shape
carat
color
clarity

I SO have control issues! Oh and setting help please! (long)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
So for our one-year anniversary, BF wanted to know what I wanted (he's practical and would rather have me give him some choices, at the risk of me not liking what he gets me!). So I told him that I wanted him to get me a pretty blue gemstone, that I'll later set into a ring or pendant. That way, I get to retain control over the setting (and the piece) but he provides the heart of the end product - the beautiful stone. All well and good so far.

Then I start reading here about windows, about poorly cut gems, about how lower-quality aquas might have a grayish tone, how sapphires are radiated, etc. So I decided (!!) that I couldn't throw the poor BF into this shark tank of possible poor quality stones! (And he's really busy with work so he can't really come to PS and ask) so I e-mailed Richard Homer. Gave him preferences, and a projected budget, and I know he'll find something wonderful for me. But ack! I need to not be so controlling about this stuff
3.gif
But either way I'm going to forward the e-mails between me and Richard to BF and let him take it from there
9.gif
Well...except the setting!

Any suggestions for what would look best for a medium blue stone, cushion, about 1 ct.? This would be a RHR. Unfortunately, I love both halos (for RHRs) and very simple, delicate looks, like Harriet's Leon. Help!

And thanks for listening
2.gif

And I will post more info on the stone as it comes in!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/10/2008 10:40:54 AM
Author:Brown.Eyed.Girl
So for our one-year anniversary, BF wanted to know what I wanted (he's practical and would rather have me give him some choices, at the risk of me not liking what he gets me!). So I told him that I wanted him to get me a pretty blue gemstone, that I'll later set into a ring or pendant. That way, I get to retain control over the setting (and the piece) but he provides the heart of the end product - the beautiful stone. All well and good so far.

Then I start reading here about windows, about poorly cut gems, about how lower-quality aquas might have a grayish tone, how sapphires are radiated, etc. So I decided (!!) that I couldn't throw the poor BF into this shark tank of possible poor quality stones! (And he's really busy with work so he can't really come to PS and ask) so I e-mailed Richard Homer. Gave him preferences, and a projected budget, and I know he'll find something wonderful for me. But ack! I need to not be so controlling about this stuff
3.gif
But either way I'm going to forward the e-mails between me and Richard to BF and let him take it from there
9.gif
Well...except the setting!

Any suggestions for what would look best for a medium blue stone, cushion, about 1 ct.? This would be a RHR. Unfortunately, I love both halos (for RHRs) and very simple, delicate looks, like Harriet's Leon. Help!

And thanks for listening
2.gif

And I will post more info on the stone as it comes in!

OH this is so very exciting! We love BLUE BLING!

It would probably be best to get the stone sorted first. In the meantime, hang out here for a while, there are a LOT of pics of gorgeous settings with coloured stones.

Some here love a solitaire type ring, with no sidestones or halo. Some love 3-stones, and some love a bit of bling all the way around. Take your time and ask LOTS of questions.

I can only add from my own experience: I had a very definite idea of what I wanted (or so I thought!): oval 2+ct sapphire with diamond halo. After finally deciding on the stone (round instead!) the setting design changed drastically.

Also, bear in mind that the search can take some time. It's not like "ordering up" a standard 1ct RB, G-colour, VVS1, eyeclean etc..... Once I got very serious about the sapphire, it took another 2-3 months to find the one and finalize a decision to purchase.

But it sure is fun to go through the process! So welcome here and enjoy the stay. There are many experts here to offer advice and suggestions as to where to locate the perfect stone *for you*. We're all so different, as is each coloured stone.

LS

ETA: most of us here *seem* to have control issues too!
9.gif
Maybe because we're a bit different!
1.gif
1.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Don''t worry, DH offered to buy me jewellery as a wedding gift. I talked to Richard Homer about sourcing them from Tucson, designed the setting, controlled every detail and sent DH the bill.

He was very pleased with his choice of gift for me when it arrived!
27.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/10/2008 2:34:18 PM
Author: Pandora II
Don''t worry, DH offered to buy me jewellery as a wedding gift. I talked to Richard Homer about sourcing them from Tucson, designed the setting, controlled every detail and sent DH the bill.

He was very pleased with his choice of gift for me when it arrived!
27.gif
Hee hee! Sounds about like what I do with DH. He''s always quite happy with his choice of gifts as well, LOL!!!

