shape
carat
color
clarity

I THINK I FOUND MY CUSHION - PLEASE GIVE ADVICE

ChampagneTaste

Rough_Rock
I just received photos of my Perry/Leon Mege sourced stone. I would appreciate any input you might have.

I have included the photos that were sent to me along with the GIA certificate.

CUT: OLD MINE BRILLIANT
MEASUREMENTS: 7.30 X 6.8 X 4.68 mm
RATIO: 1:1.07

CARAT WEIGHT: 1.75
COLOR GRADE: J
CLARITY GRADE: VS2
POLISH: EXCELLENT
SYMMETRY: GOOD
FLUORESCENCE: NONE
CROWN ANGLES GREATER THAN 40%

Table 52%
Depth 68.8%
Culet/Large
ATTACHMENTS

1.75 J VS2-CUSHION.JPG

1.75 J VS2.JPG

1.75 J VS2-CUSHION-1.JPG

1.75 J VS2-CUSHION.jpg

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOO, I like it, looks well balanced and should make a lovely ring

Love Street

Shiny_Rock
It's beautiful!! I love the proportions and the culet - BEAUTIFUL old world look IMHO.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the shape, faceting pattern and large culet. I guess Leon doesnt do any IS/ASET images?
It looks to be a really pretty stone.

ChampagneTaste

Rough_Rock
I don't know for sure, I am going to ask him today.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wow, looks amazing.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
lovely! how do you plan to have it set?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very nice example of the type of cut! I like the high crown a lot and the culet.

It is hard to judge color from pics, but it looks to be a J on the warmer side if the pics are accurate. I think in person it will have a noticable warmth if the pictures are accurate. I like a little warmth, myself, but the J category is broad and some show more than others. I would be curious to see what Perry says about the color of the stone. This information could matter to you if you plan a halo. It is stunning though, I like it a lot!

ChampagneTaste

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your input. I am worried about the J color. I am talking to Perry tomorrow.

I think I have decided against a halo. I am going with somethings similarto this one, but with two prong setting. Anyone have any thoughts on the setting?

r1060_010Ww.jpg

Doc_1

Shiny_Rock
good choice, the stone looks like going to be a pretty one when mated to the gorgeous setting you have chosen.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
ChampagneTaste said:
Thanks for your input. I am worried about the J color. I am talking to Perry tomorrow.

I think I have decided against a halo. I am going with somethings similarto this one, but with two prong setting. Anyone have any thoughts on the setting?

Why are you worried? Have you viewed diamonds in person and determined you preference for body color? Are you hoping for a colorless stone? J color diamonds are gorgeous, but they are not colorless. I own a J and love it. You just need to love your diamond for what it is!

I love that setting. If you want a halo, though, and you worry about the diamond's color, then I suggest dropping ct. to get a higher color (H/I) and then halo that puppy. Halos are the great size equalizer. If you get a 1.5ct H/I color stone and halo it you will not notice that it is any smaller than a 1.7ct in a halo.

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
ChampagneTaste said:

The J will look great in that setting because it'll look very antiqued. The first pic takes my breath away. It looks gorgeous.

ChampagneTaste

Rough_Rock
Thanks Miss Debbie and Dreamer D!
I have been married for 28 years and am replacing a lost/stolen er and band. I am trying to stay within the "budget" (amount paid by insurance company) I am heartsick over my original diamond, and want to replace it with something I love. I have always wanted a LM ring. I have an 8 3/4 ring finger and need a little larger stone. I originally started with Perry looking at an 1.5ct H / VS2 stone. I hope I am doing the right thing by going with a larger stone with less color grade. My original diamond was G / VS1 - 1.01 ct

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
I have an E sourced by Perry and a coupla AVC J's for studs. The E is gorgeous and very very bright and white. The J's are softer and sweeter. Now personally, I'm super stoked to have a bright white center stone for my Ering. It just feels soooo clean. But for some people that clean brightness is too much. In an antique-y setting (like the beauty you picked), I'd rather have a lower, softer color.

Have you compared colorless to a J in real life? That's really the only way to tell for sure.

