shape
carat
color
clarity

I saw the oddest GIA report today

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a certificate for a .56 carat pink radiant cut diamond. All it says is that the diamond is a natural pink and that the color saturation is even. It did not say a word about clarity, symmetry or polish. The salesperson said that there was no other report for the stone, and she seemed puzzled by the lack of information on the certificate. I am wondering whether it was because the diamond was under 1 carat. The GIA report for my yellow diamond has all the vital statistics - what''s up with the GIA and pink diamonds??

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
http://www.gia.edu/gemtradelab/31505/services.cfm#the_gia_colored_diamond_grading_report

Colored Diamond Identification and Origin Report
Both mounted and loose diamonds can be submitted for this service, which determines the nature of a diamond’s color, as well as its color grade. Using a controlled viewing and lighting environment and an elaborate set of color comparators, trained graders can consistently locate the characteristic color of a diamond and assign it a grade. The hue chosen is modified by a “Fancy-grade” term, such as Fancy Light, Fancy, Fancy Intense, Fancy Deep, Fancy Vivid, or Fancy Dark, which describes the range of the combined effect of tone and saturation. A clarity grade is not included with this report.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
That''s just a basic report to verify the intensity of the color and that it is natural. Many dealers don''t want to spend a fortune on authenticating a half carat pink (GIA is expensiveeeeeeeeeee).

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the info - I guessed correctly that the size of the stone was probably a factor.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
There are other factors too.

The clarity grade of a fancy color isn''t considered as crucial to the stone''s value. I don''t think a dealer would get a color origin report only for an IF stone. But if the clarity isn''t stated, on the report, it could be an I-2.

Also since many fancy color diamonds have shallow crowns, below 30 degrees ( done to maximize the face up color ) they don''t want it listed under the "comment" section of the report, which is would be.

GIA gives them the option of the type of report they want.

1. Full report
2. Dossier Report ( under 1.00 carat )
3. Color Origin report

Rockdoc

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, RockDoc.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results