shape
carat
color
clarity

I think I might need a... *gulp*... intervention!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you gone through
From a psychological viewpoint I wonder if due to your recent stresses (losing your job and starting a new career direction) is causing you to feel unsettled and you are seeking comfort and security in material possessions. This is quite a common type of self medication. I know, I indulge in it!

So true for me but hard to resist the impulse. My beloved dog passed away late last year and I pretty much bought something every month. I know it's a temporary bandaid, a "shot" of happiness that is induced whenever I undertake a new project or open a box with a trinket to make up for the pain of never seeing him again.

They were some solid purchases but I am all too aware of why I keep spending.

I'm trying to make it through 6 months without buying as I think I am slowly (very slowly) coming to terms with not seeing him ever again.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just pick up another hobby that keeps you off Pricescope for a while and let the emotions and addiction cool off a little. You just need a little reminder that there is a lot more going on in life other than jewelry. It’s all good. Most of us have been there.

But where else can I find such nice people??? Seriously.

I use my jeweler box real estate to keep the hoardin under control. No new projects until I sell some things to make room. I often sell at a bit of a loss, but most of those items are colored stone projects so it’s not a huge amount of money and it’s worth the fun of the project and the enjoyment I got for the time I own them. Sort of like I rented those pieces for 50 cents a day.

Ok, step one, I need to get a smaller jewellery box. LOL!

I also really like your theory of “sort of like I rented those pieces for 50 cents a day”. What I do is just thank my lucky stars that I’m not a foodie. Expensive food consumed can’t make me back my money! Jewellery sold at a loss is preferable.

@Babyblue033 oh wow, I am in the same boat! But my baby is 13 months old and didn’t sleep through the night for the first YEAR. It was brutal. At 12 months I sleep-trained her because I couldn’t take it anymore. Worked by day 3. Wish I had done it sooner.

Anyways I’ve bought a sh*t ton of jewellery.

I think this is me too. Only I am acquiring beauty products instead of jewlery. My little one is 7 months old, and seems to be going through some sleep regression. I get up 5 times a night to put her back to sleep and I just rock her back to sleep with one hand and browse my phone with the other (for up to 3 hours a night). It is super hard not to just binge buy stuff, or stress out about how tired I will be at work the following day. I am especially bad when everyone else is sleeping and I am there by myself. I feel like I need a support group for my first world problems :eek2:.

I can so relate.

Your collection is beautiful @ohsomethingshiny

NEVER, NEVER add up what you spent. This should be a Pricescope rule.

I’m so sorry you lost your fur baby @mellowyellowgirl .

So my excel spreadsheet that details what I’ve paid for things... bad idea? ;-)

@ohsomethingshiny - what a wonderful and brave post. Thank you for sharing! I love your rings, by the way. Where are the black boxes from? Where is Celeste from? Wow wow wow. And that watch? It looks exquisite. I wouldn’t mind additional info on the watch...

I can relate to your post. When does a passion turn into an addiction? I am not sure.

Anyways I am going to follow this thread with interest. When I was getting carried away with clothing purchases I went cold turkey. It has now been 9.5 months and I’m aiming for 12! Woot! Perhaps next year I will give up jewellery buying.

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@ohsomethingshiny - what a wonderful and brave post. Thank you for sharing! I love your rings, by the way. Where are the black boxes from? Where is Celeste from? Wow wow wow. And that watch? It looks exquisite. I wouldn’t mind additional info on the watch...

I can relate to your post. When does a passion turn into an addiction? I am not sure.

Anyways I am going to follow this thread with interest. When I was getting carried away with clothing purchases I went cold turkey. It has now been 9.5 months and I’m aiming for 12! Woot! Perhaps next year I will give up jewellery buying.
The black boxes came from a local jeweler and from CvB. It worked out well for me that they were larger so I could fit both ring and band in each.

As for Celeste, I found her on www.victorbarbone.com (one of my favorite preloved sites). I fell in love with her at first click. ;)2 My experience with Audria (owner) was great, even including the process of getting the ring sized and brought back into round (as it was a little off due to wear and the thinness of the band).

Finally, my watch is the Tag Heuer Link Ladies with diamonds. I love this watch! It is just substantial enough. And the selling point for me was that they made the face in my "happy blue", which is just a particular shade of blue (with a soft grey undertone) that I find very soothing and calming.

