shape
carat
color
clarity

I think I may have to pull a bridezilla move. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2009 7:42:15 PM
Author: emeraldlover1
Jstar...It is apparent that we have completely different tastes but I do appreciate the input.

As they say...Viva la difference! That''s what makes life more interesting.

I must say that the fact that the dress falls below the knee on real women makes it a completely different animal. Still not my personal style, but if I were one of your bridesmaids, I would feel soooooo much more comfortable now!

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Jstar...you''ll appreciate this I think. Last weekend I was in Florida with my friends. I found a picture of what I wore on Saturday night which I think does two things. Explains my style a little more and also shows I''m a little obsessed with ruffles and pockets. Funny how my wedding dress has no pockets. Seriously, all my dresses have pockets. Let me just say that this dress that I am wearing is by Thread Social. If I had unlimited funds I would have had my girls get Thread Bridesmaid dresses.

Ok...here is the pic.

em1319.jpg

rockin11

Shiny_Rock
I LOVE them both!
30.gif
30.gif
Do you need another BM?
2.gif

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2009 8:42:25 PM
Jstar...you''ll appreciate this I think. Last weekend I was in Florida with my friends. I found a picture of what I wore on Saturday night which I think does two things. Explains my style a little more and also shows I''m a little obsessed with ruffles and pockets. Funny how my wedding dress has no pockets. Seriously, all my dresses have pockets. Let me just say that this dress that I am wearing is by Thread Social. If I had unlimited funds I would have had my girls get Thread Bridesmaid dresses.

Ok...here is the pic.

Ah, yes, I definitely see how your wedding dress and choice of bridesmaid dresses are reflected in this. As you can probably tell from the dresses I''ve suggested, I''m not a fan of ruffles myself, but I have to agree that pockets are awesome. They should really put them in more dresses!

You look fab in all of those dresses, btw!

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2009 9:17:41 PM
Author: jstarfireb

Date: 3/14/2009 8:42:25 PM

Ok...here is the pic.

Ah, yes, I definitely see how your wedding dress and choice of bridesmaid dresses are reflected in this. As you can probably tell from the dresses I''ve suggested, I''m not a fan of ruffles myself, but I have to agree that pockets are awesome. They should really put them in more dresses!

You look fab in all of those dresses, btw!
Aww...thanks. I''ve been working really hard to try and tone up my arms but seriously, they just won''t get cut up no matter what I do. That is really nice of you to say.

Lol...Ruffles are certianly a personal taste. You must hate my wedding dress then! Its all in how you wear them though, I think.

I have eight bridesmaids and of the five I have talked to they didn''t like the original dress. What? Why didn''t they say anything? They choose it, not me?? Anyway...hopefully by Monday I''ll know which dress it is or both. I''m totally fine with using both.

Not that it matters, but, I did try on 5 other dresses. I tried on the old dress, the short version of the old dress, a long new MS dress, and the bridesmaid version of the Mari dress. The two I posted were the best ones...oh and they are silk charmuse which I have to say is just awesome to wear.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooh I like the new dresses a lot (especially that one shouldered number!), although I really like the old one too! I wasn''t crazy about the original grey one, though.

And I LOVE Thread bridesmaid dresses (as well as Thread Social)...if only they weren''t so pricey! They were the first bridesmaid dresses I found that I absolutely LOVED. If I went with a more casual wedding I would have probably worn one of their empire waisted bridal gowns, actually.

So funny none of them spoke up about not liking the BM dresses they picked! I bet they thought you liked it so they went along! I grilled my bridesmaids about the dress they all seemed to like (silk V neck number from J. Crew, and they claim they really like them, so hopefully that''s true!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah I prefer the short strapless. I think it's super cute on. It looks way better on you than the model.

Speaking as a large chested woman (34DD) I'd be just fine wearing that, and would actually prefer that dress over the one strap.

So what are you leaning towards?

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Wow, what a difference! I really didn''t like the new dress on the POB website (but didn''t want to say so before) but on you it looks wonderful! Definitely show your bridesmaids the real-life photos, because that would make ALL the difference to me. It''s actually really cute!

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I have to admit I was a little lukewarm on the new dress when I saw it on the model, but it looks just gorgeous on you (you are so lovely, by the way!). I''d happily be your bridesmaid
1.gif
! I love the one-strap too--it is very chic.

