shape
carat
color
clarity

I need some help to pick a diamond!!!

yunalee825

Rough_Rock
I'm looking for an engagement ring, and I actually went to the wholesale store this weekend, and got some info on this one stone:

$4200
EGL2121407926
Round brilliant
1.02 cts
measurement 6.44- 6.42x 4.00 mm
Color H
Clarity VS2
Excellent Ideal cut
depth 62.2%
table width 57%
crown height 15%
pavilion depth 43%
gridle thickness: Medium to slightly thick, faceted
polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
culet:None
Fluorescence: none

After I got home, I started researching more about EGL and GIA, and many says stick with GIA. Now, I don't know what to do because I thought this stone was good. :confused: I need some feedback from you guys! Should I go back and shop for GIA graded diamonds?

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
I would stick with GIA and AGS graded stones. The stone you looked at would probably be graded as a K SI2 by GIA. If you would like some help sourcing a diamond from an online vendor post your budget and preferences regarding cut, color, carat, and clarity.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cut on this one might not be too bad. The color/clarity would probably be lower if graded by GIA/AGS.

I cant even find an ideal cut GIA/AGS stone in the I/J/K SI1/2/I1 1 carat range for less than $5200ish at JA.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
just keep in mind that EGL tends to grade softer than AGS and GIA, so the color and clarity of this stone maybe be 1-2 grades lower if they were graded by GIA or AGS.

With that in mind, check some comparables...

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Have you seen the stone? If you are comfortable with the color and clarity...then I think you found your stone. What's the return policy of your vendor? You can always purchase and take to a local jeweler / appraiser.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
if the place you saw this diamond carries GIA or AGS diamond you should have them show you the same specs diamonds to compare side by side

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If it scores below 2 on the HCA and you are happy with the look of the diamond. I wouldn't bother with GIA... I know, shocking. But it's true.

What I WOULD DO is find a good independent appraiser (not affiliated in anyway with ANY jewelry store) and take your diamond into them. Get them to gauge color and clarity for you. Then you can come on here and compare price of your diamond against a GIA of the specs the appraiser gives you. Then decide for yourself if you are getting a good deal.

EGL is FINE, as long as you don't depend on it without a good second opinion. You can get a great deal on a diamond through EGL. But I wouldn't buy one without a good appraisal.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results