shape
carat
color
clarity

I think I am cursed :(

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I''m sure you all remember my post about my Malaya garnet ring. I had Brian Gavin do the setting and it was made in 14K gold when it should have been 18K. It was also a bit snug. Well, I got in back today and louped it, and now it has a tiny chip on the top edge of the girdle extending a bit onto a crown facet. I know it did not have a chip when Gene sent it to me nor did it have a chip the first time Brian sent it to me. (and I never wore the ring) I called Brian and he said he doesn''t know how this could have happened because they didn''t even take it out of the original head. They kept it in the head and made a new shank. I feel bad even posting this because Brian and Lesley are so nice to deal with. Brian said he would call Gene but I decided to call Gene myself. Gene said it can''t be fixed because he would have to essentially redo all the facets with this particular pattern. (and he explained some other reasons which I would not be able to elaborate on) He said the stone would be really screwed up. Fortunately, the chip can''t be seen without a loop but it is still pretty upsetting to me. I am so careful with my jewelry. And if it was going to get a chip, I''d like to have been the one to do it.
39.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
That truly does stink, Cind. I would be upset too! Fortunately it is not eye-visible, at least.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the chip can''t be seen without a loupe, I wouldn''t sweat it. If you wear your gemstones on a regular basis, no matter how careful you are, you''re bound to get a tiny chip here and there. Almost unavoidable.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
About half the time my gemstones get a tiny chip while being set. I used to think that my jeweler was really bad. Then I read Ellen's story about her heirloom Richard Homer recut aqua getting chipped by Leon Mege, and I decided if I couldn't see it without a loupe, then I wouldn't sweat it.

So now, I just get them set, wear them and enjoy them.
2.gif

Looking forward to pics of your ring, Cindy!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just throwing out a though here: you don''t think the damage was sustained during shipping and handling?

It sucks to have a gemstone damaged in any way, no matter now small.
7.gif
I''m glad that it isn''t noticeable to the naked eye though.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/25/2009 9:40:37 PM
Author: icekid
That truly does stink, Cind. I would be upset too! Fortunately it is not eye-visible, at least.
Yes, I am certainly glad it won''t be seen by the average person.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/25/2009 9:41:19 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
If the chip can''t be seen without a loupe, I wouldn''t sweat it. If you wear your gemstones on a regular basis, no matter how careful you are, you''re bound to get a tiny chip here and there. Almost unavoidable.
I know and I keep telling myself that but I wish I was the one to chip it first!

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/25/2009 9:55:05 PM
Author: Fly Girl
About half the time my gemstones get a tiny chip while being set. I used to think that my jeweler was really bad. Then I read Ellen''s story about her heirloom Richard Homer recut aqua getting chipped by Leon Mege, and I decided if I couldn''t see it without a loupe, then I wouldn''t sweat it.

2.gif

Wow, that is rather disturbing to hear.(half the time? Sheesh!) Gene did tell me he sees this all the time. He said jewelers are so used to dealing with diamonds and not colored stones. I do remember Ellen''s post about her aqua. That was pretty upsetting.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/25/2009 10:19:37 PM
Author: Chrono
Just throwing out a though here: you don''t think the damage was sustained during shipping and handling?

7.gif
The ring was in a nice presentation box in a bag and double boxed since it came FedEx so there is no way it happened during shipping.

I am sure I will get over this. I try to keep it all in perspective but it just bothers me!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2009 10:50:15 PM
Author: Cind11

About half the time my gemstones get a tiny chip while being set. I used to think that my jeweler was really bad. Then I read Ellen''s story about her heirloom Richard Homer recut aqua getting chipped by Leon Mege, and I decided if I couldn''t see it without a loupe, then I wouldn''t sweat it.

2.gif

Wow, that is rather disturbing to hear.(half the time? Sheesh!) Gene did tell me he sees this all the time. He said jewelers are so used to dealing with diamonds and not colored stones. I do remember Ellen''s post about her aqua. That was pretty upsetting.
Yeah, it happens pretty often. They are generally pretty tiny, and appear to be a nick from a setting tool, like a very tiny gouge. This jeweler is pretty inexpensive, but expensive apparently doesn''t protect you. Now I just skip louping the stones. Well, I did finally loupe my latest ring, and no chips visible. So, it doesn''t always happen.

My RH amethysts are being set by the designer in her shop where I purchased the stones. So, I am expecting a very nice setting job or a replacement.
1.gif
One advantage to using the same shop as where you purchased the stones.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/25/2009 10:57:26 PM

2.gif

Yeah, it happens pretty often. They are generally pretty tiny, and appear to be a nick from a setting tool, like a very tiny gouge. This jeweler is pretty inexpensive, but expensive apparently doesn''t protect you. Now I just skip louping the stones. Well, I did finally loupe my latest ring, and no chips visible. So, it doesn''t always happen.