If you like the character of the J, I think it would be a perfect match for that ring. Actually even more so than a G or higher. Also, IMHO, going bigger will be better than smaller and higher color. You want it to fit your finger.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
ChampagneTaste said:
Thanks Miss Debbie and Dreamer D!
I have been married for 28 years and am replacing a lost/stolen er and band. I am trying to stay within the "budget" (amount paid by insurance company) I am heartsick over my original diamond, and want to replace it with something I love. I have always wanted a LM ring. I have an 8 3/4 ring finger and need a little larger stone. I originally started with Perry looking at an 1.5ct H / VS2 stone. I hope I am doing the right thing by going with a larger stone with less color grade. My original diamond was G / VS1 - 1.01 ct

If you want hand presence, I really encourage a halo. The difference in finger presence is amazing. I was at Tiffany and tried a new design they have, which is a prong set halo, and the .70ct ring had the same hand presence as my 1.7ct solitaire! :-o A halo adds about 2mm plus in diameter to a stone, which is like adding a few cts when you are talking about larger diamonds!

I think that lovely cushion would look great in a halo, antique. Or a solitaire. What about having the diamond sent to you so you can see it before it is set? It will set your mind at ease.

ChampagneTaste

Rough_Rock
Thanks Dreamer D for your time and ideas. I'm going to look a little more at settings and then decide. I have just seen so many halos that I am a little weary of them although I think they are gorgeous - especially Leon's.

I just got off the phone with Perry and had a lengthy conversation about the stone and the possibilities for it. He and Leon both think it is a very worthy stone so I'm probably going to go with it. They do not do IS/ASET images.

ChampagneTaste

Rough_Rock
Wow Miss Debbie !! An E color stone. I am jealous.

I love both looks, but I think I prefer a little warmth for the antique mounting and look. But I wish it was a H/I, but it is that budget that gets in the way!

I cannot say enough nice things about Perry and how much time he took with me today.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
ChampagneTaste said:
Thanks Dreamer D for your time and ideas. I'm going to look a little more at settings and then decide. I have just seen so many halos that I am a little weary of them although I think they are gorgeous - especially Leon's.

I just got off the phone with Perry and had a lengthy conversation about the stone and the possibilities for it. He and Leon both think it is a very worthy stone so I'm probably going to go with it. They do not do IS/ASET images.

Have you seen a Leon halo in person? Seems to me that it is a whole different class from the types of halos you see out and about, even at higher end stores.

ChampagneTaste

Rough_Rock
If anyone talks to Chunky Cushion Lover or Charmy Poo, please ask them to give their advice about this stone.

I would really appreciate it :)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
They have commented many times on the style of diamonds that Perry/Leon offer in other threads, if you are looking for a more immediate answer!

Hopefully they will see this thread.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Sorry for the late reply - I kept seeing this thread but thought it was your old one without photos :)

I think this is a beautiful diamond and I love the high crown (personal preference). So I am a bit of a nut and I will throw it out there that this diamond won't have the fully lit up maltese cross like an AVC. However, I think this is a gorgeous diamond and the perfect match for what you are looking for within your price point and size. You wouldn't get the same size AVC for this price given carat, color and clarity are equal. I am sure it will be stunning in real life.

To Dreamer's point, you should really check out some Js to see if it is something you can live with. Sometimes we think we are ok with a warmer diamond but real life and daily wear could be a different thing .. especially since this is a quite a few color grades from what your current diamond. Do you think Perry will be open to trying to find you a diamond that is in the G/H range but a bit smaller? If you compare these side by side, you can determine the best balance for you. Also, while I think the depth is good - sometimes a lower depth with a thinner girdle will also look great but give you more face up size (as an example, my AVC is actually rather shallow at 63% but the optical performance is not sacarficed greatly and it faces up very large - 1.7 ct and 7.2x7.2).

Anyways, I honestly think I am over thinking things but wanted to put it all on the table. I strongly believe that you will be very happy with this diamond and it is a beauty. I hope it makes you go :love:

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
ChampagneTaste said:
If anyone talks to Chunky Cushion Lover or Charmy Poo, please ask them to give their advice about this stone.

I would really appreciate it :)

Overall this is a beautiful well cut diamond, a modern reproduction of a vintage cutting style.

Here is what I like about it:

i) nice squareish outline
ii) appealing optical symmetry
iii) really tall crown with steep crown angles
iv) nice distictive windmill pattern in the centre, the 1,5,7,11 o'clock mains are also thick which is uncommon in these modern reproductions.

