shape
carat
color
clarity

I received my diamond!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kieraandjoe

Rough_Rock
Just wondering if someone with more knowledge on this than I can offer some advice. I recently received the following diamond:
2.00 carat Princess Cut - EGL
Color: F
Clarity: I1
6.91X6.77X5.02
Depth: 72.6%
Table: 67%
Crown: 13%
Pavillion: 56.2%
Girdle: Medium Polished
Polish: VG
Sym: G
Flour: None

First things first, the stone looks GREAT! The color is fantastic, bright white and the brilliance is WAY more than what I expected!! The cut quality is far beyond my expectations. The only problem is, is that being an I1, I can see a couple inclusions under very bright sunlight with the naked eye. They are white and kind of to the side, and so to me they are not terrible, but I started to wonder if I could get a diamond of the same size and great cut but with a little higher clarity level. Here is what I found:

1.69 Carat Princess cut - EGL
Color: J
Clarity: VS1
7.02X6.64
Depth: 69%
Table: 68%
Polish: VG
Sym: VG
Flour: Slight

Could this be a better stone for me? I know a lot of this has to do with personal tolerances and preferences, and I am not a total expert and do NOT have a very picky eye. As my girlfriend says, if it is big and sparkly, it is great! This will have better clarity but worse color, but could the color be helped a little because of the slight flourescence?? My only other worry is that the "sparkle factor" (how is that for a scientific term?) will not be there as much as the first or maybe it will be better? It is rated as an "ideal" cut just like the one that I have so I guess it would be ok. I guess my only worry with the second stone would be the color difference, but hopefully the slight flourescence would take care of some of that. Thanks for any opinions that you might have or advice!!

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
what is your budget and carat and color range?

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
I would stay away from I1 clarity... That''s my personal opionion

kieraandjoe

Rough_Rock
I don''t really have a budget range but I would like to stay about where these are as far as price. As for color, that was kind of my question in the first place. I''m wondering whether the J in the second stone will be tolerable and if the slight flourescence will help out with that a little.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t analyze the diamond angles for you to tell you exactly how well the stone is cut (I''m not THAT good yet). But I can tell you that a well cut stone will face up very white, even if it is a J color. In the case of this diamond, slight flourescence isn''t really going to affect the color of the diamond very much. You need medium to strong flourescence for there to be a real visible difference. But as long as the stone is well cut, and as you say it is an ideal, it should face up very white and you won''t even be able to tell that it''s a J. I would also stay away from the I1 clarity as well.

*M*

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
What was the price for these then... that info is missing.

kieraandjoe

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your opinions!! They are very well received!! any one else?

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
We need to know the price on the diamonds to be able to make other suggestions. My color limit was an H but I have seen some pretty I color stones. Color is a personal preference but definitely I would stay away from I clarity . . . stick to SI1 or maybe a great SI2

kieraandjoe

Rough_Rock
Sorry about that. The prices are right around 5200 to 5500, with the VS1 being a little more than the I1. I looked at some I and J color stones at the local jewelry store, and they looked pretty good, but it was tought to tell how much the quality of the cut was affecting the color. I have a question though, when I compared them to my F color I1, they looked a tiny but more warm, which didn''t really bother me, but they looked darker overall. Is that because of the color, cut, or both?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome
35.gif

Sounds like a good I1 if you can only see the inclusions in sunlight! Are these EGL USA graded? They are said to be the best EGL lab for grading, others are thought by some to be softer such as Europe, Israel, Antwerp etc. So your colour and clarity grades might be lower than graded on the reports, however EGL graded diamonds often carry a lower price tag, so if you want a larger diamond for your budget this may be a consideration. Take the one you pick for an independant appraisal to be sure, also what is the grade setting inclusion that makes the larger diamond an I1? Regarding an Ideal Cut, don't go by labels pinned on a diamond by a vendor to describe it's cut - it is more difficult in Princess cuts but they have to be taken on a case by case basis with proportion, but also use your eyes.

It is doubtful whether slight blue fluorescence will make much difference to a J colour, again it depends, but don't rely on it. Medium might possibly, but to settle the question as to which to choose, I would let your GF decide if you are absolutely set on either of these 2 diamonds. I love a good I1 but not everyone does, how would your GF feel about wearing a diamond that some would consider imperfect as an e-ring? Even though it sounds a good I1, being able to see the inclusions might bug her. Regarding warmth and darkness you see, direct comparison to a J with an F ( depends on apples to apples with the grading reports too) you might well see warmth, darkness could be many reasons, cut,, lighting, background etc.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Personal opinion here. If you like the bright white of the F, I would not go down to a J. It''s much more tinted than an F and fancy cuts show color more than rounds. I wouldn''t go to an I1 unless it was pretty much eye clean (very rare, but they do exist). Of the two I would prefer the first one, but I think you should keep looking if the inclusions bother you or your fiance.

Everyone has different preferences, though, and this is certainly only my opinion.

kieraandjoe

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your input!! I think I will go look at a couple more I-J colors and decide what my eyes will tolerate and what I think looks ok. I am glad that the other one I am considered falls into the ideal cut section of the chart. The cutter that has the stone said that the cut is great and it faces up very bright white (which obviously has to be taken with a grain of salt, but he has been very honest with me about other stones). I am also shopping for something that is a little maybe in the middle (maybe a G-H color with an SI2-VS2 clarity at about the same price point). Does that sound reasonable or would that be priced much higher?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Much higher. You'd be looking around 1 ct for your budget for AGS 0, /maybe/ 1.2-1.3 if GIA g/g or EGL types. But not over 1.5

Bunnifer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/17/2007 1:31:42 PM
Author: JulieN
Much higher. You'd be looking around 1 ct for your budget for AGS 0, /maybe/ 1.2-1.3 if GIA g/g or EGL types. But not over 1.5

DITTO. I am looking for an AGS0 1.5 princess myself with a budet of around $8,000 and I'm having a tough time finding one in the G-H, VS2-(eyeclean)SI2 range. Most are priced around 9-10K.

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
When you go back to look, be sure and get the diamonds out from under the twinkly jewelry store lighting. Go over to an outside window if you can and see what they look like in more regular type lighting.

Jewelry store lighting floods diamonds with excessive light. Even the worst cuts can look good there.
1.gif

kieraandjoe

Rough_Rock
Ok, I went to the jewelry store and looked and decided that the J stones that they had there looking great!! I had them send me the 1.69 J VS1 and it looks incredible! The cut is beautiful and it faces up very white. It is completely eye-clean and looks great! I paid 5400 for it. Does that sound like a good deal?? I am going to have it set now. Thank you everyone for your opinions on this!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!! Sounds like you really did your homework and found out what color and clarity YOU find attractive. That''s what''s important.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results