shape
carat
color
clarity

I need your expert advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sammm

Rough_Rock
First... My story.

Last weekend I went to the mall, (Roosevelt Field Mall in NY) and started my search on an engagement rings. All I knew to ask was, "is it certified" so basically I was clueless. At the end I realized many of them were "certified" but not independently -- and that made me feel a little uncomfortable. This one jewelers gave me the low down on GIA (very helpful) -- the catch, they wanted me to purchase their Verragio ring first and worry about the diamond later -- the ring itself was $3500.

After coming home I did some internet research -- tons of it. So this weekend I went to 47 st (AAAH!) but I knew exactly what I was looking for and what to ask. Which made some jewelers a tad bit edgey (is that right spelling?).

After a recommendation, I stopped over David S. Diamonds. Who I was told was reputable (some people tried selling me diamonds with photocopy GIA reports... errr I wasn't born yesterday!).

DSD gave me a 1 hr lecture on diamonds (which was very helpful). He showed me some nice rocks (around $5500-6600 range). I told him I'm looking for something around $3000. So he showed me the following:

GIA Report:

July 22, 2002
Shape and Cutting Style Round Brilliant
Measurements: 6.50 - 6.57x3.97 mm
Weight 1.03 carat
Proportions
Depth 60.7%
Table 60 %
Girdle Medium to slightly thick, Facted
Culet none
Finish
Polish Very Good
Symmetry Very Good
Clarity VS1
Color grade J
Fluorescence Medium Blue

There's a one slight needle mark on the top but it can't be seen. And it's a European cut (not quite ideal).

I was concerned mostly about the Fluorescence and the Girdle .... the color J was lower than what I would have wanted but it was not noticable (I looking in the GHI range).

He told me concerning the Blue, that in the natural light the actual color is enhanced to H.

Now the price...

$3580

What do you guys think from the limited info I provided?

Thanks,
Sam

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would drop the clarity and up the color.
The blue will improve the color, but only in some lighting conditions.

But tell me why you would go shopping like this without any aids or focus on cut?

scaasi

Rough_Rock
Absolutely,

You can definately find an H/I SI1/SI2 for that price.
Keep looking and let me know if I can help further.

Isaac
:appl:

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 10/6/2002 12:35:28 AM

GIA Report:

July 22, 2002
Shape and Cutting Style Round Brilliant
Measurements: 6.50 - 6.57x3.97 mm
Weight 1.03 carat
Proportions
Depth 60.7%
Table 60 %
Girdle Medium to slightly thick, Facted
Culet none
Finish
Polish Very Good
Symmetry Very Good
Clarity VS1
Color grade J
Fluorescence Medium Blue

There's a one slight needle mark on the top but it can't be seen. And it's a European cut (not quite ideal).

----------------

Are you referring to Old European cut? If so, the depth & table are not consistent w/ this cut. On OEC's the table is smaller & the depth deeper.

Sammm

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 10/6/2002 5:15:14 AM

I would drop the clarity and up the color.
The blue will improve the color, but only in some lighting conditions.

But tell me why you would go shopping like this without any aids or focus on cut?
----------------

Hmm... so are you saying it is accepted to have a little blue?

Well the first time I was completely oblivous. I never planned on buying it the first time anyhow. But the second time, I knew a lot more after reading this website.

I would purchase online but I am tad bit hesistant because I do not know which company is reputable and which is not. But when I did comparison to this diamond to ones online, I did not find much of a price difference.

Is it true that prices increase closer to Christmas or this just a way for jewelers to have you buy it then and now?

I am not sure if its OEC, I will call and ask about it.

Thanks for you great advice...

Sam

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
>>>>>Hmm... so are you saying it is accepted to have a little blue?<<<<<

Yes, on a "J" color stone a medium blue fluorescence would be accepted, and even slightly desireable. It helps out a little bit in natural lighting. Not a huge thing, but a little plus.

Rich

jessicarfc75

Rough_Rock
Is it true that prices increase closer to Christmas or this just a way for jewelers to have you buy it then and now?

Most reputable diamond retailers I know do not raise their prices for the holidays...IMHO, that would be a "less than classy" thing to do. Volume increases during the holiday season, so an item you may be interested in may be sold, but I am unaware of standard price increases.:twirl:

Sammm

Rough_Rock
Got a Sarin Report done on the stone:

Diameter 6.51mm

Depth 60.8%
2 Table 60.3%
1 Crown 33.4 degrees / 13.4%
0 Pavilion 41.1 degrees / 42.9%
0 Culet .5%
Girdle 1.9%

Ran it through Cut-Advisor

Using angles for Crown and Pavilion
------------------------------------
Factor Grade
Light Return Excellent
Fire Very Good
Scintillation Very Good
Spread
or diameter for weight Very Good
Total Visual Performance 1.8 - Excellent - within TIC range

Using %'s for Crown and Pavilion
------------------------------------
Factor Grade
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Very Good
Spread
or diameter for weight Very Good
Total Visual Performance 1.1 - Excellent - within TIC range

Again price was $3580

Sam

Sammm

Rough_Rock
Yea, I know. Thanks for the help. I compared prices and it seems reasonable.

Sammm

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results