I don''t see how your friends could be unhappy with either choice. They will look fabulous and have a fantastic dress to wear after the wedding. (My bridesmaids and I are wearing silk charmeuse too--theirs has a chiffon overlay--and it is so smooth and comfortable and pretty!)

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the dresses that you tried on. They both look fab. I''d be happy with either of them and I adore the one shoulder one.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 12:07:48 AM
Author: FrekeChild
Yeah I prefer the short strapless. I think it''s super cute on. It looks way better on you than the model.

Speaking as a large chested woman (34DD) I''d be just fine wearing that, and would actually prefer that dress over the one strap.

So what are you leaning towards?

Ditto, I am like a 36D I think (converting it to US sizes) and I would wear that first dress - there is ample room for a strapless bra and it looks fairly supportive if anything I like it more on you then the model :D.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for the responses. So, here is what I am thinking. I am going to get their opinion on which of the new dresses they like more. If a few like one and a few like the other then I will have two bridesmaid dresses. If only one or two like the other option then the one with the most votes wins. I have 8, so really I need three to like a different option to justify both dresses. I really like both so I would be fine with both of them being worn. It would give it some variety.

My only concern with the one sholder dress is that it is very "now" and while I like that about it I wonder how I will feel about it a year from now. The strapless I can''t really go wrong with. Did I mention that it also has removable spagetti straps? Oh, and I wore ith with and without a bra and it was better without. THere is so much structure in the top of that dress that even I with a 34DD would be fine without a bra. So...I will let you know on Tuesday what they decide. And I can''t wait to see either one of them in purple.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

newsboysgrl777

Shiny_Rock
Okay, so i gotta agree with SO many of the other girls' opinions and say you have a KICKIN' body!! I SOO wish I could pull off short, sexy dresses like that yellow striped one you wore!! As for not getting your arms more toned, etc., don't stress over it. Looking at you objectively, we would never think "oh, she'd look so much better with her arms more toned." LOL. As a matter of fact, looking at you I'd probably say "Oh man. Why can't I look like that?" LOL.

Can I also say I'm wicked jealous (sort of) of your 34DDs!! Why? I'm a size that they don't even MAKE. You'd have to special order it or search endlessly online. What's my size? I'm so sad to say this out loud. *heaves a big sigh* I'm a 38A!! That's right. 38...and A. UGH! I have NO chest to speak of, but I've got enough fat around my body that I need the larger size to 'strap in' what I don't have!! LOL. AND, here's the even sadder part. Right now, I'm between 30 - 45 pounds overweight (I say this because it depends who you ask what my ideal weight should be...LOL) and because of that extra weight, I've added some extra boobage (but only a little). SO! That being said, what I have right now, IF I were to lose weight, would be gone!! :'( UNFAIRNESS!!!! LOL. Okay, enough about me. HA HA. Back to you...

I have to say that on you, the dress really does look more flattering. (The one with the ruffles on the bottom that I didn't like on the model) When I saw it on the model, like I said, it seemed to hang off of her, which I didn't like. That being said, the length still did look a LITTLE shorter than tea length, even on you, but, seeing the type of dresses YOU like, I can see you may want them to be shorter. Having said that, I have to admit that I do like the second one a little bit better mainly because of the length (which is probably more accurately a 'tea length' dress?), but also because, to me, it seems LESS trendy. Whereas you've got those ruffles at the bottom of the orange one (that's what I'll call the first dress ;-) ), the darker dress seems very simple (not plain). However, it's a little difficult to see any detail(s), etc. because it's so much darker. So I could be wrong?!

I can understand your hesitation, though, about the one shoulder thing. I actually didn't even see it in the first picture (maybe your hair was covering it?), so I'm wondering if that's something you could consider? If your girls have longer hair, they could wear their hair down and 'cover' the strapless part in some of the pictures. That way, you'll have some pics that show the 'trendiness' of the dress, and others that might look more classic? However, it sounds to me like this is just putting a bandaid on 'the problem,' so you might just want to stick with the orange dress. :) If I were one of your BMs, the only thing I'd ask is if I could get a little more length on the bottom so it would hit just below my knee, at least. That's the ONLY thing I would be uncomfortable with, personally. Even having no boobs to squeeze into that top, it looks like, as you said, there's so much structure up there that it'd still LOOK LIKE I had something ;-)

Anyway, good luck with everything and please let us know what you decide. And I find that very interesting that no one spoke up about not liking the dress that you were going to finalize - everyone else thought everyone else loved it and if you hadn't spoken up about your not liking it (which you almost did!! (not speak up) ), that's what people would've worn!! LOL

PS. Question: Will the shorter dresses be okay comfort-wise as far as weather goes since you're going to be getting married closer to the fall??