I have been doing really good... until yesterday. I broke. I was thinking about the pear I have on consignment and started looking at how I would set it *IF* I chose not to continue with the consignment. And then I found HER. My inspiration in a 1910 antique setting! She is nothing like I have ever seen before. Took my breath away. I shared her with Caysie and she exclaimed that she had seen the setting before awhile back and that she also was very drawn to it. So now I am having her create a very similar setting for my pear, although there will be some changes to personalize it. It is going to be a showstopper because it is such a unique design. It will give me my halo, my elongated cut, and my Rosies all in one ring!

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oops. I did it again. Waiting for a 1ct platinum eternity band from Blu Nile (ebay)
I shouldn't "like" your post just on the basis of this thread being about intervention. But.... congrats on your new band!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oops. I did it again. Waiting for a 1ct platinum eternity band from Blu Nile (ebay)
I did the same thing! We’re probably bidding against each other! :lol:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
A jewelry buying intervention that is!

Since March, I have reset Abigail (MRB) into a RHR setting, purchased Lucy (vintage OEC), was given Ricky (formerly a diamond watchband), bought my Tag watch, adopted Eleanor (AVC), found Celeste (vintage toi et moi), bought a Roberto Coin necklace and pendant, and also added two diamond bands and a gold chain to what I now consider my "collection" of jewelry. And to top it off, I am hoping that Millie (my wedding band from CvB) will be joining in next week. I have acquired more jewelry in the last six months than I have in the last decade (or longer)!

Despite all of that, I still find myself "shopping" (but not buying right now). I don't want to be a "hoarder", but I just keep feeling like I want something else. Not like from a place of greed, but from a design and aesthetic place. For example, I have been looking for a "cigar band" ring for my middle finger. I have ring finger rings and never before wanted to wear rings on any other fingers (with the exception of Ricky on occasion), so why do I have such a strong desire now?

I don't want to go down the rabbit hole. But all the pretty shiny things in there seem to be calling me. I find myself getting closer and closer to the edge and the ground is starting to give way. Anyway, I am posting this in an effort to try to hold myself accountable to love what I have acquired without feeding the desire for "one more piece". (At least for the foreseeable future. Not just for me. My bank account could use a break too. LOL!)

Thanks for "listening".
I have the same problem! It’s killing me to wait until after the holidays for the more expensive bling..but I keep going on eBay and sneakily buying preloved bands for stacking! I figure there are worse addictions. My list keeps growing though for the new year. I want so many different things! It’s not possible to do that so trying to narrow down the list!

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As for Celeste, I found her on www.victorbarbone.com (one of my favorite preloved sites). I fell in love with her at first click. ;)2 My experience with Audria (owner) was great, even including the process of getting the ring sized and brought back into round (as it was a little off due to wear and the thinness of the band).

Why, oh why, did I have to click on that link? Now I'm in trouble......:eek2:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
So..It’s a ripple effect..I clicked on it because you clicked on it @OboeGal and saw a gorgeous diamond flower cluster ring but for $22k! :eek2:

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

So..It’s a ripple effect..I clicked on it because you clicked on it @OboeGal and saw a gorgeous diamond flower cluster ring but for $22k! :eek2:

Her site is addicting!!! I found the inspiration for my pear’s new setting there. :kiss2:

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I calculated what I spent and :eek2: That was a real eye opener!

Here’s a pic of everything (minus Millie who is still in production with CvB and excluding my husband’s new Tag watch he got when I got mine).

0F9F0C6A-24FE-4699-82F7-9DED0D7C0F0D.jpeg

And here are some of the bigger purchases:

Abigail (reset) and band
EF6D4A0B-534A-4D3D-A077-5EA4C4F7EC3F.jpeg

Celeste
A1F11CEE-67D4-4033-B942-094E7824F1C9.jpeg

Lucy
E66C3498-6515-4919-AE81-BE00A4DF049F.jpeg

And my e-ring, Eleanor
59BA360C-AB71-4EAD-B731-A3B6C20774A6.jpeg

I think your collection is just LOVELY and well balanced. Sometimes I get sidetracked and make small but unneeded purchases...I try not to add those up. I have a long term wish list and have tried to focus on that this year. Whenever I want something I put off the purchase for a few months to see if it's a real want. Then I think about how well it works with my current collection. @mrs-b has a very detailed collection expansion plan. Check out her threads for ideas.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results