carat
color
clarity

I just wanna say -- the random comments thread

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

@missy, I am in the camp that wearing a mask/face shield doesn't harm anyone. And it just might protect a lot of people. Greg is a beautiful person inside and out. Anyone who knows him/his family gets that (honorable intentions and actions) and face shields are just a sign of the times.

cheers--Sharon

Thanks Sharon. I agree with all you wrote.

Here is an interesting opinion piece in JAMA.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WHY OH WHY you your recommend this link VRB???? I've just spent an hour (or two) looking at Christmas stuff!!!!:confused2::lol-2::P2 (at least my work related headache is gone......:))

Yay, glad your work headache is gone dear Sharon. :appl:

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hoping PSers can help me out with current dilemma. I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

DH and I are invited to a weeding (re)scheduled to occur in August. We'll go with masks for the outdoor ceremony and cocktail part and probably leave for the indoor (half or less capacity, air conditioned) dinner and dancing part..

Here's the issue. Next weekend the groom is having a bachelor party that consists of six guys aged 40-something to 50-something from different households going whitewater rafting and then dinner. Location is destination / will require at least an hour and a half car ride each direction there and back. Not sure who is or how many are traveling together.

DH is overweight smoker who inconsistently takes diabetes and blood pressure medications. I have two autoimmune disorders which makes me immunocompromised but I am not on immunosuppressant drugs.

He has no concerns about going. It doesn't sound like a socially distant activity to me so I'm thinking about asking him to reconsider going and, if he goes, self--quarantining at his parents' condo (they are away for the month) for two weeks after.

What do you think?

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Ugh I think I was just a Karen.

We were at a fancy restaurant (I hit those places for lunch to save $) and we checked the COVID policy before going . It states groups of 6 max, all must be from the same household, reservations required.

So we booked we went and a group of 12 came in. 7 children and 5 women. The first thing they do is run up to the edge of the patio right next to our table to take group photos (the location is on a river). Then they sat themselves at the tables behind us. A server came up and told them that those tables are for reservation only and they had to move. They argued. They moved when management showed up. Then they sat the 7 children at one table and the adults at the other. The oldest kid was 8 max. A few were toddlers.

So then the kids run around. They approach our table multiple times. We asked if we could be moved further away. When the manager came I asked about the COVID policy since the legal maximum number of people in a group in our province is 10. He apologized and said they lied about the number of people in their party.

In the end the group was told if they got up one more time they would have to leave. The kids decided to start dancing in the middle of the restaurant. The parents didn’t react.

The manager ended up kicking them out because “people complained”.

I’m kind of glad because ugh I hate it when people act that entitled, but my husband called me a Karen and I’m like maybe?

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
@mary poppins I’ve been white water rafting and it is not a social distancing activity.

The raft of fairly small and they may possibly be placed with another group depending on the type (the most popular type of raft for beginners is 12 person, but some do 6). He might want to check with the tour company to find out their policy.

If you are immunocompromised it is fair to question the party. It’s important to stay safe!

S

SallyB

We were at a fancy restaurant (I hit those places for lunch to save $) and we checked the COVID policy before going . It states groups of 6 max, all must be from the same household, reservations required.

So we booked we went and a group of 12 came in. 7 children and 5 women. The first thing they do is run up to the edge of the patio right next to our table to take group photos (the location is on a river). Then they sat themselves at the tables behind us. A server came up and told them that those tables are for reservation only and they had to move. They argued. They moved when management showed up. Then they sat the 7 children at one table and the adults at the other. The oldest kid was 8 max. A few were toddlers.

So then the kids run around. They approach our table multiple times. We asked if we could be moved further away. When the manager came I asked about the COVID policy since the legal maximum number of people in a group in our province is 10. He apologized and said they lied about the number of people in their party.

In the end the group was told if they got up one more time they would have to leave. The kids decided to start dancing in the middle of the restaurant. The parents didn’t react.

I’m kind of glad because ugh I hate it when people act that entitled, but my husband called me a Karen and I’m like maybe?

I wouldn’t risk my life to go to any restaurants now. That said, you had every right to speak up and it doesn’t make you a “Karen”.

S

SallyB

Hoping PSers can help me out with current dilemma. I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

DH and I are invited to a weeding (re)scheduled to occur in August. We'll go with masks for the outdoor ceremony and cocktail part and probably leave for the indoor (half or less capacity, air conditioned) dinner and dancing part..

