shape
carat
color
clarity

I think I got screwed :-(

instag8te

Rough_Rock
After losing my center stone, an asscher cut that I fell in love with, our insurance company gave me $4982 to find my own replacement, After looking for a few weeks, I found one on a popular auction site (not sure if I can say), you can guess. It was a 1.80 ct Asscher cut diamond,VS1 and H color, wow, sooo pretty. So after haggling for a few days, I got the stone for $4635. Paid for it today. Ships Monday.
It has an IGL cert., and after looking at all the reviews and thinking i did pretty good, I really just want to throw-up. http://www.igl-labs.com/admin/pdf.igl_ov.php?type=0&num=6821202&showL=true
This is the link to the stone, which as of now looks like I will be using it for toilet paper if I ever run out.
So, just by seeing the cert, can anyone tell how much I should have paid and if it would be worth it to regrade it? Leave well enough alone.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well. It will probably be a 1.8 carat asscher. It won't be an H. Or a VS1. And you can't buy asschers from the lab reports. You have to bu them from pictures, videos and ASET images.

If you bought it on ebay, return it. NOW. ASAP. We don't need to see it or anything. Just return it now. If the buyer doesn't accept returns buyer protection can still help you and I am happy to tell you how you can do that.

Please post the ebay auction listing you bought from. And we can advise you further.

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock

instag8te

Rough_Rock
I did, I fell in love with how clear it looked in the picture. The report was a bonus I thought, my last diamond never had one, I thought I was getting a real prize with a certification. But from the looks of things and what I read, it's just a piece of paper if it's not from the GIA or EGL.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting. I would not have thought a private enterprise could use the term "asscher" to denote any shape besides the trademarked Royal Asscher?

I see a link to the GIA site in the footer of the IGL homepage, but having read the FAQ and About Us I remain unclear on whether there is some affiliation besides (IGL) being headed by two G.G.s and (IGL) pledging to uphold the GIA's quality analysis specifications.

I have no idea what this means and can find no documentation to clarify or support the claim:
IDEAL SHAPE" - The quality of the shape of this diamond achieves the optimal dispersion of light and brilliance.

A brief search also failed to unearth what currency the estimated retail price is listed in and what market it is compared with, and for how long it is propositioned to be valid, but I may have missed this detailed elsewhere.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So what auction site did you buy it from. And do you have a return policy.

I'm looking at the listing and then looking at your stone... when you look at the stone you were delivered, does it match the facet/step facet of the stone in the listing? Because if it doesn't.. that right there is a reason for return.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Post the ebay link so we can see what the return policy says.

instag8te

Rough_Rock
I don't have the stone yet, It ships Monday, I bought it off his website & paid by paypal after I was sent a detailed invoice. It looks pretty and I'm hoping I didn't make a $4635 mistake. I just wanted an asscher cut diamond to put back in my ring.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well. We have all SORTS of problems.

Here's the first thing: It's not an asscher. It's not a square emerald cut. It's not even a step cut.

It's some sort of radiant. AND if you read the listing title it say: 1.80 Carat Radiant H VS1 100% Natural Certified Asscher Cut

So they KNOW it's not an asscher. And I can tell you now it's not an H either.

BUT-- you have 14 days return policy. JUST RETURN IT ASAP. DON'T EVEN WAIT ONE DAY. Contact them THROUGH EBAY (no other way) and tell them you are returning it. Get the Authorization number per the below. WRITE IT ON THE BOX. Mail it back. Use Priority from USPS with delivery confirmation. OKAY?

"We offer a 100%, no questions asked, money back guarantee return policy.
If for whatever reason you are not completely satisfied and wish to return your purchase, please follow these simple steps:
Notify us that you wish to return your purchase within 30 days of receipt and we will issue you a return authorization number. The item must be sent to us within 3 days after you receive this number; which needs to be clearly marked on the outside of the box, and you are responsible for shipping and insurance.
Once our diamond experts have inspected your return, your money will be refunded by the same payment method. Items must be returned within 30 days of receipt in their original condition. Items returned without certification will be subject to a $75 replacement fee.
Contact Us:
Call US 512-650-4588

OK?

