shape
carat
color
clarity

I need help! First time LGD buyer!

tkdc

Rough_Rock
Hi! I am in the market to purchase a LGD for an engagement ring. I have purchased diamonds from my family jeweller before so I am aware of the basic information about diamonds but I would like to pick out and purchase one on my own this time.
I have been checking various websites like Blue nile/James Allen etc but have been very overwhelmed with so many options.
I am hoping experts here could help me with the process. I just want to make sure I am choosing the best quality for the money.
I am looking for something within the criteria below:

Shape: Round Brilliant
Carat: 1.7-1.9ct
Color: D - F
Clarity: VS2 or VS1 (preferably VS1)
Cut: Highest Grade (Excellent/Ideal)
Budget: $3000 - 4500 usd (4000-6000 cad) I am located in BC, Canada.

All the expert recommendation is welcomed and appreciated.

Thank you!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi tkdc! Your budget can get you well over 2cts if you want it to. Here are some options in your size range for you to take a look at.

I also found some beautiful AGS0 stones with proven cut quality, but they come at a premium.

https://bglab.briangavindiamonds.co...ucts/1-787-f-vs1-bg-premium-lab-round-diamond

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello and welcome to PriceScope, tkdc!
You sure you don't want to go a bit bigger?
Please keep in mind how the diamond will look on the whole hand instead of the single finger.
Might be better to buy a bit bigger now, see it, then determine that you want to downsize a bit while in the return window than to kick yourself for not going a little bigger a few months after the return window closes. Food for thought...

Your budget is healthy enough for north of 2 carats in colorless range. :)

tkdc

Rough_Rock
Hello and welcome to PriceScope, tkdc!
You sure you don't want to go a bit bigger?
Please keep in mind how the diamond will look on the whole hand instead of the single finger.
Might be better to buy a bit bigger now, see it, then determine that you want to downsize a bit while in the return window than to kick yourself for not going a little bigger a few months after the return window closes. Food for thought...

Your budget is healthy enough for north of 2 carats in colorless range. :)

Hi DejaWiz, thank you for your response. My gf thought 2ct looked way to big since she's very small (ring size 3-3.5), but I definitely understand what you are saying. I am very much open to the 2ct if there are good options available.

tkdc

Rough_Rock
Hi tkdc! Your budget can get you well over 2cts if you want it to. Here are some options in your size range for you to take a look at.

I also found some beautiful AGS0 stones with proven cut quality, but they come at a premium.

https://bglab.briangavindiamonds.co...ucts/1-787-f-vs1-bg-premium-lab-round-diamond

Hi, Kim N. Thank you for your response. I am definitely open to the 2ct option if it falls within my price range. Thank you for the recommendations.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, Kim N. Thank you for your response. I am definitely open to the 2ct option if it falls within my price range. Thank you for the recommendations.

Here are a couple of 2ct options.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I got my diamond from Gem Jewelers Co, they offer high-quality diamonds and have a vast selection of styles. They are definitely the place to go if you want your money to be worth it. Their customer service is also extraordinarily helpful, so you can rest assured that any questions or concerns you have will be addressed quickly and professionally.

Self-promotion is against PS forum rules.

tkdc

Rough_Rock
Self-promotion is against PS forum rules.

Thanks DejaWiz. Definitely sounded like a self-promotion. I was gonna purchase the 2.10ct you guys recommended when I came back from my vacay but saw that price jumped significantly. I am guessing its because of Valentines day.

What are some things to look for when Im searching for Lab diamonds myself how to determine if they are a quality diamond? So far Ive been going off by diamond-proportions info on pricescope. Thank you

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks DejaWiz. Definitely sounded like a self-promotion. I was gonna purchase the 2.10ct you guys recommended when I came back from my vacay but saw that price jumped significantly. I am guessing its because of Valentines day.

What are some things to look for when Im searching for Lab diamonds myself how to determine if they are a quality diamond? So far Ive been going off by diamond-proportions info on pricescope. Thank you

You could start with this search and manually filter for crown angles of 34-35 and pavilion angles of 40.6-40.9.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
I was gonna purchase the 2.10ct you guys recommended when I came back from my vacay but saw that price jumped significantly. I am guessing its because of Valentines day.

