shape
carat
color
clarity

I need to vent

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Job search dust! I hope you find something you like, soon!

portia

Brilliant_Rock
I''m really sorry to hear about your situation. I''m in a similar situation, but reversed. My hubby has been looking for employment for over a year now. He knew he was losing his job in June 2008 (he had 3 more months of work), but he didn''t look for a new job during that time since he had a good severance package and thought he''d find something pretty quickly. At the time, I really thought he''d land a job quickly as well since I know his accomplishments, however the economy tanked, many were laid off and now there are so many unemployed that it is really difficult to find anything. I''ve run through so many emotions this past year. I''m trying to get beyond it because I know something will turn up eventually, but it''s very frustrating to be the one stuck with 100% of the financial responsibility. I can understand both your and your DH''s feelings of frustration. It''s not fun situation to be in. Hopefully you can find something soon. I definitely think you should do as much networking as possible - so many people I know have found employment that way. Good luck with your search!
1.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Eh, I just typed a huge long list of ideas and then accidently exited out of explorer.

A few quick ideas that I''ll type before going and making dinner:

School bus driver. All the schools by me ALWAYS have signs looking for drivers. The pay starts at $18. . .not sure about number of hours though. . .

Another is look at your county''s library website and see if they''re hiring. The ones by me are always looking for book shelvers. That position pays about $15/hour (and is 10 hours per week) and you just need to know the dewey decimal system.

Both of these were ones I thought of as I''ve been a SAHM for 8+ years w/out job experience, but both meant hiring PT childcare/costing too much.

If I didn''t have kids though both would be excellent alternatives to doing seasonal retail. That would be A LOT of stress. And you said you quit your last job to avoid that!!! You''d be starting all up where you were before.

ts44

Brilliant_Rock
If I may offer another suggestion, look into being a barista. With the corporate chains you get healthcare benefits and with tips the pay isn't half bad. The hours will suck but honestly, it's a fun job and there are opportunities within the corporate structure. For example, I graduated with a degree in classical civilizations. RIGHT. So I started working for a coffee company while I looked for other opportunities. I was promoted within 5 months and at the end of two years I was training new managers. Fortunately after two years an opportunity in a different field opened up to me and I hung up my apron. You just have to be reasonably responsible and personable and you'll do just fine. Oh, and have a reliable alarm clock.
1.gif

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2009 10:25:45 PM
Author: ts44
If I may offer another suggestion, look into being a barista. With the corporate chains you get healthcare benefits and with tips the pay isn''t half bad. The hours will suck but honestly, it''s a fun job and there are opportunities within the corporate structure. For example, I graduated with a degree in classical civilizations. RIGHT. So I started working for a coffee company while I looked for other opportunities. I was promoted within 5 months and at the end of two years I was training new managers. Fortunately after two years an opportunity in a different field opened up to me and I hung up my apron. You just have to be reasonably responsible and personable and you''ll do just fine. Oh, and have a reliable alarm clock.
1.gif

I second this. I worked for Starbucks at one point and everything ts44 has said about benefits, tips, etc goes for that company. I actually quite enjoyed working there while it lasted. Could be worthwhile to look into.

setell

Shiny_Rock

I wish I can offer advice but I am on the verge of deciding if I’ve had enough and call it quits on my job. I am very unhappy here for over a year now and it’s slowly killing me a little bit at a time. Nothing about this job is good. Is things this bad in the US though that even retail/mall jobs are hard to get? I read reports and stats posted but usually those are not a good way to show how things really are at ground zero. I’m debating if I want to pack my bags and see where life will take me. At least lucky for me my FI makes enough where we don’t have to change our spending habits if I am unemployed. I’m banking on the fact that Canada’s recession hasn’t been as bad as the US since there is so many mall jobs open here that most places are short staffed (plus way less big layoffs by the big firms).

My only advice is to keep looking and applying. Never give up hope and think of WHY you quit too. If you hate it the way I do then I’ll say struggling for a big now is well worth it. I can’t put a monetary value on my mental health and physical health as well!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
sending dust your way!!!

museikchik

Shiny_Rock
Good news. I landed a seasonal job at Borders and have an interview scheduled on Tuesday for a leasing consultant position. I am hoping I can do both jobs to help us out with the money situation. I am soo excited. I started work yesterday for orientation and get to do the real stuff today. YEAH!! Just wanted to share with the whole world.

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations!!!
36.gif
36.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
very nice!congrates and good luck!
9.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations, and best wishes!

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on your new job!!! I hope you get the second one too.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
36.gif
Super news
36.gif

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations Museikchik!! While I haven''t been in the exact same situation as you, I did recently quit my job because I hated the environment I was in. It wasn''t a good one at all, and I knew I had made the right decision to quit. I also didn''t have a job lined up either. Sometimes you have to do something like that to save your sanity. Normally it''s not something I''d recommend, but it all worked out okay. I''m so happy for you!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great news!
36.gif
Congratulations!

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congradulations....

When I was long term unemployed in my field... I did lots of temp jobs in many fields. I even did jobs that paid me less than my cost of living (some $ was better than no $).

Perry

museikchik

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the support everyone. I just found out a few days ago that my seasonal position probably will not be turning into steady income. They are cutting hours during the busiest time of the year so I am not anticipating they will keep me on after. On a good note, my other interview went really well. My application was forwarded to the HR department for a background check. Everything should come back okay and hopefully then they will schedule me for a second interview. If that goes well I have one last interview with the main boss who gets final say. I am really hoping this job works out because I don''t know what I am going to do if I get let go from the other one and don''t have another job waiting.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
**dust** for the job interview! Sorry that borders is cutting hours.
15.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results