shape
carat
color
clarity

I love my alexandrite

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

r1noa

Rough_Rock
My fascinating alexandrite.
7.74 carats.

P1000660.JPG

r1noa

Rough_Rock
greenish yellow

P1000656 .JPG

r1noa

Rough_Rock
Alexandrite Chrysoberyl.
Measurement : 13.04 x 9.90 x 7.60
Weight : 7.74 Carats
Phenomena : Colour Change
Microscope : Growth line
No Enhancement.
Origin unknown.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s a different change from the one normally seen - orange to green.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
What a coincidence. I love your alexandrite too.
9.gif

r1noa

Rough_Rock
This stone do not have a very strong colour change.
It has a very beautiful green colour in daylight but only brownish yellow in dim light (not red at all).
The real stone is better than in the picture.

I bought this gem 1 year ago.
Cant remember the currency at that time, Approximately USD 8500 to 9000.
I find that price quite cheap as larger Alexandrite chrysoberyl are quite rare. What do you think?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has this actually been certified as an Alex? The reason I ask is that is looks more like a (very lovely) Chrysoberyl. Typically, an Alex will be a forest green to a plum/amethyst colour. I own a number of Alex and the price is always based on strength of colour change. Size of course plays a part but primarily it's the colour change that sets the price. If you search on this forum you'll find pictures of my 3ct that has phenomenal colours!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
r1noa,

I know you asked for my opinion on your alex in another thread, but I''m affraid to say anything. I''m no expert and alexandrites are among the rarest stones and also some of the most difficult for a layman to evaluate. I can browse online vendors (just like you can), but can''t really conclude anything. Some of the stones that are similar in size to yours sell for about the same, but have a different color change. Some have a similar color change, but are smaller and therefore differently priced. So all I can say on this is that I hope you like it and enjoy wearing it. But let me also point out (I thought it might interest you) that some of the most respected gemologists out there, debate whether an alexandrite with a color change other than green to red, should be allowed to be called an alexandrite. Some claim that stones such as yours should be labeled as "color change chrysoberyl", cause after all, that''s what they are; and that the term alexandrite is left for only the finest and the rarest in terms of color change.

Hope this helps.

r1noa

Rough_Rock
Wow, you have a really amazing alexandrite collection.

My alexandrite gemstone has a certificate. i will attach the picture tomorrow. Its in my office computer.

The picture didnt show the real colour.
I cant get the real colour with my lousy camera. Sorry, this is the first time i ever take photograph of a ring.

This gem has a very good forest green colour in daylight. Not too dark green.
It only has a fairly weak colour change, But i definitely can see colour change. It changes to yellow brawn colour.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/24/2009 1:06:44 PM
Author: r1noa
This stone do not have a very strong colour change.
It has a very beautiful green colour in daylight but only brownish yellow in dim light (not red at all).
The real stone is better than in the picture.

I bought this gem 1 year ago.
Cant remember the currency at that time, Approximately USD 8500 to 9000.
I find that price quite cheap as larger Alexandrite chrysoberyl are quite rare. What do you think?
Green to yellow? It sounds more like a cc chrysoberyl. I think it is an Alexandrite only when the change is from green to red. Pricing would be based on the strength of the colour change. The less pure the colour, the less it is worth as well, so a brownish yellow would be another ding to its value.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.whitesgems.com/gems/CHL005.htm

Above is the link to a 3.58 ct colour change chrysoberyl which looks to have the same colour change as yours and it is precision cut. The asking price is $1875.

CHL005f.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was hesitating posting up yesterday but I''m sure that Chrono is correct. Rather than an Alex that''s a cc chrysoberyl.

If you love the ring/stone then worth/value shouldn''t be important. The most important thing is that you love it and appreciate its beauty.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/25/2009 5:16:02 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
I was hesitating posting up yesterday but I''m sure that Chrono is correct. Rather than an Alex that''s a cc chrysoberyl.

If you love the ring/stone then worth/value shouldn''t be important. The most important thing is that you love it and appreciate its beauty.
Well said, LD. We buy what we love and enjoy, not for a dollar value.

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
i have checked some of my books on the approx value of your cc chrysoberyl and am finding values @500-600 /ct.-this is not alexandrite-the color change for alex is from greens to reds with slight variations of the both. alex is a fovorite of mine & have posted pics of what i have-you have a nice stone and is reasonably high on the hardness scale so not too bad for a ring-do enjoy-this time my 3 cents...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results