAST.......November 30! Kind of scary, and it''s been absolutely CRAZY trying to get details covered in such a short time, but due to the weather potential in the Northeast, I''m largely glad we''re not closing a month later. If all goes as planned, we are signing the P&S today......Monday at the absolute latest.

Details: It''s a center-entrance colonial with a walk-through to the kitchen. On the right is a front-to-back living room with a wood-burning fireplace trimmed in Marble on the sides and a wood mantle. On the left of the entrance is the dining room. The kitchen runs along the rear of the house left to right and has a set of sliders to a deck. A half-bath and small coat closet complete the first floor. The dining room/foyer are hardwood; we''ve decided to upgrade to hardwood on the stairs and the living room now.

The second floor contains the master bedroom (runs front to back over the living room on the right) with a big walk-in closet and a door to the bathroom. The bathroom is a large (12.5 x 9.5) bathroom that connects to both the master bedroom and the hallway for the other 2 bedrooms. Next to the bathroom is the laundry (YAY - 2nd floor laundry!!!). On the left side, there are two good sized bedrooms with oversized closets (one will be a guest and the other Rich''s study/office). There is also an enormous walk-up attic (fully constructed stairs, not the pull-down).

The basement is unfinished and will be used primary for storage, and there is a 2-car garage underneath on the left side with a walk-out to the back-yard. It''s grey (vinyl sided) with black shutters. It''s gas range, gas heat, and central a/c ready (we just need to add the coil/condenser....the heating unit is already set up for it.).....city water/sewer.

We are going today to pick paint, and we''ll pick flooring/carpeting tomorrow. We were too late to pick the cabinets (but what builder picked is likely what I would have chosen), and we''re haggling right now over the countertop (already ordered and cut, but not what I want).

We are elated.....and in disbelief! I''ll put up some pictures in a few weeks when we do the walk-through and the finish work is nearly done.

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

What an exciting time. We purchased our first home in 1991 and stayed there until we built our "dream" home in 2000. I absolutely loved everything about the new construction. I loved the fact that the day I moved in I wasn''t planning to paint this room, replace countertops, tile...etc.... Everything was exactly as we wanted from day one.

Take this opportunity now to put in what you want, as once you get moved in it''s just a lot harder to "get around to it". I remember our first home seemed to always be a work in progress. Now that we have been here 4 years, I''m itching to do it all over again
31.gif

Keep us posted and get those PICS on here for us to see
9.gif

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations!!!

I''m so glad you finally found what you wanted
emteeth.gif

Thanks again for all your help with my home hunting!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
kewl
congrates

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Congratulation!
36.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock

Sounds like a really nice open floor plan. Sounds very much like an American four square. It''s always a good choice w/ established neighborhood new construction. Congrats & I hope all goes well.

Just one thought, we have hardwood stairs. Aesthically they look nice; but, in all practicality, I don''t like it. But, if the upgrade isn''t expensive, it''s best to have it put down now. You can always carpet later. One tip about carpet, consider commercial carpet. It''s cheaper & you can''t kill it. We love it because it doesn''t have a high pile & feels good on the feet. Regardless of carpet choice, make sure you get a really good pad. And, a little secret that all many including myself find out after the fact - Berber is cool; but, it stains horribly. And, it''s hard to clean.

Sounds great! Keep us posted w/ pics.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations Al! Homeownership is lots of fun. THere is something mental about knowing you own the place and can do whatever you want to it. To me it felt permanent. I like to nest, and dink around with my home. I''m always changing or working on something. You can''t do that as well in a rental.

It sounds like a great place. New construction has lots of finishing details that always have to be done to make it liveable, but you are starting fresh and not putting your energy into changing things other people did. Have fun with it!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hot damn, that''s great news! My house was a new construction too, and it''s really kind of nice to be able to do all of the "firsts" in your home -- first meal cooked on the stove, first flower planted in the garden, and most important, all those happy first memories made in your new home. I''m looking forward to the pics.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, that''s great al! Congrats! If you think what you''ve been through is tough, try buying a house in a city hundreds of miles away by flying in on weekends.

Having bought two new construction homes, I''ll offer my experience. The first place, I took no upgrades (I was young, 23, I think). Made a few mistakes due to inexperience, but nothing tragic.

The second one, we approached with much more experience. Separated the upgrades into things that would not loose much value on resale and things that were totally personal and we would not get our money back for. Made the decisions much easier.

One thing I did and it depends how sensitive your builder is and how handy you are is I ran extra wires before the walls went up for audio and video. I also insulated all the copper piping with pipe insulation more for noise, since water flow can resonate in those walls. I also insulated between the walls of the ensuite bathroom and the walls of the master bedroom to create a quiet space in the bedroom. That''s about how far I could push it, since they wanted to charge for things.

