shape
carat
color
clarity

I think we found THE ONE - What do you think ??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
I am so happy I found this site. What an amazing place . . . I read as much as I could without having my head explode and boy oh boy did it ever pay off. I felt in control of my shopping experience and I think we might have found a diamond . . . but it is such a HUGE purchase that I am nervous so your opinions would really allow me to feel as though I have some other thoughts on it so I would LOVE to hear what you guys think, both of the diamond and of the price we have been quoted. If you would all take a minute to look at the specs below . . . and tell me your honest opinion., one way or the other . . .

GIA certified
1.23 carat
H color
VS2 clarity
Excellent cut
VG Polish
VG Sym
Faint Fluor
58% Table
62.2% Depth
35.5 CA
40.8 PA
$6800

Thanks everyone . . . for giving me your opinions and for being part of this amazing online community where I have learned SO MUCH !!!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
what makes it THE ONE for you?

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
It is within our price range, has the GIA grading for Cut, Color, Clarity that we were looking for and is bigger than anything we have been looking at while still being under $7000. Plus it was real shiny and pretty when I looked at it today at the jewelers. So, after looking at about 2 dozen diamonds, this one seemed the best for value . . .

The level of stones we have been looking at makes ALL the diamonds look great, so I have been trying to narrow our search.
What do you think of it?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Can you post the dimensions?

Trying to find one more stone for you so you can compare.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
By dimensions do you mean the measurements? Here you go, if you meant something else, let me know. THANKS.

Measurements: 6.81 - 6.83 x 4.24 mm

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Julie,

I am just curious what if anything about the diamond specs are causing you to pause and suggest looking at other diamonds. Is there something in particular that stands out to make you hesistant about the diamond? Thanks, Julie . . . I appreciate your help.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/16/2006 6:55:04 PM
Author:hikerchick
GIA certified
1.23 carat
H color
VS2 clarity
Excellent cut
VG Polish
VG Sym
Faint Fluor
58% Table
62.2% Depth
35.5 CA
40.8 PA
$6800

Thanks everyone . . . for giving me your opinions and for being part of this amazing online community where I have learned SO MUCH !!!
OK, here's my very humble opinion, and I am NO expert.

I love the color, and the slight fluoro is fun, too. Definitely a lovely size. The price seems decent for a B&M store, but I think you could get a larger stone online for the same money. You could also save money (that could be put toward size
31.gif
) if you drop to an SI clarity. Many SI1 stones are totally eyeclean, and SI2, also. I have an AGS-0, 2.36 SI2 RB that is totally eyeclean, even under CLOSE scrutiny, and I love not paying for what I can't see. Not everyone feels the same way, of course, but I am definitely a cut and SIZE girl.

This diamond scored 2.8 on the HCA, "VG/VG/VG/VG, worth buying if the price is right". A score of 2 or under is preferred.

This diamond would not get an AGS-0 grade. Is that important to you? It's also got a bit of a steep crown angle. Does this visually affect performance? I don't know... maybe? Also, it is a little deep and faces up a little small for a stone of its size. A 1.25 would ideally have a diameter of 7.0 mm.

Also, I prefer EX/EX for polish and symmetry. There's probably no VISUAL difference between VG/VG and EX/EX, but it can show that added level of care and detail by the cutter.

Is this an H&A Stone? Do you have any photos? An IS image? Without any more information, I would probably pass on this diamond. But that isn't to say that it may not be a very beautiful diamond. You have seen it, and you seem to love it. If you have looked around, compared diamonds, and observed this diamond in various lighting situations and still love it... then enjoy! The final (and most important) "evaluation tool" will always be our own eyes.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Lynn,

I am looking for all opinions, so thank you for yours.

I did a search and found a bunch of stones online that would either save me $500 or get me a diamond just slightly bigger, but my boyfriend and I are still a little too nervous to deal with buying the stone online so we feel that the $500 extra dollars pays for the peace of mind of being able to see, hold, touch the stone physically without the hassle of shipping diamonds back and forth.