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 12:03:56 AM
Author: newsboysgrl777
Okay, so i gotta agree with SO many of the other girls'' opinions and say you have a KICKIN'' body!! I SOO wish I could pull off short, sexy dresses like that yellow striped one you wore!! As for not getting your arms more toned, etc., don''t stress over it. Looking at you objectively, we would never think ''oh, she''d look so much better with her arms more toned.'' LOL. As a matter of fact, looking at you I''d probably say ''Oh man. Why can''t I look like that?'' LOL.

Can I also say I''m wicked jealous (sort of) of your 34DDs!! Why? I''m a size that they don''t even MAKE. You''d have to special order it or search endlessly online. What''s my size? I''m so sad to say this out loud. *heaves a big sigh* I''m a 38A!! That''s right. 38...and A. UGH! I have NO chest to speak of, but I''ve got enough fat around my body that I need the larger size to ''strap in'' what I don''t have!! LOL. AND, here''s the even sadder part. Right now, I''m between 30 - 45 pounds overweight (I say this because it depends who you ask what my ideal weight should be...LOL) and because of that extra weight, I''ve added some extra boobage (but only a little). SO! That being said, what I have right now, IF I were to lose weight, would be gone!! :''( UNFAIRNESS!!!! LOL. Okay, enough about me. HA HA. Back to you...

I have to say that on you, the dress really does look more flattering. (The one with the ruffles on the bottom that I didn''t like on the model) When I saw it on the model, like I said, it seemed to hang off of her, which I didn''t like. That being said, the length still did look a LITTLE shorter than tea length, even on you, but, seeing the type of dresses YOU like, I can see you may want them to be shorter. Having said that, I have to admit that I do like the second one a little bit better mainly because of the length (which is probably more accurately a ''tea length'' dress?), but also because, to me, it seems LESS trendy. Whereas you''ve got those ruffles at the bottom of the orange one (that''s what I''ll call the first dress ;-) ), the darker dress seems very simple (not plain). However, it''s a little difficult to see any detail(s), etc. because it''s so much darker. So I could be wrong?!

I can understand your hesitation, though, about the one shoulder thing. I actually didn''t even see it in the first picture (maybe your hair was covering it?), so I''m wondering if that''s something you could consider? If your girls have longer hair, they could wear their hair down and ''cover'' the strapless part in some of the pictures. That way, you''ll have some pics that show the ''trendiness'' of the dress, and others that might look more classic? However, it sounds to me like this is just putting a bandaid on ''the problem,'' so you might just want to stick with the orange dress. :) If I were one of your BMs, the only thing I''d ask is if I could get a little more length on the bottom so it would hit just below my knee, at least. That''s the ONLY thing I would be uncomfortable with, personally. Even having no boobs to squeeze into that top, it looks like, as you said, there''s so much structure up there that it''d still LOOK LIKE I had something ;-)

Anyway, good luck with everything and please let us know what you decide. And I find that very interesting that no one spoke up about not liking the dress that you were going to finalize - everyone else thought everyone else loved it and if you hadn''t spoken up about your not liking it (which you almost did!! (not speak up) ), that''s what people would''ve worn!! LOL

PS. Question: Will the shorter dresses be okay comfort-wise as far as weather goes since you''re going to be getting married closer to the fall??
Thank you so much for the lengthy response! Wow, you made me feel really great about myself. I had brunch with a friend of mine yesterday, she is planning her wedding for Sept. too and I told her about my arm selfconcious-ness and she said the same thing. After seeing our engagement pictures I got this huge arm thing in my head. Oh well, all I can do is work on it and maybe I see myself too much that I don''t notice when I''ve made a difference. Thanks for commenting but really, its probably all in my head, and I recognize that.

