carat
color
clarity

I just wanna say -- the random comments thread

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

FYI @Jambalaya I notice you've purchased items from Birks in the past--I got an email today of a sale up to 50% off. :wavey:

cheers--Sharon

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mmmmm! We have fry bread here in NM.
So yummy! They sometimes top it with taco meat, pinto beans, shredded lettuce, onions, tomato and red chile sauce. That's called an Indian Taco.

That is exactly what she is after! My grandfather had some more details. He described it as more of a loaf hollowed out then topped with taco meat. Not sure what I am after when we get there, but I figure she will know it when she sees it.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Road trip!!!!
I asked my grandmother if she would like to go home to visit her sisters and other family. "Boy do I!" with the brightest face I have seen in a long time. I was going to fly us both first class (she doesn't know that part!) but she started talking about how nice it would be to drive and see the sights again. Okay, we can do that!
Renting a car and will drive. Can take as long as we need to get there. Can also do a one way and fly home of she needs.

Now.... To find the rental and hotels along the path so we can stop wherever needed.

She wants Indian fry bread in the Black Hills area. I want to see Yellowstone along the way if she is up to it. Everett, WA area to North Sioux City area. Should be fun!

So.... After all the looking for places to stay and rental car options and trying to plan a route with easily available bathrooms, my mom and aunt had an absolute fit that we were going to drive. They don't think *I* can make the trip safely. Seriously!?! Yeah...
Anyway, I talked with my grandma to see what *she* wants to do. She looked confused and said she doesn't know why they think she wants to drive. It is an awfully long drive and isn't flying easier? Grandma :rolleyes: :lol:

So back to flying. They did make the reasonable (to some degree) request that we postpone a few weeks. Probably just as well. Neither of us have shorts!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
loaf hollowed out then topped with taco meat.

That sounds like a stuffed sopapilla. They are a specialty around here.
A sopapilla is a square of dough that is fried. It puffs up when deep fried, and then they open it up and add fillings. Everything must have red chile sauce to be authentic.
1626558749847.png

This is an Indian Taco. You can see the fry bread underneath the toppings.
1626559089895.png

Last edited:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That sounds like a stuffed sopapilla. They are a specialty around here.
A sopapilla is a square of dough that is fried. It puffs up when deep fried, and then they open it up and add fillings. Everything must have red chile sauce to be authentic.
1626558749847.png

This is an Indian Taco. You can see the fry bread underneath the toppings.
1626559089895.png

Those both look delicious!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

FYI @Jambalaya I notice you've purchased items from Birks in the past--I got an email today of a sale up to 50% off. :wavey:

cheers--Sharon

Thank you so much, Sharon! That's really kind of you to let me know. I'll post if I get anything!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