As far as clarity, we have been looking at both SI1 and VS2 diamonds so we are not opposed to SI1, this just happens to be a VS2. Also, if we bought online we would go with VS2 because I have yet to see a VS2 whose clarity didn't meet my expectations but have seen a number of SI1 stones we weren't crazy about . . . so we wouldn't take a chance with an SI1 if we were shopping online.

I did run the specs through the HCA and was mildly disappointed at all those VG ratings and no EX rating, and that is what prompted me to post and ask for opinions. However, looking at the stone in person, I am surprised it didn't score better. It was really pretty and shiny in 3 different types of light and I expected that it would score better.
7.gif

All the diamonds I have been looking at have VG/VG for polish and sym so I guess I wasn't too shocked that this one did also . . . Of course I would prefer EX/EX but I wonder how much it affects the look? I know just enough to get me through but not enough to know how crucial things are if something has to give somewhere so I guess I don't really have an opinion on the lack of AGS-0 grade ??

Also, your question about how the steep crown angle affects the diamond's visual performance . . . what exactly should I look for? It was sparkly and shiny . . . is there something about the look of the diamond that is specifically affected by a steep crown angle and would I know it by looking at it?
The stone is not an H&A, we did see one H&A but it was 1.01 carat and I was swayed by the size of this stone instead.
I don't have any photos . . . maybe we will ask the jeweler for some photos.

I also would have passed on this stone if I only saw the specs but for some reason it has caught my attention . . . I can't put my finger on what I like most about it . . . maybe just that it is so huge compared to what we have been looking at and it sparkled so much . . . anyway, maybe we will just keep looking . . . I think my boyfriend is getting a little tired of looking though . . . have to see how he feels about continuing our search.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
How did this diamond perform compared to the 1.01 carat H & A stone you looked at? If this one really "wowed" you when you saw it then that is more important than the numbers. But if you purchase it will you be satisfied with it or are you going to feel that you should have looked around more? If you love it and can have peace of mind that you made the right choice then go for it!

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/16/2006 9:20:05 PM
Author: hikerchick

I think my boyfriend is getting a little tired of looking though . . . have to see how he feels about continuing our search.

23.gif
Eeek, please don't buy a diamond for this reason. This is a very important purchase, take your time with it.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/16/2006 9:56:39 PM
Author: jazmine

I think my boyfriend is getting a little tired of looking though . . . have to see how he feels about continuing our search.

23.gif
Eeek, please don''t buy a diamond for this reason. This is a very important purchase, take your time with it.
Oh no . . . don''t get me wrong . . . that is NOT the reason to buy the diamond . . . I just think he will be surprised since I was pretty psyched about this diamond . . .

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock

Hi Lynn,

I did a search and found a bunch of stones online that would either save me $500 or get me a diamond just slightly bigger, but my boyfriend and I are still a little too nervous to deal with buying the stone online so we feel that the $500 extra dollars pays for the peace of mind of being able to see, hold, touch the stone physically without the hassle of shipping diamonds back and forth.

VERY understandable! If you''ve foud someone you can get this good of a diamond for this good of a price - the internet might not be necessary. Especially if they''re willing to pull in stones for you right there that meet your specs.

As far as clarity, we have been looking at both SI1 and VS2 diamonds so we are not opposed to SI1, this just happens to be a VS2. Also, if we bought online we would go with VS2 because I have yet to see a VS2 whose clarity didn''t meet my expectations but have seen a number of SI1 stones we weren''t crazy about . . . so we wouldn''t take a chance with an SI1 if we were shopping online.

I love clarity too, granted it''s mostly because I''ve seen some seriously horrible clarity stones out there and to me I didn''t want any of that.

I did run the specs through the HCA and was mildly disappointed at all those VG ratings and no EX rating, and that is what prompted me to post and ask for opinions. However, looking at the stone in person, I am surprised it didn''t score better. It was really pretty and shiny in 3 different types of light and I expected that it would score better.
7.gif

Not every stone that does so-so on HCA is an ugly stone! That is a steep crown angle but frankly when I saw that I was *excited* not scared. It might have a bit less brilliance but it might be very firey and have great scint - what did you *see*?

