shape
carat
color
clarity

I loved my ex''s Scott Keating e-ring. Help! I don''t like any other rings.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sarsena

Rough_Rock
I just found this site today and was hoping that I could get some help. (I''m home sick today and have spent all day surfing the web to find another ring that I like - what a silly girl!)

My ex-fiance broke up with me over a year ago and I gave him the engagement ring back so that I could have him completely out of my life. At the time we got engaged, we had spent months searching for a perfect ring. I fell in love with Scott Keating once I saw his bridal collection - the ring looks traditional from the top but when you look from the side- the square shank is a bit quirky - and I absolutely love the point diamonds in the 4 corners. The ring was a little quirky (like my personality :) The ex chose the 3 diamond setting because I only wanted a solitaire diamond.

Since that time I have met this absolutely wonderful man who has been talking about getting engaged. I have accepted a job in another state and will be moving in 3 months. The new man is talking about going ring shopping and getting engaged before I leave and then he plans to search for a job in that area and move in a year or so.

My problem is this- I''ve spent all day looking for engagement rings and I just haven''t found anything that sparks my interest the way that the Scott Keating ring did. I don''t want to get the same designer because I don''t want my current beau/future husband to ever think of the ex (and I don''t want to think of the ex either).

Does anyone have any suggestions on other designers - something that isn''t too far out there, but has some character and uniqueness to it? The square style was nice because the ring stayed upright on my finger, but I don''t have my heart set on the square shank.

I do like the look of tension rings as well- but I am worried that they will go out of style and since I am active, I''m nervous that I could loose the diamond.

Thanks so much to everyone who reads this!
1.gif

engagement ring4.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I believe Mark Schneider also does squared off shanks - his rings are also modern but classic.

rogeshoe57

Rough_Rock
Wow those are really nice setting designs on pearlman. The Scott Keating is awesome too.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Scott Keating has some very beautiful designs, I can see why you love his style. You said that your ex chose the three stone setting but you wanted the solitaire? Why not go with one of his solitaire designs then? Just because your ex and you did not work out doesn''t mean that you should not have the ring of your dreams now that you have found Mr. Right.

Muss

Shiny_Rock
I do like the look of tension rings as well- but I am worried that they will go out of style and since I am active, I''m nervous that I could loose the diamond.

From everything I have read tension setting are as strong, if not stronger, than prongs. You have got 11000 pounds of force holding that sucker in place. If you do a search you will find a lot of good post, including people that own and love them.
Good luck in your search

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hi sarsena!

have you seen jeff cooper''s designs http://www.jeffcooperdesigns.com/

i understand why you wouldn''t want to get the same designer as you had with your ex-fiance, but i also feel sad you know what you love and feel it''s now out of reach! what about having mark at ERD or whiteflash make you a custom band based on the scott keating ''look'', but with some personal touches/changes to make it different?

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/17/2008 10:20:19 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
This is the most beautiful tension set diamond I''ve ever seen... Click me :)

*eta, I think its timeless.
Ditto!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2008 10:00:13 PM
Author: sarsena
Thanks guys! I do like those A Jaffe rings (although I do prefer square stones - princess or radiant to round) and Mark Schneider was very nice.
Keep in mind that they are just settings. You can put any shape diamond in there--round, square, cut-corner, heart, marquise. It just requires adjustment to the head.

Vote4PedroToo

Shiny_Rock
<Date: 4/18/2008 9:40:39 AM
Author: LegacyGirl

Date: 4/17/2008 10:20:19 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
This is the most beautiful tension set diamond I've ever seen... Click me :)

*eta, I think its timeless.
Ditto!

Honest to pete, I think the diamond really owns this setting. It simply looks placed and floating.. I love how it simply pops. Did I mention how beautiful I think this is? LOL

First of all, you are talking about MY ring. So thanks ladies so much. I love it too, but that was an awfully nice compliment. Second of all, I agree that some tension set rings could get "dated". But not all of them. I feel like mine is simple enough to remain a classic.
Second, I appreciate your perdiciment. I wish I had some stellar advice for you. If you do go with a Tension, go with Niessing or Kretchmer (IMO). Your diamond will be safe in those suckers. Good luck to you. I am curious what you decide to do.
Best, and Thanks again for the nice compliment. I think you made my fiance's life with those.
~T

P.S.
Stuart Moore has some beautiful, chunky modern designs that are still very simple. Be sure you click on his designs first. There is also a link on that site of other cool designers.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I just took a look at the Scott Keating site, and I think those rings are amazing.

Frankly, if you love Scott Keating, you love Scott Keating. Personally, as long as it is a different design, I''d be thrilled to wear another Scott Keating ring. I think any other designers would be a compromise for you.

Please reconsider saying the designer is out of reach. Those rings are simply too wonderful to give up just because of a failed engagement. You ex should not have that kind of power over you now. I''d encourage you to pick out a new beauty together with your new guy and move on!
36.gif

cectra79

Shiny_Rock
I''m looking for a very similar design, and I just discovered A Jaffe 71II1. I think I''m going to get it if I can figure out little details with setting the stone.

