shape
carat
color
clarity

I just had a heart wrenching dog experience

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was walking our two dogs when a stray just walked up and joined us.
She looked like a Shih-Tzu who was very happy, healthy and well groomed.
There was no dog fight, in fact our dogs seemed to like her.

She had no collar and was clearly a dearly-loved and well cared for pet.
She was very friendly with me and just wanted to join our pack, so to speak.

She followed us home and I put our two dogs in the house while I kept her in our fenced back yard.
I offered her some food but either she was not hungry or was too excited to eat.
I called our city's animal control, and they said they could pick her up within 6 hours or I could bring her in.
I put her in a crate with folded towels for her feet, and lined my back seat with plastic then towels, put the crate in and covered the crate with a blanket to help calm her down.

On the way to the animal shelter she cried but stopped when I talked to her.
I kind of ran out of things to say so I sang old folk songs to her in a low voice, which stopped her whimpering.

Our city has a wonderful clean and modern animal shelter.
Unfortunately because many humans are not responsible lots of dogs and cats ARE eventually euthanized.
I'm sure that will not be the fate of this sweet dog.

Next I'll put up signs around the neighborhood describing the dog found and the shelter's phone number.
This dog was so sweet and friendly and healthy that I'm sure the owner is devastated and will get their dog back.
Even if that does not happen within the shelter's deadline someone will adopt this dog in a heartbeat.
I got no pics cause I was in a hurry.

When I got home I kissed and hugged our two dogs and felt so much love for them.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Kenny!!! How sweet of you (and so responsible, too!) That dog sounds like a sweet heart - i hope it is reunited with its family ASAP!
What a nice thing you did - kept it safe while it waits to be retrieved. Worse fates could have happened to it....

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I know it was tough but you did the right thing. The dog could have been hit by a car and killed. Or taken by someone other than the owner. Or even from another animal hurting the dog. There have been reports of small dogs and cats being killed by coyotes where I live. And recently owls. Hopefully he/she is microchipped and they can finder the owner that way. I have my cats mircrochipped in case they get out. Also, if one of them out and I could not find them, I would call any shelter within the area and also call animal control to see if they were picked up. I think bringing the dog somewhere safe will help reunite him/her with their owner and keep them safe.

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
You are a lovely pet owner Kenny, if I lost my pet and someone did that for me I would be so grateful. Please let us know if you find out what happened to this dog.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Lottie|1334429531|3171024 said:
You are a lovely pet owner Kenny, if I lost my pet and someone did that for me I would be so grateful. Please let us know if you find out what happened to this dog.

ditto. And that you did you best to keep the dog from being scared. Made me smile because when I take my cats to the vet, they are in the carrier with their cozy pet beds and I talk to them and sing to them in the car and it calms them down. You are an awesome pet owner and good person for watching out for that dog.

fabulousfindk

Shiny_Rock
As someone who spent two days last summer searching for her lost beloved pug, I have to tell you, you are so awesome for doing that. Not everyone would take the time to care for it and do what you did. I will be grateful to the family that found my dog and contacted me (they saw one of my millions of flyers) forever!!! I really hope his family finds him soon.

What a huge impact dogs have on our lives. I wish more people cared about them like you do!

hoover

Shiny_Rock
asscherisme said:
Lottie|1334429531|3171024 said:

ditto. And that you did you best to keep the dog from being scared. Made me smile because when I take my cats to the vet, they are in the carrier with their cozy pet beds and I talk to them and sing to them in the car and it calms them down. You are an awesome pet owner and good person for watching out for that dog.

+1 :appl:

Good for you Kenny! I hope that pup's family finds her soon, too!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, but I don't want to break my arm patting myself on the back here.

A better person would have housed and kept the dog for a while to try to find the owner directly without involving the shelter, and the chance of that unthinkable possibility.

I just don't want to turn into one of those crazy cat ladies with 200 cats taking over the house. :o

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Kenny, please post a message on your local craigslist's lost and found. You may even find that the owners have already posted there. In my area, there's LOTS of reunions of lost pets with their through craigslist.

There's a good chance that the owners are desperately searching for their dog and calling all area shelters and animal patrols. You did a good thing!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wonderful news!!!

I printed up some DOG FOUND posters and went out to post them.
I started where I first saw the dog.

Guess what, at that intersection there was already a LOST DOG poster with a pic of her.
Her name is Elsie and I left a msg on her Daddy's voicemail so I'm sure Elsie will be back home today
I feel wonderful!!!!!

Now Daddy must prove he owns the dog and present proof of license and vaccinations to get her back.

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
:appl: :appl: :appl: I do like a happy ending!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awesome job Kenny. I wonder if she is microchipped? Hoping they will check for that. I hope she is reunited with her owners, she probably slipped out the door. Glad you were the one to take her to the animal center.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's silly but I'm tearing up over this. ;(

I just love our dogs so much and can't imagine anything bad happening to them.
Dogs really wriggle their way into our hearts.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
So glad to know Elsie and daddy will be back together soon! We all love happy endings :appl:

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's not silly, I'm tearing up too! I've been on the other end, with a lost pet who was found. Getting my cat back ranks up there as one of the happiest moments of my life -- including marriage and childbirth.