All the diamonds I have been looking at have VG/VG for polish and sym so I guess I wasn''t too shocked that this one did also . . . Of course I would prefer EX/EX but I wonder how much it affects the look? I know just enough to get me through but not enough to know how crucial things are if something has to give somewhere so I guess I don''t really have an opinion on the lack of AGS-0 grade ??

I would give up on polish before I''d give up on symmetry.... but I think VG is fine for polish - the experts around here say it is likely an unnoticible difference. Now, I wouldn''t turn down an ex/ex but I wouldn''t reject a vg polish either.

Also, your question about how the steep crown angle affects the diamond''s visual performance . . . what exactly should I look for? It was sparkly and shiny . . . is there something about the look of the diamond that is specifically affected by a steep crown angle and would I know it by looking at it?

Well, it means that the light bouncing off the pavillion facets is hitting the crown at a sharper angle which means a good chance for more colored light.

The stone is not an H&A, we did see one H&A but it was 1.01 carat and I was swayed by the size of this stone instead.
I don''t have any photos . . . maybe we will ask the jeweler for some photos.

I also would have passed on this stone if I only saw the specs but for some reason it has caught my attention . . . I can''t put my finger on what I like most about it . . . maybe just that it is so huge compared to what we have been looking at and it sparkled so much . . . anyway, maybe we will just keep looking . . . I think my boyfriend is getting a little tired of looking though . . . have to see how he feels about continuing our search.
It''s okay to love a not-perfect stone, you know :) Sometimes there is a particular charm that just speaks to us. Of all the rounds I looked at - all of the H&A stones and ideals etc that I saw - the ONE that I still feel love for - the only one I fell for.... was an EGL I that had nothing in particular that PSers would consider special - but the way it played with light was wowza!! It looked like the music from a harp.... I didn''t get it since I wasn''t looking for a round and it was at a B&M for twice my budget... but I still remember it :)

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i like the steep crown angle - will result in a lot of fire. was it purdy? go with your heart.

you are buying a diamond not numbers. and the high crown will look like an old mine cut. nice....

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/17/2006 9:18:34 AM
Author: ladykemma
i like the steep crown angle - will result in a lot of fire. was it purdy? go with your heart.

you are buying a diamond not numbers. and the high crown will look like an old mine cut. nice....
I agree. We tend to be stat nuts, because we buy online and aren''t getting to see the stone and compare with others.

You saw it, and apparently it spoke to you. What you might do, is look at a few more diamonds and see if you keep coming back to this one. If you do, it''s the one.
2.gif

And the HCA is in the process of being revised, so your stone would score much better, were it already in place. Exactly what it would get I don''t know.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock

Hi Lynn,

As far as clarity, we have been looking at both SI1 and VS2 diamonds so we are not opposed to SI1, this just happens to be a VS2. Also, if we bought online we would go with VS2 because I have yet to see a VS2 whose clarity didn''t meet my expectations but have seen a number of SI1 stones we weren''t crazy about . . . so we wouldn''t take a chance with an SI1 if we were shopping online.

I did run the specs through the HCA and was mildly disappointed at all those VG ratings and no EX rating, and that is what prompted me to post and ask for opinions. However, looking at the stone in person, I am surprised it didn''t score better. It was really pretty and shiny in 3 different types of light and I expected that it would score better.
7.gif

All the diamonds I have been looking at have VG/VG for polish and sym so I guess I wasn''t too shocked that this one did also . . . Of course I would prefer EX/EX but I wonder how much it affects the look? I know just enough to get me through but not enough to know how crucial things are if something has to give somewhere so I guess I don''t really have an opinion on the lack of AGS-0 grade ??

Also, your question about how the steep crown angle affects the diamond''s visual performance . . . what exactly should I look for? It was sparkly and shiny . . . is there something about the look of the diamond that is specifically affected by a steep crown angle and would I know it by looking at it?

