shape
carat
color
clarity

I need SERIOUS help here!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oouioo

Rough_Rock
Hi!

I am completely new to this, so I apologize for not knowing much! My boyfriend and I have just started looking for engagement rings. I really LOVE the shape of a marquise cut, but Im running into a huge problem. I tend not to like most prong settings. I know most marquise cuts have a traditional 6 prong setting and I really dont like it at all. I dont know how to find settings that are a little different and nontraditional. I dont like east/west marquise settings either. I would love to find a pretty tension set marquise, but isnt it not very safe? because the diamond might fall out? Also, has anyone heard of a bezel set marquise? Im just looking for something unique and it's very hard because when I do searches on the internet all I find are the same things!

I did find this setting from Hearts on Fire which holds a round, not marquise, that I love. The jeweler said that they only do round and another square type cut. I really like the style of the two prongs (being more fat instead of sharp and claw-like)

http://www.heartsonfire.com/#/us/en-us/diamond-collection/view-details.php?item_id=3122&item_name=Ascend%20Two-Prong%20Solitaire&style_name=Asc2PS&type_id=1&type_name=Rings&subtype_id=1&subtype_name=Engagement%20Rings&type=1

Do you think I should give up on the marquise shape? I really dont like most prong settings and I also dont like crazy thick banded modern looks.

ANY help would be really appreciated! Thank you so much!

LuckyTexan

Brilliant_Rock

oouioo

Rough_Rock
sorry! I didnt post the link correctly! Thanks for re-posting it!

oouioo

Rough_Rock
I know! That''s EXACTLY how I feel! I really would prefer a marquise and I dont want to have to settle!

Thank you SO much for the advice!

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Etienne Perret does beautiful bezel settings, including marquise: MaeVona is one of my favorite companies, and they do a beautiful marquise ring that isn''t a bezel, but isn''t a traditional 6-prong, either. Also, search MAChick on PriceScope! She has one of the most beautiful settings I''ve ever seen. It''s e-w, but I bet the designers (Greenlake Jewelers in Seattle) could make something to your taste ....

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
Here is another one to look at to give you an idea....

Bezelring1.jpg

E B

Ideal_Rock
Hi oouioo, welcome to Pricescope!

Ritani has a marquise halo/bezel setting you might like:

ritanimarq1.jpg

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
hi oouioo :)

i know you said you didnt like E-W marquise settings, but here''s a beauty which i thought you might be interested in done in a N/S style. if nothing else, it might inspire a few ideas of something you like even better :)

vbsmarquise.jpg

E B

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a marquise in an interesting half-bezel-ish setting:

halfbezelmarq.jpg

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LOVED bezeled marquises (okay, I love bezeled ANYTHING). I think that that is a much safer way to go.

The problem with the tension setting is that it would leave the vulnerable corners of the stone entirely exposed, which would keep me from wearing the ring, honestly. I''d be too afraid of chipping those points, because it would just be WAY too easy to do with them pointing out north-south.

You will feel a lot more secure with a bezel! There are many custom jewelers who can do a very, very thin/fine bezel that you will barely notice in real life, and that way you could replicate the look of a tension setting but cheat with a bezel to add some much needed protection for those delicate corners.

MMMD

Shiny_Rock
A tension setting won''t work for marquise because the points will be exposed and you''ll damage the stone lickety split. I would definitely contact Whiteflash and see what they come up with.

Marquise are great. When I got engaged in 1986 they were all the rage. Don''t get frustrated - take your time and you''ll find the ring of your dreams!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2009 12:03:33 AM
Author: whitby_2773

i know you said you didnt like E-W marquise settings, but here''s a beauty which i thought you might be interested in done in a N/S style. if nothing else, it might inspire a few ideas of something you like even better :)

I can picture this in plat with milgrain--mmmm
30.gif
I love marquise cuts!

got2goldens

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/7/2009 11:58:57 PM
Author: EBree
Hi oouioo, welcome to Pricescope!

Ritani has a marquise halo/bezel setting you might like:
Now THAT is a beautiful Marquise setting
30.gif

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Kat

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/8/2009 12:03:33 AM

Thread-jack! I LOVE this setting -- where did you find it?!?

MikeRato1

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/8/2009 10:49:10 AM
Author: MMMD
A tension setting won''t work for marquise because the points will be exposed and you''ll damage the stone lickety split. I would definitely contact Whiteflash and see what they come up with.

Marquise are great. When I got engaged in 1986 they were all the rage. Don''t get frustrated - take your time and you''ll find the ring of your dreams!
when we were in the market for a tension setting she did try on some marquise, but they did not have a huge selection
let us know what you decide, good luck!

oouioo

Rough_Rock
Thank you SO much for all your advice! This is exactly what i needed! I really like the half bezel setting and also the halo setting as well. I am going to see if I can find something like that close by, so I could try it on and see how it looks on my hand.

I really loved the MaeVona collection that was recommended. They were beautiful! If anyone else has any suggestions about unquie settings (doesnt have to be marquise) then please, please let me know!

again, THANK YOU!!

oouioo

Rough_Rock
I have never seen anything like that!! It''s amazing how people can come up with those designs!

oouioo

Rough_Rock
Where did you find this setting? Im wondering if I could do somthing like this with a thinner bezel piece around the diamond

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
hi Dee*Jay :)

that ring is a von bargens ring and i think it''s amazing. it''s on their web site (www.vonbargens.com) and you need to go to the ''pure custom'' link which is on the first page. i love their work and they will be making me my next custom ring.

and then i''m just gonna work my way through *all* the jewelers i like! :D

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/9/2009 9:18:07 AM
hi Dee*Jay :)

that ring is a von bargens ring and i think it''s amazing. it''s on their web site (www.vonbargens.com) and you need to go to the ''pure custom'' link which is on the first page. i love their work and they will be making me my next custom ring.

and then i''m just gonna work my way through *all* the jewelers i like! :D
Thank you!

And I love you''re *plan*!
2.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are some great settings. Have fun shopping.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE EBree''s post of the half bezel - wow is that pretty - kinda traditional with a twist - very wearable - love love love it!

melz

Shiny_Rock
Alexis - Where did you find the gorgeous setting with the blue marquise-shaped stone in this chain? Thanks!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You mentioned in your first post about a tension set marquise? I've got one - it's suspended between two arms of metal and floating over princess channel set diamonds. I've got to say that I never feel that it's safe! It's also too chunky I think for what you want but this might give you an idea to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results