FOR THOSE WHO ARE 60 yrs OLD AND ABOVE PLEASE READ THIS.
This is for you. I really like what is said here and am going to try my best to follow it. Thank you to the person who wrote this. As we strive to be a blessing to others at this age, especially to our children.
Between 60 and death. It's time to use the money you saved up. Use it and enjoy it. Don't just keep it for those who may have no notion of the sacrifices you made to get it. Remember there is nothing more dangerous than a son or daughter-in-law with big ideas for your hard-earned capital.
Warning: This is also a bad time for investments, even if it seems wonderful or fool-proof. They only bring problems and worries. This is a time for you to enjoy some peace and quiet.
Stop worrying about the financial situation of your children and grandchildren, and don't feel bad spending your money on yourself. You've taken care of them for many years, and you've taught them what you could. You gave them an education, food, shelter, and support. The responsibility is now theirs to earn their own money.
Keep a healthy life, without great physical effort. Do moderate exercise (like walking every day), eat well, and get your sleep. It's easy to become sick, and it gets harder to remain healthy. That is why you need to keep yourself in good shape and be aware of your medical and physical needs. Keep in touch with your doctor, do tests even when you're feeling well. Stay informed.
Always buy the best, most beautiful items for your significant other. The key goal is to enjoy your money with your partner. One day one of you will miss the other, and the money will not provide any comfort then, enjoy it together.
Don't stress over the little things. You've already overcome so much in your life. You have good memories and bad ones, but the important thing is the present. Don't let the past drag you down and don't let the future frighten you. Feel good in the now. Small issues will soon be forgotten.
Regardless of age, always keep love alive. Love your partner, love life, love your family, love your neighbor and remember: "A man is not old as long as he has intelligence and affection."
Be proud, both inside and out. Don't stop going to your hair salon or barber, do your nails, go to the dermatologist and the dentist, keep your perfumes and creams well stocked. When you are well-maintained on the outside, it seeps in, making you feel proud and strong.
Don’t lose sight of fashion trends for your age, but keep your own sense of style. You’ve developed your own sense of what looks good on you – keep it and be proud of it. It’s part of who you are.
ALWAYS stay up-to-date. Read newspapers, watch the news. Go online and read what people are saying. Make sure you have an active email account and try to use some of those social networks. You'll be surprised at what old friends you'll meet.
Respect the younger generation and their opinions. They may not have the same ideas as you, but they are the future and will take the world in their direction. Give advice, not criticism, and try to remind them that yesterday's wisdom still applies today.
Never use the phrase: “In my time.” Your time is now. As long as you’re alive, you are part of this time.
Some people embrace their golden years, while others become bitter and surly. Life is too short to waste your days on the latter. Spend your time with positive, cheerful people, it'll rub off on you and your days will seem that much better. Spending your time with bitter people will make you feel older and harder to be around.
Do not surrender to the temptation of living with your children or grandchildren (if you have a financial choice, that is). Sure, being surrounded by family sounds great, but we all need our privacy. They need theirs and you need yours. Even then, do so only if you feel you really need the help or do not want to live by yourself
Don't abandon your hobbies. If you don't have any, make new ones. You can travel, hike, cook, read, dance. You can adopt a cat or a dog, grow a kitchen garden, play cards, checkers, chess, dominoes, golf.
Try to go. Get out of the house, meet people you haven't seen in a while, experience something new (or something old). The important thing is to leave the house from time to time. Go to museums, go walk through a park. Get out there.
Speak in courteous tones and try not to complain or criticize too much unless you really need to. Try to accept situations as they are.
Pains and discomfort go hand in hand with getting older. Try not to dwell on them but accept them as a part of life.
If you've been offended by someone – forgive them. If you've offended someone-apologize. Don't drag around resentment with you. It only serves to make you sad and bitter. It doesn't matter who was right. Someone once said: "Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die." Don't take that poison. Forgive, forget, and move on with your life.
Laugh. Laugh away your worries Remember, you are one of the lucky ones. You managed to have a life, a long one. Many never get to this age, never get to experience a full life.
My valued friends, enjoy peaceful life at this point in your life ...
Don't worry... be happy.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

FOR THOSE WHO ARE 60 yrs OLD AND ABOVE PLEASE READ THIS.
This is for you. I really like what is said here and am going to try my best to follow it. Thank you to the person who wrote this. As we strive to be a blessing to others at this age, especially to our children.
Between 60 and death. It's time to use the money you saved up. Use it and enjoy it. Don't just keep it for those who may have no notion of the sacrifices you made to get it. Remember there is nothing more dangerous than a son or daughter-in-law with big ideas for your hard-earned capital.
Warning: This is also a bad time for investments, even if it seems wonderful or fool-proof. They only bring problems and worries. This is a time for you to enjoy some peace and quiet.
Stop worrying about the financial situation of your children and grandchildren, and don't feel bad spending your money on yourself. You've taken care of them for many years, and you've taught them what you could. You gave them an education, food, shelter, and support. The responsibility is now theirs to earn their own money.
Keep a healthy life, without great physical effort. Do moderate exercise (like walking every day), eat well, and get your sleep. It's easy to become sick, and it gets harder to remain healthy. That is why you need to keep yourself in good shape and be aware of your medical and physical needs. Keep in touch with your doctor, do tests even when you're feeling well. Stay informed.
Always buy the best, most beautiful items for your significant other. The key goal is to enjoy your money with your partner. One day one of you will miss the other, and the money will not provide any comfort then, enjoy it together.
Don't stress over the little things. You've already overcome so much in your life. You have good memories and bad ones, but the important thing is the present. Don't let the past drag you down and don't let the future frighten you. Feel good in the now. Small issues will soon be forgotten.
Regardless of age, always keep love alive. Love your partner, love life, love your family, love your neighbor and remember: "A man is not old as long as he has intelligence and affection."
Be proud, both inside and out. Don't stop going to your hair salon or barber, do your nails, go to the dermatologist and the dentist, keep your perfumes and creams well stocked. When you are well-maintained on the outside, it seeps in, making you feel proud and strong.
Don’t lose sight of fashion trends for your age, but keep your own sense of style. You’ve developed your own sense of what looks good on you – keep it and be proud of it. It’s part of who you are.
ALWAYS stay up-to-date. Read newspapers, watch the news. Go online and read what people are saying. Make sure you have an active email account and try to use some of those social networks. You'll be surprised at what old friends you'll meet.
Respect the younger generation and their opinions. They may not have the same ideas as you, but they are the future and will take the world in their direction. Give advice, not criticism, and try to remind them that yesterday's wisdom still applies today.
Never use the phrase: “In my time.” Your time is now. As long as you’re alive, you are part of this time.
Some people embrace their golden years, while others become bitter and surly. Life is too short to waste your days on the latter. Spend your time with positive, cheerful people, it'll rub off on you and your days will seem that much better. Spending your time with bitter people will make you feel older and harder to be around.
Do not surrender to the temptation of living with your children or grandchildren (if you have a financial choice, that is). Sure, being surrounded by family sounds great, but we all need our privacy. They need theirs and you need yours. Even then, do so only if you feel you really need the help or do not want to live by yourself
Don't abandon your hobbies. If you don't have any, make new ones. You can travel, hike, cook, read, dance. You can adopt a cat or a dog, grow a kitchen garden, play cards, checkers, chess, dominoes, golf.
Try to go. Get out of the house, meet people you haven't seen in a while, experience something new (or something old). The important thing is to leave the house from time to time. Go to museums, go walk through a park. Get out there.
Speak in courteous tones and try not to complain or criticize too much unless you really need to. Try to accept situations as they are.
Pains and discomfort go hand in hand with getting older. Try not to dwell on them but accept them as a part of life.
If you've been offended by someone – forgive them. If you've offended someone-apologize. Don't drag around resentment with you. It only serves to make you sad and bitter. It doesn't matter who was right. Someone once said: "Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die." Don't take that poison. Forgive, forget, and move on with your life.
Laugh. Laugh away your worries Remember, you are one of the lucky ones. You managed to have a life, a long one. Many never get to this age, never get to experience a full life.
My valued friends, enjoy peaceful life at this point in your life ...
Don't worry... be happy.