I also would have passed on this stone if I only saw the specs but for some reason it has caught my attention . . . I can''t put my finger on what I like most about it . . . maybe just that it is so huge compared to what we have been looking at and it sparkled so much . . . anyway, maybe we will just keep looking . . . I think my boyfriend is getting a little tired of looking though . . . have to see how he feels about continuing our search.

Hikerchick (adorable user name, BTW!)

First of all, I totally understand the feelings of nervousness about buying something like a diamond online. I felt that way at first, too, and in fact only went online when it became impossible to find anything of similar quality locally. But, surprisingly, buying a diamond online is extremely and surprisingly safe and easy. But buying locally has its perks, too! It really doesn''t matter WHERE a diamond comes from... in the end, it''s all about how it looks and if we got what we expected and paid a decent price for it.

A VS stone is a glory to behold, for sure. My first stone was a VS2, and I loved it. But I came to learn (and see for myself) just how surprisingly eyeclean SI stones can be, too... and that''s why I looked for an SI stone for my upgrade. Your initial post indicated that you liked size, so that''s why I suggested an SI stone as a way to maximize your budget and gain carat weight (which is clearly visible and noticable!) by compromising clarity (which, as long as the stone is eyeclean, is not visible or noticeable). The choice, is of course, yours. But please be careful not to judge SI stones by the ones you see in most jewelry stores. I can''t believe what the jewelery stores (even "high end" ones) pass off as SI stones... heavily included, big black carbon spots, argh. No way would I ever be happy with that. My AGS-graded stone is in my avatar and if I remember I will attach a photo. (If I forget, and you are interested in looking, do a search and you''ll find 10,000 photos of it here!) I have had jewelry store employees ask me if my stone is "flawless". That''s why I am so sold on SI stones, although I am in no way "dissing"
2.gif
VS stones!

Regarding H&A vs. non-H&A... well, that''s a very personal preference. I ADORE my H&A diamond, and in fact, I insist on H&A in even the tiniest of diamonds in my jewelry. To me, there is just something mesmerizing about the look of the optical symmetry, and I LOVE how the light plays off the arrows, and how they light up with color. To me (again, just MVHO) non-H&A diamonds look rather "chaotic", and its not my favorite look. But again, I know that there are many gorgeous non H&A diamonds out there with very happy owners!

One other thing to mention... you may want to consider the future, and if you think you may ever want to upgrade... does your B&M jeweler offer that? Many (if not most) do not. To a lot of us, that is an important feature of our diamond-buying. You may decide one day that you DO want an H&A diamond... or a larger stone... or... or... or. Buying online from most of the PS vendors allows you that opportunity. It takes a lot of the STRESS out of the diamond purchase because you can always trade up at any time, no questions asked.

Some people buy their diamond online and then purchase a setting locally. That way they still have a local jeweler for checking, cleaning, etc. It''s a nice middle-ground that works well for some people. And usually, if there''s a problem that requires shipping something back and forth, it''s with the setting - not the diamond.

OK, one more thing. PLEASE don''t think that I am saying that the diamond that you love isn''t beautiful. It sounds like it is!
30.gif
And remember, there''s nothing hidden or mechanical about a diamond. What you see is what you get. So if you have SEEN it, and you LOVE it, then consider all the good advice you have been given here, and then trust your eyes. And then, enjoy! And congratulations!

ETA: I am actually on vacation, we are leaving in about 15 minutes to get on the shuttle from our hotel to the cruise port (yes, my DH looks like this:
20.gif
)
2.gif
... so I probably won''t be able to follow this thread anymore. I hope I have answered your questions, and I wish you all the best. And please keep us posted... I will look forward to seeing what you end up with!

102lynnb.jpg

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/16/2006 9:42:01 PM
Author: Sundial
How did this diamond perform compared to the 1.01 carat H & A stone you looked at? If this one really ''wowed'' you when you saw it then that is more important than the numbers. But if you purchase it will you be satisfied with it or are you going to feel that you should have looked around more? If you love it and can have peace of mind that you made the right choice then go for it!
The H&A stone scored a 2.4 on HCA and the GIA cut grade was only a VG instead of an EX so I didn''t consider it. It didn''t catch my attention like the 1.23 stone.