The dress really does have so much structure in the top that even my smaller chested girls would look like they have something for sure. The boning does not fall flat but there is enough coverage that the larger chested girls will not fall out. Honestly, I''m ok with the dress falling right at the knee, I think any longer is too long for the style of that dress and the girls seem to be ok with it. Actually the responses that I got when I asked them what they thought about the new option were that they love it. Some of them said that they love the old dress but that this one is more my style and that they love. The one girl that I thought might be upset actually really loved it. Maybe they are just saying that to me but I really think they are being honest especially since I asked them to speak up. I mean, I''m not the one wearing the dress.

I think the dress will be ok weather-wise. The florist actually still considers that summer season (probably more for flowers no necessarily for weather) however we are getting married in a church and our reception venue actually has a heated floor. The coctail hour is outside but I have to imagine that at 4pm in mid September that will still be ok. I went to a wedding on October 10th last year and I wore a short coctail dress and no coat and was fine. I guess that is a risk but usually that weekend is still pretty warm.

All is well that ends well. I was expecting drama and didn''t get any. Phew. Thank you all for your kind words and help. My style is definatley apparent with this new dress for that I am happy about. I think once you see the whole thing come together you will get my vision. Each girl will get a custom made silk hair flower for their hair. I''ve also gotten each girl a vintage pair of hand gloves and they are all different. I don''t know if they will actually wear them as with the new dress it might be too much, we will just have to see. When the dress comes in I''ll take a picture with all the different accessories on one of the girls and post it so that you can see.

Thanks!

katamari

Ideal_Rock
I think both of these new dresses are fab! And, if I were a BM, I would be more than happy to wear either. I totally agree that the one-shoulder one is a little more "now." Did you see the bolero? It is over the style you are looking at in the picture. If you were worried about pictures or weather, you could do this through the ceremony and photos. Then, on to the stylin'' dresses for the reception. But, the other MS dresses are just as great.

Love your style, too! I think that Stella Thread dress is divine! I actually wanted it for my reception dress, but nowhere in my state carries it. If I knew I could look as good as you do in it, though, I would order it in a second.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay for no drama!!!! So are you having all of them wear the strapless?

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I absolutely prefer the first one...the ruffles matches your own perfectly!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Um.. it is not bridezilla to pick the dress w/ zero input from the girls. Actually THAT IS THE STANDARD. It isn''t until recently that people have tried to accomodate their bridesmaids. If you like #2... that is what matters. I personally like #1 best, but... I AM NOT THE BRIDE. YOU ARE! So my oppinion means squat.

I''ve been a BM before, and do you think I''d pick the dresses they put me in.. . HECK NO. I am a short, slender, boy figure (square shaped) girl. I''ve been put in some UGLY dresses... with ZERO regard to how many alterations I would need to get a garment altered to be able to walk out w/o exposing myself.

Don''t offer them the option... BUT DO let them know there''s been a change. A bride of mine changed the dress last minute, including the COLOR. Went from something I LOVED and would look FABULOUS on me (A-Line strapless)... to a dress that was IMHO UGLY that was horrible for my figure and the color washed me out. (Think halter top/ with low back and long flowing and semibuslted-heavy skirt.) Did I say anything? Nope, I said, looks great! I''ll pick it up. Now I am working on my tan AND TANLINES, so I don''t look like the freaky bridesmaid.

So, don''t worry. These are your friends/family. They understand what you are going through, or if single... they will. HUGS!

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Ladies! I talked to all of them and they all like the strapless one of the two dresses so the strapless it is. But...as I mentioned, it actually has removeable straps if they feel like wearing them. I was expecting drama and I didn''t get it. I''ve put so much thought into making sure that they are happy that I forgot about what I wanted for a few minutes. I''m really excited about them now. Can''t wait to see what they look like in the dark purple.

