I should have known better - set BB supernova pink tourmaline at Intergem :(

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
and another of the basket (and chip)

IMG_2107-1.JPG

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
30.gif
make it stop make it stop! Would it be weird to only buy supernovas from now on? Seriously.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/22/2010 4:34:00 PM
Author: IndyLady

But, after seeing pictures of the chip, I can't help but fall in love with it. I really, really like the open cutlet. I love OEC's and chunky cuts, and the high crown makes it all really fit together. I really do prefer it....
This was precisely my reaction when I heard of it last night, too. I actually prefer it that way and think it improves the character of the cut.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand the heartache of damage to a wonderful stone but you cannot ask for a better spot; it gives the impression of an old cut style large culet which I really like.
4.gif

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Aw man, I''m sorry about that, but you are right, this can happen at ANY jeweler, so don''t beat yourself up re the Intergem decision.

I think the setting is very beautiful and it looks splendid on you! What is not to be happy?!!?!?!?!!?

I wouldn''t do a thing to it, its a showstopper on you, why tinker any more?

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
I love it as is! Gorgeous!
30.gif
I would leave it alone.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Cell, I think you may have accidentally started a new trend!
9.gif

I am sorry your stone got chipped, but like many others I am loving the open culet for the reasons mentioned, and I do hope that Barry takes all these opinions under considerations and starts cutting some this way!

It is a fabulous colour stone and a really lovely pendant, I can see why you chose it and it looks beautiful on
30.gif

Here''s hoping for a speedy and safe trip for the stone to be removed and re-polished.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m sorry it got chipped but I have to say I love it as is! The setting is gorgeous and it looks wonderful on your neck.

stci

Ideal_Rock
OMG! How beautiful! Simply gorgeous! You wear it like a queen! I love love love the setting!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/22/2010 12:32:00 PM
Author: cellentani
The stone''s 7.7 x 10mm, and has nice presence - I''ll be wearing this a lot!
Hi Cell!
35.gif

WOW....a lovely pendant on a beautiful lady! Sorry it was chipped, but the stone is still amazing!

Lori

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
After the chip is polished out it''s going to be gorgeous. I really love its colour and size.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It i s really pretty on its own and on you:)

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Wow, this could have not turned out any better - I'm thrilled you all like the pendant, and I'm in love with it even more now! I emailed Barry yesterday that based on all the feedback, he might start getting some requests for more antique cuts, lol. Thanks everyone for your great comments - they all brightened my day and mood!

ETA: I forgot to mention that the vendor was decent about making amends - he offered to take the stone back to his shop and recut/repolish, but I would much rather have the original cutter (who has done many, many supernovas) work on it, so he offered a partial refund of the setting cost.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
It''s a great setting and the pendant looks beautiful even with a chip!

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
This is what I would call a happy accident! I love the culet, I like it better with than without, by a long way (and it was a very beautiful stone to begin with).

The setting is exquisite and it really suits you. It''s a beautiful thing, and if it was mine, I''d be very, very thrilled by it! I hope you can get over your understandable upset at the damage to such a fine stone and embrace this new incarnation!

Jen

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is a seriously beautiful gem - the cut is amazing! And yeah I hate to say it but I think I prefer the culet! It makes it look vintage - I love it!!! It was beautiful before and is beautiful now... but it''s just got a bit of extra something now - whodathunk? huh? I don''t know if I''d have that facet polished off though - I''d probably leave it as is... I can''t wait to see what it looks like anyway though :)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bet he doesn''t start cutting them like this - but ANY stone can just have the tip polished off... so it''s always an option :)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
that stone is so beautiful it makes me rethink pink!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Mrs. Mitchel, "happy accident" is a great way to put it! I''m over the heartache, loving the open culet, and got a great deal on the setting!
1.gif

cehrabehra, why wouldn''t you have the facet polished? Would you be afraid of making the culet even larger? I''ve asked Barry about that very thing, because I wouldn''t want it any bigger either.

Rockit

Shiny_Rock
I understand your distress at first sight of the damage, I would have felt sick had something like this happened to me (er... it has, so I know how you felt!). However, I am glad to hear you are embracing your beauty as is. I love everything about this gem... the open culet makes this exquisite stone even more charming. I agree though, if it were mine, I think I''d want to consult with BB regarding how to proceed regarding polishing options.

Any way you cut it, this is a lovely piece.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/23/2010 3:35:19 PM
Author: cellentani
Mrs. Mitchel, ''happy accident'' is a great way to put it! I''m over the heartache, loving the open culet, and got a great deal on the setting!
1.gif

cehrabehra, why wouldn''t you have the facet polished? Would you be afraid of making the culet even larger? I''ve asked Barry about that very thing, because I wouldn''t want it any bigger either.

Not at all - the culet could be a bit larger before it started going down in my opinion of it... the answer to why wouldn''t I? Because I guess - why bother? It looks fantastic - why risk anything taking it out of the setting, putting it on the grindstone, putting it back in the setting, the costs and risks associated with shipping? If it''s irregular you can''t tell in the closeups... it certainly isn''t going to detract from the living version :)

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Love.

Love, love, LOVE it!!!

That setting is gorgeous, and I''m loving the look of the open culet with the chunky supernova! Can''t wait to see it in person at some point!
31.gif
27.gif
9.gif

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
OOHHHHHH NICE!!!
I REALLY like the open cutlet!
36.gif
and love that setting--well done!
I hope he starts to cut stuff with an open cutlet
31.gif

35.gif
35.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m in the "I love the open culet" camp! Wow, I''m about ready to email Barry to cut one of those for me!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results