My RH amethysts are being set by the designer in her shop where I purchased the stones. So, I am expecting a very nice setting job or a replacement.
1.gif
Oh, you didn''t buy your briolettes directly from Richard? Hopefully, you won''t have a problem with setting them.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2009 11:04:40 PM

2.gif

1.gif
Oh, you didn''t buy your briolettes directly from Richard? Hopefully, you won''t have a problem with setting them.
Richard was there in person, but I purchased the briolettes during a round table that was hosted by a local designer/jeweler. I wrote the check out to the shop. This jeweler works with colored stones all the time. She told me she hasn''t worked with the particular transverse drilled tops that Richard has on his briolettes, but that she is going to practice on some stones of her own first!
2.gif
I''m sure they will be fine, but knowing she stands behind her work and the stones is added comfort.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/25/2009 11:12:21 PM

Date: 6/25/2009 11:04:40 PM

2.gif

1.gif
Richard was there in person, but I purchased the briolettes during a round table that was hosted by a local designer/jeweler. I wrote the check out to the shop. This jeweler works with colored stones all the time. She told me she hasn''t worked with the particular transverse drilled tops that Richard has on his briolettes, but that she is going to practice on some stones of her own first!
2.gif
I''m sure they will be fine, but knowing she stands behind her work and the stones is added comfort.
Oh I see. I remember your post and you talking about the roundtable. (I would love to go to one. Too bad they are never around here) At least she is practicing on other stones first. I wish I knew who to send future colored stones to. I think I will be gun shy now. Richard Wise has my spessartite to do a setting for and I sure hope that one comes back unscathed!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cind,
I was just wondering since it''s too messy to recut, how about just repolishing the nick? I don''t think it''ll affect the rest of the facets, would it?

Ryon

Shiny_Rock

7.gif
I think this is the most logical explanation!

You can''t actually prove that anyone damaged the stone and as long as the chip isn''t noticable to the naked eye there shouldn''t be to big of a problem.
Just be happy you got a nice stone, and a nice setting!
Congrats!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh no! You know I think that's why so many of the jewelers on here won't deal iwth setting gemstones. They are much easier to chip. It was nice of Brian to try to work something out with Gene, though, especially as he didn't un-set and re-set the stone, and just changed the head to the new shank (and it was unchipped last time you saw it in that head). Even with diamonds jewelers won't take responsibility for setting stones not purchased by them.

For me the most upsetting thing about Ellen's incident with Leon was that he didn't even try to offer any assistance or anything and was belligerent about the incident. At least Brian was definitey trying to come up with a solution with you and wanted to try to help you find a solution that would make you happy.

I had a hard time finding someone to set my citrine, the first two jewelers pretty much guaranteed they'd crack my stone. Even the one that did set it set the prongs wonky, and when I asked them to adjust them they said they didn't want to mess with it because they were afraid of cracking it.
7.gif
((HUGS))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is always an element of risk in setting diamonds and coloured gemstones but it can be minimized by having an experienced benchperson handle the work. Once I've found someone who can do it confidently, I stick to him/her. It doesn't mean that there won't ever be damage but at least the chance of that is much slimmer.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2009 11:57:19 PM
There is always an element of risk in setting diamonds and coloured gemstones but it can be minimized by having an experienced benchperson handle the work. Once I've found someone who can do it confidently, I stick to him/her. It doesn't mean that there won't ever be damage but at least the chance of that is much slimmer.
This is true, but Chrono, it doesn't sound like the stone was damaged when it was set in Mochi's case. Mochi saw it after the setting, and Brian didn't unset it just changed the head.

Cindi, did it drop at anytime? I chipped one of my stones last week just droping it on the granite counter top. I'm really sorry the stone isn't mind clean for you and that it's chipped. Can it be polished?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right, and it seems like it wasn't damaged in transit either since the packaging was snug and everything was in place when Cind opened it.

I'm surprised Gene did not mention anything about repolishing the stone. Does that mean it's not doable?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2009 12:04:07 AM
Right, and it seems like it wasn''t damaged in transit either since the packaging was snug and everything was in place when Cind opened it.
Very true. I''ve seen BGD''s packaging for their shipments. It''s awe-inspiring. Truly aweinspiring.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I am sorry this happened. I know it is hard.

When I first got my spess, my cat bumped me while I was unwrapping, I was not expecting the paper to be so slippery (and probably was not handling it right), and if flew out of the paper, into the air, and on to my (fake) wood floor. I stood there with my mouth open in shock. Picked it up an looped it. I saw a small dent in the facet, and although it was my first time seeing the stone, I knew it was from what I did. I was devastated for days.

But I have never seen it without trying to look for it, and I am hoping I can get it polished out when I set it. I am over it now, and I know it won''t be the last dent that stone gets.

