shape
carat
color
clarity

I need help!! I can''t find a wedding dress:(

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Carats

Shiny_Rock
I just got back from my trip to NYC where we visited Mark Ingram, Kleinfeld, and Pronovias. I have also been to a bunch of boutiques in my area. My problem is I can''t find a dress!! Literally, nothing I try on feels perfect or just right (especially at the places in NYC, which was a complete surprise since I figured Kleinfelds would have to have many if not one dress that I would love). Anyone else been in this position? I just started looking but I''ve already been to a bunch of places and am getting kinda worried.

I also haven''t really decided on what style I really like or found anything in a picture that seems spectacular. I like chic, sophisticated designs that are different; nothing gaudy or over the top in an ugly, trying to get attention type of way; but at the same time I don''t want anything ordinary. I''m petite and am drawn to mermaid or tight fitted dresses. At the same time, I think ball gowns are beautiful as well. Basically my problem is I haven''t had an "ah ha" moment and I''m starting to freak out. Any help? Any suggestions or ideas?

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
When is your wedding? Also, what is your budget? I''ll find some suggestions for you.

Carats

Shiny_Rock
No real budget; my problem now is finding something I like without growing too impatient and tired with this whole dress shopping experience. Wedding is first week of August. I have to find a dress either this week or next week before I go back to school since this is the only time I have time.

I really appreciate help!!
17.gif

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
ok, can you give me something to go off of? For example, can you post a few links to the dresses you tried on that you didn't like?

ETA...I can't believe that you didn't find anything at Mark Ingram. It makes me think they were showing you the wrong dresses. Also, what is your venue like?

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Try looking at gowns that are not necessarily "wedding" gowns. You may find something you love in an upscale department store, or in the MOB section that can be ordered in ivory, white, or another color.

Meanwhile, I still can''t commit to a gown!
14.gif

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock

Carats

Shiny_Rock
I like Palmona Blanca 3966. I also found a Monique Lh bodice, I believe it was called "venice" that was really pretty. I also found an anne barge that was plan mermaid that was gorgeous; although, my Mom thought it was way to plain. I''m sort of on the fence about those really simple dresses; can''t decide if I love them or will wonder why I went with something so simple in 20 years. I also liked a bunch of Priscilla of Bostons - Saffron, 4109, and 4213. Does that give you a better idea of what I like?

E B

Ideal_Rock
Something like this, or with more embellishment?

Reem Acra Spring 2010

ETA: NM, just saw your 'like' list. Still...close?

reem2010.jpg

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
I''ll look at those dresses tomorrow and get back to you. I also started a thread on PW for you. Check it out. It''s called, help me help a friend with her wedding dress.

E B

Ideal_Rock
This one is simple but STUNNING. Alvina Valenta AV9752.

av9752.jpg

bigdiamondtinygal

Shiny_Rock
what about this dress: http://www.jlmcouture.com/Alvina-Valenta/Bridal/Additional/Style-9700?result (maybe without the sash or with a different color sash?)

I had a REALLY hard time finding a dress too. I am very petite (just about 5 feet) and NOTHING looked good on me. I must have tried on 40 dresses or more. All of the styles I wanted to wear weren''t looking right on me. Finally, the sales lady asked me to just try on a dress that was a totally different style than I liked or wanted. Turns out...she was right. It was my dress. Totally not what I wanted or thought I would wear. Have you let them choose for you? Just an idea in addition to looking at what you think you like for you.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
All of the POB styles you mentioned have lace. I think I have a better idea now. Also, did you happen to try on any of those?

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
Hi Carats!

I love the POB gowns you listed! Did you try them on? Things that look so-so in pics can look so stunning on you. I think ballgowns can be tough on petite frames. I tried on one (it wasn''t even a true ballgown) and it did nothing for me.

Have you tried any gowns by Christos? I am petite and have a very small frame and found the mermaid styles looked great. I loved this one: Christos Alita and my fiance really wanted me to order it because it was his favorite. I am not a big fan of beading on me so I passed.

I also tried on several Monique Lhuillier lace sheaths but actually found them to be a bit too simple, so that may not be the direction you want to go in. The two I liked the most were the Monet and the Noel (almost ordered Noel)

I ended up with a Carolina Herrera lace mermaid. It is exactly what I wanted - different without adding any beading.

Good luck!
1.gif

hererralagown.jpg

marlie

Brilliant_Rock
Don''t be discouraged! You are gonig to find something great. Kleinfeld can be hit or miss I think. I feel like I didn''t get to see many things that were MY style and what i wanted b/c of the time restraint and the fact that they have a gazillion dresses. By the time we got on the right track, the appointment was nearly done. Maybe it''s worth a trip back now that you know more of what you are looking for? I tried on the Melissa Sweet Saffron and looooved i but decided it didn''t look right with the tone of the wedding. I''m petite also and I think it''s an extremely flattering cut! That was the only dress from POB that didn''t totally overwhelm me. Though I drool over all of the dresses there. GORGEOUS.