I think someone wrote recently that Ritani will honor their previous price if you call them. Maybe you took a screenshot of the previous price? Or maybe you just call and say, “I was interested at xxx price,” and they might have evidence of that price in their system? Worth a shot if you’re really interested!

tkdc

Rough_Rock
That 2.10 looks great, Kim N!

Hey DejaWiz,

I have decided I am going to go with the 2-2.1ct as my engagement ring. I forgot to save the one the recommended by Kim N and seems to be unavailable anymore. Could I get any recommendations for a 2-2.1ct diamond please.
Much appreciate the help. It's been a very overwhelming process haha.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hey DejaWiz,

I have decided I am going to go with the 2-2.1ct as my engagement ring. I forgot to save the one the recommended by Kim N and seems to be unavailable anymore. Could I get any recommendations for a 2-2.1ct diamond please.

Hello, tkdc!
Sure thing! Make a new thread with what your looking in regards to color range, clarity, and price cap then we'll find you "the one"!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
@tkdc nevermind about the new thread...I'll just post in here. :)

Does the original criteria still stand, or have you made any adjustments to color, budget, etc?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey DejaWiz,

Here you go!

tkdc

Rough_Rock
@tkdc nevermind about the new thread...I'll just post in here. :)

Does the original criteria still stand, or have you made any adjustments to color, budget, etc?

The other criteria is staying the same!
Color: D
Clarity: VS1 (preferably VS1)
Cut: Highest Grade (Excellent/Ideal)
Budget: $3400 usd (~4500 cad)

Thank you!

tkdc

Rough_Rock
I preferably would like to keep the cost under 4000 CAD/3000 USD. I am not sure if the sudden surge of price is due to valentines but my plan is put couple on hold and see if price drops if not I will just purchase.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I preferably would like to keep the cost under 4000 CAD/3000 USD. I am not sure if the sudden surge of price is due to valentines but my plan is put couple on hold and see if price drops if not I will just purchase.

If you arent buying now then wait to get suggestions. We have tons of lurkers who buy the stones we recommend. So I'd wait until youre ready and then ask for specific stone ideas :)

tkdc

Rough_Rock
If you arent buying now then wait to get suggestions. We have tons of lurkers who buy the stones we recommend. So I'd wait until youre ready and then ask for specific stone ideas :)

I am planning on buying asap. so suggestions are more than welcome. Thank you

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am planning on buying asap. so suggestions are more than welcome. Thank you

I recommend putting the ones I suggested yesterday on hold if you haven't already.

tkdc

Rough_Rock
I recommend putting the ones I suggested yesterday on hold if you haven't already.

newb question.. how do i put them on hold? do i have to email them?

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
On their website. You can call. I think that would be the best.

tkdc

Rough_Rock
Finally decided on a diamond. Here are the specs and the 360loop video. Please let me know if it looks like a good choice.
2.09ct, E, VVS2, Depth 61.0%, Table 57%

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Finally decided on a diamond. Here are the specs and the 360loop video. Please let me know if it looks like a good choice.
2.09ct, E, VVS2, Depth 61.0%, Table 57%

It's not a bad diamond, but it has a bit of an uneven pavilion.

Check out this one instead.

tkdc

Rough_Rock
this is why i need to ask the pros! thank you. how can you tell the uneven pavilion?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
this is why i need to ask the pros! thank you. how can you tell the uneven pavilion?

When the diamond is centered in the video, you can see black triangles between the arrow bases, especially around the 4:00, 5:00, 8:00 positions.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

tkdc

Rough_Rock
Yes I made the purchase! Can't wait to see it. How does the diamond look to you DejaWiz? Both you and Kim N been so helpful. thank you!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Yes I made the purchase! Can't wait to see it. How does the diamond look to you DejaWiz? Both you and Kim N been so helpful. thank you!

bruce-almighty-jim-carrey.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results