carat
color
clarity

I just wanna say -- the random comments thread

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2010 2:45:32 PM
Author: ZoeBartlett
It''s weird being on vacation so early in April. I''m not used to it.

Happy belated birthday, HH! I hope you had a great day!
Enjoy your break, Zoe!

I just started back today after my spring break. What are you going to read? I just read Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen and it was fabulous. FABULOUS. It''s been out for a while, so you may have read it already, but if you haven''t it''s a great spring break book.

Have fun!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Haven!

I literally just began a book by Julie Buxbaum. It''s called After You. She''s written one other book called The Opposite of Love but I haven''t read it.

I just finished a few books over the past couple of weeks:

1. Not My Daughter by Barbara Delinksy. It was okay but not great (I''d never read her work before but I''ve heard good things). She reminds me of Elizabeth Berg and Anita Shreve (sort of), two of my favorite authors. I would try another of Delinsky''s books at some point.

2. Queen of Babble in the Big City (a totally quick and fun read), by Meg Cabot. There''s a third in this series and I''ll read it after I finish Buxbaum''s book.

3. Jodi Picoult''s new book, House Rules. It was good and it didn''t end like most of her books do. I was pleasantly surprised by that.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
*Vent*

Anyone who has ever used an elevator, or will use an elevator in their lifetime, should be REQUIRED to take and PASS an elevator rider etiquette class.
29.gif

This morning, I was the first person waiting for the elevator. Two girls walk up afterwards... when the elevator opens they both walk on first and then stand at the FRONT next to the doors and push the button for the higest floor. My 8 month preggo self had to squeeze between them to get on the elevator and then again to get off.

Get a FREAKING CLUE!

While I'm on it. Don't stand at the opening for the elevator when you see that it is about to open. There are more than likely people on that elevator that need to get off, and you just look like an impatient idiot. To add to that... if you are in the way of people that need to get off, move!

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
My friend''s son is the nicest young man you could ever hope to meet. She is never off his case, never done giving him a hard time and truly doesn''t appreciate him.
I think she''s a fantastic parent, but she has four kids and this one just seems to rub her the wrong way every single time he speaks. I feel sad for them both.
39.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
A few things this lovely April morning.

My dear childhood friend passed away last week due to complications from liver cancer. The cancer was a side effect of a genetic condition she was born with and she''s been battling it for the past year. She was 30 and has a 4 year old daughter
39.gif
7.gif

My dog ate my husband''s $150 sunglasses late last night. Like a good mom I disciplined him as quietly as possibly and am going to SHG tonight to buy replacements before DH realizes they''re gone.

I hate men who try to flirt with you when you''re driving on the highway. I had some jackace in the middle lane pacing my car for 10 miles so he could catch my eye and smile at me. Flashing my ring didn''t make a difference. Scumbag.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Some people just have no clue, Mer! It''s annoying for sure.

Hey Haven -- I was wondering if you could give me some advice. I''m in the middle of trying to declutter grad school papers and books, and I can''t get myself to throw anything out. We have the same masters degree, although we chose to use it at different levels. What would you do if you had books from methods classes that you haven''t looked at in years? How about papers you''ve written and outdated articles you were required to read 7-10 years ago? I have binders FULL of random articles, papers, assignments, etc. What did you do with all your stuff?

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I can''t wait to head out to New Orleans on Thursday. Family wedding on Friday then French Quarter Festival all weekend.

After my last few weeks, I need a little French Quarter time.
9.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
The weather is FANTASTIC

last week I didn''t get charged for my riding lesson b/c my trainer "couldn''t fix" me. LOL

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/6/2010 9:56:24 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
A few things this lovely April morning.

My dear childhood friend passed away last week due to complications from liver cancer. The cancer was a side effect of a genetic condition she was born with and she''s been battling it for the past year. She was 30 and has a 4 year old daughter
39.gif
7.gif

My dog ate my husband''s $150 sunglasses late last night. Like a good mom I disciplined him as quietly as possibly and am going to SHG tonight to buy replacements before DH realizes they''re gone.

