shape
carat
color
clarity

I Just Like Sticking It To The Man

Thparkle

Rough_Rock
The more I learned about gems over the years, the more cautious I became as a collector and the more I realized that what is more important to me about my baubles is how nicely the scintillate and sparkle. So I have gradually moved on to lab grown and I think it is a major trend for future generarions.

I recently had an independent GIA gemologist look at some of my pieces, one of which was a recebtly aquired lab grown round with a 10.5mm spread.

She began lecturing me about how lab growns had no resale value. To that I replied that I had no plans to resell and that her point was valid for most natural diamonds as well.

She explained how the pricing was not well regulated yet went into the story of how pearls lost market value when cultured pearls hit the market.

I told her I was not concerned with market value and that I would not be buying most types of stone if investment was my end goal anyhoo.

She lectured me about how lab growb diamonds are just as much if not even more if a carbon footprint than natural diamonds and that claims to the contrary were misleading.

I told her deBeers had been misleading men for decades and that I wanted no part of the natural diamond story nor did I see a reason why mining was somehow better.

I further explained that I would much rather give leftover money to the artisans who craft works of art with gemstones set into jewelry-natural or not- and that I can think of no higher form of artistic integrity than a business who supports its artists. The sketching, the setting, the CAD the engraving, the filigree, and the polishing. And the relationship. And the process.

And that growing gemstones in a lab is to me a celebration of scientific achievement.

As a skeptic who values scientific inquiry and never did care for trendy marketing, I thoroughly enjoy watching the recent deBeers commercials online continuing to market that "only natural diamonds will do" BS. They are scared.

My lab made sparklies make me proud. I show my lady friends and brag and they often comment on how they just cannot get on board with lab growns.

My lab grown is a celebration if my independent thinking and of not-giving-a-shit approach to what others will think of my own art. I understand jewels far more in depth than they ever will. Let them spend five times more at Jared for mediocity.

I do not live in a world where my status is often questioned and I can afford to have it so.

My diamond has nothing to prove. Bitches:)

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The self-righteous smugness on display here is unattractive but amusing. You might consider taking some time away from this forum, if these topics distress you so. And perhaps some pumice to the chip on your shoulder as well?

Thparkle

Rough_Rock
The self-righteous smugness on display here is unattractive but amusing. You might consider taking some time away from this forum, if these topics distress you so. And perhaps some pumice to the chip on your shoulder as well?
I have zero chips on my shoulder last time I checked my entire post was written with a smile. Perhaps that offends you? Is not this a forum for lab grown diamonds? LoL

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope I’m actually smiling too lol

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

I thought your post had great tounge in cheek
Good for you standing up to the man !

Perhaps its a time difference thing
Its 1.30 pm here so ive been up and about for hours but am not yet tired from the day

Of course feel free to enjoy lab diamonds - my question isn’t about that at all actually, but I’m confused about what you said regarding pearls… natural pearls have almost always enjoyed a significant price advantage over cultured pearls in my understanding; because natural pearls are just that rare. There was some fluctuation in the 90s I believe, according to an FT article I read, but that corrected itself fairly quickly within a decade or so. The prices today for both are reasonably well established; but not even remotely comparable, natural pearls are ridiculously expensive in comparison, and their resale value is also very high.

Ultimately we can agree to disagree on this - I am not sure if this is what you said, so not trying to put words in your mouth, but in my opinion, I don’t see LGDs causing natural diamonds to either go away or lose most of their value over a long term perspective; but of course there’s a robust market for them; and, if you’re not approaching them as an investment or store of value over a long term horizon; it’s totally fine and valid. Both LGDs and naturals are valid choices, no one should be shaming anyone for going for either.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s good to see someone who stands for what they believe and doesn’t let someone rain on their parade! Kudos!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
FYI De Beers are also the only honest LGD growing company in my opinion. They are selling all sizes at $800 per carat which is only twice what most LGD's will be in a decade.
Your 10mm stone 4-5carat LGD will probably cost $2,000 to $3,000 as it is cheaper to produce one 4ct than four 1ct or eight half carat diamonds.
This will probably take a decade.
It would be fun to show provenance "my diamond was one of the first woman made diamonds darling granddaughter" way back in 2020! And I can remember when we carried phones with us, that are now imbedded in our head at birth.

GreenPapaya

Brilliant_Rock
Forget that! In 15 years I hope we'll be able to print our own jewelry; to include man made diamonds and other gems. I can't wait to print a copy of some of Elizabeth Taylor's necklaces!
:cool2:
I just finished watching Upload on Amazon prime and it's disturbing, can't wait for next season.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Forget that! In 15 years I hope we'll be able to print our own jewelry; to include man made diamonds and other gems. I can't wait to print a copy of some of Elizabeth Taylor's necklaces!
I just finished watching Upload on Amazon prime and it's disturbing, can't wait for next season.

Printed diamonds....... Hilarious.
We already print jewelry. But it can still take hours of skilled artisan work to finish assemble solder and set.

GreenPapaya

Brilliant_Rock
Oh nice!! Okay maybe in less than 10 years I'll be able to print some diamonds! And I hope by then we'll be able to print completely assembled jewelry. And complete meals. So tired of cooking. I just want to print some hot soup right now.

sparklynurse

Rough_Rock

I'm thinking of the Crown Jewells! The Kooh-I-Noor or the either of the Stars of Africa will do nicely for me :lol:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh nice!! Okay maybe in less than 10 years I'll be able to print some diamonds! And I hope by then we'll be able to print completely assembled jewelry. And complete meals. So tired of cooking. I just want to print some hot soup right now.

I’m still waiting for my Star Trek replicator to make my meals.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results