shape
carat
color
clarity

I Need Help Please!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tazman282

Rough_Rock
I am a very lucky individual and make you all sick yes I know but I am also in desperate need of help. I was given a pear shaped diamond pendant valued at 15,000 but she (my grandmother) paid 10 so if I bring it back to the same guy he told me he would do a somewhat even swap because she buys so much from him. He is able to get almost anything and told me to do some research and bring back exact measurements etc and he will get the closest he can at the best price give or take. So that is where I stand right now. My girlfriend is rather petite so I do not want to go over 1.25 or under 1.0 but want to get the most bang for the buck like everyone else. I have done a lot of research 20-30hrs, but it all overwhelms me because the price differences for just minor things. I was told you will get the most change in the diamond with least amount of money difference with polish and symmetry. And the 10,000 will be for the whole thing including setting and wedding band. I am also contemplating plat, vs white gold So for all of you out there that have experience with this and like a good challenge. Please give me your opinions or send me in the right direction atleast. 1.10 F VVS1
61.6% Depth
57% Table
GIA
thn-med GDL
no Cul
ex sym
ex POL
no FLR
6.65*6.67*4.10
$8633 $/CRT
$9496* Price

Tazman282

Rough_Rock
I believe it is like >2.0 H not sure on the specifics... I know it isn't GIA or anything. But she purchased it maybe 15 yrs ago I guess. Might be worth more. But most places to do an exchange they will give me XXX number but I have to spend double. I could get it appraised I guess.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
It is difficult for us to tell you how to spend your $10,000. You have a LOT of choices.

For instance, why VVS1? You are paying a huge premium to get this very very high clarity. Do you also want a very very well cut stone (if so you need more than just the depth and table percents)? Or is a decent cut all you are after? How about the color. F is up there, but you may find the color in a G or H still almost impossible to detect. Or maybe the rare D VVS1 is calling you. The differences in all these parameters is very subtle, and what is important (or gives you the BANG for the buck) to one person may not get the same priority from another person.

Are you searching on the 'net and asking this jeweler to get the stone in on memo? Why can't the jeweler get a parcel of $10,000 stones of different color/clarity/cut combinations for you to look at? Keep in mind that he may not be willing to sell you a $10,000 internet stone at $10,000 - his markup may be substantially more. Look at some stones side-by-side and see which one speaks to you.

As far as settings go, the choices are almost limitless. Platinum is popular and timeless, so that's a can't miss if the little lady likes the non-gold look. It can make your head spin.
twirl.gif

Tazman282

Rough_Rock
I understand what you are saying but that is the problem is that I don't know enough about them to make that decision. And this jewler is not going to have a markup on it at all. It is going to be at cost. So if the appraisal is at 15,000 then that is the stone I can get. He sells for 10,000 it is working out as he made the money on the first transaction and he is doing a favor for my grandmother sort of deal. You have to understand my grandmother has spent in upwards of 100,000 easy with this single jewler. He creates stuff for her all the time. So he wouldn't want to piss her off. I think that I am going to go with the platinum because I like it better. But as for the stone that is what I am asking. If this was your money what would you buy. With the size range specified. But I do have to spend all the money. So the closer I get to the price of 10000 the better deal I get. If I spend 8000 he gets the difference. So I need to get specifics... The more Ideas I get from you all the more options that are open for me. So if you had your ideal and I get two other responses that are close to yours that is the direction I will head rather than no idea at all. If you get what I am saying..

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I'm a little confused. Why don't you create a setting for the pear? It's special coming from your grandmother & it is a sizable stone.

I would get the pear independently appraised. I would not rely on anything the jeweler says. You definitely need more information.

You may be trading in a stone worth 15K for something worth 5K. I'd take a step back.

Tazman282

Rough_Rock
The jewler suggested that to me but the stone is really not important. It was given to me for this because she didn't want it anymore. To trade it in or use or whatever else. I am going to receive her actual engagement ring if she were to ever move on which isn't going to happen. The only thing with the pear is its way to big for my girl friend. Using a 1. -1.25 is to big. She weighs 100 lbs 5'0 so to put a 2 on her ring would look like she got it out of a gumball machine. How exactly would the ring be worth more if this same jewler sold it to her. And the new one that I get will definitly be certified. I don't know, I am lost at sea with unanswered questions. And don't have any idea of what to do...