Here are my concerns:

i) I see inclusions in the culet which may be more eye visible as the diamond acts as a window in this area. I hope you checked to see if these were visible to your eye. VS2 inclusions are small but can sometimes be seen by careful viewers.

ii) The J color especially in an antique cushion will show warmth, make sure you are okay with this.

iii) You have to be okay with a large culet and the Kozibe Effect (reflections of the culet into other facets) that will occur at some viewing angles. This is charactertistic of the vintage cutting style and makes this diamond look more authentic, but to some they prefer to see a smaller culet which is also possible in these modern reproductions.

iv) This will be a contrasty diamond with big broad flashes and fire, at other times it will be dark in those same areas. If you want a brighter diamond overall under the table you will have to pay a premium to get it.

ChampagneTaste

Rough_Rock
Thank you CCL for your thoughts. I was hoping you would give your opinion.

Please explain about seeing an inclusion in the culet. I see that little dot, but thought it was something on the paper the stone is sitting on. Is that black dot inside the hole what you are referring to?

You are dead on in your assessment. I would love it to be lighter under the table, but I'm thinking this might be the best I am going to do with my budget. I wish it was an H/I in color, but then it would be incrementally more in price. I like the ratio, I like the table, I like the size, I like the price. Should I wait for better color and give up size.

I have not seen it in person. I will ask Perry today about the possibility of seeing it. It would probably answer all my questions.

** Why do you call it a reproduction cut? What makes you know that and is that a bad thing?

What do you think about the Leon mounting I have selected. I am trying to make it look as large as possible across my size 8 3/4 finger but without a halo.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
ChampagneTaste said:
Thank you CCL for your thoughts. I was hoping you would give your opinion.

Please explain about seeing an inclusion in the culet. I see that little dot, but thought it was something on the paper the stone is sitting on. Is that black dot inside the hole what you are referring to?

Yes it is, I hope you are right, Perry will be able to comment on it.

You are dead on in your assessment. I would love it to be lighter under the table, but I'm thinking this might be the best I am going to do with my budget.

Don't read too much into the photographs, Perry/Leon's photos are always too dark as the camera lense is too close to the diamond which exaggerates contrast.

I wish it was an H/I in color, but then it would be incrementally more in price. I like the ratio, I like the table, I like the size, I like the price. Should I wait for better color and give up size.

If you can see the stone in person under different lighting, (under a table, by the window, outside, look at the body and faceup) and if you are satisfied with the color I would probably stop looking. You can drive yourself crazy trying to get the "perfect" stone, the cut is so close to your preferences just make sure color and clarity are as well.

I have not seen it in person. I will ask Perry today about the possibility of seeing it. It would probably answer all my questions.

** Why do you call it a reproduction cut? What makes you know that and is that a bad thing?

It is most certainly not a bad thing in my book. The style of cutting is similar to that of the Old Mine Cut Cushions which were popular pre 1900. Given that it was cut recently you benefit from improved polishing, optical symmetry, nicely rounded outline and light performance optimization which was not as readily available in true antiques of that era.
What do you think about the Leon mounting I have selected. I am trying to make it look as large as possible across my size 8 3/4 finger but without a halo.

I think it matches very well with the style of stone you have chosen and will make a beautiful combination. As for bling factor though I think a halo or three stone will give you more bling than just a solitaire setting. [/quote]

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
To help put your mind at ease for the time being, I also think the "inclusion" is just dirt behind the diamond.

ChampagneTaste

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much CCL for your additional comments. ll
I have decided I need to see the stone with my own eyes. I think it worth the cost of shipping.
I am going to give some additional thought to a possible halo. I had just hoped the stone could hold its own in size.

I am still a little confused at how you know it was cut more recently. Is there a date somewhere I am missing?
ar
I assume the Feb 2010 date on the GIA cert was when the cert was done / not when the stone was cut?

**CharmyPoo..... thanks for your comment to ease my concerns about inclusion in the culet. I will verify that with Perry and also my own eyes soon.

You all have been an enormous help!!!

If you have any thoughts about which Leon halo mounting you like for this stone, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Genuine antiques are simply not cut with the same precision as the modern repros, like this one.

I think you should see it in person for sure, it will help you decide a few things, including whether you want a halo or three stone for more finger presence. The proportions of your diamond are smaller than my RB, which is 7.65mm in dia., and I wear a size 6... and I do not think my diamond is all that huge on my finger 8) I plan to reset my stone down the road to a three stone. If great finger presence is what you are after, I would also suggest halo or three stone, like CCL suggested.

My favourite halo is the Adrianna, simple and perfect.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results