shape
carat
color
clarity

I think I have about come to a final decision.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tmelsh

Rough_Rock
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/settings-with-colored-sidestones/ring/item_382-3621_design.asp?step=ItemComplete&cid=382

The cut report on this site gave it a 1.7. My g/f seems to like rings with color, and she has owned sapphires in the past apparently (fake sapphires lol). I showed her a ring similar to this on Blue Nile and she seemed to like it (if it was in white gold, which James Allen has!).

Anywho, I would like just a tad more feedback before I order. This diamond seems to be in a great price range, and the pricescope.com discount is awesome!

$1470 for everything! :)

tmelsh

Rough_Rock
Specs from the GIA report using reportchecker

Laser Inscription Registry: GIA 6107389140
Round Brilliant
Measurements: 5.12 - 5.14 x 3.07 mm
Carat Weight: 0.50 carat
Color Grade: I
Clarity Grade: SI2
Cut Grade: Very Good
Proportions:
Depth: 59.8%
Table: 61%
Crown Angle: 34.5°
Crown Height: 13.5%
Pavilion Angle: 40.6°
Pavilion Depth: 42.5%
Star length: 50%
Lower Half: 80%
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick
Culet: None
Finish:
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: None
Clarity Characteristics: Feather

tmelsh

Rough_Rock
They also have a picture of the diamond, that shows the inclusion. Doesn''t look too bad to me....anybody else have an opinion on this diamond? I am ready to buy, but just want to make sure I am making a wise decision!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Tmelsh,

It has a larger table than many we see here, it is a well cut diamond but one with a smaller table ( 54- 58%) as an example might make a better balance for a ring diamond. Can you ask for an Idealscope image of this diamond?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2009 5:06:57 AM
Author: Lorelei
Hi Tmelsh,

It has a larger table than many we see here, it is a well cut diamond but one with a smaller table ( 54- 58%) as an example might make a better balance for a ring diamond. Can you ask for an Idealscope image of this diamond?
Agreed.

tmelsh

Rough_Rock
I'll have to call them to see if they can send me an idealscope image. Here is a magnified image however:

http://www.jamesallen.com/grading_report.asp?pic=1207696&type=2

To be honest, my g/f really doesn't seem to care / know anything about diamonds. I think I'm more obsessed with her ring than she is! Then again, I've always been the "stay up til 6am researching something" kinda guy when it involves making a big purchase.

How huge of an impact do you think it will have? According to some of the information on this site, brightness returns with larger tables are higher than anticipated with an ideal scope - fire is diminished however. My g/f doesn't know what either is, and none of our friends are big into jewelry either, sooo...I'm really not sure if it is a big deal.

Ironically enough, my g/f thinks I'm worrying too much about it, hehe.

*edit*

What irritates me about James Allen, is that they don't even put up just the GIA report number so I can look it up manually. You HAVE to email them and it takes up to 2 business days.

Other than that, their prices are nice and their selection is good! ^.^

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It has potential from the image, I would make absolutely sure that inclusion isn't visible to the naked eye from any angle, you would need to contact them to find out. The diamond in question will probably be a more brilliant diamond that fiery, some prefer fire and others favour brilliance but the aim for most buyers is to find a diamond which shows a nice display of fire and brilliance. But it depends on the preferences of the purchaser, but an IS would be useful.

tmelsh

Rough_Rock
Just called them, and they were very friendly. They put a hold on the diamond for me, and will have an ideal scope in 24 hours or less.

I'll post it as soon as it is available. :)

I also asked them to make sure it is eye clean.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2009 9:09:28 AM
Author: tmelsh
Just called them, and they were very friendly. They put a hold on the diamond for me, and will have an ideal scope in 24 hours or less.

I''ll post it as soon as it is available. :)

I also asked them to make sure it is eye clean.
Sounds good!
emthup.gif

tmelsh

Rough_Rock
Wow...I keep getting error messages.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
I guess you are trying to put up an image?

Try renaming it with a long string of random numbers.

tmelsh

Rough_Rock
Ok... I think I did this right.. This forum works differently from many of the others I have posted images on.

Sorry about the two separate posts, I was trying to figure out how the picture posting worked on this site, and previews were not showing my attached images...so I thought they were not posting. Disregard the topic "James Allen's Reply". Essentially, James Allen emailed me back after I called them asking for an Ideal Scope image and verification that the stone is eye clean, and all they sent me was this magnified image.

I wonder if these inclusions are eye clean?

6546086541631.JPG

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
You will have to ask them if it is eye-clean. This is a magnified view and under different lighting condition.

tmelsh

Rough_Rock
Seriously....they didn''t provide a single thing I asked for. I wonder if he was trying to mislead me?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe they are too busy? Just give them a call.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks good from the pic, as to it being eyeclean you will need to ask them, and give them a call and ask where the IS image is you requested.

tmelsh

Rough_Rock
Here is the idealscope image. Looks pretty good to me, but what does everybody else think?

1207696.jpg

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks good to me.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2009 3:15:39 PM
Here is the idealscope image. Looks pretty good to me, but what does everybody else think?
It looks fine, there is what looks to me like a tiny patch in the middle of the diamond and I can't tell if it is leakage or the effect from an inclusion so I would just check that out with the vendor if it is visible to the naked eye ( I doubt it but prudent to check), then if no problem - great.

tmelsh

Rough_Rock
I have a feeling it''s an effect from the inclusion...since it appears to be situation where the inclusion is. I have a feeling that, at this stage, I might as well take my chances and order it. They have a pretty reasonable 30 day return policy, and once I have the ring I can upload photos and everything else. I have a feeling that at .5 carats, even if some of the inclusions could be visible (they haven''t really gotten back to me on that yet)... with our eyes we probably wouldn''t see them anyways! :)

mojofc

Rough_Rock
Tip:

Call this guy named Daren

He is who I talked to yesterday at JA. Another guy called me back and the 2nd guy just sounded like your typical salesman trying to sell me anything...

Daren actually sounded like he was concerned how I spent the $ and on the better diamond for my $

240-379-8365

I''m going to call that line now though to reserve the one I posted about so you may get a busy signal.

Best of luck, seems like you''re the same as me. I think i''ll care more about the specs than my future wife.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2009 3:39:44 PM
I have a feeling it''s an effect from the inclusion...since it appears to be situation where the inclusion is. I have a feeling that, at this stage, I might as well take my chances and order it. They have a pretty reasonable 30 day return policy, and once I have the ring I can upload photos and everything else. I have a feeling that at .5 carats, even if some of the inclusions could be visible (they haven''t really gotten back to me on that yet)... with our eyes we probably wouldn''t see them anyways! :)
I forgot the size, yes in that case it makes it even less likely that you will see anything - but check to be sure!

tmelsh

Rough_Rock
Daren was the guy I talked to.

I called this morning and got Ashley, and she said that they had been getting a lot of requests lately (makes sense due to V-day), and that it was taking longer than usual.

I am fine with that, the email just sounded like after the magnified image he was all done. Maybe it was just because of the template he was using for emails.

tmelsh

Rough_Rock
Ashley called the store in New York and had a Jeweler verify that the diamond is eye clean. I have placed the order and will wire the money to them tomorrow. Once it is here, I will post pics of the ring. :) Thanks to everybody for helping me out.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CONGRATS and I look forward to the pics!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results