I hate men who try to flirt with you when you''re driving on the highway. I had some jackace in the middle lane pacing my car for 10 miles so he could catch my eye and smile at me. Flashing my ring didn''t make a difference. Scumbag.
I was on my way to work the other day and guy was doing that, he held up his cell and mouthed "let me get your number" I mouthed back something along the lines of " Oh, hell no." He then proceeded to follow me to the office (couple miles away). Making it OBVIOUS that he was following me. I called the office and had someone come outside, he saw that person and was about to turn in behind me and stopped and proceeded on his merry way. WHAT is WRONG with guys like that?! Almost makes me want to pick my nose or something really unattractive to stop situations like that. LOL, could you imagine? Dude rolls up, tries to hit on you, you in turn pick your nose and then politely wave. Then hold up a sign you have had in the car for a situation just as this that says " I WIN".
11.gif

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
HH I''m so sorry to hear about your friend''s passing. I''m thinking about you and her family.

Jen

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry about your friend passing away, HH.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you ladies.

Renee, funny you should mention picking your nose. I had just blown my nose when I noticed him so I wasn''t sure if he saw and thought I had picked it and was laughing at me or something like that. But no, he kept it up...scary about being followed!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
sorry about your friend HH

Someone ... anyone... please tell my brain to STOPPIT.... right now. STOP. Thanks

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hudson,
Sorry about your friend. My thoughts go out to you, her, and to her daughter too. How tough for a little child trying to cope with that.
7.gif

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/5/2010 12:49:28 PM
Author: meresal

Date: 4/5/2010 12:40:03 PM
Author: Strawdermangrl
We are!! I didn''t know you were a Houstonian!! I big puffy heart baseball. We always make our way over to The Bus first then we...ahem...stumble over to the stadium. When are you due??
I''m due in 24 days! We will be at the bus as well for at least a beer or two (for DH and his brother, of course). If you see a lonely preggo looking longingly at the bar, you will know it is me!

I''m just hoping that this season opener goes better than last year! I can''t even explain the look on DH''s face when the second pitch of the season last year was a bomb to the right field. Horrible!

I live in Houston now, and cheer for the Astros, but I grew up with season tix for the Rangers and cheer for them at all 6 games they play against eachother! We are a home divided.
9.gif
I looked but didn''t see anyone!! We will just have to wait until you are able to enjoy a frosty adult beverage.
36.gif
In other news... Roy O shouldn''t have eaten at The Taste of Texas on Sunday! LOL, all that meat made him sluggish. I kid. I kid. Looking forward to the Phillies playing us this weekend..although, being from Philly its a hard call. :)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2010 9:56:30 AM

Hey Haven -- I was wondering if you could give me some advice. I''m in the middle of trying to declutter grad school papers and books, and I can''t get myself to throw anything out. We have the same masters degree, although we chose to use it at different levels. What would you do if you had books from methods classes that you haven''t looked at in years? How about papers you''ve written and outdated articles you were required to read 7-10 years ago? I have binders FULL of random articles, papers, assignments, etc. What did you do with all your stuff?
Hey Zoe!

I just went through all of my grad school stuff last summer after I quit my HS job.
I sold all of the textbooks that I hadn''t used in the last year. It was a bit easier for me to weed books out than it will be for you, I imagine, because most of the books catered to K through 6 grades, so they just didn''t apply.

I also recycled all of my papers after making sure that I still had the electronic copies saved to my computer. As for old articles, I recycled those, too. I took a long time to go through them and saved the ones I thought I might reference in the future, but most of them went into the recycle or printing bin.

It was hard to get rid of all that stuff, but I honestly haven''t missed any of it. I kept my portfolio and the comments that the review panel made on it, and a handful of books that I''ve used, but I started with ten binders and ended up with two.

Good luck going through it all! I know it''s hard to toss stuff, but if you haven''t used it in the last year, what are the odds that you''ll ever pull it out?

