shape
carat
color
clarity

I know Peony''s are a summer flower but how long are they in bloom for?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I figure someone on here would know, I really want peony roses for my bouquet and on a whim spoke to a florist down the local mall and asked the seasonal variety of them anyway the convo went like this:

ME: Hi, I was just wondering could you tell me when Peony roses are in season.
FLORIST: Is this for a wedding?
ME: Yes I was thinking about them
FLORIST: Don’t bother peonies are only in season for 2 wks within summer and you can’t tell when and it is impossible to plan a wedding around them.
ME: Oh, okay thanks…walk out really sad.

I still want them even though I am having a winter wedding (I was going to look at importing them or something, but FI keeps harping on about what this lady said and frankly giving me the sheets (which I told him) – I am not sure how reliable the info she gave is and figured I would ask here.

Nearly every single bridal mag, the knot has peonies in them if it were so hard to source them then why are they so prevalent?

TIA :)

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Hey Deelight,

I also want Peonies for my wedding in Mexico. I've been trying to find info online. What I've read is that couples who've had weddings in August (in Mexico) had to have their Peonies imported from Canada/Alaska and (and kept in a fridge/freezer during transportation).

I don't know how long they're in bloom but am interested in reading what other PSers have to say 'cause I love those flowers!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
we had a nov. wedding and our florist successfully sourced peonies for our bouquets and other flower arrangements. they were flown in from new zealand. anyway you could check out other flourists'' opinions?

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Thanks CDNinNYC, jcrow I definitly want to check other options just for some strange reason FI has this in his head as word
20.gif
, I am sure it can be done and I want to prove him wrong
25.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock
After searching myself, my opinion is that lots of florists don't want to risk not being able to provide them when it comes down to it. Most brides that use them, are absolutely in-love with them, and would you want to be the one to go to the bride 2 weeks before the wedding and say... "Hey, I'm sorry, but we just can't get them." This is probably why she asked you if it was going to be for a wedding up front.

I searched all over the internet and barely came up with anything about prices or availability. I am not a person that likes uncertainty, and that is why we decided against using them.

I bet if you devote enough time to it, you'll find a florist that can help you!! Good luck!

GoingCrazy29

Shiny_Rock
Peonies are my FAVORITE flower and I have wanted them for my wedding bouquet for the longest time. However, I am getting married August 29th and all the florists told me it would be ridiculously expensive to have peonies flown in. Since I am super stubborn we decided to use silk peonies (that are ridiculously realistic) and put other real flowers all around them. That way I can have at least the look of peonies in my bouquet- for me it was the perfect compromise.

There are lots of other flowers that look similar to peonies and are in bloom later. Tulip-peonies and cabbage roses are the closest match in my opinion. This website shows some peony alternatives that include pictures. Hope it helps!

Good luck
1.gif

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for providing that link, GoingCrazy! Those cabbage roses are lovely!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
yep, i want to add that we did have a back up plan for the bouquets just in case they couldn''t come in... we didn''t pay for the back up flowers, but they were ordered just in case.

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I feel your pain, I want peonies too, but I have an early May wedding. My bridesmaid/florist has told me that peonies aren''t likely to be in season, and will be expensive. So, we''ve decided just to have them in my bouquet, and nothing else. However, she has access to flowers wholesale, so I will get them at cost. We have seen peonies at Flower Mart one or two months ago (referred to as "winter peonies"), so you can get them at other times of the year. As stated above, you can get other flowers which will mimic the look of peony buds, such as cabbage roses. Also, if you love the open look, maybe dahlias (if in season at your time) can be an affordable alternative.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I really want peonies only for my bouquet for my early Spring wedding so I feel your pain Deelight! I think you should totally go get some other opinions.

The link with the peony alternatives is great. I too love the cabbage roses and those tulip-peony hybrids are pretty too!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
GoingCrazy29 that link is awesome, I really love those cabbage roses while they are slightly different they mimic a peony rose quite well.

Thanks to everyone that posted at least I know it is possible (which I thought) and it doesn sound like they are available for more then 2wks of the year but may not be finacially viable, I really only want them in my bouquet I have other flowers picked for everything else mostly.

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
According to our florist they only bloom here in Canada for 2-3 weeks in June. We are planning to have them at our wedding as well... I am not sure what are back up plan is but probably roses? Those tulip peonies are gorgeous!

Izzy03

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm... I am now SUPER confused. I first met with my florist back in January and saw an arrangement she had made for another bride that had peonies.

I said to her "Are those peonies? I love them but I know they are so expensive!"
Florist says "Why does everyone say that? In the spring they are not!"
Me "Well, if they are not, I will take them!"

I am having 12 centerpieces made with green hydrangeas, roses, ranunculus, roses, peonies, and cymbidium orchids for $800. Don't know if this helps, but just to let you know.......

