shape
carat
color
clarity

I need help to pick my colours...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Good morning girls!

I''m not a very visual person and I''m having a hard time picking my colours. We''re having a fall wedding, but I''m not drawn to brown and chocolate tones, so I''d like something different. My FI was really helpful (right) and said "as long as it''s not pink, it''s fine", and he''s colourblind, so he can''t help me figure out if it matches.

I was thinking about something like hunter green and burnt orange? But I''m not even sure if that would fit together. I''d also like a third colour as an accent colour (lavender, maybe?), for ribbons and stuff. I''ve seen some colour samples in knot bios and planning threads here, maybe that could help me... Can anyone tell me how to find that?

Any tips, suggestions? Thanks!

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Anchor... hunter green and orange as the primary colors makes me think of camoflauge for some reason... like the hunting section of a sporting goods store.
3.gif

I personally love the chocolate brown tones, but they're definitely VERY trendy right now, so I like the idea of doing something different. What colors do you love? What appeals to you in paintings and clothing and decorating? That might help us get a better sense of what will be most "you"...

My initial thought is maybe burnt orange combined with deeper reds, and then just a touch of green as the accent? Ooooh... or maybe burnt orange and deep purple, with reds as the accent?

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Anchor, we were discussing this last weekend, Paul and I. I had our colors set from day 1- Wine, Gold, and Ivory. Now, my techie-FI made a random place setting complete with all our colors, including the centerpieces I want (attached). And because of the fall theme we''re going with, the wine would not go. SO, he asssured me the change to a burnt reddish orange would be perfect for our pumpkins and all that. And damn me, but it DID look tons better. So now we''re Gold, Ivory and Reddish Orange. Which makes us have to choose new napkins/sashes. Anyway, I jabber too much about that.

Um, I agree with Ephemery in that orange and green= rabbit huntin'' season.
28.gif
But I think you don''t need to stick with fall colors, we are because I LOVE them. :) I have a specialty bio right here, too:

http://knottiespecialtybiolist.googlepages.com/home

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Picture didn''t post.
1.gif

candycorns-2gerber.jpg

bravesfan

Shiny_Rock
Good morning! For a fall wedding you could do a number of colors... Deep purples, sage green, yellow, orange. I am getting married in the fall but I couldnt find any that I really loved so my fiance and I are doing a dark purple and silver. My friend who got married last fall did crimson red for everything and it was beautiful. I have also seen a wedding in the fall where the colors were orange and yellow like the leaves. It ended up being absolutely gorgeous! In the end pick colors that you love, not what you think will "match" ... If you dont like brown, dont do it. Good luck to you!!
1.gif

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
I was in a fall wedding last year. All of the bridesmaids wore the same dress in different colors. Here''s a pic with everyone''s faces blacked out except mine.

bmsfallwedding.jpg

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the advice everyone!

I really like your idea of colours, ephemery! I guess I''ll have to try to match some things up to get a more visual idea...

Amber - I love love love your colours! Your image is definitely inspiring.

braves - Orange and yellow sounds great too. I''ve been going back and forth between orange and yellow, so why not both?

Choices, choices...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
This would be a good starting point. I think. Maybe purple ribbon to wrap and some dark purple fresia in the bouquet.

4638z.jpg

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
and in a nod to the cooler end of the spectrum -- perhaps navy?

E B

Ideal_Rock
Remember, just because you''re having a fall wedding doesn''t mean you have to have fall colors. Our wedding is in late September and we''re doing various cool blues and ivory.

What about something like this? (I like to work in dupioni.)

sagegold.JPG

E B

Ideal_Rock
...or maybe something like a soft peach accented with a deep red?

peachred.JPG

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I''m really impressed with your ideas, and I love them all! I do like and want fall colours, so that''s not the problem. Seeing those examples really help.

I''m definitely partial to autumn leaves colours, it''s what I love most about fall! Maybe deep red and burnt orange for the two ladies dresses, golden yellow tones for the flowers and navy for the ribbons?