Living there for four years now I learned a few things:
- ceiling fan prewires were a good thing even if not installed. They would be a huge PITA later
- structured wiring was not as big a deal as in the past due to WIFI. Cat5 not as big a deal as coax is for video
- realtor advised 9 ft ceilings in basement. I was not going to finish the basement, but since have and I''m glad I have 9 ft there.
- you can never have too many bathrooms
- you can never have too much storage

Good luck... and of course, pics

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW congrats! Cannot wait to see it!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
It sounds wonderful! Congratulations!!!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
What exactly is your state of construction? From your read it sounds like only finishes left to go. All walls already in place?

Noobie is correct about pulling wires & wiring for ceiling fans, etc. But, it''s going to be difficult to do if you are under roof w/ walls. Though think about stuff you may want. It''s cheaper to make things happen when the subcontractor hasn''t signed off & in still coming on site.

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Al,
Everyone has given you great tips! One more thing to consider:

Think about all the things you''d change now and write them down, talk them over with the builder about what they would cost and really see how much more your mortgage payment would be per month if you made those changes now.

Sometimes it''s less expensive to make changes now and wrap them into the mortgage, where you will only be paying a few extra $$$ per month for that new item, rather than having to shell out a large chunk of change for say that screened porch you want in the future. You''re making me want to build a house again!!!
emteeth.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I''ve done a couple of new constructions also. This last one, I took the perspective of: what is something that doing during construction is significantly cheaper than after. Wiring is Number one. We put speakers through the house, running off the main stereo, and love it. And, I said: what would I never end up tearing out to replace (since it is costly and the what''s there is new) with a slightly upgraded version? Countertops, stone or tile work, cabinets, some flooring, fall into this category.

It sounds as if you must be fairly far along in the construction if you close that soon, so this might all be a moot point. Good luck and have fun!

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
I am so jealous! I''d maim to join the ranks of the homeowners!!
3.gif

Congrats, and how exciting on the new build! My family has built a couple new houses, and I always loved that we were the very first family to live there, and that we got to pick out the carpets and counters and cabinets... if I don''t get to build my dream home, I''m going to buy some $10 crap shack and gut the whole thing.... ooooh, I get tingles just thinking about it!!!
9.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2004 10:54:48 AM
Author: fire&ice

- Berber is cool; but, it stains horribly. And, it''s hard to clean.

Is Berber really that bad? Our house we''re selling has oatmeal colored speckled berber and we''re planning to put this same type of carpet in the bedrooms of our new house (and the rest will be hardwoods). . .Should we go for an alternate type of carpet? Seems like the berber we have hids stains in the pattern more than the previous carpeting we had. . . Help with any advice as we have four people and a cat (who coughs up hair balls) so we have to have the most resilliant carpet available!!!

Michelle

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2004 4:26
6.gif
4 PM
Author: MichelleCarmen

Date: 11/5/2004 10:54:48 AM

- Berber is cool; but, it stains horribly. And, it''s hard to clean.

Is Berber really that bad? Our house we''re selling has oatmeal colored speckled berber and we''re planning to put this same type of carpet in the bedrooms of our new house (and the rest will be hardwoods). . .Should we go for an alternate type of carpet? Seems like the berber we have hids stains in the pattern more than the previous carpeting we had. . . Help with any advice as we have four people and a cat (who coughs up hair balls) so we have to have the most resilliant carpet available!!!

Michelle
Well, my friends call it the "dirty" little secret. Yes, the very nature of the variation in the berber can hide dirt & stains. But, trying to get stains out is tough. Maybe there is a berber out there that''s great; but not that we are aware of. My friend even tried steam cleaning & it didn''t work. Another friend rolled hers up and threw it out the door when she came home to an tiny ant invasion (her berber turned brownish and was moving [
6.gif
. It seems the food particles tend to stick to it. Others can chime in w/ their experience; but, this has been mine. Maybe scotch guarding will help.

That said, I''m a big fan of commercial carpet. Most are speckled to hide dirt/stains as well; but, really - you can not kill it. We have had our commercial carpet down in the bedrooms since ''88. We will replace because of staining & just tired of it. But, as far as holding up - it looks new - no worn spots. whatsoever.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2004 4:58:50 PM
Well, my friends call it the ''dirty'' little secret. Yes, the very nature of the variation in the berber can hide dirt & stains. But, trying to get stains out is tough. Maybe there is a berber out there that''s great; but not that we are aware of. My friend even tried steam cleaning & it didn''t work. Another friend rolled hers up and threw it out the door when she came home to an tiny ant invasion (her berber turned brownish and was moving [
6.gif
. It seems the food particles tend to stick to it. Others can chime in w/ their experience; but, this has been mine. Maybe scotch guarding will help.