So, my main concern is/was that we would buy it and then I would feel like I should have kept looking . . . just as you asked so we went back today and looked some more and once again, I really feel as though this stone is really pretty amazing to look at . . . I cannot explain why the numbers don''t tell the same story. Would an ideal cut stone look even better, maybe but now that I looked at a few more stones, I think I am now leaning even more towards getting the stone. Wish I could just put the numbers out of my head and trust my own eyes. :)

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/17/2006 12:00:35 AM
Author: Cehrabehra

Hi Lynn,

VERY understandable! If you''ve foud someone you can get this good of a diamond for this good of a price - the internet might not be necessary. Especially if they''re willing to pull in stones for you right there that meet your specs.

I love clarity too, granted it''s mostly because I''ve seen some seriously horrible clarity stones out there and to me I didn''t want any of that.

7.gif

Not every stone that does so-so on HCA is an ugly stone! That is a steep crown angle but frankly when I saw that I was *excited* not scared. It might have a bit less brilliance but it might be very firey and have great scint - what did you *see*?

I would give up on polish before I''d give up on symmetry.... but I think VG is fine for polish - the experts around here say it is likely an unnoticible difference. Now, I wouldn''t turn down an ex/ex but I wouldn''t reject a vg polish either.

Well, it means that the light bouncing off the pavillion facets is hitting the crown at a sharper angle which means a good chance for more colored light.

It''s okay to love a not-perfect stone, you know :) Sometimes there is a particular charm that just speaks to us. Of all the rounds I looked at - all of the H&A stones and ideals etc that I saw - the ONE that I still feel love for - the only one I fell for.... was an EGL I that had nothing in particular that PSers would consider special - but the way it played with light was wowza!! It looked like the music from a harp.... I didn''t get it since I wasn''t looking for a round and it was at a B&M for twice my budget... but I still remember it :)
Thanks for your input. My eyes really loved the stone . . . the numbers are not meeting my expectations and I am surprised. It gives me pause only so far as my not wanting to make a "mistake" with my amateur eyes . . . afterall I have seen so many pretty diamonds, sometimes I wonder if all diamonds are WOW and what do I really know . . . did that make sense?

I finally will either need to trust my eyes and my heart or move onto looking for more stones. Thank you for the story about your ONE diamond, it atleast makes me feel less strange that this diamond really spoke to me. Stay tuned, we will be making a decision soon on if we want to keep looking or if we are gonna buy this one !!!

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/17/2006 9:58:12 AM
Author: Ellen

I agree. We tend to be stat nuts, because we buy online and aren''t getting to see the stone and compare with others.

You saw it, and apparently it spoke to you. What you might do, is look at a few more diamonds and see if you keep coming back to this one. If you do, it''s the one.
2.gif

And the HCA is in the process of being revised, so your stone would score much better, were it already in place. Exactly what it would get I don''t know.
Yeah, it is a very purty stone :)
I went back and looked at it again today . . . and yup, I still like it . . . :)

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/17/2006 9:58:12 AM
Author: Ellen

2.gif

We went back today and looked at a few more stones and those also scored not so well on HCA but were quite beautiful in person . . . still the stone in the original post was just as pretty if not prettier and the specs though not ideal are quite good . . . so I am leaning more and more towards picking it.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/17/2006 5:39:56 PM

We went back today and looked at a few more stones and those also scored not so well on HCA but were quite beautiful in person . . . still the stone in the original post was just as pretty if not prettier and the specs though not ideal are quite good . . . so I am leaning more and more towards picking it.
Sounds like you may have found a winner. Please post pics if you can, if you get it!

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/17/2006 10:31:44 AM
Author: Lynn B

Hi Lynn,

7.gif

Hikerchick (adorable user name, BTW!)

THANK YOU . . . we met while hiking . . . it is what most closely binds us to each other, our love of hiking . . .

