shape
carat
color
clarity

I messed up...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
Ugh.

Several months ago, my husband bought me a gorgeous channel set anniversary band in honor of our 10th anniversary. I selected the band. It was 14K YG to match my 14K YG four-prong solitaire. The band had 10 small (2mm) diamonds for .50tcw. While it looked gorgeous, the truth was that for many years, I had wanted to change my set to a white metal from the yellow. I never mentioned it to my husband as I did not want to hurt his feelings.

That would be Mess-Up #1.

Alas, I finally expressed my desire to change to white metal after he gave me the band. And he told me "hey honey, they are your rings... do what you want!"

So, I went back to the jeweler who sold my husband the band. He exchanged the band for the WG version. Which I thought was a very above-and-beyond thing to do. Then, he arranged to reset my solitaire into a WG six-prong Tiffany rep. Whoo hoo I thought. I am finally going to have that white metal set I have wished for.

Two weeks went by and I did not hear from the jeweler. So, I call. He tells me that the six-prong Tiffany rep that he showed me is actually palladium, not WG, and that they are waiting on the palladium. I asked how the palladium would look with the WG and he said no difference. Even though I wondered if this was accurate, I said sounds good, go ahead.

That would be Mess-Up #2.

I have now had the rings for a week. And I love, love, love the palladium setting. I have complete palladiumania (please note that I had been wearing YG for over 10 years!). As such, the difference between the WG and the palladium is leaping out at me constantly. I am not sure if this is because I am looking for the difference, if this is because I know the rings are made out of different metals, or if there really is a glaring difference. Or all three.

The bottom line is that it is bothering me. I actually like the palladium much better than the WG. The palladium is a nice grey while the WG is warmer. To my eye, the WG looks yellow next to the palladium. I am feeling really stupid because I should not have agreed to two different metals. But at the same time, I have now discovered palladium.

I would really like to have an anniversary band that matches my solitaire. But I am not sure of the best course of action. A few thoughts I had:

1. Go back to the jeweler and see what he will do. Although, I am feeling kinda stupid. First the guy exchanges the YG band to WG. Then, he does the palladium with my go ahead. I really don''t see where he needs to do me any favors.

2. Have the band reset into palladium. I have had one quote done and I am waiting on another. The one quote was $800. Ugh. For that price or a little bit more, I could get a new one.

3. Consign the band and get a new one. I was thinking that I could contact Pearlmans and see what, if anything, could be done. I would take a hit. But maybe not as bad as with option #2.

Are there any additional options that I am not considering? What do you guys think would be the best way to go? I really don''t want to go for Mess-Up #3.

Feeling sincerely stupid,

Joolskie

40.gif

rjdodd

Shiny_Rock
You could just have them all replated with rhodium - then they should all look the same I think.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
don''t be so hard on yourself joolskie. it sounds like your jeweler is a really reasonable guy. i would just go in and talk to him.... let him know your thoughts, see what he suggests and then go from there. i''m sure you will find a solution that you can be happy with.

best of luck!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with belle. I think your jeweler would be very understanding and probably willing to work with you. Maybe he''d even take your WG band as a trade toward the palladium one.

ebonykawai

Shiny_Rock
I would absolutely go to the jeweler and say "Although you said I wouldn''t notice a difference in the metals, I do and it''s bothering me, so can I have the band re-set in palladium please?"

You''re the one that needs to be happy with your set, and you deserve to love it! I''ve finally gotten over my "I''m-being-too-high-maintenance" thing with jewelers. I''m paying them, after all. There''s nothing wrong with getting exactly what you want.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. Go talk to the jeweler. He said you wouldn''t see a difference and you do. Make it very positive. He''s introduced you to a new metal that you love. I''m sure he wants to keep you as a customer. Maybe you''ll buy a RHR from him in the future.

If you can''t work something out with your jeweler then consider the other options.

Don''t be so hard on yourself. At least you''ve realized what you want and it hasn''t taken years. These are rings you wear everyday. Do what you must to make yourself happy.

Just my 2 cents HTH

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
You''re talking about a WG, diamond band. Many women purchase WG, diamond bands. That''s something the jeweler can polish up, put out in the case, and sell to another customer.

And as Ebony said,.......... The jeweler told you it would work. It''s not working for you. You see a difference that you are not happy with.

Seems like the Jeweler has been easy to work with so far. Can''t hurt to try.

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much everyone. Sometimes it really helps to hear what other people have to say. I am going to approach the jeweler. Unfortunately, we are currently still digging out from snow. The jeweler is not answering his phone. It is a small, family owned business so they may not even be in today. We got smacked pretty hard with snow and ice.

I''ll keep you posted... and thanks again for the sanity check.

19.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2007 4:13:30 PM
Author: Joolskie
Thanks so much everyone. Sometimes it really helps to hear what other people have to say. I am going to approach the jeweler. Unfortunately, we are currently still digging out from snow. The jeweler is not answering his phone. It is a small, family owned business so they may not even be in today. We got smacked pretty hard with snow and ice.

I''ll keep you posted... and thanks again for the sanity check.

19.gif
As long as you are nice about this, I don''t think there is anything wrong about approaching the jeweler to discuss changing the wedding band to palladium. As someone above mentioned...if you want a quick fix, palladium can be rhodium plated. However, you discussed liking the color of the palladium the best so this may not be the best option for you.

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
UPDATE!

Again, you guys are great. I spoke with the manager of the shop this morning. I was very positive and explained that he had created a palladium monster. He said returning the WG band is not a problem at all. As it turns out, the same company made both the palladium solitaire setting and the WG channel setting. So, the manager is going to make some calls to find out if he can get a palladium version of the channel setting. As it is Friday, we might not know until sometime next week.

I have to say that this small, family owned jewelry shop is officially at the top of my favorites list.

1.gif

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like a super place. What state are they in?

ayala_jessica

Shiny_Rock
I am very happy that your jeweller is understanding and ready to help you find your dream set which I am sure you''ll get. Please, keep us informed and post pics once you get it
1.gif

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
ANOTHER UPDATE!!

Looks like we didn''t have to wait too long. The manager just called me back. He spoke with the company and they can do the same channel setting in palladium! So, I am going to exchange the 14k WG band for the palladium band. The palladium is a little bit more expensive, about $200. Which ain''t too bad considering platinum would be much, much more.

And to answer the location question... the shop is in Pennsylvania... land of snow, ice and massive turnpike shut downs.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2007 1:23:56 PM
Author: Joolskie
ANOTHER UPDATE!!

Looks like we didn''t have to wait too long. The manager just called me back. He spoke with the company and they can do the same channel setting in palladium! So, I am going to exchange the 14k WG band for the palladium band. The palladium is a little bit more expensive, about $200. Which ain''t too bad considering platinum would be much, much more.

And to answer the location question... the shop is in Pennsylvania... land of snow, ice and massive turnpike shut downs.
That''s great news!!! I heard those poor people there were stuck in their cars for 20+ hours...
32.gif

ebonykawai

Shiny_Rock
That''s awesome, YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Sounds wonderful!! Looking forward to pics of your new wedding set!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results