My point is to give it some time. If it is not noticeable with the eye, you will start to see the stone more than the chip and to over time you will forget it was there. I forgot about mine until I saw this thread and I look at my stone almost daily.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/25/2009 11:27:45 PM
Cind,
I was just wondering since it''s too messy to recut, how about just repolishing the nick? I don''t think it''ll affect the rest of the facets, would it?
No, Gene said it can''t be polished. He said people think that''s really easy but it isn''t.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/25/2009 11:28:00 PM
Author: Ryon

7.gif
I think this is the most logical explanation!

You can''t actually prove that anyone damaged the stone and as long as the chip isn''t noticable to the naked eye there shouldn''t be to big of a problem.
Just be happy you got a nice stone, and a nice setting!
Congrats!
Thanks!

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/25/2009 11:42:47 PM
Author: Gypsy
Oh no! You know I think that''s why so many of the jewelers on here won''t deal iwth setting gemstones. They are much easier to chip. It was nice of Brian to try to work something out with Gene, though, especially as he didn''t un-set and re-set the stone, and just changed the head to the new shank (and it was unchipped last time you saw it in that head). Even with diamonds jewelers won''t take responsibility for setting stones not purchased by them.

For me the most upsetting thing about Ellen''s incident with Leon was that he didn''t even try to offer any assistance or anything and was belligerent about the incident. At least Brian was definitey trying to come up with a solution with you and wanted to try to help you find a solution that would make you happy.

I had a hard time finding someone to set my citrine, the first two jewelers pretty much guaranteed they''d crack my stone. Even the one that did set it set the prongs wonky, and when I asked them to adjust them they said they didn''t want to mess with it because they were afraid of cracking it.
7.gif
((HUGS))
Yes, Brian has been nice about it. I know things happen but I wish it hadn''t been my stone. Thinking about Ellen''s incident with Leon has made me really think twice about using him. I had him in mind for a future project but probably won''t use him now. I can''t deal with attitude. Thanks Gypsy.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/26/2009 12:02:54 AM
Author: Gypsy

Date: 6/25/2009 11:57:19 PM
There is always an element of risk in setting diamonds and coloured gemstones but it can be minimized by having an experienced benchperson handle the work. Once I''ve found someone who can do it confidently, I stick to him/her. It doesn''t mean that there won''t ever be damage but at least the chance of that is much slimmer.
This is true, but Chrono, it doesn''t sound like the stone was damaged when it was set in Mochi''s case. Mochi saw it after the setting, and Brian didn''t unset it just changed the head.

Cindi, did it drop at anytime? I chipped one of my stones last week just droping it on the granite counter top. I''m really sorry the stone isn''t mind clean for you and that it''s chipped. Can it be polished?
No, I never dropped it. I almost wish I had because then at least I would have been mad at myself and had an explanation for it. No, Gene said it can''t be polished.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/26/2009 12:04:07 AM
Right, and it seems like it wasn''t damaged in transit either since the packaging was snug and everything was in place when Cind opened it.

I''m surprised Gene did not mention anything about repolishing the stone. Does that mean it''s not doable?
He brought up polishing and said it''s not feasible.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/26/2009 1:08:21 AM
Author: LtlFirecracker
I am sorry this happened. I know it is hard.

When I first got my spess, my cat bumped me while I was unwrapping, I was not expecting the paper to be so slippery (and probably was not handling it right), and if flew out of the paper, into the air, and on to my (fake) wood floor. I stood there with my mouth open in shock. Picked it up an looped it. I saw a small dent in the facet, and although it was my first time seeing the stone, I knew it was from what I did. I was devastated for days.

But I have never seen it without trying to look for it, and I am hoping I can get it polished out when I set it. I am over it now, and I know it won''t be the last dent that stone gets.

My point is to give it some time. If it is not noticeable with the eye, you will start to see the stone more than the chip and to over time you will forget it was there. I forgot about mine until I saw this thread and I look at my stone almost daily.
Those darn cats do get in the way, don''t they? I am sure I will get over this. I wish I knew who to use for settings who perhaps sets a lot of colored stones as opposed to setting mostly diamonds.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I think you just have to ask the right questions. When I had my tsavorite set, and asked for it to be set low, the bench-man said he would try, but wouldn''t do it if it put the stone at risk. I told him that was fine, I didn''t want the stone to be put at risk. But it might not have happened during the setting process, garnets are softer stones, and a bump against a hard surface by accident could do it

....or it could have been a cat, they seem to think they can eat gem stones
27.gif

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry to hear this Cind, but your pink pretty is still BEAUTIFUL!

Lori

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That really stinks that this happened to you. I have never had a gemstone set as I have always just had who ever I ordered the ring from set it in a setting that they have. If you can''t see it with the naked eye I would not worry about it all. No one else (except us) will know about the chip and it will still be beautiful!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results