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
first, it's never too big
wink2.gif
9.gif

That said, if you really don't want to use this stone, I would approach the whole thing this way.

Get the ring/stone appraised by an independent appraiser. This will cost you around $125.00. You will know exactly the specs on the stone. Ask the appraiser to evaluate the cut as well. You will know exactly what you have. You can search pricescope for similar spec stones & determine what the stone is selling for.

In the meantime, research all the tutorials on this site & others. Once you have determined what you criteria is to buy, then you have the price the stone is *supposed* to cost.

Trade-ins are tricky. The best ones work to all's best advantage. What you don't want to happen is too trade in the 10k stone for one that you could easily buy over the net for 6k. Arm yourself with more information. I would not rely on the jeweler to do you good. Regardless of what you say, the guy is in the business to make money - not soley to keep your grandmother happy. That is the bottom line.

Good luck.
Re

Tazman282

Rough_Rock
Well if I were to go someplace else. where exactly can I bring the diamond to trade it in based on everywhere I went they want a double spent. I have heard of the diamond exchange but heard that they like to rip people off. Especially with my lack of knowledge. I mean I know the basics but the specs on a diamond could go over my head rather quickly. And where do I bring it to get appraised. Is there a way to get it actually certified through like GIA or not? And are there better appraisers than others. I know how you feel with the jewler issue but my grandmother told me that he will give me the best deal because he knows the diamond. I just don't know what to do.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Taz, I'm not saying to deal with another jeweler. Just arm yourself with all the knowledge necesssary to make a smart trade. Do your homework.

Is the stone unset?

Ask the question on this forum for an independent appraiser in your area. Do a search for one on the list on this forum. I see from your profile you are in Daytona Beach. Rich Sherwood, a recommended independent appaiser who frequents this forum, is in Sarasota springs. I have no idea if you are close or not - but a two hour drive would be well worth it. Also, Rocdoc is somewhere in fl. as well.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Taz, it's like car shopping with a trade-in.

You need to keep the two transactions completely separate.

1. You need to know the value of the stone you are trading in. An independent appraiser (someone who isn't interested in selling you a stone)can evaluate what you have.

2. You need to know the proper cost of the stone you are thinking about buying.

You need to gather information on both 1 & 2.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
LISTEN to Fire&Ice. Definitely sound advice. Get the diamond independently appraised first. Spend some time educating your self on diamonds using this site, Good Old Gold, etc. so you don't have that out-of-control and overwhelmed feeling. Knowledge is your power here. Trusted friend or not, the jeweler who sold your grandma the stone is going to try to get ahead in this deal. Can't blame him. He's in business to make money. I'm not saying he's going to rip you off, but it's going to take some effort on your part to make this deal worthwhile for BOTH of you and leave YOU feeling satisfied in the end.

Diamondlil

P.S. Like my Nana said: If your diamond is big and heavy, wear a sling.
9.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds are NEVER too big! No matter who that jeweler is, you are not going to get the appraisal value for the diaond: maybe somethin a bit above the 1/2 if the guy is a friend. I I were your girl, I would be mad to know that I missed getting a BIG diamond for a SMALL one! Sounds way strange.

Don't rush, get the pear certified to know what is worth (this IS the only way) and in the meantime figure out wether your girl things she is too small for a 2ct pear. I am smaller than she and would not ming a 3ct! After all, a good percentage of women I work with wear big stones. The ring I wear almost all the time is even bigger (a sapphire) and I am not at all at odds with the taste of other small women. While this remains a matter of taste (HERS, fi I may add) diamonds are not to be sized as shoes...

