shape
carat
color
clarity

I need help! Deciding between a cushion cut and a princess cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LuvPugs

Rough_Rock
My BF has asked me what kind of ring I would want. At first, I had decided I wanted the Ritani endless love setting without the halo. Problem is, I can''t decide between a princess cut or a cushion cut. Any info is GREATLY appreciated! Which cut do you like best? Can you even get the endless love setting with a cushion cut?? (I''m such a rookie...I''m sorry!) THANKS!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I prefer cushion cuts as they appear to be more fluid and classic, while princess cuts are more streamlined and modern. It''s all about personal preference, which do you lean more towards?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love them both. I use to want a pincess cut; It turns out it did not look good on my fingers. I love them, but I suggest trying it on to see how it looks on you. Cushions look like EC and I love that about them. Have fun trying on rings!!!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Definitely a cushion! And yes, you just have to find a dealer willing to sell you the setting only. Some places won't (they claim you have to buy it with a Ritani diamond in it) but when I had my Ritani Halo phase, I found a couple of places that would sell the setting separately. I don't remember their names, but a search on PS might give you a couple of resources!

p.s. I love pugs too!
9.gif

LuvPugs

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your opinions! Before I came on ps, I didn''t even know a cushion cut existed. Do you think it would look okay with the endless love setting?

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
I agree that the cushion would be a bit better, but before giving the final go ahead...spend a good deal of time trying both on. Read up about the shapes (i.e. light refr., depth, etc)...and then try and find stones in the Ritani or similar setting.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/2/2007 10:52:43 PM
Author: LuvPugs
Thank you for your opinions! Before I came on ps, I didn't even know a cushion cut existed. Do you think it would look okay with the endless love setting?

Absolutely! But just know that cushions come in different shapes. Some are long and more oval-ish (like the one diamondseeker2006 posted) and some are "fatter" (squattier), like a princess but rounder. Mark at engagementringsdirect.com is an awesome, friendly and knowledgeable dealer when it comes to cushions...I'd recommend asking him about what would be best (depending on what you're looking for).

ETA: If you like the square look but want something different, Good Old Gold carries Cut Corner Square Brilliants:

Cut Corner Square Brilliant

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I may not be the right person to ask since I am NOT a princess cut lover, never have been and never will be. To me a cushion is softer, more elegant. But that said, I know they are hard to find and personally I only like the truly cushion shaped cushions...

Adylon

Shiny_Rock
What size are you looking to get? :) I think cushions look great over a carat... I prefer princess shape under 1ct. I also prefer cushions that are more rectagular then rounded. Some have softer corners then others. If you tell him you want a cushion cut you could end up getting something more oval instead, just something to be aware of. Good luck.

LuvPugs

Rough_Rock
We were looking around 1.5 carats, but I am open to a little smaller and a little bigger (he he!).

I like the cushion cuts that are more long (is that even a real phrase?) and oval.

LuvPugs

Rough_Rock
How would you describe a cushion cut diamond? In terms of shape, I mean. I really like the round edges of the cushion cut, but I called it oval. I definitely don''t think thats right!

P.S. Thank you all for your help! I feel so much better about the cushion cut!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
to me, a cushion looks like a cushion on a chair seat...basically a square shape, but softer, with rounded not sharp corners...

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hi Luvpugs-

You should watch the interview with Mark (of Engagement Rings Direct) on the home page of PS...in the interview he talks all about cushions- the types, what to look for, etc....it''s really thorough and informative. I sent the link to my best friend who is considering a cushion, and she thought it was great and explained a lot...This way, you can start educating yourself if you are really interested in purchasing a diamond...

Personally, I LOVE pillowy-shaped cushions, I think they are fabulous, and it would look even more fab in that Ritani setting, which is one of my favorite settings ever! I just adore that thin pave band-look. I have never cared for princess cuts at all...but that is just my personal preference. If you want something more squarish, I do think that those cut-cornered square brilliants from GOG are very pretty too! But, you have to pick what you like!
2.gif

I definitely suggested reading up and educating yourself as much as you can, and when you are ready, you should call Mark at ERD...he is in NYC and has access to TONS of diamonds, and he sure does know how to pick the best ones!
30.gif
We bought from him and he is just wonderful to work with!

Good luck, and let us know what you decide!
36.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Try to educate yourself..., cushions come in thousands of different shapes, outlines.
The most important decision is a cushion is its faceting arrangement!!!!

