shape
carat
color
clarity

I think I've found a diamond - opinions, please.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Placid

Rough_Rock
Greetings all,First of all, before I start what will likely be my one and only thread here, I'd like to sincerely thank the regulars here who have helped so many people. I've browsed many of the threads and my hat is off to those who give graciously of their time to post knowledgeably. It is apparent that a large number have saved money and made wiser choices due to their interaction here.So here's my story. I've researched diamonds off and on for the past year and a half. I'm now pretty familiar with diamonds, but I will note that I have a particular ignorance remaining concerning what constitutes a good cut in a princess cut diamond. I've heard all sorts of answers.At any rate, I've been looking for a princess cut diamond (for an engagement ring) that is well-cut. I don't need rainbows shooting out at all angels; just something that is going to look brilliant and not any in way dull. As for color, E-F has been my goal. VS1-VS2. Very good polish and symmetry are nice, but good will do. No flouresence. I've been looking for something in the .80-.90 range. And I want a really good deal, not just something at a average or only slightly below average price and happens to meet my criteria.Here is the stone at the top of my list:
GIA
Shape and Cut:
PRINCESS
Weight:
Clarity:
VS2
Color:
E
Dimensions:
5.02 x 5.46 x 3.6 mm
Depth Percentage:
71.7 %
Table:
77 %
Crown:
%
Pavilion:
%
Girdle:
STK-TK
Culet:
N
Polish:
VERY GOOD
Symmetry:
GOOD
Fluorescence:
NONE
Wire/Cash Price:
approx. $ 3400.00 plus mounting is extra(I notice others don't mention price often...I hope this isn't taboo and if so I apologize)The seller could be either "Tradeshop, Inc." or "USA certified diamonds" (they both have it listed). Any comments on which I should choose (USA cert. is a bit less expensive)? I notice two measurements are missing. Should I ask to know these before I purchase?Anything I should look out for or potentially troublesome with this diamond? It is only fairly good or should I spend more time looking for another one (honest opinions, please...I still have a relatively large amount of time and won't be hurt if you think I could do but a little better
wink.gif
)Perhaps compare to these two others that appeal to me around the same price:.9
E
VS2
73.4%
83%
GIA
ethn-vth
no
gd
gd
no
5.43*5.04*3.700.9
E
VS2
72%
76%
GIA
m-tk
no
gd
vg
no
5.17*5.6*3.72Thanks a lot,
Placid

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Placid,Based on the data I would personally exclude #2 since it has quite large table and extremely thin to very thick girdle. Both #1 and #3 are looking rather good on paper.As far as I know both USACerted and Tradeshop have very competitive prices so go with the one you are most comfortable with.Just note, if the diamond is listed it doesn't mean that it's available. Moreover, sometimes a vendor who knows that you are interested in particular diamond could take it on memo and you might have a hard time if you'd decide to purchase it via another broker. So you'd better keep it confidential until you'll decide which broker will get your business.

Emrldforher

Rough_Rock
As everyone always says, you need to see fancy shapes like princess cuts in person to really judge their brilliance. With that being said, my favorite site to use as a guide for fancy cut parameters is www.gemappraisers.com. Check it out for a good idea on what to look for in a "well-cut" diamond. Finally, just fyi, I purchased from Martin at USAcerted last year and can vouch that he was great to deal with and had very good prices. As leonid said, go with the vendor you are most comfortable with.E

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results