B.E.G - Sounds like a really fun project.
1.gif
Definitely wait until you have the stone, and then decide what to do with it. Everyone on here has rather eclectic taste, LOL. And as LS pointed out, most of us have control issues of one kind or another! You''re not alone!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
It''s not control issues. Its about taste, time, interest, etc. I have been preshopping for DH for some years now. My jeweler has a list of pieces that he knows I would like. All DH has to do is call, give credit card number, and shopping is done!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/10/2008 9:12:30 PM
Author: Fly Girl
It''s not control issues. Its about taste, time, interest, etc. I have been preshopping for DH for some years now. My jeweler has a list of pieces that he knows I would like. All DH has to do is call, give credit card number, and shopping is done!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Works for me!!
2.gif

LS

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I'm chatting with the BF about the whole situation
2.gif
I might turn it over to him once I figure out which stone I want to have cut - Jeff White says he has a lovely darker aqua that might be great for what I want! Yay! I'm a little torn on settings since I don't want it to cost waaay more than the stone (which will be $500 or less), but I still want it to look nice. Also, I love simple lines (like Leon's classic, non-pave settings) but don't want anything that would be the same as any style I would eventually want for an engagement ring (i.e. Leon's classic, non-pave settings), lol. Decisions, decisions.

I will post updates soon!

And thank you all - I'm glad you guys are the same as I am with our jewelry purchases!
9.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A nice dark aqua sounds gorgeous. I can''t wait to see what you get. We pretty much buy our own presents.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, so I had in mind a cushion, but now I''m torn on whether I want something more like an Asscher or radiant. I think those two cuts make stones like aquas and sapphires look amaaaazing...but I do want something like Leon''s classic, low-set basket with claws, and for that type of setting, I picture something a little more "old-timey" like cushions. Versus a simple Vatche x-prong, that would look better with a more modern, squarish cut (which is the other setting option in my mind). I can''t decide!

I''m basically designing my inverse-engagement ring, with cuts and settings I love but I know I don''t want for an eventual e-ring. It''s lots of fun but so hard!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Sigh, the worst part is the at least 13 hour time difference between here and the US. I''m all ready to get moving!!! And everyone''s asleep
7.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/10/2008 11:26:44 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
I''m chatting with the BF about the whole situation
2.gif
I might turn it over to him once I figure out which stone I want to have cut - Jeff White says he has a lovely darker aqua that might be great for what I want! Yay! I''m a little torn on settings since I don''t want it to cost waaay more than the stone (which will be $500 or less), but I still want it to look nice. Also, I love simple lines (like Leon''s classic, non-pave settings) but don''t want anything that would be the same as any style I would eventually want for an engagement ring (i.e. Leon''s classic, non-pave settings), lol. Decisions, decisions.

And thank you all - I''m glad you guys are the same as I am with our jewelry purchases!
9.gif
Hi BEG, love your project!
5.gif

Just a heads up, and a thought. A Leon in the simple, classic solitaire ran me 1625.00 a few months ago for my Aqua, so it will most likely be at least that, if not more.

Also, if you are wanting that style for your Ering, and want something different for this (which I understand), I''d entertain the option of haloing it, maybe getting some small side stones to go with, or getting it set on a pave band. Some of these options will most likely run you more money though.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know what you would be looking at pricewise for a Leon. I can''t wait to see what you end up with, I know it will be gorgeous!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/11/2008 10:27:56 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 8/10/2008 11:26:44 PM
I''m chatting with the BF about the whole situation
2.gif
I might turn it over to him once I figure out which stone I want to have cut - Jeff White says he has a lovely darker aqua that might be great for what I want! Yay! I''m a little torn on settings since I don''t want it to cost waaay more than the stone (which will be $500 or less), but I still want it to look nice. Also, I love simple lines (like Leon''s classic, non-pave settings) but don''t want anything that would be the same as any style I would eventually want for an engagement ring (i.e. Leon''s classic, non-pave settings), lol. Decisions, decisions.

And thank you all - I''m glad you guys are the same as I am with our jewelry purchases!
9.gif
Hi BEG, love your project!
5.gif

Just a heads up, and a thought. A Leon in the simple, classic solitaire ran me 1625.00 a few months ago for my Aqua, so it will most likely be at least that, if not more.

Also, if you are wanting that style for your Ering, and want something different for this (which I understand), I''d entertain the option of haloing it, maybe getting some small side stones to go with, or getting it set on a pave band. Some of these options will most likely run you more money though.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know what you would be looking at pricewise for a Leon. I can''t wait to see what you end up with, I know it will be gorgeous!

That is good to know Ellen!