I ended up with a Selia Yang. Here is her website in case you are interested...www.seliayang.com. My dress is on the simpler side but she has a lot of lace dresses, interesting fabric design and you get to work with her directly which is nice.

My other suggestion would be to go to a Monique Lhuillier boutique. Her dresses definitely have the wow factor and I didn''t feel overwhelmed by fabric in them.

bigdiamondtinygal

Shiny_Rock
Labrat - That is so funny because I had the exact opposite experience. All I wanted was a sheath, trumpet or mermaid gown and they looked terrible on me. I am petite, slight and straight. All they did was make me look shorter and they were so unflattering. I was very much against a ball gown or any sort of fuller A-line skirt. They sales woman convinced me to try one on. They looked GREAT. They made me look tiny around the waist and like a doll. It somehow gave me the figure and shape the others didn''t.

For me, the lesson learned was to be open minded. What you think you want may or may not be right. But be open. You will find your dress Carats!!

Kellybell

Shiny_Rock
What about Monique Lhuillier''s Dolce? I saw a picture of it on a girl on another website and it is STUNNING. Classic and romantic, but not dull or boring at all.

Also, I wore a very simple mermaid dress for my wedding with just a little bit of lace, so I can understand your hesitation about buying a dress that is a little plain. At first I also resisted it because I thought it was too basic, but honestly, it was just "me." It fit beautifully, and was just classic and easy on my wedding day. Not to mention that I know I won''t look at my wedding photos in 20 years and think "oh, that is so 2009." Just my thoughts.
face1.gif
Good luck!

Monique122309.JPG

princessplease

Ideal_Rock

Don''t give up!!!! I know it''s hard to find the perfect dress, but the wait will be totally worth it!!!!!!

Here are a few:

Casablanca 1987- Not lace, but is very unique, and the bottom is SO lovely!
Linky

Casablanca 1983- Not lace, but WOW!!!!! Linky

Casablanca 1914- WOW Linky

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Alvina Valenta 9709

9709_x2.jpg

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Jim Hjelm 8715

8715_x1.jpg

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Don''t stress!! You just havn''t found the right one yet, and you will!!!!

What type of wedding are you having? Garden, church? When you close your eyes and daydream about your wedding, do you have any idea of what type of dress you are in? Flowy? Romantic? Chic?

Try narrowing down a tad and then go back to one or two salons and ask the SAs to put you in a dress that they recommend for your figure etc. I found this really helpful and you never know what they are going to come up with. Sometimes it''s good to have another persons opinion on what suits and flatters your body.

Just a suggestion though, good luck with your search and keep us updated!!!!

Carats

Shiny_Rock
So I''ve gone around to a bunch of places and I feel like as I try on more dresses, my taste is changing. I can definitely see the appeal of a simple, plain but sophisticated dress!! Before I thought I wanted a lot of beading but now I can see that if done improperly, beading can be really tacky. So far, I like Paloma Blanca, Alvina Valenta, Kenneth Pool, Amsale, and Priscilla. For some of these dresses, its hard to find stores that actually carry the specific one that I want.

Another issue is how the dress looks in pictures. For example I tried on Amsale''s Serena and loved it!! However, it doesn''t look spectacular in pictures. In fact the details are kinda lost on camera. Does anyone else feel this way? especially about simple dresses?

ilikesparkles

Rough_Rock
Hi Carats,

I''m pretty sure you and I are in the same boat, more or less. I have been having a heck of a time finding ''the dress''. I don''t think I have had my ''ah ha!'' moment, and I feel like I need to before buying something. I am small as well and have felt overwhelmed in many of the dresses I''ve tried on. I did just find a Paloma Blanca Style 3850 that I really liked. I plan to go back to the store I found it in and try it on again in a few days. I think I am learning at least that Paloma Blanca and Alvina Valenta seem to have the dresses I like the most...

Here is a link to my dress post from a few weeks ago (with a few pictures):

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/which-dress-do-you-prefer.131680/

Link

Good luck. I understand the challenge you are facing! :)

Erinleigh

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/22/2009 11:56:41 PM
Author: emeraldlover1
I''ll look at those dresses tomorrow and get back to you. I also started a thread on PW for you. Check it out. It''s called, help me help a friend with her wedding dress.

I have to ask... not sure if it can be shared here, but what''s ''PW''?

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2009 2:45:57 PM
Author: Erinleigh
Date: 12/22/2009 11:56:41 PM

Author: emeraldlover1

I have to ask... not sure if it can be shared here, but what''s ''PW''?

Pretty sure they''re talking about Project Wedding.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results