Also, check out Claude Thibaudeau, he does the euro shank design but you would have to get it through an authorised dealer. That was my first ER, and I fell in love with the euro shank.

Good luck!

sarsena

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone! We went up to New Hampshire last weekend (it was a planned trip but we made two stop offs at jewelers to look around). I didn''t fall for the A Jaffe, but I did like the Mark Schneider collection, but unfortunately they didn''t have the one that I really did like.

We are planning a trip to NYC this weekend to visit some places and catch a show in the evening. Planning on checking out MaeVona, more Mark Schneider, Niwaka and Stuart Moore.

I really appreciate everyone''s suggestions and comments. Maybe I''ll end up back with a Scott Keating. I still love his design!

sarsena

Rough_Rock
So it''s a bit of a toss up at the moment. We went into NYC this past weekend and saw some of the rings I''ve been looking at online. I think that the MaeVona is slightly ahead (does anyone have experience with MaeVona?). The one concern is that it doesn''t have the Euroshank (which I do like). I like the diagonal of the diamond- unusual to see a square diamond set on a diagonal- but can anyone comment on whether it is more prone to chipping (it does have the L prongs in the corners and we are thinking of a radiant diamond instead of a princess).

http://www.michaelcfina.com/ic/mcfina/sections/wedding_engagement_rings/engagement_rings/maevona_engagement_rings/:product/code/PL0728CANN0014.html?block=1

Below is Mark Schneider (it has the Euroshank and some hidden side diamonds)!
http://www.markschneiderdesign.com/detail.asp?recid=3&ringname=Inspire

What do you all think? These rings both have completely different appeals to me- but I do like both of them!

Does anyone have additional suggestions on where I should look (designers to look at).

Thanks!

Ms.Lola

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/28/2008 8:41:18 AM
So it''s a bit of a toss up at the moment. We went into NYC this past weekend and saw some of the rings I''ve been looking at online. I think that the MaeVona is slightly ahead (does anyone have experience with MaeVona?). The one concern is that it doesn''t have the Euroshank (which I do like). I like the diagonal of the diamond- unusual to see a square diamond set on a diagonal- but can anyone comment on whether it is more prone to chipping (it does have the L prongs in the corners and we are thinking of a radiant diamond instead of a princess).

http://www.michaelcfina.com/ic/mcfina/sections/wedding_engagement_rings/engagement_rings/maevona_engagement_rings/:product/code/PL0728CANN0014.html?block=1

Below is Mark Schneider (it has the Euroshank and some hidden side diamonds)!
http://www.markschneiderdesign.com/detail.asp?recid=3&ringname=Inspire

What do you all think? These rings both have completely different appeals to me- but I do like both of them!

Does anyone have additional suggestions on where I should look (designers to look at).

Thanks!
Oh, I''m sorry I saw this post *after* you came to NYC. I was going to recommend a jewelry store in SoHo that has truly fabulous, unique e-rings that it seems like you might like. It''s called STUart Jewelry Designs (different from Stuart Moore!) and it''s really worth checking out in person, cuz a lot of the stuff in the store isn''t on the website (like the ring I''ve been eyeing in the store window that I walk past every few weeks.
2.gif
). I thought you''d like it since the designer works with a lot of funky shaped rings, and uniquely placed diamonds. But he also does more traditional stuff too. Anyway, here is the website: http://www.stuartjewelrydesigns.com/ . HTH!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not quite what you''re looking for but this one on signed pieces has an interesting design. You may want to see if you can find the designers website if you''re interested. Signed Pieces link

Kath1609

Rough_Rock
Both of those settings are gorgeous! The only concern I''d have is how easy it would be to fit a wedding band with the first ring. Will it have to be custom made, or will a band slide next to it, under the head of the ring?

ydiamonds

Rough_Rock
Why not take the features you like from each designer and combine them in a custom ring? It could be cheaper than buying a designer ring too. I looked at many of the same designers you did. None of them was "just right" and I ended up with a Whiteflash custom ring with a radiant center and Euroshank.

sarsena

Rough_Rock
Ydiamonds,
Do you have any photos of your custom ring? I think my boyfriend is a little bit nervous about the whole process. He is wary about getting something custom made (part of that might be the length of time it takes to design and revamp and make - I think that he would like to propose before I move in early August). But I think that he is mostly nervous that a custom ring won''t really turn out exactly right and I''ll be disapointed. He is such a sweetheart!

I am telling him that I am backing out of the decision making process at this point (I showed him what I liked for styles, etc.) but I think that he would prefer if I absolutely "fell in love" with a ring so he could feel really confident about purchasing it. I know that he read my post and was a little bit hurt when I said that I haven''t really liked any of the designs besides Scott Keating.