There are loads of faceting arrangements used to cut and polish cushions...
Once you are set on the type of face-up appearance you prefer, you will know you are heading in the right direction...

Good luck,

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/2/2007 10:31:50 PM
Author:LuvPugs
My BF has asked me what kind of ring I would want. At first, I had decided I wanted the Ritani endless love setting without the halo. Problem is, I can''t decide between a princess cut or a cushion cut. Any info is GREATLY appreciated! Which cut do you like best? Can you even get the endless love setting with a cushion cut?? (I''m such a rookie...I''m sorry!) THANKS!
I''m the owner of a cushion so you know where my preference lies, - but its my preference. Honestly if I were going to send a man out into the wilderness I''d probably not go with the cushion.... thereare SOOOOOO many variables there, princess shopping is much easier - they even have ags000 sorts at whiteflash.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/2/2007 11:06:06 PM
Author: diamondfan
I may not be the right person to ask since I am NOT a princess cut lover, never have been and never will be. To me a cushion is softer, more elegant. But that said, I know they are hard to find and personally I only like the truly cushion shaped cushions...
what do you consider a truly cushion shaped cushion? A square? To me they shouldn''t be square.... I think mine is a bit on the long side but I think 1.15-1.18 ratio is perfect for a cushion.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/2/2007 11:20:50 PM
Author: LuvPugs
We were looking around 1.5 carats, but I am open to a little smaller and a little bigger (he he!).

I like the cushion cuts that are more long (is that even a real phrase?) and oval.
I can''t resist... apologies in advance.... the term you''re looking for is "longer" hehehehehe :D Have you considered getting an oval stone? YOu get way more face up boom in those!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/2/2007 11:38:48 PM
to me, a cushion looks like a cushion on a chair seat...basically a square shape, but softer, with rounded not sharp corners...
I was right! To me they look like a pillow which is longer. agree on the corners

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
I would definately pick the cushion cut!! Both are pretty, but the princess to me looks too, well, for lack of a better word..."square". I just don''t like the sharp corners. If you wanted to be different, I''d for sure pick the cushion, since the princess seems to be the rage right now. Good Luck!!!!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cehra, I cannot quite explain it, it is not a true square, but it is 4 more or less equal sides, that are bowed out instead of being straigh, if that makes sense...and the corners are not sharp... Sort of imagine taking a piece a string and laying it out east west, and then arcing it out northward a little...

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2007 8:15:50 PM
Cehra, I cannot quite explain it, it is not a true square, but it is 4 more or less equal sides, that are bowed out instead of being straigh, if that makes sense...and the corners are not sharp... Sort of imagine taking a piece a string and laying it out east west, and then arcing it out northward a little...
LOL! The rounded corners are a given for a cushion! When I said "square" I meant all 4 sides are equal 1:1 ratio. My stone is a 1.26:1 ratio but I think the most classic ratio is about 1.15:1

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like both, but would choose a cushion. Do a search on here, just type in cusion, many threads with pics will come up!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2007 8:25:58 PM
Author: Ellen
I like both, but would choose a cushion. Do a search on here, just type in cusion, many threads with pics will come up!
isn''t it amazing how many there are on PS when I sat and called 12 stores in the phone book here and one place had any - several places either didn''t have them or had never HEARD of them!!! I think they''re rising in popularity though, I did see one just the other day at BBB - it was a 1.6 in a halo with the quad type cut that is my 2nd favorite :)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2007 8:50:52 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

isn''t it amazing how many there are on PS when I sat and called 12 stores in the phone book here and one place had any - several places either didn''t have them or had never HEARD of them!!! I think they''re rising in popularity though, I did see one just the other day at BBB - it was a 1.6 in a halo with the quad type cut that is my 2nd favorite :)
When I was looking at B&M''s, I found one store who not only had several, but the sales gal was REALLY pushing me to buy one.

The others didn''t have any, or had 1. Like what good is THAT gonna do ya?

I''m surprised there isn''t a cushion thread here, or maybe there is and I missed it?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2007 8:55:10 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 1/3/2007 8:50:52 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

When I was looking at B&M''s, I found one store who not only had several, but the sales gal was REALLY pushing me to buy one.

The others didn''t have any, or had 1. Like what good is THAT gonna do ya?

I''m surprised there isn''t a cushion thread here, or maybe there is and I missed it?
I don''t think so - why you gonna start one? Yikes!! I better get a setting soon!! lol

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results