shape
carat
color
clarity

I think i am getting the deal of the century!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mtnclimber69

Rough_Rock
I found a dealer in New York, online, that is offering me a Princess cut, 1.01 carat stone, VS-1, H in color, 74% depth, 70% table, good polish, good symetry, medium girdle, no cutlet, no graining, no flourescence, 5.50x5.25x4.1mm

Set in platinum, all for about 3K...

thoughts?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Does it have a grading report?

If grades are accurate the price sounds very good for the diamond and platinm setting.

mtnclimber69

Rough_Rock
Yes, it has a grading report from: State Diamond and jewelry appraiser, as issued by the GEMOLOGICAL LABORATORY

seems to have an address of 49 west 47th street, mezzanine, new york, new york, for the appraiser...

If anyone wants to check the guy out i can make the connections through outside email... so I can get the referral credit.

I have spent about 5+ weeks looking around everywhere and this seems like the best deal on that type of ring/stone I can find anywhere.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I don't want to discourage you Mtnclimber69 but since the diamond doesn’t have GIA grading report you might want to check the grading with independent expert to make sure the diamond is indeed as represented.

in New York.

[/u][/u]

jamesd

Shiny_Rock
Here's how to approach lab reports.

If it is GIA or AGS believe it.

If it is EGL, assume that color and clarity are one grade lower than the cert says. Maybe lower still.

If it is another lab, assume they are both at least two grades lower.

There are other reliable labs out there (PGS, for example, is likely to be good) but that's a ballpark guideline which will protect you. How good does the deal look if the diamond is two grades lower in color and clarity than the lab says?

Why would a dealer give you the deal of the century? Did you save the life of their child or just wander into their web site? If the latter, forget it. You're at best getting a good deal. At worst, you're being sold something which isn't as described, to make you think you're getting a good deal when you aren't, or being sold something which matches what you want at a price which is fair for the lower quality it really is. Or, if you did save the life of the child, you could be getting the deal of the century.

mtnclimber69

Rough_Rock
Hmm, you all seem to have good advice leaning towards skeptical...

Here is a nearly identical ring to the one I am being offered. The dealer is obviously on ebay, sells a lot of merchandise, with pretty good feedback..

What is everyone's take in this???

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1701274373&r=0&t=0&showTutorial=0&ed=1013794449&indexURL=0&rd=1

Cheers!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Cost of the setting is about $300 and if it is I-J/SI instead of H/VS you are getting so-so deal...

Ask the seller about return policy (in written) if the diamond will be found overgraded by independent appraiser or major gem lab (e.g. GIA or AGS - you can send the stone there yourself). See the reaction...

mtnclimber69

Rough_Rock
hmm.... well I called him on it, he said he guarantees everything 100%, 7 day return policy. I will probably go ahead with it and get the stone appraised when I have it in hand. I may be a little nervous, but life is never without risk.

If anyone is curious to know what happens feel free to attach a request here...

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Of course we'd like to know Mtnclimber69.

Do you have an independent appraiser in mind?

shoppingqueen

Rough_Rock
Hi mtnclimber69,

I go through ebay quite a bit. I've read the fine print of one of those ebay vendors -- it states that the stone might be 1-2 clarity & color grade lower than the stated quality. If the stone being shipped is within the stated limit, the stone can not be refunded. I would think more than twice before I buy from them. Be careful, read all the fine prints or ask all the questions that you can think of.

Gook luck!

Shopping queen:rolleyes:

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Shoppingqueen,

...it seems a very little portion in this site can match the price listed on pricestat. It makes me really wonder whether those wholesle prices are real prices for general consumers.

Price stats are based on the real prices in the database... However, as you shouldn't consider it as any "oficial list" :)

I'd rather recommend you simply compare prices using the search engine.

mtnclimber69

Rough_Rock
Hey all,

Yeah, I chickened out of the deal... seemed too much like a poor quality setting, even though the price was right... I feel as though I should wait and try to get a better quality stone at least... so the search goes on.

I will still look for a good quality princess cut stone in the 1.0 carat range with VS1 and H as the primary target range in quality with hopefully a good cut.

I also want the Vatche xprong setting but can anyone beat the $900- price tag???

Hey, I am recovering from getting laid off, price is an issue!

Cheers

buttercup

Rough_Rock
ask juan of www.van-graff.com to copy that setting for you, he does a great job as i'm sure you've read on DT.
i think Vatche is pretty strict about what people sell the settings for.

scotty ferguson

Rough_Rock
$900 seems about right. you might want to get in touch with lesley of whiteflash or jan/brad of diamond brokers of florida and see if they can offer a better price. they may be able to strike you a deal if you get the diamond from them (note: i have not purchased from them, but both of them offer great stones and service at extremely competitive prices).

after a quick search, it looks like they offer diamonds with the specs you're looking for in the $3000-4000 range.

i would also suggest making sure you get a diamond with at least a thin to medium girdle.

hope this helps.

----------------
On 2/18/2002 12:57:26 PM

Hey all,

Yeah, I chickened out of the deal... seemed too much like a poor quality setting, even though the price was right... I feel as though I should wait and try to get a better quality stone at least... so the search goes on.

I will still look for a good quality princess cut stone in the 1.0 carat range with VS1 and H as the primary target range in quality with hopefully a good cut.

I also want the Vatche xprong setting but can anyone beat the $900- price tag???

Hey, I am recovering from getting laid off, price is an issue!

Cheers
----------------

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results