shape
carat
color
clarity

I think this is one the one guys...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

firstbase32

Shiny_Rock
My girlfriend of 5 years is a Children''s Ministry major and so I figure I should go with 14K instead of 18K since she will be probably bumping it around a lot. Do you guys agree? Also.. here''s the specs of the ring..tell me what you think.
21.gif

Shape: Princess
Carat weight: 0.48
Cut: Signature
Color: G
Clarity: VS2
Certificate: GIA
Depth: 73%
Table: 72%
Polish: Excellent - Ideal
Symmetry: Very Good
Girdle: Thin to Thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 4.23*4.23*3.09
Ratio: 1.00

firstbase32

Shiny_Rock
also...what do you think the price of this diamond should be

firstbase32

Shiny_Rock
no advice from anyone? lol

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FB, where is this from? No one can give you advice if we don''t know more information.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, hah. It's one of the James Allen ones, isn't it? Ok, have Jim pull both the G VS2 and F SI1 and ask him which one he would pick. I think they're both beautiful, but both have some positives and both have some negatives.

Ask if they're both eye-clean.
Ask if the thin girdle is a durability issue (it doesn't have to be.)

14 or 18K doesn't really matter...JA mostly carries 18, I think, and the simple solitaires are very reasonably priced. Ask for a v-prong head (to protect the corners.)

firstbase32

Shiny_Rock
yea it is...i was just wanting to see if anyone else had an oppinion on it...but i''m not getting much luck lol

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, so breaking it down... F SI1 and G VS2 are pretty darn close. Even their tables and depths are really similar, as well as symm and pol.

The G is more square (1:1), F is (1.03:1). The upper limit for being considered "square" is 1.05
I like the girdle on the F (Med-Slt Th) better than the G (T-Th).
F is just a teensy bit bigger. Noticeably? Probably not.
But I think the IS on the the G just edges out the F.

So, considering they're both eye-clean and the girdle on the G doesn't represent durability issues, it's either one.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I could help you, but there is a LOT more knowledge on round brilliant diamonds around here! That may be why you aren''t getting many replies! I think Jim at James Allen would be happy to advise you as Julie suggested. I would feel safest buying from his signature collection as those are his best stones.

I don''t think the gold will matter. Children''s ministry hopefully is not quite as rough as construction work or something like that!
1.gif

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t offer much suggestion about the stone, but I would go 18 kt. You won''t have to go and get it rhodium plated as often. Oh, but I suppose I am assuming you mean white gold, but maybe you mean yellow! oops...

Are you set on this stone, or do you have more time to look around and are you interested in getting some help finding something else??

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sophie, he's looking for a princess, half a carat, budget 1000. I've found a .49 F SI1 and a .48 G VS2 at JA. Since you've had experience with princess, maybe you can help him find something.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
By no means am I an expert, but I would love to look! IS that just for the stone, or setting too?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Err, he had a 1000 budget for the whole thing, but said a little more if necessary was ok.

firstbase32

Shiny_Rock
Sorry guys, i had a softball game last night (we got destroyed) and i didn''t have time to get on and check and see what ya guys said. I''m leaning towards $1200ish for the entire thing. So those are quality stones though? I know she def. wants princess cut and around .50. I''m sure she would rather go skimpy on the specs to get a bigger diamond but I think in the long run after she thought about it she would appreciate quality.

I e-mailed Jim and he said they can do it in 14K as well. A lady at my work who used to be in jewelry and she said that she always suggests 14K to people because it''s more durable and a more resonable price.

Thanks for the help. I thought I knew enough about diamonds because i knew like 3/4 of the 4C''s......just isn''t enough lol. But I really appreciate all of your guys help. You guys are amazing!
1.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
firstbase, I don''t know much about princess cuts so am unable to help you there. I would consider 18K gold if you can. I have a 14K gold wedding band I wear most of the time and it has a yellow gold tint to it now. I need to get it replated. 14K yellows on some people much quicker than others depending on body chemistry. anyway for a little bit more on the front end, I go with the 18K. Also, Jim is great over there and JA and I''d trust him to lead you in the right direction.

firstbase32

Shiny_Rock
how much does it cost to get it replated and how often do people normally get it done?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
looks good!

some people never have to get their 14k replated, others have it done all too often. there is no set standard. the mix used, the body chemistry of the wearer and reaction to metals next to the ring will all contribute to the ''yellowing'' of wg. fortunately, replating is quick and easy (and usually pretty inexpensive). i would call some local jewelers to find out pricing so you can weigh your options.
best of luck!

firstbase32

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the help!

firstbase32

Shiny_Rock
feel free to keep giving advice...i''m all ears :)

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FB, how did going to your local guy go?

firstbase32

Shiny_Rock
well...since you talked about the trade in and stuff...i''ve pretty much been sold on one of the one''s from James Allen. I haven''t taken the specs by him to ask him just because from what I''ve seen and know (or lack there of) it looks like an amazing diamond. The zoomed in image and the "ideal scope" image (what the heck is the "ideal scope" image?) are attached and from what I think it looks nice...tell me what you think.

2.jpeg

firstbase32

Shiny_Rock
here''s the other one

3.jpeg

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
That diamond looks AWESOME to me.

firstbase32

Shiny_Rock
what does the ideal scope do?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results