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
I love peonies! I''ve been looking for flowers that are similar since they are not around in September.
8.gif

Have you seens ranunculus? They are pretty nice and smaller but can be voluminous. While not peonies, I think that they are pretty as well.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Izzy that seems really reasonable, thanks for posting - I plan on having a winter wedding otherwise it is just so hot here but that also means it may be on the excer side but I really only want them for my bouquet so I would assume the maximum of like a dozen?

I saw those spark they are beautiful as well, I think if I can't get the Peony's those or the cabbabge roses would be good alternatives if I can't get either of those hopefully the backup flower I want is available :).

I thought I would post what flowers I am looking at :), I am so in love with the peony bouquet it just screams old world romance to me
30.gif

deesbridalflowers.gif

blueyes157

Shiny_Rock
I saw a picture of a Peony bouquet, fell hard and knew I HAD to have them as my bouquet! I am actually getting married this saturday (March 21) and getting my dream bouquet! My florist had to do so me research to get them in, but he is able to get them. I forget what there "in season" is.

Good luck they are truly gorgeous!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Good luck with your wedding :), I would love to see pics when it all said and done :D.

I am so glad your got your dream flowers it is stuff like that, that makes a wonderful day just that little more wonderful :D.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the biggest thing about peonies is unless you have a wedding with just the right timing so that they are in season locally, it is just very hard to predict if they will be available. If you are ok with the uncertainty, your florist may be able to get them at all times of the year, but they never know what exactly is going to be available until that week.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
They will definitly not be available locally when I decide to get married
7.gif
, the weather here at that time can get up and around 104 with really high humidity - we are opting for a winter wedding with a maximum of about 72 with limited humidity it should be a good time it rarely gets cold here.

I was hoping to have them brought in from wherever, this florist just made it seem impossible - if worst came to worst I would pick something else but I really have my heart set on these :).

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
I''m a HUGE peony lover myself and hope to have a peony boquet too. They do seem hard to get. I saw them last year in the grocery store for just a short time in early June. I''d like my wedding in early July to mid-late September. But I guess if I did a September wedding, I''d go with more of a fall theme.

I''d say look around some more and I''d love to see what happens! By the way, your peony boquet idea on the top right (of the photos you supplied) is exactly what I''d like but in more of a coral color!

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Dee,
I hope this makes you feel better. A close friend wanted peonies on her wedding cake, we went to florist after florist and cake tasting after cake tasting (rough life I know), and they all said the same thing. There is no way to remove all of the tiny bugs off of peonies, so if you are going to put them on food, the blooms had better be fake.

I did not know that bug removal was so hard, but I totally went with ranuculus for the pink in my bouquet instead of peonies, which were much more spendy than most anything other than orchids, even last May.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
*mini update*

this doesn''t work for me but for other brides looking for peonies but not having them in season I was at a bridal expo today and was talking to a florist and happened to notice what I thought were peony roses, Turns out they are David Austin Roses http://www.japonica.com.au/images/gallery/David_Austin_roses.jpg the ones I saw looked more like peonies then these ones but they are in bloom for most of the year by her chart so should be easy to come by for other brides who are after the look.

And the smell wa just DIVINE omg so beautiful very fragrant.

supergirl10

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/5/2009 3:23:58 AM
Author: Deelight
*mini update*
this doesn''t work for me but for other brides looking for peonies but not having them in season I was at a bridal expo today and was talking to a florist and happened to notice what I thought were peony roses, Turns out they are David Austin Roses http://www.japonica.com.au/images/gallery/David_Austin_roses.jpg the ones I saw looked more like peonies then these ones but they are in bloom for most of the year by her chart so should be easy to come by for other brides who are after the look.

And the smell wa just DIVINE omg so beautiful very fragrant.

Thanks dee for the info I really wanted something similar to your dream roses in white for my april wedding but being in NQ i think they will just die!
8.gif
Thanks for the info do you know if the david austin roses are expensive, I see them in cosmo bride all the time but i just figured that they were something you could only really get in sydney/melbourne and it (again) would cost a fortune to get them here.

Sorry for the threadjack!

Supergirl

Can a

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Supergirl I am in brissie - and the ones I saw were 3days old and they still looked good - fairly hardy looking :D. I don''t know how much they are but I am getting an email with info so if they can give me a price I will pass it on :).

supergirl10

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/5/2009 4:01:20 AM
Author: Deelight
Supergirl I am in brissie - and the ones I saw were 3days old and they still looked good - fairly hardy looking :D. I don''t know how much they are but I am getting an email with info so if they can give me a price I will pass it on :).

awh thanks heaps dee! I very much appreciate that!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
:) no worries HTH, hopefully they do email
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results