shape
carat
color
clarity

I need advice on shipping from Australia to the US

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has anyone had an item shipped from AUS to the US? If so, what is the risk of listing the full purchase price for custom claims and will there be a duty tax? Is it safer to only disclose a small amount of the value? Should I have the seller insure for the full purchase?

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
I let Doug take care of it, I didn't pay any duty.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooo~Shiney!|1305340594|2921392 said:
He is asking how I want to do it. He feels somewhat uncomfortable listing the full purchase amount with concerns that it may throw up a red flag.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I asked this same question when I bought something from Doug and here is what Joshua at Serenity Diamonds wrote:

In most cases, there are no duties or taxes for the import of polished loose gemstones or diamonds into the US. On Rubies, there is a very strong trade restriction in effect that requires documentation of specifically where it was mined. This is to prevent people from smuggling gems from Myanmar (Burma).

US Customs Document on that subject:
http://www.usitc.gov/publications/docs/tata/hts/bychapter/1000C71.pdf

I've found it's always best to declare correctly. First, if you're found not to be declaring properly they will confiscate your item, and seeing as there's no duty that's quite a risk. Second, insured packages that are lost are easier to replace with the proper contents declared inside.

--Joshua

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
bright ice|1305341331|2921397 said:
ooo~Shiney!|1305340594|2921392 said:
He is asking how I want to do it. He feels somewhat uncomfortable listing the full purchase amount with concerns that it may throw up a red flag.

Oh, I see..... UGH, I wouldn't know how to go about it...
Hmmmm, hey I know, a trip to Australia !!!!
I bet it's nice there right now :sun:

( jk. I see your dilemma, even though it's a nice dilemma to have, really :)) )

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
herekittykitty|1305341632|2921407 said:
I asked this same question when I bought something from Doug and here is what Joshua at Serenity Diamonds wrote:

In most cases, there are no duties or taxes for the import of polished loose gemstones or diamonds into the US. On Rubies, there is a very strong trade restriction in effect that requires documentation of specifically where it was mined. This is to prevent people from smuggling gems from Myanmar (Burma).

US Customs Document on that subject:
http://www.usitc.gov/publications/docs/tata/hts/bychapter/1000C71.pdf

I've found it's always best to declare correctly. First, if you're found not to be declaring properly they will confiscate your item, and seeing as there's no duty that's quite a risk. Second, insured packages that are lost are easier to replace with the proper contents declared inside.

--Joshua

Thanks herekittykitty. I would feel much better knowing that everything is documented appropriately with no chance of the gem being held and with insurance just incase of the worst.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Remember bright ice, we need to see lots of pictures!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
herekittykitty|1305382941|2921671 said:
Remember bright ice, we need to see lots of pictures!

Sure thing herekittykitty.

He is shipping it out on Monday! I will do a photo shoot as soon as I get it.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Make sure he provides whatever documentation he can showing that it is a spinel and not a ruby. I have read stories on PS about folks who've had stones held up because customs wouldn't believe it wasn't a ruby...

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1305399580|2921835 said:
Make sure he provides whatever documentation he can showing that it is a spinel and not a ruby. I have read stories on PS about folks who've had stones held up because customs wouldn't believe it wasn't a ruby...

Absolutely will do.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results