Here's the issue. Next weekend the groom is having a bachelor party that consists of six guys aged 40-something to 50-something from different households going whitewater rafting and then dinner. Location is destination / will require at least an hour and a half car ride each direction there and back. Not sure who is or how many are traveling together.

DH is overweight smoker who inconsistently takes diabetes and blood pressure medications. I have two autoimmune disorders which makes me immunocompromised but I am not on immunosuppressant drugs.

He has no concerns about going. It doesn't sound like a socially distant activity to me so I'm thinking about asking him to reconsider going and, if he goes, self--quarantining at his parents' condo (they are away for the month) for two weeks after.

What do you think?

I would skip ALL of these events and I would put my foot down with my husband too. If family and friends expect you to risk your life for their special events, disown them.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn’t risk my life to go to any restaurants now. That said, you had every right to speak up and it doesn’t make you a “Karen”.

We are so nervous about going out.

Right now restaurants here are outdoor only, tables must be 2 meters apart, staff must wear masks.

We thought maybe it would be ok, let’s try somewhere really nice where we know some of the staff.

We won’t be venturing out again any time soon!

S

SallyB

We are so nervous about going out.

Right now restaurants here are outdoor only, tables must be 2 meters apart, staff must wear masks.

We thought maybe it would be ok, let’s try somewhere really nice where we know some of the staff.

We won’t be venturing out again any time soon!

Outdoor gatherings aren’t really safe either. A number of this woman’s guests tested positive after she did:

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock

Absolutely not a Karen. Common sense rules are put in place to keep everyone safe. I know someone who passed away in May leaving behind a wife, 3 kids, and numerous grandkids. Nobody needs that. Covid is no joke and people keep acting like it's a fairytale.

You have every right to keep yourself safe. Boo on the spineless restaurant management for blaming "complaints" instead of violation of house rules.

S

SallyB

“Karen” could become a very dangerous term for white women. Examples:

“I don’t want to be called a ‘Karen’, so I won’t report my next-door neighbors who are having a party with 100 people and no masks”.

”I don’t want to be called a ‘Karen’ or risk hurting someone’s feelings. So I’ll keep walking at the same pace, even though my gut tells me the guy walking behind me is dangerous and I should get away from him”.

Yes, of course we shouldn’t call the police because a person of another race is stretching in the park. But let’s not let our fear of being called a “Karen” make us submissive to everyone else. It could be very dangerous.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have small kids ( a lot of them) and I like going to nice restaurants with them.

I HATE entitled people who let their children run amok in public.

I have problems getting a reservation next time because they misbehaved. If your kids can't behave in public they probably don't want to be at a restaurant. Don't make them and the whole world suffer. Those folks need to pay a babysitter or stay at home... And no, you're not a "Karen". Just a customer who paid for a nice evening and couldn't enjoy it.

Now with Covid -> who wants to put their kids in danger??? If they get close to people because they don't obey, they are at a greater risk than the adults... Bad parenting...

But please, everyone, if you see a parent of a toddler who does their very best and is clearly stressed because their kiddo is throwing a tantrum in a situation they cannot escape from: be kind and sympathetic!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What do you think?

I am with the other posters on this issue. I wouldn't want him to go. There will be future happy events to celebrate when this pandemic is over if one remains well through it. I am sorry we are all dealing with this but I say better safe than sorry.

I wish I could follow my own suggestion but the funeral and church isn't optional for us. This bachelor party and rafting event is optional for your DH. Health should come first in this case.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
But please, everyone, if you see a parent of a toddler who does their very best and is clearly stressed because their kiddo is throwing a tantrum in a situation they cannot escape from: be kind and sympathetic!

Haha totally. I had the 3 year old nephew at the park last week and he somehow got a brick and tried to run away with it! They’re freaking fast and somehow find trouble.

We don’t take issue if the parents are obviously trying. Stuff happen.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I keep seeing these references to "a karen". What is it and where did it come from?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I keep seeing these references to "a karen". What is it and where did it come from?

Never mind. I looked it up on the 'net. I had no idea it was so old and that I would be able to do so.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

In your position, I would absolutely let him know that I would prefer that he not go, but if he insists on going, he has to quarantine somewhere else afterward for two weeks. He needs to understand it isn't just about him; what he does affects you.