That said, I''m a big fan of commercial carpet. Most are speckled to hide dirt/stains as well; but, really - you can not kill it. We have had our commercial carpet down in the bedrooms since ''88. We will replace because of staining & just tired of it. But, as far as holding up - it looks new - no worn spots. whatsoever.
Okay, I''ll talk to my husband and hopefully he''ll agree to check out other carpeting types. He seems to get an idea in his mind and refuse to budge. lol Ah, men! . . .oh, do you know which colors hid stains best? I was considering gray, but was told this color actually tends to make stains more visible. Which colors would you recommend? I''d like the color to be lighter and suitable for three guys. lol - I''d actually love light pink in the bedroom - hahaha - but, well doubt my husband would agree to spend even one night in a puffy pink master suite, which may be a GOOD thing as he snores. . .but anyway, so I need ideas.

Thanks,
Michelle

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I''ve had berber, and didn''t love it. It tended to pull up at seams, and was hard to clean. Ours didn''t show more dirt than others that I noticed. I''ve read that there is a wide variety of carpets out there today quality-wise that all call themselves berber. Thus you have to know more details like type of fiber, etc.... I would do some searches on carpet -- I''ve been planning to recarpet in the mountains for a while (mot moving quickly here...), so have done some basic research on the Internet, and it''s pretty informative. Good nylon seems to be the way to go, especially treated with someting like stainmaster. Some piles show foot traffic more than others. Subtle patterns and color variations tend to hide things well, etc....

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Also, Al, if you have a punch list on final walk through, you may want to hold 10% in escrow to make sure that the punch list gets done in a timely fashion.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2004 9
6.gif
6.gif
5 AM
Also, Al, if you have a punch list on final walk through, you may want to hold 10% in escrow to make sure that the punch list gets done in a timely fashion.
Very good point F&I. Also, the last new construction be bought we had an independent home inspection done, just as you do with older houses. It was helpful, as they looked for things we wouldn''t have thought about, and they weren''t as overwhelmed as we were with everything going on, so caught things that we would have missed at the time and noticed later.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

We have berber and had it in our last place too, I really love how it looks but if you get a light colored one it is very hard to keep clean. We got our house before we had the dirty white rat (aka Portia) who looks gray most of the time due to her fondness for the big acre patch of grass outside our house, and so our carpet tends to absorb much of her dirt/dust/wet paws. It's held up okay but I have already had to steam it once which returned it to practically new proportions...but lasted all of 2 weeks. We're steaming again this weekend.

Plus it is very hard to get stains out of, yes, because the loops tend to absorb items and hold onto them. It's a fairly thick pile if you have a good carpet, so the stains can be absorbed all the way almost down to the pad at times. Portia throws up sometimes (finicky stomach) and of course she always makes sure to get it right on the rug and in the middle of a room such as family room. Dog throw up is a bitch to get out of carpet regardless, but the berber just holds onto it like nothing else. Hence having to steam alot.

We don't plan to be here for more than 5 years, but we may have to replace the carpet within another year or so if we can't figure out a way other than constant steam cleaning (not good for the carpet) to keep these two rooms clean. It's really only 2 rooms I am concerned about, Portia's haunting grounds, the dining room and family room...so we may put wood or laminate in there if necessary, but that would be a pain to have to do within such a short time-period. I refuse to live with dirty carpet...esp since the rest of the house is so beautiful.

However if the room won't have ALOT of traffic in it, I would definitely get berber, I love the way it looks. But if you get one that is not slightly variegated, anything like a stain or some variation in the pile will look weird...it drives me nuts. So I prefer those with a slight speckling of other colors rather than a true solid...also helps hide stains. Ours now is a pale creamish sand berber which is a beautiful color and makes the house look very bright and sunny, but again...in those two rooms it's the bane of my existence.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thanks for your opinions, Lop and Mara. Never thought to actually look up info online about carpets (lol) Just assumed that all were similar and color has been a main focus.

20.gif
Ah, okay, will do a massive google research project. My bulimic cat and rambunctious boys will make messes regardless of the location of carpeting, so, it sounds like Berber isn''t a good idea. My cat threw up again today so I feel for you Mara, needing to steam clean all the time. What a PITA
39.gif
Cleaning carpets truely is a workout. lol (or maybe I just need to workout more, so i"m not as much of a lightweight/wimp - lol
9.gif

Oh, and we only plan to stay in our new house for two to three years, but with the house we''re selling, we''re including a carpeting allowance so this motivates me even more to keep the carpeting nice as I''d rather have kept that extra 3K.

