shape
carat
color
clarity

I think i got ripped off - 1 Carat EGL E SI2 Very Good Cut

joe2fly

Rough_Rock
Hi, I purchased a 1 Carat E SI2 Very Good EGL diamond.
I was told it was a great deal at $3700.
But now i'm seeing diamonds with the sames specks on Solomobrothers.com (i live in atlanta) for much less, about $2700.

Is there a reason why an EGL diamond with such similar specs could differ in price so much?

Are there any other sites where I can check EGL diamond prices?

Did I get ripped off?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice

Joe

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: I think i got ripped off - 1 Carat EGL E SI2 Very Good C

I'm no expert, but $2700 for 1 carat sounds low, so that SB diamond probably has no sparkle. Did you actually see the diamond you paid for? If you like it, I think you got a good deal. Even what you paid is pretty low for 1 carat IMO.

daysie8

Rough_Rock

I'm also a newbie here, but which EGL lab was it?

I thought EGL was typically cheaper than GIA, AGS, but then there are variations in EGL labs around the world.

Also, which labs were the diamonds graded at at Solomonbros?

Is it possible for you to refund the diamond to your existing vendor?

joe2fly

Rough_Rock

Yes I think I could get a refund.

The problem is I thought I was getting a GIA diamond for those specs, which I thought was a great deal.

but when i got an EGL, i was dissapointed.

I looked all over the certificate but it doesn't say which EGL, it just says EGL, how can I tell?

Im thinking of going to solomon and comparing this diamond side by side with theirs, you' think they'll let me?

Joe

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

joe2fly said:

The problem is I thought I was getting a GIA diamond for those specs, which I thought was a great deal.

I looked all over the certificate but it doesn't say which EGL, it just says EGL, how can I tell?

Im thinking of going to solomon and comparing this diamond side by side with theirs, you' think they'll let me?

Joe

Return it now. If you want GIA then get a GIA. But it will not be a 1ct diamond.

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock

joe2fly said:

Joe

I imagine they'd be more than willing. Is your current diamond within a return period? Are you disappointed with the diamond or the price?

septsparkle

Brilliant_Rock

Dreamer_D said:
joe2fly said:

Joe

Return it now. If you want GIA then get a GIA. But it will not be a 1ct diamond.

Ditto!

joe2fly

Rough_Rock

So I paid fair value?

my problem is that I purchased through a family friend who is a diamond whole-seller, who told me he was giving me a ridiculous deal. Who said he sold it to me basically at cost.

So if i paid fair value, I feel ripped off.

and the face that he's a friend of the family makes the return even more awkward.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

joe2fly said:
So I paid fair value?

my problem is that I purchased through a family friend who is a diamond whole-seller, who told me he was giving me a ridiculous deal. Who said he sold it to me basically at cost.

and the face that he's a friend of the family makes the return even more awkward.

I think you paid fair value for an EGL Very Good cut E SI2 from an online vendor. Online prices are lower than retail stores so would be lower than your family friend -- he may tell you he is an wholesaler, but if selling to you the public, he is a retailer.

BUT BUT BUT the quality of what you bought is probably not good. EGL is a soft lab and your diamond would probably be lower in color and clarity if graded by GIA. You may not have paid a fair price at all compared to, say, an F/G color I1/I2 diamond graded by GIA, which is what you might actually have there. This is the trouble with EGL and why I do not recommend them. GIA and AGS are reputable safe labs to purchase from. They appear to cost more than EGL, but when you account for soft grading, the prices are probably comparable.

Also, you can do better on cut for sure.

The trouble is you wanted a deal, and there are no deals in diamonds, only fair value for your money. That diamond cost about half what a 1ct diamond should cost. Did you expect to get an awesome stone for that price? 8)

I think your jeweler sounds like a used car salesman giving you his best price on something you did not ask for (you expected GIA) :nono: I cannot count the number of people coming to these boards after being treated poorly by a "family friend who is a wholesaler".

septsparkle

Brilliant_Rock

joe2fly said:
So I paid fair value?

Then perhaps let him know you'd rather have a GIA stone and let him exchange it for you, but just go in armed with what the average prices are before you go back to see him so you can tell whether you are getting a fair value...or a ridiculous deal..or none of the above.

daysie8

Rough_Rock

Hi Joe,

I can totally commiserate with you. Many a times have I done business through people I know and end up with a worse off deal.

The refund issue: I know it will probably be awkward, but he was the first one to misrepresent the "at cost price" deal to you. (Having said that, I don't know what kind of store/operation he runs so he may in fact be telling the truth). Bottom line, you guys did a normal business transaction, and I think normal business transaction rules should apply be it family or friend.

Good luck!

AnneinGA

Shiny_Rock

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Anne :) said:
From my reading it's EGL International that has a worse reputation than the EGL USA.

This is my understanding too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results