Ebree - How do you do that? It''s so helpful for someone an "non colour savvy" as me!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/29/2006 3:12:27 PM
Author: anchor31
I''m really impressed with your ideas, and I love them all! I do like and want fall colours, so that''s not the problem. Seeing those examples really help.

I''m definitely partial to autumn leaves colours, it''s what I love most about fall! Maybe deep red and burnt orange for the two ladies dresses, golden yellow tones for the flowers and navy for the ribbons?

Ebree - How do you do that? It''s so helpful for someone an ''non colour savvy'' as me!

Hehe, I just found dupioni silk pictures on a website and put them together in microsoft paint. I like using the "silk swatches" for color representation rather than just reg. flat color swatches because they show depth and texture.

I really like the idea of deep red and burnt orange for the dresses! Golden yellow flowers would be beautiful, too. I''d have to see the navy ribbon with the whole package. You could tie the color of the girls'' dresses in with your bouquet...perhaps a mix of red roses, orange callas and a deep golden flower?

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/29/2006 3:12:27 PM

I'm definitely partial to autumn leaves colours, it's what I love most about fall! Maybe deep red and burnt orange for the two ladies dresses, golden yellow tones for the flowers and navy for the ribbons?

Rough idea? Paint is so much fun. Oh, and imagine the flowers are fall flowers, not spring. This is for color rep. only.

anchorcolors.JPG

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Ebree, you are a genius. I love it!
30.gif
9.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/29/2006 3:43:17 PM
Ebree, you are a genius. I love it!
30.gif
9.gif

I do too. I think it''s a beautiful combo!

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Love the new pics Ebree and Anchor!! Ebree, you are AWESOME. Anchor, I love the final dress colors with flowers!

GarysBride

Shiny_Rock
hey thats a great visual idea im goona go have fun with my adobe now!

LizzieC

Brilliant_Rock
Just gorgeous... I love the burnt orange and red color palette. I like the idea of incorporating some purple though... that would be very striking.
30.gif

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Lookie what I just did!

colourswatches2.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
My wedding was the end of September, and my wedding colors were red and gold. Very fall leaf, so to speak. Still felt autumnish and rich, but without incorporating brown. The girls wore deep red dresses and carried yellow calla lilies.

I'm not big on the orange and green...it does remind me of camouflage somehow!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I tried it with purple for the ribbons instead of navy blue, and I like it!

colourswatches3.gif

What do you think?

bravesfan

Shiny_Rock
Anchor-- That looks wonderful! I like those colors together!

Ebree-- do you remember where you found the dupioni silk pics? I love how you can matcht the colors together, and that would make it alot easier to show my wedding cordinator!
1.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/29/2006 8:03:59 PM
Author: bravesfan
Anchor-- That looks wonderful! I like those colors together!

Ebree-- do you remember where you found the dupioni silk pics? I love how you can matcht the colors together, and that would make it alot easier to show my wedding cordinator!
1.gif

I do! This is where I got the colors above:

Denver Fabrics Dupioni

If you want to combine colors, you''ll have to do it yourself in paint, but that takes like, 10 seconds (and if you want me to, just let me know). I''ve linked you to the "sorted by color" page, so just click on whichever category. HTH!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
So... I have a question... Do you girls like the navy accents or the purple accents better? I''ve had 3 votes for the blue and 2 for the purple in my family, and I''m leaning towards the purple... Of course I''ll have to ask for my FI''s opinion!
28.gif
I''d just like to know what you think.

colourswatchescomp.gif

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
i vote purple instead of navy.

i''d also vote that the orange be a bit deeper - like the burnt orange posted earlier (dark red & burnt orange bridesmaid dresses)...

but you''re doing great! looks purty : )

Aussiegirl : p

bravesfan

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Ebree and Anchor! That is a great idea to see colors together!

Anchor- I like the purple better myself (however I am a bit bias since purple is my favorite color
28.gif
)

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, aussiegirl and bravesfan! So that''s 3 blue and 4 purple...

LizzieC

Brilliant_Rock
purple! And I agree w/ aussie that the orange should be a burnt orange. So lovely.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results