(Of course, now I''m slated to teach a class with my alma mater this summer, and OF COURSE that''s one of the textbooks that I sold. Ha! They''re giving me a new edition, anyway.)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
HH--I''m so sorry for your loss.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just got my kindle!!!! I''m very excited. It''s so light.
I hope my Kindle cover from an etsy artist arrives soon!

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
all this rain is making me extremely lazy...
24.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gah! It really bothers me when people write posts ALL IN CAPS! Sure, use all caps in a word for emphasis on occasion (I''m guilty), but writing your whole post in caps makes you look like a moron.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/6/2010 2:27:55 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Gah! It really bothers me when people write posts ALL IN CAPS! Sure, use all caps in a word for emphasis on occasion (I''m guilty), but writing your whole post in caps makes you look like a moron.
I DON''T KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN? I THOUGHT THE BIGGER MY LETTERS, THE SLIMMER I LOOK. IS IT NOT WORKING?
12.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Almost as well as those horizontal stripes!

Seriously though, when you have to read an entire post in all caps (or all italics for that matter) it''s really hard on the eyes. And for some reason I always equate all caps with morons. Not all italics though, that''s just hard to read.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
I should be working right now, but I picked up my long-haired cat at lunch from getting his first lion cut of the season, and can''t quit laughing at how adorably cute his is. Thought I would share:

kat.kirby.lion.cut.JPG

katamari

Ideal_Rock
So sorry to hear of your loss, HH.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/6/2010 3:37:38 PM
Author: katamari
I should be working right now, but I picked up my long-haired cat at lunch from getting his first lion cut of the season, and can''t quit laughing at how adorably cute his is. Thought I would share:

Sooooo cute!
35.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2010 1:51:03 PM
Author: Haven
Date: 4/6/2010 9:56:30 AM

Hey Zoe!

I just went through all of my grad school stuff last summer after I quit my HS job.

I sold all of the textbooks that I hadn''t used in the last year. It was a bit easier for me to weed books out than it will be for you, I imagine, because most of the books catered to K through 6 grades, so they just didn''t apply.

I also recycled all of my papers after making sure that I still had the electronic copies saved to my computer. As for old articles, I recycled those, too. I took a long time to go through them and saved the ones I thought I might reference in the future, but most of them went into the recycle or printing bin.

It was hard to get rid of all that stuff, but I honestly haven''t missed any of it. I kept my portfolio and the comments that the review panel made on it, and a handful of books that I''ve used, but I started with ten binders and ended up with two.

Good luck going through it all! I know it''s hard to toss stuff, but if you haven''t used it in the last year, what are the odds that you''ll ever pull it out?

(Of course, now I''m slated to teach a class with my alma mater this summer, and OF COURSE that''s one of the textbooks that I sold. Ha! They''re giving me a new edition, anyway.)

Thanks Haven! You know, we may have had this conversation before. Sorry about that. I''ve weeded through binders and pulled out any old articles to recycle. Going through books has been a pain but I think I''m going to toss my methods books and keep the best ones written by some of my favorite reading gurus. Thanks so much for getting back to me!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
HH -- I''m so sorry about your friend passing away.

April20

Ideal_Rock
HH, I''m sorry about your friend. That is so very sad.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I got internet access on the plane! I did the 30 day subscription because I''m flying a ton this month. I worked on the flight up and decided to play on the flight home. This is great!

And I was upgraded, so I''m living off Sun Chips and vodka tonics today. I''m thinking of picking up Thai food on the way home.

April20

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2010 1:52:21 PM
Author: Haven
I just got my kindle!!!! I''m very excited. It''s so light.
I hope my Kindle cover from an etsy artist arrives soon!
You are going to love it! I love mine. It''s so light and easy to carry and the battery lasts forever. There are free books monthly that are available to download, though you do have to weed through the crap. Some of them are free for a reason!!

Will you post a pic of your cover when you get it? I just have the basic black one from Amazon and would love to have something fun.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results