Absolutely beautiful advice! I needed to read this today more than you can know. I have started standing up for my grandparents as they want to keep living and their two daughters are making it hard. A conversation yesterday included the boyfriend of the one daughter (she holds the opinion too) saying he didn't think it was worth ordering parts to restore that old car. Probably not even worth $$$ if it were to get fixed up. Well, that car means a lot to my grandfather and has been a project he has wanted to finish for as long as I can remember. (30+ years). He bought this as a project to work on with his son. They started the project together. His son has been gone a number of years now. That car means so much to him, I don't care if it isn't worth a dime when done. Just getting that car restored and Grandpa driving it down the street is all that matters.

I am so sick with this situation and seeing my grandparents unhappy because of it. I can't fix it all, but I can do my best to give them bits of joy and things to look forward to!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a person with several car restoration projects, true dat. Sometimes the money spent to restore a car does not equate to the value of the car if/when sold. Sometimes you get in over your head. Parts are expensive. And then there’s the time it takes to do the restoration.

We have one car that has all new parts, but it’s not together (a “basket case”) and we will probably be into it for nearly $50K if we ever finish it (not including our own labor). However, that car would market over that amount if/when restored.

Then there is the other car that will probably cost another $50K to complete, and has about $19K into it. That one could be worth $90K when complete.

We might never finish either of them.

HOWEVER, if one of the kids even hinted that DH is too old to finish one of these cars or merely suggested that we stop “working” on them or (g*d forbid) we should sell now and cut bait (probably meaning to give them their inheritance early), that would not go over very well.

My DH has every intention to finish these cars, even if he dies trying (or dies before we finish…). At that point, presumably I will inherit them and can keep the cars, parts, and/or money, but he will have been able to pursue his “dream” of finishing them.

Wonder if your grandparents need to update their will… just sayin.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a person with several car restoration projects, true dat. Sometimes the money spent to restore a car does not equate to the value of the car if/when sold. Sometimes you get in over your head. Parts are expensive. And then there’s the time it takes to do the restoration.

We have one car that has all new parts, but it’s not together (a “basket case”) and we will probably be into it for nearly $50K if we ever finish it (not including our own labor). However, that car would market over that amount if/when restored.

Then there is the other car that will probably cost another $50K to complete, and has about $19K into it. That one could be worth $90K when complete.

We might never finish either of them.

HOWEVER, if one of the kids even hinted that DH is too old to finish one of these cars or merely suggested that we stop “working” on them or (g*d forbid) we should sell now and cut bait (probably meaning to give them their inheritance early), that would not go over very well.