First of all, I totally understand the feelings of nervousness about buying something like a diamond online. I felt that way at first, too, and in fact only went online when it became impossible to find anything of similar quality locally. But, surprisingly, buying a diamond online is extremely and surprisingly safe and easy. But buying locally has its perks, too! It really doesn''t matter WHERE a diamond comes from... in the end, it''s all about how it looks and if we got what we expected and paid a decent price for it.

A VS stone is a glory to behold, for sure. My first stone was a VS2, and I loved it. But I came to learn (and see for myself) just how surprisingly eyeclean SI stones can be, too... and that''s why I looked for an SI stone for my upgrade. Your initial post indicated that you liked size, so that''s why I suggested an SI stone as a way to maximize your budget and gain carat weight (which is clearly visible and noticable!) by compromising clarity (which, as long as the stone is eyeclean, is not visible or noticeable). The choice, is of course, yours. But please be careful not to judge SI stones by the ones you see in most jewelry stores. I can''t believe what the jewelery stores (even ''high end'' ones) pass off as SI stones... heavily included, big black carbon spots, argh. No way would I ever be happy with that. My AGS-graded stone is in my avatar and if I remember I will attach a photo. (If I forget, and you are interested in looking, do a search and you''ll find 10,000 photos of it here!) I have had jewelry store employees ask me if my stone is ''flawless''. That''s why I am so sold on SI stones, although I am in no way ''dissing''
2.gif
VS stones!

Actually, about 75% of the diamonds we have seen are SI1 stones, it is just chance that this stone is a VS2

Regarding H&A vs. non-H&A... well, that''s a very personal preference. I ADORE my H&A diamond, and in fact, I insist on H&A in even the tiniest of diamonds in my jewelry. To me, there is just something mesmerizing about the look of the optical symmetry, and I LOVE how the light plays off the arrows, and how they light up with color. To me (again, just MVHO) non-H&A diamonds look rather ''chaotic'', and its not my favorite look. But again, I know that there are many gorgeous non H&A diamonds out there with very happy owners!

One other thing to mention... you may want to consider the future, and if you think you may ever want to upgrade... does your B&M jeweler offer that? Many (if not most) do not. To a lot of us, that is an important feature of our diamond-buying. You may decide one day that you DO want an H&A diamond... or a larger stone... or... or... or. Buying online from most of the PS vendors allows you that opportunity. It takes a lot of the STRESS out of the diamond purchase because you can always trade up at any time, no questions asked.

Actually, I won''t be trading up ever and this is partly why I am nervous about getting it right the first time around. I might in the future purchase another stone for another purpose but the stone we buy now will be THE stone in my e-ring from from now till . . . hopefully . . . well ya know . . . the whole "till death do us part" part

Some people buy their diamond online and then purchase a setting locally. That way they still have a local jeweler for checking, cleaning, etc. It''s a nice middle-ground that works well for some people. And usually, if there''s a problem that requires shipping something back and forth, it''s with the setting - not the diamond.

OK, one more thing. PLEASE don''t think that I am saying that the diamond that you love isn''t beautiful. It sounds like it is!
30.gif
And remember, there''s nothing hidden or mechanical about a diamond. What you see is what you get. So if you have SEEN it, and you LOVE it, then consider all the good advice you have been given here, and then trust your eyes. And then, enjoy! And congratulations!

ETA: I am actually on vacation, we are leaving in about 15 minutes to get on the shuttle from our hotel to the cruise port (yes, my DH looks like this:
20.gif
)
2.gif
... so I probably won''t be able to follow this thread anymore. I hope I have answered your questions, and I wish you all the best. And please keep us posted... I will look forward to seeing what you end up with!

Lynn, THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!! Your thoughts have been insightful and honest . . . you and the others who have given their words of wisdom are my sounding board so I hope you know how much I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my posts. ENJOY your vacation (hehehe . . . posting on PS 5 minutes before hitting the road for vacation, now THAT is dedication) and I most definitely will keep you updated on what we decide.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results