Kath1609
The MaeVona has a pretty little delicate band that matches up perfectly with the e-ring and would look sweet wearing alone (it has a small diamond- 0.1 carat?). It is also a much more delicate ring than the Mark Schneider. I have small hands- 4.5 ring size.
I''m attaching an image of a similar MaeVona ring with the wedding band.

Thanks guys for all of your help. I really appreciate it. I''m spending WAY too much time researching this stuff!

I think we might go to Boston this weekend- Can anyone suggest any places in the Boston area to visit?

Maevona-Lismore-set.jpg

sarsena

Rough_Rock
Addy,
Now I am regretting that we didn''t have time to get to Stuart Moore''s place in NYC when I was there (don''t think that we will make it back anytime soon). I do like that piece...

What to do. I''m driving myself crazy looking at rings!

Vote4PedroToo

Shiny_Rock
I like the ones you found a lot. I do wish that you got into Stuart Moore. There is a 3 stone ring #8 in his gallery view on his site that would look great and to me has a similar feel to your initial design. It also looks so cool from the side, which you can''t see. It''s hard to imagine because he has a blue stone in the middle too. I tried on a bunch of his rings before I found my ring. I actually tried on a Niessing there, but they didn''t have the one I ended up getting.
I agree, though. If you love Scott Keating, just go for it. Don''t be superstitious. you know? Good luck. I am sort of into watching out what you decide to go for.
~T

ydiamonds

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/29/2008 12:46:31 AM
Ydiamonds,

Do you have any photos of your custom ring? I think my boyfriend is a little bit nervous about the whole process. He is wary about getting something custom made (part of that might be the length of time it takes to design and revamp and make - I think that he would like to propose before I move in early August). But I think that he is mostly nervous that a custom ring won''t really turn out exactly right and I''ll be disapointed. He is such a sweetheart!

I''m sure that if you tell the vendor what you like, they''ll come up with a design for you. You have to approve the CAD drawing before your ring is made anyway so you can make changes. I was a bit worried too, because the CAD didn''t show exactly what I had in mind, and the finished product was slightly different, but overall I''m very happy and love my ring. It''s not absolutely perfect, but it''s still better than any other stock ring I had seen, including designer rings, and the flaws are minor. As for timing, I think it only took WF a few weeks to make my ring once I paid for the diamond. It took longer to find the center stone than to make the ring, but I''m sure the vendors here can find you a great radiant.

sarsena

Rough_Rock
Hi all!
Weekend update...

Went to Boston this past weekend: Long''s, Persona, 333, 387 Washington (Jeweler''s buildings - which were very eerie on the weekend as the majority of the stores were closed, but we did go into some - Joseph Gann and others). Nothing really stood out... Which means that we are thinking of taking Friday off from work and heading back to NYC where it seems the more creative designers are. I''d really like to see Stuart Moore and STUart.

What does happen in EVERY store we go into- is that we say that we aren''t really all that interested in the designs that they have available and they mention that they have the most fantastic jeweller onsite who can make whatever ring we want. Then we listen to the sales pitch for a bit and my BF leaves his card.

My BF doesn''t feel comfortable working with a vendor online (maybe that will change as he becomes more informed). And he wasn''t all that interested in custom designing a ring... But that may end up being the route that we take. In Boston we met with Serjeo (in the jeweller''s building) and discussed a custom ring. I haven''t been able to find any reviews here on priceline but there were some "glowing" reviews elsewhere. BF felt really comfortable with him and for the first time even considered a custom design. I was a bit more skeptic as he didn''t have many designs for show in his storefront and when I asked to see a portfolio he only showed us the photos that were available on his website, despite being in the business for 20 years. We did like the idea of meeting directly with the designer.

At the moment, MaeVona is really my choice for ring (Mom approves), but the only site they have in the Northeast is at Michael C. Fina in NYC and I think that their diamonds are quite expensive (Hearts on Fire). I don''t know the official status because I am staying out of the $$ end of things, but that is the impression I have gotten from my man.

Vote4PedroToo - I do like the look of the Whitney Boin, we are planning on visiting a jeweler here in Hartford area during the week this week. Thanks for your suggestion!

So two questions for you all (ok- maybe 3):

1. Anyone have any experiences with Serjeo (in Boston)?
2. Can my boyfriend work directly with the designer (MaeVona) if he found a diamond elsewhere?
3. Any other suggestions on stores in NYC that we absolutely must visit?

Thanks so much guys- I really appreciate your feedback and it''s nice to have a support group through this process!
1.gif

Vote4PedroToo

Shiny_Rock
Really check out Stuart Moore. I love his stores and his rings look so great on. I just found this site. It might be too modern? Not sure, but it''s worth a look. Looks like they do a lot of custom work. Maybe he could make a new ring inspired by your scott keating design? Just a thought. I did like this design and it sort of reminded me of your first ring.

check it out

alison_1.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
have you seen sholdt design''s, I''ve never seen them in person but they sure look gorgeous in pics..

link to sholdt a

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results