shape
carat
color
clarity

I think it's THE ONE. Input needed!!

BrittyRo

Rough_Rock
I found a .80 carat. H color. SI1 eye clean. Excellent cut diamond for $2,904. With excellent symmetry, Polish and fluorescence of medium blue. I do not have idealscope or ASET images of the diamond, but do have GIA report and photo.
Depth: 62.2
Table: 56
Crown Angle: 35
Pavilion Angle: 40.6
Inclusions: Crystal (they are seen on the bottom of diamond as black inclusions. They stated eye clean)
Is this a great diamond and price?!

_989.png

_2225.jpeg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
What's the definition of eyeclean the vendor is using?

I think the bottom inclusion can be hidden by a prong. But I am a bit surprised at the eyeclean statement.

BrittyRo

Rough_Rock
This is in the email they sent me

"Eye clean" means that an average layperson viewing the diamond face-up from a distance of six to eight inches would not be able to see any inclusions, but it is not a guarantee that no inclusions would ever be visible no matter how closely you scrutinized the diamond. If you want assurance that the diamond's inclusions would never be visible no matter how closely examined, we recommend choosing a diamond with at least a VS2 clarity."

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks really nice! What kind of setting are you thinking of? The only problem I can think of is that black inclusions may show from the side, so a halo setting would hide that. A 6 prong solitaire might obscure it enough. But you need to know if it is eyeclean from the sides or not so you can know if it would work for your setting. Sounds like it may not be.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Color and eye-cleanliness are something that the only wearer can tell.
If you are ok with BN's eye clean definition, it is a fantastic stone. Worst case, you return for free.
If you are concerned, keep shopping.
Otherwise, again, the numbers are great.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tell them to make sure the inclusion is under a prong.

That's what I would do.

Did the wearer pick the setting?

BrittyRo

Rough_Rock
It's for me Lol!! I am the "wearer" I did pick the setting. It is an upgrade from my original engagement ring which has a tiny (seems like .20) lab created sapphire in the center. So this is my first diamond (I picked the setting because it looks exactly like the one my fiancé proposed with). I am confused I thought if they stated it was eye clean you couldn't see those inclusions? Is it that you just won't see from far away? :confused: I thought SI1 you only see them under magnification isn't that photo a magnified 10x ?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No. Eyeclean doesn't have a standard definition.

Usually though it means that 8-10 inches away FROM THE TOP OF THE STONE a normal person can't see the inclusion. Clarity is graded by the labs face up ONLY. So you may still be able to see the inclusions from the side.

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy said:
No. Eyeclean doesn't have a standard definition.

Usually though it means that 8-10 inches away FROM THE TOP OF THE STONE a normal person can't see the inclusion. Clarity is graded by the labs face up ONLY. So you may still be able to see the inclusions from the side.
Hi Gypsy.

I have great respect for your knowledge which surpasses the knowledge or most people even in the trade.

Would you be able to put me in the right direction where I can learn more about clarity being graded face up only?

This has been an issue of quite an indepth discussion on another thread as well involving me, RockDiamond and another forum user. I would appreciate your input on the matter.

E B

Ideal_Rock
I think if you have the inclusion at the 6 o'clock arrow put under a prong, it should be fine (and the other inclusion isn't under the table and should be better 'masked'). They do have a fantastic return policy, so I'd go for it!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm. Good question. I've been on here for 10 years. I don't know what the source for that was. But I recall very clearly someone who was a pro I respected stating clarity is graded face up at 10x. And color face down against GIA master stones.
I remember watxhing the video on this page http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamondclarity.html and it seemed ro show the clarity only as it relates to the view through the table so I accepted it as true. But it is not stated on either GIA or AGS sites that I can see.

I know at our PS GTG the GIA and AGS head honchos have been present (I think I've met both) and friends with many of the pros in attendance. Perhaps one of them could tell you more. I would ask Andrey to put you in touch with them, and yoi can ask them directly, and report back. It's and interesting point to get clarified.

Also I believe one of the staff at ERD/ BE-- Chris?? was a grader at GIA. So maybe call them and ask?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Neil Beaty, Paul Segers, or David Atlas would be good resources as well to ask.

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Gypsy. Cheers.

BrittyRo

Rough_Rock
Ok guys so you're comments regarding that first stone made me nervous regarding if it would be eye clean from the side and how actually "eye clean" it was so I found myself another diamond! .80 carats si1 color h cut excellent. I attached the GIA report and they stated they would be sending me the photo in the next couple of hours. How does this diamond compare to that first diamond? Over the phone the lady said that there were comments that this was a "beautiful stone" on file

_994.png

E B

Ideal_Rock
BrittyRo|1456930895|3998438 said:
Ok guys so you're comments regarding that first stone made me nervous regarding if it would be eye clean from the side and how actually "eye clean" it was so I found myself another diamond! .80 carats si1 color h cut excellent. I attached the GIA report and they stated they would be sending me the photo in the next couple of hours. How does this diamond compare to that first diamond? Over the phone the lady said that there were comments that this was a "beautiful stone" on file

It's coming up on the HCA as a FIC- Firey Ideal Cut- due to the crown angle. Some info: http://diamond-cut.com.au/23_bicfic.htm

Let us know how it looks!

BrittyRo

Rough_Rock
I read it and still don't quite understand what that means? The new stone I found is FIC the other stone is listed as TIC. What exactly is "fire" is that was makes the diamond sparkle more? What different "looks" will these stones give off

BrittyRo

Rough_Rock
BrittyRo|1456936415|3998480 said:
I read it and still don't quite understand what that means? The new stone I found is FIC the other stone is listed as TIC. What exactly is "fire" is that was makes the diamond sparkle more? What different "looks" will these stones give off

:errrr: Help explaining please?

E B

Ideal_Rock
BrittyRo|1456964071|3998797 said:
BrittyRo|1456936415|3998480 said:

:errrr: Help explaining please?

This may help: https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-brilliance-fire-scintillation

Honestly, though, if it's really well cut, you're going to have plenty of all. Did they send you the photo?

BrittyRo

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately they have not yet sent a photo :/ I'm hoping by tomorrow. The thing that I care most about the diamond is that is it super sparkly!! So I guess scintillation is most important? :love: :love:

BrittyRo

Rough_Rock
Stock number LD05456453 is "eye clean" per the vault manager that inspected it for me. The diamond does look slightly milky in strong light. :wall:

_2290.jpeg

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock
That's what the store manager said, or you're getting that from the photo? If the former, what kind of strong light? It might look a hazy purple in direct sunlight, but some people (me included) find that pretty. It's milkiness/haziness in regular light that I would be worried about, but I understand that to be very rare.

BrittyRo

Rough_Rock
Per the manager he said that it looks slightly milky in strong light. I don't know what "strong light" would be considered

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Means direct sunlight. Pass. Do you have any wiggle room in the budget?

BrittyRo

Rough_Rock
My Fiancé wants to stay around 4K before tax. So around 3k for the diamond.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can he bump it 500 bucks or can you chip in?

BrittyRo

Rough_Rock
Bummer that diamond came back as not eye clean :/

ld06740741.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results