My DH has every intention to finish these cars, even if he dies trying (or dies before we finish…). At that point, presumably I will inherit them and can keep the cars, parts, and/or money, but he will have been able to pursue his “dream” of finishing them.

Wonder if your grandparents need to update their will… just sayin.

Cars are a labor of love! His is nowhere near what yours sound. This is a fairly common car. Worth $20,000-30,000 when restored. Probably about $6,000 or so needed to get it done. Nothing huge. (Hopefully!) He is enjoying going out and working on it and has us plus my cousin helping too.

The will is... Messed up if it is what I was told by the daughters. I suspect it is. They don't want fighting over things like they saw when others have died. The way they act, at least the one daughter seems to think I am after whatever $$$ they have. (I don't know or care how much they have beyond knowing they have enough to be comfortable.) Like I told DH, I don't care. There are a few things that would be very special to me if they got passed to me later on, but what I want most is the memories of time with them happy and getting to do things they enjoy. Right this minute, I think they are getting everything they need without issue. In some ways, the two daughters have them spending more on themselves than I ever saw before. I was worried early on, but definitely see that as a good thing as I learned they can afford those things without ending up suffering later. (The two daughters are horrendous at $$$ management...)
So I watch for now. If there is anything they need and are being talked out of, I will definitely step in and say so. I am also watching to make sure the boyfriend doesn't have ideas of keeping spending low to maximize what is left when they pass.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ted Lasso is back!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Buying tickets for trip today, so that is good.

Not as good is a project we had going. Can't even talk with anyone about it as it is about to all go very south. Hoping it all works out in the end.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have the last 16 months made you feel a lot more positive about your fellow human beings?

Yeah, me neither.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Have the last 16 months made you feel a lot more positive about your fellow human beings?

Yeah, me neither.

My feelings about my "fellow human" have been utterly destroyed. I'm at a point where I don't have any idea how to cope with that.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My feelings about my "fellow human" have been utterly destroyed. I'm at a point where I don't have any idea how to cope with that.

Hugs to you. I grok. Coping is something I'm not managing consistently well. I've distanced myself from negative people. I'm selective on how much exposure I have to daily news. I'm horrified at my lack of empathy and compassion for the people in our government and general population who are determined to be awful human beings and yet at war with my head and heart because I can't help but believe that they are victims of some kind of hurt that turned them into awful human beings and thus deserving of at least an iota of pity. Mostly I'm angry, frustrated, disappointed. The upside is that those emotions are having a positive effective on my weightlifting.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm sorry @OboeGal that you feel the same as I do. I have slowly been losing my faith in humanity and the behavior during the pandemic is reinforcing those feelings. I remind myself though that there are still a lot of wonderful people who don't suck but yeah this pandemic has brought out the worst in many people.

Hard times bring out the best in some people but the worst in others and we have seen a lot of ugly behavior these past 16 months sad to say. But then again, I have seen many rise to the occasion and be awesome so it is a mixed bag. Unfortunately bad behavior gets more attention that good generally.

I am still holding onto the hope that there is more good than bad. It is getting harder and harder to do but I won't give up on humanity just yet though.

humanity .jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hugs to you. I grok. Coping is something I'm not managing consistently well. I've distanced myself from negative people. I'm selective on how much exposure I have to daily news. I'm horrified at my lack of empathy and compassion for the people in our government and general population who are determined to be awful human beings and yet at war with my head and heart because I can't help but believe that they are victims of some kind of hurt that turned them into awful human beings and thus deserving of at least an iota of pity. Mostly I'm angry, frustrated, disappointed. The upside is that those emotions are having a positive effective on my weightlifting.

Yes, same! I put all my feelings of disappointment, anger and frustration into my daily workouts and it does help give me a better workout and I feel much better afterwards too. Way to put negative energy and make it positive. And also yes on distancing oneself from people who exude mainly negative and toxic energy. I too feel sorry for many of them but because their bad behavior is affecting so many other people I cannot help but also be angry at their selfishness. It is only human to feel anger about this situation and we can feel both angry at them and sad for them.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, It ain't gonna be the end of the world tomorrow. The sun will rise again from the east in the morning.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, It ain't gonna be the end of the world tomorrow. The sun will rise again from the east in the morning.

Thank you for your reassuring words @Dancing Fire. From your mouth to you know whose ears.

I just hope while the sun rises in the East and sets in the West it does so with all of us and our loved ones still healthy and happy and safe. Each and every day.