Michelle

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know Michelle, it's so depressing to not be able to just get something nice and have it stay like that!! Life gets in the way.
2.gif
Portia threw up 3 times yesterday in the family room, of course it can't just come out all at once...hence why we are steaming this weekend.
14.gif

Oh and CONGRATS AL....your house is going to be everything you hoped it would due to your exhaustive research and negotiation skills.

36.gif

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Michelle,

I agree with the berber comments. It looks great but is hard to clean and especially hard to steam clean. We installed some in the bedrooms of the last house. We had a Golden Retiever then and her nails got caught and pulled up the loops. In abouttwo years it looked like like ten years old. Regretted ever buying it.

And yes check online for carpets. One of the best ways to do it economically is to find the manufacturer of the carpet (many dealers hide this) and check online. Places will deliver to the curb. For installation, ask around the construction sites and trades for a crew that free lances. My basement contractor only paid the carpet crew $700 for about 1500 square feet with thick underpad with stairs. If you hire direct you can save a bundle.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
two other comments on carpet installation and installation of those types of items in general. as one of my first jobs, i worked part-time during college at a large carpet chain as a bookkeeper/receptionist. if you go to one of those places, they usually have installers on payroll, but many of the installers will contract direct as well on the side. aka if you have carpet you want them to install vs buying it from the chain then having them install it through the chain (which is more pricey since the chain takes a cut). the chain would charge something like $2.00 per sq ft on installation (which if you get 2k sq ft is pricey!) whereas the installers themselves would maybe only charge $1.25 per sq ft. this was years ago so my numbers may be off, but the savings can be large if you do go direct.

what also goes hand-in-hand with this and what noobie noted is to be sure you get a GOOD installer. there is a difference between a good carpet installation and just any old joe doing it. in our old place we had home depot install our berber and it was a hugely sloppy job. berber is hard to install anyway because of the way the loop and pile are, it isn't conducive to things like room breaks and end of roll breaks...you tend to see alot of where they end a new roll and start a new one, etc--as opposed to a thick regular pile carpet where you can just smooth the pile over the break. so the old installation from home depot was sloppy, pulling up at the edges, the seams were not smooth at all from room-to-room transition.

in contrast our new house here had a great job...though my picky eye still found a few flaws...the bottome line is that berber is hard to install in a 'seamless' manner, but they did a great job here. oh and lastly, with berber as they end at places like carpet to tile transitions, if you don't put one of those cover things over them (i dont know the name) the berber does not always stay 'tucked' under the other medium and sometimes you'll find it tearing up at the seams in carpet to tile or carpet to hardwood transition areas. in my old place, a whole strand ripped out and left a hole! not pretty.

so those are the other pitfalls of berber in general...and yes the loops can be pulled and torn, the best thing to do when this happens is to cut them immediately straight across the carpet pile, so they blend, don't pull it out.

and again, be sure your installer is a good one...not just the cheapest one out there. i'd go to a large reputable carpet chain and see if you can hire one of their guys direct. the longer they have been doing it the better. whew..okay end of carpet purchase education.

2.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock

I'm all for saving a buck; but, if I was the builder, I would not want the homeowner to coordinating the flooring. I'm under the impression that the flooring will go down before closing. If so, then the builder owns the house & I wouldn't have a sub working on my house that I didn't know. Too many things, including liability can go wrong.

That said, express to the builder that you request a vetern installer & you will be criticing the process.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
one other thing is to ensure that doing things to the house after you own it won't void the warranty (if you have one). my friend who just moved into his new townhouse was told that adding a water softener would void his 1 year warranty (which basically covers almost anything that could go wrong) because it's an addition and they aren't responsible for how it affects the rest of the house. on one hand i get it from the builder perspective with not wanting to deal with people inadvertently screwing things up, on the other...a quick add-on like a water softener voids the warranty? that seems insane! it's not like they are adding a whole other room!
face5.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock

Congratulations Al! It sounds like a lovely house.

We no longer have any area rugs on our first floor because of the dog. She wouldn''t stop peeing on them. We now have two little throw rugs by the back door and when she potties on those I can throw them in the wash. I love hardwood floors. They are pretty indestructible. We don''t let the dog upstairs or in the basement any more because of her need to break in the new carpeting there. Ugh!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
what is it with dogs and throw rugs!! portia LOVED to pee on our throw rugs in the kitchen and around the house and no matter how many times i washed them she still would run right over and pee on them. we finally removed them all from the house which, miracles of miracles, stopped the peeing on the rugs!
2.gif
now that she is pretty much entirely potty-trained...i am tempted to put them back but on the other hand don''t want to tempt fate!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results