JUST RETURN IT.

not_an_asscher.png

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If it were me though: would just try to cancel the order tomorrow. I'd call then, leave a message WITH the ebay transaction # 301270463565. Tell them you changed your mind. And you don't want them to ship it. And you want to cancel the transaction. That is the easiest way.

And THEN also follow that up with an ebay message that says the exact same thing. You need it all documented through the ebay system.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only thing I see on the website regarding a return is this:

"If a product offered by Jewelry By Raphael is not as described, your sole remedy is to return it in unused condition."

Since it was not on ebay, I would do whatever I could to cancel before it is sent out. I would email them immediately and tell them you changed your mind and would like a refund.

A 1 ct H VS1 asscher will cost as much or more than the stone you ordered. You need a lot more than a tiny picture to determine whether the asscher is a well cut stone. You'd really need a magnified image of the stone as well as an ASET image. And one thing we can assure you is that it is nowhere near an H VS1 at that price.

If you are unable to cancel and get a refund, then you are going to immediately need to send the stone to an independent appraiser (and possibly two) to get their opinions on the color and clarity. You might even want to send the diamond to GIA, but that can be a long process. Once you get some opinions that differ on the color and clarity, then you can request the refund based on the diamond not being as described. But I would try to cancel now.

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1407561801|3729012 said:
If it were me though: would just try to cancel the order tomorrow. I'd call then, leave a message WITH the ebay transaction # 301270463565. Tell them you changed your mind. And you don't want them to ship it. And you want to cancel the transaction. That is the easiest way.

And THEN also follow that up with an ebay message that says the exact same thing. You need it all documented through the ebay system.

The problem is that the OP bought it off of the seller's website and NOT through Ebay. There is no ebay record of the OP buying the stone so the OP isn't going to be covered by Ebay.

The OP should definitely call the seller directly ASAP and try to cancel the order. Maybe even call the credit card company and try to cancel the transaction if it's still pending.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
instag8te|1407560841|3729005 said:
I don't have the stone yet, It ships Monday, I bought it off his website & paid by paypal after I was sent a detailed invoice. It looks pretty and I'm hoping I didn't make a $4635 mistake. I just wanted an asscher cut diamond to put back in my ring.

Whatever is on ebay is not going to help AT ALL if the diamond was bought through his website. You do not have the same return policy or anything unless you specifically got that in writing because it is not on the website that I can see.

Whose idea was it to buy the diamond outside of ebay? Because it is for your benefit to buy through ebay where the return policies are specified and you have avenues to protect you if things go badly.

And yes, if it is credit card, that would be good. If it was paid by PayPal, that is harder to undo. The credit card company could help if they give you trouble on the return, but you will still have to document that the diamond was not as described.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And take a screen shot right this minute of the webpage where it shows this stone as an asscher in case it turns out to be a radiant.

http://www.jewelrybyraphael.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=104

Also take a screen shot of the terms and conditions page where the one sentence is about returning an item that is not as described.

First thing tomorrow send the email cancelling the order AND make a phone call as well.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Muluver|1407562034|3729015 said:
Gypsy|1407561801|3729012 said:

The problem is that the OP bought it off of the seller's website and NOT through Ebay. There is no ebay record of the OP buying the stone so the OP isn't going to be covered by Ebay.

The OP should definitely call the seller directly ASAP and try to cancel the order. Maybe even call the credit card company and try to cancel the transaction if it's still pending.

Okay. I missed that.

OP. You didn't get screwed.

You screwed yourself.

I don't see a return policy listed on this site: http://www.jewelrybyraphael.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=6

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK. So. Here's another thing. On this page: http://www.jewelrybyraphael.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=104 Under specifications it says "SHAPE: RADIANT"

Lovely.

1) CALL THEM NOW AND LEAVE A MESSAGE that says you want to cancel the transaction and that you do not want them to ship.
2) Cancel the transaction through paypal if you can.
3) If it ships. Contact them WHILE IT IS IN THE MAIL and ask them for a return ASAP.
4. IF THEY DON'T AGREE this is what you need to do:
Dispute the item as "not as described" through paypal. Send them the link to the listing "http://www.jewelrybyraphael.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=104" and tell them the stone you recieved does not match the image on that page and is not an asscher.

