shape
carat
color
clarity

I need Help! Novice!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

adorned

Rough_Rock
I am a novice! I have wanted a diamond ring since I could walk. When I got married we had no money. Five years later we do. I have found the perfect ring.
The reason I''m posting is I''m unsure about a few things regarding it. 1. The ring is an Art deco Platinum ring circa 1920 2. Asking price 10.000 that scares me. It''s like having a mini car on my finger.
I had them send it off for certification. Because we didn''t want the stone removed so they could only give color, weight, clarity and measurements.
6.32-6.2x3.78mm
1.1ct Color E VS1 Old European cut. Their appraisal value is 11010.00
is this too much to pay for this ring?
Why is the appraisal so close to asking price?
I can''t figure out how to send a picture. If you want one I will send it.
I would appreciate and input.
I will end with my body temperature increases when this ring is on my finger.
Adorned

widget

Ideal_Rock
Welcome Adorned! I'm just dying to see the Deco ring you're considering! I'm a HUGE fan of these old pieces!

...... my body temperature increases when this ring is on my finger.
Well, this tells me that the price is just right!
2.gif

Seriously...putting a value on an old piece is really tricky, and of course the style, the workmanship, the quality of the diamonds all play a part in determining a price.

I'm a little confused...did you get the ring appraised or the diamond certified?

I can tell you that authentic vintage deco jewelry (not repros) are in great demand now...if the Old European Cut's stats are accurate, this would lead me to think the entire ring is probably top-end, too. E/VS OECs are quite rare.

Do you have a picture of this beauty? If you do, PM me and I'd be happy to post it for you!

widget

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi and welcome to PS
35.gif
I myself had to do a search for an OEC for my sister in law and your price sounds in line. Have to say the good ones are few and far between. I would get it appraised for your peace of mind. But it sounds like the one. Of course we would love to see a pic if you have one to share with us. I know that when I did my SIL''S ring there were only 5 stones that I could find that were great stones. Kind of like finding a needle in a hay stack if you will. Lisa
1.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a picture of the ring Adorned sent me....isn''t it yummy?
3.gif

Adorned: It is indeed beautiful! But it really is impossible to guess if the asking price is fair just from looking at the pic. Where did you find it? A local jeweler? On the internet? Is it being sold on consignment? Exactly who graded the OEC E/VS-1?

What the heck...if it sends you, then I''d go for it! But since they''re asking 10k, I''d start out by offering less...8k, maybe. Just a thought.
1.gif

I hope others jump in with opinions!

widget

adnd2.jpg

adorned

Rough_Rock
Thanks for posting. I found it at a local jewler in Los Angeles. EGL certified it. Because I didn''t want the stone removed. I would offer less but they were asking alot more I got him down to 10k. It was alot of work.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Adorned, if the ring was EGL graded, then the weight, color and clarity have been described well enough not to need to remove the diamond. If the grading was done on this diamond in the USa by EGL probably in that range of color and clarity the grading is just about the same as GIA, in my experience.

Do a pricescope search for what a modern cut diamond of that weight, color and clarity would cost you and you will see something meaningful about what that diamond ought to cost. The deco mounting is a lot extra if it is in pristine condition.

adorned

Rough_Rock
Thank you so mych!!! I will do that.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results