shape
carat
color
clarity

I need some help concerning an Emerald cut diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Shainie415

Rough_Rock
I'm looking to buy an emerald cut diamond but im so confused as to what is considered a good quality diamond.
I recently got an offer for the following:
Carat: 1.71
Color: I
Clarity: VVS
for the price of $7780
I don't know about the girdle or table. What is considered good quality with that stuff? I know that I do not want a square shape but rather long and skinny-rectangular.
Also, if I care a lot about shine and how it "glitters" is I color too low? What matters more, clarity or color?
I'm just confused-please enlighten me!
Thanks.

Emrldforher

Rough_Rock
Shainie,Glad to see another emerald cut fan! Definitely check out the link Leonid posted for you. A couple of other thoughts.If you like the "long and skinny" look of an emerald cut, remember that they come in a variety of length to width ratios. This factor is personal preference even moreso than any other quality (ie. color, clarity). It sounds like you may want an emerald cut with a ratio of 1.5 or even greater for the "long and skinny" look.As to your I color question, remember that with the emerald cut, color may be more noticeable than in a round. An I color may be fine, but if you want a stone that "faces up" colorless, make sure you look at the diamond in a variety of lighting conditions and compare different colors next to each other to see if you can see the difference.As for clarity, keep in mind that the large table facet of the emerald cut may make it easier to see inclusions, especially inclusions under the table, than it is in rounds. Particularly, in your case you are looking at a pretty large diamond. As Leonid said, you MAY be able to go to VS1 or 2 in clarity and have an eye-clean stone. However, even a VS stone MAY not be eye-clean, especially in the larger emerald cuts.Bottom line, make sure you spend time comparing diamonds and determine what qualities are important to you. Just so you know, I'm just a consumer, but I also purchased an emerald cut for my wife and have been researching diamonds over the past year/year and a half. If I can help anymore, let me know!E

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Emrldforher!
wavey.gif
Thanks for hanging around your post!I'm glad that I didn't suggest SI1
redface.gif
Shainie415, Emrldforher spent a lot of time learning and looking for the Emerald for Her. He is the real expert now. Each time I see a question about emerald shape I wish he'd be around
smile.gif

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Just wanted to add a few cents in here.A emerald cut can go as low as SI1 and not have imperfections that can be seen with your naked eye. You must look at the SI1 stones closely, but you can find them.Just fyi here is a 2.01 carat, H color, SI1 emerald cut(w/GIA Report) that has a 1.3:1 ratio. This diamond is one of those eye clean SI1s.This one I'm making a setting with 2 baguttes on each side going long way(across the ring)and in 18k white gold. Starting to build stock for Christmas already.Sorry for the poor photography, but I'm a jeweler and don't intend on becoming a photographer
smile.gif
201hsi1.jpg
------------------
StevL
www.demsjewelers.com
www.eightstar.com

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Shainie415,I will not go anymore into the price thing. What your eye can see, and what your brain thinks is beautiful I can not tell or even guess at. If you have seen the diamond and you like it, And Have Compared To Know, then you have what you want.Heck, if my wife asked all her friends about me.......... well we wouldn't be married, and thank goodness she doen't have glasses
wink.gif
------------------
StevL
www.demsjewelers.com
www.eightstar.com

Shainie415

Rough_Rock
I dont know what you meant by this:
I want a diamond that is "glittery". I think i care more about the colorful light that shines off of it than white light. Does that make sense and is that good?

Emrldforher

Rough_Rock
Shainie,Steve is giving you good advice and remaining honest. He doesn't want to push the price issue because he has access to a database of diamonds (as does your jeweler) and knows this individual diamond. It wouldn't be fair of him to tell you, "well I can sell this same diamond to you for$XX". So, he is trying to give you the best advice he can. As for cut, he is telling you that a good range of well-cut emeralds is what he posted. However, all fancy shapes really need to be seen to truly determine how well it "sparkles". He is commenting that the range he posted is usually a "safe bet" that it will be well cut.Steve, if I misrepresented your post in any way, please slap me!