ETA: I, personally, would not go to any of the events either. At all. I agree with @SallyB. In my humble opinion, people who are going forward with full weddings and receptions during all this are unbelievably selfish.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@chemgirl: Nope, not a "Karen" at all. People are being unbelievable selfish and entitled during this; you were well with your rights.

Last edited:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Sharon. I agree with all you wrote.

Here is an interesting opinion piece in JAMA.

Perhaps, some of the people who originally intended to pay their respects might have changed their mind, and therefore may be less of a crowd to attend to. And also, perhaps, they may choose to wear PPE themselves. Fingers crossed. Definitely no hugging or hand shaking tho! Stay well!

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m feeling kinda bad about a purchase on EBay but not how you would think lol

eBay is great for finding deals, I have been buying some antique/vintage presentation boxes (no clue why but it’s apparently something I’m having fun doing) well I put a box on my watch list and the seller offered a whooping 82% discount which I accepted along with going ahead and buying another item if theirs that I really wanted.

I asked to have the shipping combined on the items and that’s when it got a little tricky, seller didn’t charge any extra but I feel bad. They sent the messages back to back before I even read them and I guess they thought oh well? Should I offer the seller more money and have them send me an invoice via PayPal?

A619AF0E-7393-43EF-ADBE-772892A46214.jpeg

89099020-064B-4438-8DE5-78361DE64865.jpeg

71269E60-1FA1-47D3-90AC-7DB33D69FA87.jpeg

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have small kids ( a lot of them) and I like going to nice restaurants with them.

I HATE entitled people who let their children run amok in public.

I have problems getting a reservation next time because they misbehaved. If your kids can't behave in public they probably don't want to be at a restaurant. Don't make them and the whole world suffer. Those folks need to pay a babysitter or stay at home... And no, you're not a "Karen". Just a customer who paid for a nice evening and couldn't enjoy it.

Now with Covid -> who wants to put their kids in danger??? If they get close to people because they don't obey, they are at a greater risk than the adults... Bad parenting...

Before all this virus stuff hit, I was at a grocery store just browsing new things and enjoying getting some steps in while looking at yummy stuff. (plus getting what I needed, of course). A man was really struggling to get his toddler to cooperate. He ended up face down kicking and screaming in the middle of the floor because the dad wouldn't give in after the kid threw a fit after being told no. The man apologized to me as his kid was screaming. I smiled and told him no need to apologise. He's being a great parent and that is cool.

I feel bad for parents doing their best when they run into people who are short on patience due to parents who don't try. (I also understand being exhausted after struggling so much so try to give benefit of the doubt wherever possible!)

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last two wisdom teeth out. Been bleeding for over two hours. He used dissolvable stitches to close it up. Bled through several packets of gauze. Now sitting and biting a tea bag. Hope it stops soon!

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
@TooPatient I am a real sissy about dental stuff...I hope you recover quickly and can get some rest tonight!

@chemgirl you might be a Karen if you call the cops on someone not wearing a mask....who is across the park with no one else around. But asking that the restaurant enforce the covid rules for all guests is not a Karen. i don't know why they were seated if they showed up with too large a group.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I just realized this is MY hair! (I have a side part......) LOLOLOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

cheers--Sharon

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At the emergency vet with my senior boy. Dr gives "guarded" prognosis. Currently 50/50.

Kidneys. Numbers are off the charts. Making tough decisions. $4,000+ to even try. Waiting on call from another vet for her advice and help. I don't want him to spend his final days in a hospital and die alone. Hoping we have alternatives. Suspect it is due to a bit of constipation leading him to eat/drink less then none. Dehydrated.

If we check him in tonight, we couldn't take him home until money from other account transferred in -- Friday or Saturday -- so would be more like $6,500+ assuming he didn't die first. I don't want him to be alone!

Basically, all they are planning is hydrating and waiting to see. I'm trying to get at home vet to hydrate a couple of times a day and hoping that will be enough. At least asking her opinion before I go making decisions....

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bringing him home. Have a vet and another lady lined up to do fluids through the day. They will also teach us so we can do it ourselves to give as frequently as possible.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TooPatient I am so sorry to hear of your senior boy's health issues and I am keeping him in my thoughts and prayers and hope he can recover and go on to have a good quality of life left for as long as possible. (((Hugs))).

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TooPatient I’m sorry you’re pooch isn’t feeling well. Sending dust for his swift and complete recovery. ((Hugs)) ♥️

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results