Great job Kenny! So happy for you, the owners and of course the dog!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now I feel a little bad I brought the dog to the shelter.
That whole experience was traumatic for the dog and a hassle for the owner.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don't feel bad. You had no idea how quickly and happily this would resolve. It could have easily been a much worse situation. You did the right thing.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know me and pics.
Here are the posters with the location info removed.
You gotta see how cute Elsie is.

Dog Found.png

Screen shot 2012-04-14 at 1.53.28 PM.png

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kismet brought the two together. I find this thread so uplifting :bigsmile:

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
What a great story!! Glad Elsie made it home safely. Kenny, don't feel bad, that was definitely the right thing to do!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The dog owner just called me, ALL pissed off.

He said ...

You found my dog but you couldn't even wait two F-ing hours.
I'm unemployed so I'm not able to pay $236 to get my dog out and now the dog will probably get put to sleep.

Just thought I'd let you know.
Thanks a lot.
Have a nice day.
Then he hung up.

I am beside myself.
I don't know what to feel besides sick.

I knew I should not have left my phone number on his voice mail expecting a thank you.
I'm so stupid.
Some people just suck!

I assume he did not have the dog licensed or vaccinated and they required that before they'd release the dog.
I'm thinking of paying the fee for him.

What do you think?
I love the dog but hate that man.
GGGRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That stinks Kenny. You did a good deed and saved his dog from being hit by a car and he's pissed off??? People just amaze me sometimes. If he wanted to prevent this, the dog should have been wearing a collar or chipped, which would have eliminated this episode altogether. Shame on him for being so ugly.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Wow Kenny that guy DOES suck! What a jerk!! Don't let him get you down- what you did was incredibly kind and responsible. If you had done this for me/my dog, I would have called to thank you profusely and I'd send you a nice gift basket. Thats the correct response. Don't let his reaction lessen your knowledge that what you did was wonderful!

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
He is frustrated and looking for someone to blame. He doesn't realise how lucky he is that his dog wasn't hit by a car or that someone didn't just keep it. What an arse and how awful to have done a good deed for someone and be made to feel bad or upset by their deluded ingratitude.

Even if he leaves it there, a dog like that will most likely be adopted very soon.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny, you did the right thing. Hopefully things will still work out for the dog. I think the guy was being a big jerk and possibly lying to you too. Poor dog. Wish she had nicer owners who knew how to properly look after her. Not your fault at all. Most people would have just let her stay on the street to die. At least she's being looked after. I hope it works out for her.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I called the shelter and they looked up this case since I brought the dog in.
They told me they even offered to allow him to make 10 monthly payments of $23 and he still did not take the dog.
(I'm surprised they told me this but it was so expensive because he has another dog that is past due with licenses and vaccines.)
He left angry without the dog.

If he does not pay up and retrieve Elsie by April 27 she will go up for adoption April 28.

The woman on the phone confirmed that Elsie is an exceptionally nice dog and said she will very quickly be adopted into a new home.
She says in her experience a dog this sweet never stays long enough to get euthanized.

I'd love to adopt her BUT the jerk will probably see me walking what he still would think of as HIS dog in our neighborhood.
Plus of course Elsie will still love him if she sees him too.

Hmmmmm.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
As an animal lover, do you want Elsie to return to that ignorant lout? I'd say no way and if he saw me walking the dog and made a comment, I'd have another one to shout back :angryfire:

Think about it over the weekend, and if your heart tells you she needs you, go back and save her. :wavey:

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I had so many emotions reading this thread from start to finish. You did a wonderful thing and I was so happy to read that the dog had been identified by it's owner and was expecting a happy reunion. I was NOT expecting to read the owner's response to your kindness or his unwillingness to pay the fee to get his beloved pet back. Some people never cease to amaze me. :nono: I would adopt Elsie in a heartbeat if I were you and not give a rat's ass what the previous *owner* thinks when he sees you walking her. I could think of a few choice words for him if he ever had the gall to approach you, though. :Up_to_something:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lil Misfit|1334444727|3171167 said:
I had so many emotions reading this thread from start to finish. You did a wonderful thing and I was so happy to read that the dog had been identified by it's owner and was expecting a happy reunion. I was NOT expecting to read the owner's response to your kindness or his unwillingness to pay the fee to get his beloved pet back. Some people never cease to amaze me. :nono: I would adopt Elsie in a heartbeat if I were you and not give a rat's a$$ what the previous *owner* thinks when he sees you walking her. I could think of a few choice words for him if he ever had the gall to approach you, though. :Up_to_something:

+ 1

OMG!!! What an A$$hat. :shock: Holy cow. You saved his dog!!! The guy does not deserve that sweet pet.

I guess if you have 2 dogs right now, a 3rd could seem overwhelming, but I've BTDT with 3 for several years. They all got along, they all walked well on their leases together, it looked nuts when I walked them, but it was also kinda cool! Just to say, it can be done (having 3 dogs) if you really think that might be in the cards.

Still hung up on that moron calling you to give you whatfor .... what an idiot!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results