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Well, as you know there isn't an Ideal standard for fancies yet. But a very good guideline is
Table from 59.0 to 65%
Total depth from 60.0 to 65%So as you can see the low to mid sixties is pretty darn safe. I realize you can't always find exactly what you want, but you can try
smile.gif
Just to note the one I posted above is 67.8D with a 62% table.I ment to ask is the range meaning ratio? I think thats what you/he means. So it should have a very near outline to the one I posted above, it is 1.29:1.------------------
StevL
www.demsjewelers.com
www.eightstar.com

Shainie415

Rough_Rock
So what youre saying SteveL is that the depth and table of the diamond that im looking at isnt good? or its just not perfect??

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Forget it guys---it happened to Leonid earlier! I saw it.
evilkitty.gif

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Hi E!
wavey.gif

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous diamond Steve! Wish I could get out there to see it.
smile.gif

Emrldforher

Rough_Rock
Shainie,I think I understand what you are saying. Here's the thing. The color grade of the diamond indicates how white or colorless the diamond will look. The "lower" (ie. J, K, L) color grades will look progressively more "yellow" than colorless.When you are referring to "glittery", you are referring to scintillation and/or fire (dispersion). These factors are influenced MUCH more by the quality of the cut than the color grade. A well-cut I color diamond will be more "glittery" than a poorly cut D color diamond.As a final note, you probably know this but realize that emerald cuts will not in general be as "glittery" as round brilliants. That's not to say that well-cut emeralds don't sparkle, but people like them more for their classy elegant appearance. If having a lot of glitter is important and you definitely want an emerald cut, in my opinion you will really want to focus on the cut (see again the link leonid provided you for some guidelines on cut quality).Hope that helps.E

Emrldforher

Rough_Rock
Shainie,One other question. You mentioned you like emerald cuts that are "long and skinny" and "rectangular, not squarish". Have you seen the diamond you are talking here about? As Steve said, I think the "range" you posted is the ltw ratio. If it is 1.29, it will be somewhat squarish like the photo of the diamond Steve posted. That's great if you like that shape. However, if you like longer and skinny, you might not like it.As a side note, my wife's is a little squarish, around 1.35 to 1 and we both love it! Its all about personal preference!E

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Okay, I have twon questions.1. The price is fair(honest), but they do have room to work a little if pushed hard.2. You can find a better cut diamond but you may have to search for a while, and pay a little more(maybe).**I don't like getting into the price thing, I know the stone your looking at, so you really need to keep that between you and he.------------------
StevL
www.demsjewelers.com
www.eightstar.com

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
nobody seen me doing it. you can't proove anything
tongue.gif

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
That's what you think! If you're an angel, I'm one for sure.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
LOL Steve! I don't think so.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Steve, I promised I wouldn't. You know I'm an
angel.gif

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Leonid....what is the problem with the angel smilies?

Shainie415

Rough_Rock
Steve L: You think that I should negotiate the price?
Also: Is the cut that I have bad?? Will it affect the glitter and shine dramatically?
Thanks a lot for all your help by the way!!

Shainie415

Rough_Rock
Ok, so basically the cut is the thing that i should be focusing on here. I called up the jeweler and found out the cut specs from GIA, so here goes:
Table: 72
Girdle: Med. to slightly thick
Polish: Very Good
Depth: 68
Range: 1.32
Flourescence: None
The clarity is VVS2.What do you think?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Shainie415,
[FONT=Verdana,]quote:[/FONT]
I recently got an offer for the following:
Carat: 1.71
Color: I
Clarity: VVS
for the price of $7780
If the stone is as represented the price sounds quite good. Does the stone have a grading report? What is the clarity - VVS1 or VVS2?
I don't know about the girdle or table. What is considered good quality with that stuff? I know that I do not want a square shape but rather long and skinny-rectangular.
For guidance on the Emerald cut grades use AGA charts: www.gemappraisers.com/chrt3.htm
Also, if I care a lot about shine and how it "glitters" is I color too low?
I color is not too low and it won't affect how the diamond glitters.
What matters more, clarity or color?
It is a matter of personal taste. However, you won't see any inclusions with the naked eye if you go down with clarity to VS1/2 while can save some money and improve color or size.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results