Tazman282

Rough_Rock
Well with the size, she knows nothing of this diamond first off and we are going to keep it that way. I have hinted toward the pear shape diamond and she doesn't like them at all. She thinks they are for pendants or earrings. We have also looked at all sizes and shapes and in her mind the ideal ring is a simple 1.25 round in a single plat or white gold stting no other diamonds unless she gets a wrap or something. She tried on a 2 caret and thought it was to big for her little fingers. So she said she just wants a 1 caret and it could be from K-mart as long as it is real. She really has no clue about diamonds. She could be sold anytime anyplace as the perfect diamond. So no matter what I get I can not go wrong. So I figure I would go with the 1.25 round plat. And leave it at that. And then on to the appraisal I think I am going to look more into that and see what I can find. I just don't trust anyone because I have read so many horror stories about people that have gotten screwed. Well thank you all for your help. I am atleast headed in the right direction and I may be able to get a scan on here for you to all see what it looks like. The one I have and then the end result. I am sure that I will be on here with more questions and anyone else that has .02 please feel free to add. I can never get enough information. Thank you all again for your help...

Tazman282

Rough_Rock
I have decided to bring the diamond to the guy in Sarasota, however, when I do get the appraisal who would I sell/trade the diamond to? I have heard of the diamond exchange but don't know anything about them. Thanks for the responses.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
TAZ - I'M IN CAPS TO YELL AT YOU! I'M OLD - GOT TO GET THROUGH
wink2.gif
9.gif

You may *indeed* use your Grandmom's jeweler. All I am saying is that you have your duck in a row *prior* to doing so. You may be able to find a great 1.25 stone in trade.........and a bracelet ...and some pearls ...and some earrings. All of which will be good - wedding gifts & first year anniv. gifts.

YOU JUST NEED TO BE INFORMED - and subsequently make a good & fair trade for all.

Good luck. Rich is cool.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hi Taz!
wavey.gif

First, 20-30 hours research is not enough to time to educate yourself on diamonds. I read the tutorials, lurked this Forum, and posted a couple trial diamonds over the course of 3 months prior to my purchase. There is much too much to learn and consider to make an informed decision after such a short period of time. Continue to read posts in the Forum and other diamond educational material before you do anything.

Second, follow F&I's advise to get the pear appraised. Don't use another jeweler. Use a certified, independent appraiser. You will get a totally objective analysis and opinion of the value of the diamond as much as the setting will permit.

Third, trade-in's are tricky at best. You will get the best deal by going back to the jeweler who sold the diamond originally. You are correct that other jewelers will generally expect you to "give" them the pear AND spend the value of the pear as well. But, you are in a better bargaining position with a current appraisal of the diamond. Grandma's jeweler will give you the "best value" by not requiring you to spend extra bucks, but don't think for a minute that he/she is not making money on the deal.

Let's assume the diamond you listed is a 1A CUT. The current average Price Scope asking price for a similar 1A CUT, F, VVS1 diamond is $8452/carat or $9297 total for a similar 1.10 carat diamond from a Price Scope vendor. And that sounds like a fair deal. But, if that diamond is a 3B CUT, then you are looking at about $7500 total for a similar diamond from a Price Scope vendor. Those numbers are what similar diamonds would cost YOU to purchase, not the price the jeweler actually paid for this diamond.

If you have seen the diamond and liked what you saw, then ask the jeweler if he/she would be willing to send it to one of the Price Scope approved appraisers for evaluation. You will get an independent, 3rd party opinion on the CUT, Cert verification, and value of the diamond. If that puppy is a great make then you are doing well in the trade. If not, you may want to try selling the pear on your own and doing an outright purchase of the new diamond.
1.gif

Tazman282

Rough_Rock
Hey thanks for the info. One thing that I wasn't sure about there was you mentioned about sending the diamond out and having him do it. Would I be better off to shell out the 100 or so to do it myself so that I know I got a fair grade or just leave it up to him and have him pay for it. Well thanks again to all of you wonderful, helpful, people I don't know what I would do without you all...

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Generally speaking, the jeweler might expect you to pay the cost of shipping and insurance via USPS Certified/Registered Mail. Shipping will run you about $50 to $75 (or so) total in cost.

If the jeweler will go along with having the diamond evaluated prior to purchase, choose on of the PS appraisers, contact the appraiser to let them know the diamond is coming, and arrange with your jeweler to ship to the appraiser.

You pay the appraiser so he/she is working for you. The appraiser will report directly to you the results of the evaluation and ship the diamond back to the jeweler.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results