shape
carat
color
clarity

I saw a Big. Ugly. Diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Unearthed

Shiny_Rock
At work we have large spot lighting which creates the most beautiful setting to look at people''s diamonds...they just absolutely light up with fire and brilliance. Well, today I saw the best example of a dumpy cut and a big diamond ever. This is had to have been 2ct, it was set high and just looked huge. Like a big huge dull whitish rock.

Ewwww.

Not sure what the point of this post was, but I have never seen such an example of what this forum tries to steer people away from.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Frozen spit...it happens. It''s a shame when people want to go so large they are willing to sacrifice everything beautiful about a diamond.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/27/2007 1:54:25 AM
Author:Unearthed
At work we have large spot lighting which creates the most beautiful setting to look at people''s diamonds...they just absolutely light up with fire and brilliance. Well, today I saw the best example of a dumpy cut and a big diamond ever. This is had to have been 2ct, it was set high and just looked huge. Like a big huge dull whitish rock.

Ewwww.

Not sure what the point of this post was, but I have never seen such an example of what this forum tries to steer people away from.
Unfortunately nothing can help that type of rock, but maybe it''s owner was in love with it and was proud to wear it...It was probably a shocking cut and very included to maybe industrial grade and not gem quality.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I never understood the poitn of going large in a poor cut. The large size just emphasizes the bad cut.

I would take a modest size in a great cut anyday over big yukky cut.

I''m sure that stone was highly included as well to make it look that bad.

emilina22

Brilliant_Rock
ive known someone went that route and got close to a 2ct stone but the quality was scary!! eventually she moved on to downgrade in size and upgrade in color...and now she owns like 3 sets but i have a funny feeling they may be cz sets since she works at a high end retail store which sells cz wedding sets.....

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
Keep in mind that many people who don''t have much experience with diamonds just "don''t see" the quality issues. All they see is the size, because that''s all they''ve been conditioned to think about. So they''re probably looking at your ring and thinking, "Oh wow, I feel bad for her with such a small diamond."

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2007 9:00:54 AM
Author: asscherisme
I never understood the poitn of going large in a poor cut. The large size just emphasizes the bad cut.

I would take a modest size in a great cut anyday over big yukky cut.

I''m sure that stone was highly included as well to make it look that bad.
I don''t know what you consider modest (around these parts I''ve seen 2.5 carts called small!!) but I would probably rather have a moderately cut (NOT poorly cut) 1/2 carat than a superbly cut 1/4 carat. In fact up to about 3/4 carat I''d probably give up some on cut for size for an e-ring.

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
Like this beauty
38.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-03-ct-H-I2-Round-Diamond-Engagement-Solitaire-Ring_W0QQitemZ180093820897QQcategoryZ67726QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem#dgimg

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
or this one.... ok ending ugly diamond hunt!

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-54-ct-H-I1-Oval-Diamond-Engagement-Solitaire-Ring_W0QQitemZ180093820881QQcategoryZ67726QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
eeeew! JHK, those are vomit-inducing. i consider myself lucky never to have seen such a large yet disgusting stone in person.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh I have seen some nasty frozen spit around here. It seems that people here in WI aren''t interested in big stones...except the people that can''t really afford them. Thus, there are many many frozen spit 1.5-2 carat diamonds walking around the malls here...YUCK!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
YIKES! I''ve only ever seen one diamond that ugly in real life, but thankfully it wasn''t that big...UGH!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Yeah... there is a person I work with occasionally who has a big, but not-very-attractive-AT-ALL diamond solitaire. It looks about like a 2+ carater, but that is ALL the poor thing has going for it. It is literally MILKY WHITE, and just sits there. Dead.
14.gif
Dull.
14.gif
I have never seen the stone do anything even vaguely resembling a *sparkle*.

Sometimes I wonder if cleaning it would help??? Maybe it's a poor cut, or maybe it has 2 years of soap scum and hand lotion build-up???!
23.gif

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Did anyone else notice the certification came from UGL. Is that real or does it just stand for ugly diamond? Seriously!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2007 8:53:58 PM
Author: Lynn B
Yeah... there is a person I work with occasionally who has a big, but not-very-attractive-AT-ALL diamond solitaire. It looks about like a 2+ carater, but that is ALL the poor thing has going for it. It is literally MILKY WHITE, and just sits there. Dead.
14.gif
Dull.
14.gif

Sometimes I wonder if cleaning it would help??? Maybe it''s a poor cut, or maybe it has 2 years of soap scum and hand lotion build-up???!
23.gif
Nuh uh. My FMIL''s stunning diamond had, I kid you not, 32 years of soap scum on it and that thing still shone. Perfect cut will find a way. You should have seen that puppy once I cleaned it up.

I confess that I wish that I''d taken her up on the offer of her diamond in a new setting e-ring instead of a new diamond ring combo. Stunning.

Unearthed

Shiny_Rock
14.gif
Dull.
14.gif

Sometimes I wonder if cleaning it would help??? Maybe it''s a poor cut, or maybe it has 2 years of soap scum and hand lotion build-up???!
23.gif

That is exactly what this lady''s diamond looked like.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/28/2007 1:32:29 AM
Author: Gypsy

14.gif
Dull.
14.gif

23.gif
Nuh uh. My FMIL''s stunning diamond had, I kid you not, 32 years of soap scum on it and that thing still shone. Perfect cut will find a way. You should have seen that puppy once I cleaned it up.

I confess that I wish that I''d taken her up on the offer of her diamond in a new setting e-ring instead of a new diamond ring combo. Stunning.
I''ve always wondered how you could tell whether a diamond was poorly cut or just dirty. So a really dirty but well-cut diamond will still sparkle enough to tell that it''s well-cut?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/28/2007 12:21:29 PM
Author: Kim N

Date: 3/28/2007 1:32:29 AM
Author: Gypsy

14.gif
Dull.
14.gif

23.gif

I''ve always wondered how you could tell whether a diamond was poorly cut or just dirty. So a really dirty but well-cut diamond will still sparkle enough to tell that it''s well-cut?
I think that is true that a well cut diamond will still exhibit some sparkle if dirty. The more diamonds you look at, you get to know which have the great cuts and which don''t, mediocre and poor cuts seem to be far more common than the sock exploders unfortunately!
40.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results