I can''t wait to see what you end up with too!!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Hi ladies! Thanks Ellen for the heads-up on Leon''s prices. I knew it would be out of my price range for this project, but still too bad! But I''m looking at some other options, including a halo. Update-wise, Richard got back to me early this morning (my time) - this probably belongs on the Crackberry thread in Hang-out, but I saw on my phone (NOT a crackberry though) that I had an e-mail from him, and staggered out of bed at 5:30 to answer it! Richard found me a gorgeous sapphire which I got the pictures to a few hours ago. I''m confirming stuff with the BF since it''s his checkbook, but it looks like I have found a stone
1.gif

I''ll post more details and pictures later! And we can start the setting search in earnest
9.gif
36.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/11/2008 10:18:30 PM
Hi ladies! Thanks Ellen for the heads-up on Leon''s prices. I knew it would be out of my price range for this project, but still too bad! But I''m looking at some other options, including a halo. Update-wise, Richard got back to me early this morning (my time) - this probably belongs on the Crackberry thread in Hang-out, but I saw on my phone (NOT a crackberry though) that I had an e-mail from him, and staggered out of bed at 5:30 to answer it! Richard found me a gorgeous sapphire which I got the pictures to a few hours ago. I''m confirming stuff with the BF since it''s his checkbook, but it looks like I have found a stone
1.gif

I''ll post more details and pictures later! And we can start the setting search in earnest
9.gif
36.gif
Eagerly awaiting pictures! Sounds wonderful!!!
36.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
The sapphire! Just waiting on final price w/ shipping and insurance from Richard. Sadly it''ll be shipped to BF in NY so I won''t get to see it for 2 more weeks
8.gif

Now I know I''m sounding completely flaky with settings, but with the concave cut, I''m wondering if something very simple, like WF''s sleek line solitaire, might suit it better?

6161BSapph.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2008 2:37:11 AM
The sapphire! Just waiting on final price w/ shipping and insurance from Richard. Sadly it''ll be shipped to BF in NY so I won''t get to see it for 2 more weeks
8.gif

Now I know I''m sounding completely flaky with settings, but with the concave cut, I''m wondering if something very simple, like WF''s sleek line solitaire, might suit it better?
I think a simple setting works well when you have a great cut stone. The thin, tapered shank would definitely set the stone off. And it''s not terribly expensive, so you could always set it in that now, and see if that''s the way to go. If you decide you don''t like it, you can always save for a jazzier setting down the road.

Pretty stone!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Ellen! And good advice as always! I will probably go with the WF Sleek or Fine Line - I like the symplicity of the sleek line but the stone is a little more greenish on the side versus the blue-violet it is on top, so I''m wondering if the Fine Line with the basket would be better.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2008 11:15:39 AM
Thanks Ellen! And good advice as always! I will probably go with the WF Sleek or Fine Line - I like the symplicity of the sleek line but the stone is a little more greenish on the side versus the blue-violet it is on top, so I''m wondering if the Fine Line with the basket would be better.
Well, I think it''s all a matter of preference, and what you like/would like others to see. If you like seeing the different shades, go with the Fine, if you''d rather not, go with the other. No right or wrong here!

And you are very welcome.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Happy first! My anniversary is tomorrow! My dH wants to get me some type of gemstone item too.
I am tempted to do what your doing but I think he wants to pick something himself which will probably be local.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2008 11:25:27 PM
Author: innerkitten
Happy first! My anniversary is tomorrow! My dH wants to get me some type of gemstone item too.

I am tempted to do what your doing but I think he wants to pick something himself which will probably be local.

Thank you! And Happy Anniversary!

I was originally sending BF e-mails with links to natural sapphire company, and some other sites, but I had a lot more free time than he did, and realized it was kind of hard to figure out which were good stones, and which ones had cuts that were a little funky, and he would have no clue. So I was just going to see if Richard Homer or Jeff White had something in the color, stone and budget range, and then let BF take over...and then Richard got back to me with the stone I''m going with, so it kind of spiraled out of his control
2.gif

Maybe hint to your husband to send a couple e-mails along to some well-known on PS gem-cutters...?
9.gif

You''ll have to come back and show us what you get for your anniversary!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2008 11:31:56 AM
Author: Ellen
Date: 8/12/2008 11:15:39 AM

Well, I think it''s all a matter of preference, and what you like/would like others to see. If you like seeing the different shades, go with the Fine, if you''d rather not, go with the other. No right or wrong here!

And you are very welcome.

I''m not sure yet. I might end up going with the Legato. I really am kind of flaky on the setting since I like all three of the WF ones, so we''ll see! I''ll probably make a spur-of-the-moment decision
3.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 2:23:36 AM
Shoot, I like the WF designs, but I like the idea of a halo too. What do you guys think about this?

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Mountings/Rings/Pave/stoneid=JS108W18

I''ve e-mailed to see if they sell their settings separately, but if any of you ladies know whether or not they do, please let me know!

it''s so pretty...
I can''t attest to all of their settings, but I know they do sell some (if not all) seperately, as I enquired about them when I was searching for my Aqua.

Both the settings you linked are pretty, all you can do is ask the price!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results