shape
carat
color
clarity

I lost a side stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
So I cleaned my rings last night in a mixture of liquid soap, windex and warm water w/ a soft toothbrush, just like I always do. I wore them last night and when I put them on again this morning I noticed one of my round side stones in my e-ring is missing. I am so totally bummed and now I''m afraid to wear either of my rings.. Here''s a picture of my rings, I believe it is bead set (it''s the only picture I have, I''m terrible at photographing rings although I''ve tried a million times). How common is this in this type of setting?

RingZoomKA[1].jpg

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
If it is bead set, it may also be a pave type of setting. I cannot say that for certain, but I think that I have heard that term used for the way pave is set. As far as trouble, it really depends on the craftsmanship of the ring. Some bead set is done extremely well, and others are not done as well. You may also have snagged ever so slightly enough to loosen a bead and lose a stone. (not accusing) just thinking outside the box.

I would take it to the jeweler who made the ring and have them assess it and see what they are willing to do to make you whole. This could involved you paying for the whole thing, them paying for the whole thing, or some part to each of you in that transaction. I am so sorry this happened to you, and I hope you have a quick and painless resolution.

shay

Londonchris

Rough_Rock
Looks like prong set to me.
Bad luck.
keep an eye out for the stone and get the rest checked over.
how common? very,though thats not meaning that type setting is bad. a million reasons why stones fall out.

Londonchris

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/23/2006 3:26:17 PM
Author: Shay37
Some bead set is done extremely well, and others are not done as well. You may also have snagged ever so slightly enough to loosen a bead and lose a stone.

shay
First bit is true of any setting.
Hard to snag a bead.
bead is the name for a single row of stones and pave is for multiple "paving" ,french word for paving that has a stick on the e.
Beads need metal,and your ring is lacking the metal required ,therefore i reckon prongs .
Also prongs are more snaggable and prone to wear and tear.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Oh Kimberly I am so sorry you lost a stone out of your beautiful rings! I assume you'll have your jeweler replace it for you. I think this kind of thing can happen with any type of setting so please don't be afraid to wear them!

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
What a bummer! Take it back to the person who made the ring. It won''t cost much at all. I''ve had small diamonds replaced for under $20.00 each, depending on size.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Get it fixed and back on your finger! I think this is fairly common with pave and bead set stones. It''s just part of maintanence. It shouldn''t be expensive.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the information everyone.

Shay, I absolutely didn''t find that to be accusatory, I am pretty clumsy which is why I don''t wear my rings to shower, cook, clean, garden, etc. but it is a possibility I knocked it against something.

Unfortunately the jeweler I purchased the ring from is in Chicago while I am in San Diego, so I''m going to do a site search to see if there are any jeweler recommendations in the area to take the set to, have it checked out and get it fixed. We went to my parents for 3 days and I left it at home in case there are other issues that need to be addressed.

I''ll post again when I get it fixed.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Oh Kimberly, I''m so sorry! I would definitely take the set to a jreputable eweler and have them check everything, that way you don''t lose any more stones!

Also, make sure you have the entire set checked every six months or so. Most jewelers will do this and clean the rings for free
1.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Oh, and may I just say I love love love your set!!!
2.gif
3.gif

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
KH-I am so sorry about your ring setting, as it is just beautiful. What a bummer! But fear not, it should be easily fixed by a good jeweler....

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Rascal and UCLA, I''m feeling less sad about it. I''m going to use the jeweler that SanDiegoLady used and recommends as it sounds like they''ve been great to do business with and has had no complaints filed against them at the BBB in the last 3 years.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
My ring is fixed and back on my finger. He said it''s just part of having a shared prong ring and there isn''t anything wrong with the craftsmanship (although I know it''s not the greatest).

We discussed replacing the head as I had it retipped (the original jeweler set my center stone incorrectly) and the retipping job wasn''t too great either. So my Valentine''s Day present will be to have Jeff replace my head, which I am really excited about because I wanted 4 prongs originally but the setting we purchased came with 6.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kimberly, I''m glad that you have your ring back and that you''re getting the head switched out to the one you really wanted. Your rings are very pretty!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Thanks DeeJay! I really do love my setting although now that I have a keener eye (it''s no longer bluried by engagement bliss) I am a bit disappointed with the craftsmanship in the e-ring setting. The wedding band is exquisite. Some of the prongs on the e-ring melded together and I''m not thrilled about it, even though I''m the only one who would ever notice any such thing. It''s not something I can''t live with, I just wish I had payed closer attention when we made the purchase.

I don''t ever plan to change my setting (I would actually have the same one remade sans melded prongs if anything ever happened to it) but I do want to upgrade to a larger center stone at some point (I''m talking 10-20 years down the road). My ideal would be 1.5 ct. or so. John is quite sentimental so I have to be careful how I approach anything regarding my rings as he views them as a symbol of our marriage. I''ve planted the upgrade seed and he seems okay with, I''m not sure he could handle knowing about my wanting to have my entire setting redone, yet anyways.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2007 5:19:32 PM
Author: KimberlyH
My ring is fixed and back on my finger. He said it''s just part of having a shared prong ring and there isn''t anything wrong with the craftsmanship (although I know it''s not the greatest).

We discussed replacing the head as I had it retipped (the original jeweler set my center stone incorrectly) and the retipping job wasn''t too great either. So my Valentine''s Day present will be to have Jeff replace my head, which I am really excited about because I wanted 4 prongs originally but the setting we purchased came with 6.
I''m really glad there is a jeweler in SD that comes so well recommended since we''re moving there next year! I just hope hope that (if I ever get my stone set haha) there are no issues with it until after we move! Congrats on the fix and the new head (okay that sounds funny hahaha)

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2007 8:06:22 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

Date: 1/10/2007 5:19:32 PM
Author: KimberlyH

I''m really glad there is a jeweler in SD that comes so well recommended since we''re moving there next year! I just hope hope that (if I ever get my stone set haha) there are no issues with it until after we move! Congrats on the fix and the new head (okay that sounds funny hahaha)
Cehrabehra,

He is great. He''s really low key, not a sales guy at all. He didn''t push me into a new head, just mentioned the retipping job as a future possibility, no scare tactics, no "your center stone is going to fall out" or anything. And he did an awesome job replacing the side stone, it looks like new!

:)

Brilliant_Rock
I know you already took care of it, but for future in case you need it, Leo Hamel is also supposed to be pretty good. They are by Old Town.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Kimberly, I am so glad everything worked out for you.

Way to go, SDL for the recommendation.

shay

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the tip, :) and thanks for the kind words shay.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results