Kata...I actually have a plain white Thread Social dress too and I''ll probably wear it to my bridal shower. I''ve had it for a few years and never even thought about it till you just reminded me. honestly, I love the Thread lines, I just wish they were a little more affordable. The white one I got a few years ago at a Barney''s wharehouse sale. I tried it on over my jeans and my fiance was like, "I love that dress". So, when I found the yellow stripped one last summer, I had to get it. I say go for it only if you know what size you are. Those dresses tend to run a little big on me. I''m normally a 4 or a 6 and I had to get a 2 in both those dresses.

parrot tulips

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 4:14:38 PM
Thanks Ladies! I talked to all of them and they all like the strapless one of the two dresses so the strapless it is. But...as I mentioned, it actually has removeable straps if they feel like wearing them. I was expecting drama and I didn''t get it. I''ve put so much thought into making sure that they are happy that I forgot about what I wanted for a few minutes. I''m really excited about them now. Can''t wait to see what they look like in the dark purple.

Kata...I actually have a plain white Thread Social dress too and I''ll probably wear it to my bridal shower. I''ve had it for a few years and never even thought about it till you just reminded me. honestly, I love the Thread lines, I just wish they were a little more affordable. The white one I got a few years ago at a Barney''s wharehouse sale. I tried it on over my jeans and my fiance was like, ''I love that dress''. So, when I found the yellow stripped one last summer, I had to get it. I say go for it only if you know what size you are. Those dresses tend to run a little big on me. I''m normally a 4 or a 6 and I had to get a 2 in both those dresses.
Yay for a happy resolution for EVERYONE! I''m glad it all worked out well. The short strapless dresses are adorable.

Rock Your Socks

Shiny_Rock
I like the second option, much nicer in my opinion and for different shapes it would work well. Whereas the first is not as forgiving on some i could imagine. But hey that''s my opinion and at the end of the day it''s your wedding and you have to be happy it.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Perfect resolution! Those dresses are fab, I wish I'd been 'asked' to get one as a BM
3.gif
yay for re-wearable BM dresses!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Regarding the arm toning issue...I also have to agree that your arms look just fine! But if you''re still working on them, here''s what made the biggest difference for me: free weights. I used to use the machines and *thought* my arms were toned. Then I moved into an apartment building with a gym that doesn''t have nautilus machines. So I started using free weights, and WOW, what a difference! I do biceps curls, overhead triceps extensions, and shoulder presses. My arms have not bulked up, but they''ve gotten very nicely toned. I still do some stuff with machines because there''s a universal gym machine, so my lat pulldowns and chest presses are done on those.

Anyway, not sure what your workout regimen is, but thought I''d share!

pocahontas

Brilliant_Rock
Yah EM1, I''m glad everything worked out well! I really do love this new dress and I''m especially loving the strapless version so I''m thrilled for you!

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
That''s great, Em!! Glad everything worked out and drama free to boot!
1.gif

Beautiful dresses!!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Perfect :) everything sounds like it worked out fantastically :D.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Thank you ladies for all the advice and support. Turns out now they are all excited and can''t wait to pick out shoes.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay! I''m happy that everyone else is happy! Too bad this dress didn''t come out earlier!

On the topic of shoes, are they all picking out their own or did you want them to match? (You know how I am about shoes...)

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2009 1:38:36 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Yay! I''m happy that everyone else is happy! Too bad this dress didn''t come out earlier!

On the topic of shoes, are they all picking out their own or did you want them to match? (You know how I am about shoes...)

Of course, I know how you are with the shoes!! I''m going to either pick out a color of have them all get the same ones. Right now they all want the same shoes and I''ve found a few front runners but I want to wait until the dresses come in I think. These options are copied and pasted from a few emails I had with my bridesmaids. Here are the current options...

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/52290211/c/12398.html

http://www.stevemadden.com/item.aspx?id=47536 in champagne

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7551448/c/933.html in champagne or white

http://www.newport-news.com/shop/product_single.aspx?style_id=36129198&index=6&gp_coll_id=7516&gp_cat_id=7517&nav_cat_id=9983&category_id=9984 (total prada knockoff but really 39$)

http://www.newport-news.com/shop/product_single.aspx?style_id=34475198&index=19&gp_coll_id=7516&gp_cat_id=7517&nav_cat_id=5625&category_id=5618&gp_fashcoll_id=7525

http://www2.victoriassecret.com/commerce/onlineProductDisplay.vs?namespace=productDisplay&origin=onlineProductDisplay.jsp&event=display&prnbr=CL-234665&page=6&cgname=OSSHUFIFZZZ&rfnbr=6057

I love these...: http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7551448/c/933.html

they also come in champagne and dark purple.

Or these: http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7513055/c/188975.html

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results