shape
carat
color
clarity

I Need Help Please

lola_m

Rough_Rock
Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen. My name is Lola. I live in Germany. Recently I have inherited some jewelry from my late mother-in-law. And now I have a "problem" with this brooch. "It was love at first sight, at last sight, at ever and ever sight." I had never see it before by my mother-in-law. First I was thinking it's bijouterie. But my friend end told me it's not. I was by jeweler, and my friend was right. Gold on silver with Mazarin (?) cut diamonds. But I don't know anything about origin of this brooch. Gold hallmarks (or producer marks) are very strange to me. ( "something", " A" and dot, and another little "A"... ) Please if anyone can help to solve the "mystery". Thank you in advance for your attention and help. Best regards, Lola

monogram02.jpg

monograme03.jpg

monograme05.jpg

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
It's definitely got rose cut diamonds in it (I'm not sure if that the same thing as Mazarin cut). As for the age, I just don't know. An educated guess would be Victorian or earlier.

One thing you don't want to do with these antique pieces is clean the dark patina off. It will totally blow the look of those rose cuts if you strip the patina.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree that those look like rosé cuts. No other guesses as to details, but it is gorgeous!!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Stones and the silver work look older than Victorian, my guess would be Georgian. I could be completely off base here because I don't know anything about European brooches. My Grandfather was Scottish and I have seen Scottish and Irish Rings and Brooches with the crown and letters. They were used either to represent their clan OR when someone gets married the letters would be the names of either each clan so the last names or the first names of the people getting married. Like the Irish claddagh ring idea but with a brooch representing love, the king and country and the names of the two people.

My Grandfather wore different brooches one with a long pin and one short pin brooch to hold the folds of his kilt together and others along a sash he wore across his body when he played the bagpipes. Unfortunately he is dead now so I can't ask him.

If it were me I would ask all the family members to see if you can trace the family tree to find out if the "E" and the "M" are surnames or first names of parties that were married or the general initials of their surnames.

It's a stunning piece. Goodluck.

lola_m

Rough_Rock
Tnx To All Of You. My husband told me, that his mother inherited this brooch from her great aunt. That lady was married in Russia, the 19th century. Maybe this will help. There are more pics.

_5528.jpg

_5525.jpg

_5526.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results