I am very concerned about the future at the moment with the severity and contagiousness of Delta and some of the other variants. It is worrisome.

I worry for all who are immunocompromised. I worry for all the elderly. I worry for all the young children who cannot get vaccinated. I worry for all those who cannot get vaccinated due to medical issues. I worry for the vulnerable. And I worry for us all.

I am not a religious person so just putting this out there spiritually. May all of us and our loved ones remain safe and well and may this pandemic be over sooner vs later.

You are right today @Dancing Fire the sun did rise in the East and we are all well. May that long continue.

Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 6.01.04 AM.png

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Dancing Fire, Aren’t you worried about the Delta variant? Are your daughters and wife vaccinated? Aren’t you concerned about your granddaughters possibly catching this?

I believe we are very close in age and we aren’t young chickens any more. Please know I only want the best for you and your family and for them to be well so please don’t feel like I’m picking on you or trying to start any kind of an argument. I have extended family members who refuse to get the vaccine.

Last edited:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Dancing Fire, Aren’t you worried about the Delta variant? Are your daughters and wife vaccinated? Aren’t you concerned about your granddaughters possibly catching this?
No none of us are vaccinated, and as for me I'm getting my heart scanned in a couple of weeks because of my heart murmur. My Dr. wanna see what's going on there.

Yes I'm fearful about the contracting the virus but not to the point of freaking out like most PSers. We have been living a normal life since the Covid hit the world 1.5 yr ago. My grandkids aren't old enough for vaccination yet.

CC , you can pick on me any time you feel like, b/c you are my favorite liberal...:wink2:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mom and aunt have quit trying to block the South Dakota trip. Actually, one has realized that me taking her for a week or more means she gets time off from being caregiver. First class tickets purchased. Place to stay secured. Ride from airport arranged.

Grandma has been telling all of her siblings we are coming. They are so excited to see each other again. Been 11 years since she saw her one sister and longer for the rest. I am so grateful to be able to make this happen for her!

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Yeah, me neither.

Nope.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mom and aunt have quit trying to block the South Dakota trip. Actually, one has realized that me taking her for a week or more means she gets time off from being caregiver. First class tickets purchased. Place to stay secured. Ride from airport arranged.

Grandma has been telling all of her siblings we are coming. They are so excited to see each other again. Been 11 years since she saw her one sister and longer for the rest. I am so grateful to be able to make this happen for her!

I’m glad that you’ve been able to pull this together. I’m sure it will be a very special trip for everyone, and especially for your grandmother.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So glad things are falling into place! Sounds like it will be a very special trip and very enjoyable for your grandmother. Really nice of you to arrange this @TooPatient.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was reading social media comments on a story about Dolly Parton when it occurred to me: every commenter talked about how much the admired or appreciated her. Not one commenter brought in politics or “liberal vs. conservative values,” and only one or two used the occasion to throw a veiled jab at some other celebrity. No one called other commenters names.

That’s pretty darn good for these days! I’d say she is on her way to attaining “National treasure” status, if she hasn’t already done so.

(here’s the story.)

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@VRBeauty , Your comments above reminded me of all the comments I read on Twitter about Bob Odenkirk. Bob stars in “Better Call Saul” and had a heart attack last week. Twitter had many comments about how for one day all of Twitter was united. Everyone just wanted to hear Bob was going to be ok and send love and good wishes his way.

People asked if they were the only one who were texting their loved ones about Bob’s condition as if he were an extended family member.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yesterday afternoon my hubby and our next-door neighbor, “Alex,” left to go on a 10-day motorcycle/camping trip. Our neighbor especially had been looking forward to it: Within the past four months or so he had lost both of his parents, had to clean out their condo, and negotiated with the reverse mortgage company to buy the condo his parents had been living in. Last night my husband called to let me know that Alex had been seriously injured when a truck coming from the opposite direction swerved into his lane an a rural road. Fortunately, a medic on his way home from work stopped to help them within a few minutes of the accident. An ambulance arrived a few minutes later and transported him to a nearby medical helicopter that transported him to a regional hospital. He has several broken bones, the most serious being his pelvis. He’s in ICU due to blood loss from those broken bones (who knew?). He’ll probably be in that hospital - a two hour drive from here - for three or four days, and his wife just found out she can’t visit him there due to Covid restrictions. She is absolutely beside herself.

I’m so grateful the accident wasn’t worse, as it could easily have been. And of course I’m grateful that my husband was there to help, and that he wasn’t hurt.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results