shape
carat
color
clarity

I need help (I''m sure an original topic)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dallavise

Rough_Rock
Hello all,
I am having trouble deciding between two stones. I really want to get the perfect stone for my girlfriend, soon to be fiancee, but I am getting stuck and I want to ask of some opinions on which diamond is a better deal. They are both internet buys, just so you know.

Diamond #1

round brilliant
5.21x5.26x3.21
.53 carat
depth 61.3%
Table 57%
Girdle 1.3 - 2.0 1.6%
Culet 0.6
Crown 34.3, 14.5%
Pavillion 40.9, 43.2%
Clarity VVS1
Color D
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Excellent

Diamond #2

round brilliant
5.34x5.38x3.3
.58 carat
depth 61.6
table 55.5
Girdle 1.7 - 3 2.1%
Culet 0.6
crown 33.9, 14.9
Pavillion 41, 43.3
Clarity VVS1
Color D
Polish Very Good
Symmetry Very Good

I have GIA and Sarin reports for both.
Diamond #2 is slightly cheaper than Diamond #1. When I used the Holloway Cut advisor, diamond number 1 scored a 1.4 and diamond number two scored 1.3. I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything, but FYI. I want a great diamond, but I want the best deal, can anyone be of assistance. Thank you kindly. By the way, thanks for the replies so far. My girlfriend used to work at a jeweler and she is sort of a diamond "snob", of course I'm probably a diamond "hillbilly". She told me that she didn't want a diamond because she didn't want me to buy something that was low quality(rather have none than bad, and I'm a student, if that makes it easier to understand) I also didn't want to big, because I wanted something modest (in size, at least)

Chris

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Is she really picky on color, or are you? Only reason I ask is, unless it's a shaped stone like emerald of radiant, etc...there is usually no need for a perfect D color. I have seen a D and G together and there was barely a difference with the sparkle making the G white as heck!

That being said, same goes with the VVS1. If you are a quality guy, I say go for those specs, but you could probably go lower in color and clarity and get a SUPERb cut and maybe even get a larger size, but again it's your preference! Good luck and congrats on the ring buying...!
9.gif
appl.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
They both look like they will be nice stones, but #2 is bigger diameter-wise, and cheaper, so I'd pick it.

If I were you, I'd drop the color and clarity and increase the size. Don't compromise on cut, but any clarity above a VS2 and sometimes even SI1 is paying a steep premium for something you can only see under magnification. Eye-clean is what matters, and you can get that in VS and sometimes SI. You also pay a premium on D color because of it's rarity more than a visual difference. Color is a personal thing, but most people can't tell the difference in adjacent colors. You can stay in the colorless range at E and F and save some $$, and you can drop down to G,H and sometimes I/J and they will still face up nice and white. That's what I would do. Most women care more about the size of the stone than the imperceivable "quality".

Robyn12

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

Have you taken a look at diamonds with a lower clarity and color in person? I think you'd be surprised by how beautiful they are. A lot of people feel with a D/VVS1 you are paying for things you will never see. If it were me, I would look for a G/VS1 or VS2 and up the ct size! It will still be VERY white and VERY clear, and you could probably get a much bigger rock.

Just my two cents. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results