And then hope for the best, because you don't have a strong case.

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1407562405|3729019 said:
And take a screen shot right this minute of the webpage where it shows this stone as an asscher in case it turns out to be a radiant.

http://www.jewelrybyraphael.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=104

Also take a screen shot of the terms and conditions page where the one sentence is about returning an item that is not as described.

First thing tomorrow send the email cancelling the order AND make a phone call as well.

This is a great suggestion. The only silver lining in this case is the fact that the stone on the seller's website is CLEARLY NOT the stone on the ebay listing. So if there are issues with the seller regarding the cancellation or return, you can claim that the stone you got is NOT the one pictured on the website listing that you purchased. So start taking screen shots now before the seller takes down or modifies the listing. That's another problem with buying off of the seller's website vs Ebay. With Ebay, he wouldn't be able to modify the listing after the purchase or take down the listing.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I captured a screen shot of the listing, just in case.

TO ANYONE WHO IS READING:
WHEN YOU FIND SOMETHING ON EBAY: DO NOT BUY OFF EBAY. YES, it costs more. IT IS WORTH IT FOR THE PROTECTION IT OFFERS.

There is a saying: Penny wise and pound foolish. That is what you are when you buy off ebay.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't mean to throw fuel on the fire but if you are getting the stone in that pic there is no way in hades it will be a GIA H in colour and it looks like a lowish clarity as well. Two more reasons not to get it or to send it back.

instag8te

Rough_Rock
I called him and he tried to talk me out of it, but in the end, I got a full refund from Paypal. Thank you for the help, now back to looking for a replacement diamond :(

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
instag8te|1407596366|3729178 said:
I called him and he tried to talk me out of it, but in the end, I got a full refund from Paypal. Thank you for the help, now back to looking for a replacement diamond :(

Oh thank GOODNESS!!!! I am going to link you some info about asschers! You won't be getting a 1.8 ct stone at that price point, but you can get a fine quality stone this time!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought my asscher from Good Old Gold and they are excellent at sourcing great ones (not just what they currently list, they call in other stones that meet your specs). Here are some videos they have made. The first one explains why some asschers are bad and how to find a good one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5zhsVjyEJ8

Here is the video they made for me when I was shopping for an asscher:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7SBfNGxTFE

SB621

Ideal_Rock

You should throw yourself at Gypsy's feet for saving you 4k on that mistake.

If you want an asscher then look at James Allen. They usually have a good selection. Though I doubt you will get a 1.8ct anything for under 5k. Unless you really go low in color and clarity.

Cricketcat

Shiny_Rock
I'm glad you could get out of that. I would follow Diamondseeker's advise.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade

AWESOME. I was going to write that PayPal is pretty efficient at protecting the buyer, to the point of the seller is pretty much hosed if the buyer is unhappy, even when the buyer is dead wrong. (Hey, it happens!)

I will still write that, but you need no longer worry about it, so all is well. Perhaps someone else will need to know this so it still gets said.

Congratulations and good luck in your search.

You will be able to find several people here to help you with an Asscher cut. It is hard to find one by the numbers so be sure to work with someone who can bring it in for you, or who already has it for you to view. (Not me, I am not fishing here as I rarely have one. The fine and friendly folks here can make excellent recommendations for you.)

Wink

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad you were able to get a refund! There are many here that will help you find a spectacular stone.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK. Whew. Great news.

Now, let's set about finding you a decent stone. Please answer the following questions:

1. What were the dimensions of you last stone.

2. Can you post of picture of your setting for us both from the profile and head on.

3. What is your total budget? How much more can you add to your original budget.

I think we'll go to J color for you to maximize size. And with asschers they do show inclusions, so we'll see what we can get away with there.

Your current budget will only get you a little over a carat in I-J color. So knowing the measurements of your last stone and seeing what your setting looks like will be very important.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results